Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2016, 23:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Thought I'll make a chart with the old & revised prices, taking Ex showroom Delhi. For the "engine guys" there is a 320 variant which now falls under the 10L ex showroom bracket. Hope it retains the price across states like the 200 Zeta version last time.

S-Cross Revised Price Vs Launch Price chart - Ex Showroom Delhi

Maruti slashes S-Cross prices by up to Rs. 2.05 lakhs!-scross-price.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th January 2016 at 23:46.
swiftnfurious is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 23:33   #17
BANNED

The super discounts in december and the resultant surge in sales might have persuaded maruti for this correction to get some sales from creta. Otherwise, how can we justify a 2 lakh reduction in 1.6L's prices?

Remember, during the launch of baleno, one suzuki official stated that volume from India is very important for all models from suzuki. As scross is not doing that good in international markets where vitara is a hit, volumes for scross in India will be important for suzuki.

Now, scross 1.5L petrol has to start at 6.75L, brezza petrol to start at 5.5L, and brezza diesel to start at 6.5L. That is a killer pricing indeed.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 00:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hope it retains the price across states like the 200 Zeta version last time.
Unfortunately it isn't. But think the Delhi guys have an option now to get a powerful diesel under 10L if they are really interested.

Still a very quick move from Maruti to address the issue in hand and also paving way for future releases.

I was thinking if they could get the Vitara All Grip at S-Cross 1.6 Alpha's earlier price, it would be a hot seller.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 01:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing is unclear- How come Maruti decreased the price so easily without starting the local production? Were they being greedy earlier or are they now taking a loss by selling 1.6 Variant??

Nevertheless a very welcome move!! Wish this was the prices from Day-1. Maruti will have to aggressively promote the reduced prices for the common man to take notice. Price corrections have never worked in the Indian market, case being Old Baleno, Jazz and more recently, the Fiesta.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 07:27   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Price corrections have never worked in the Indian market, case being Old Baleno, Jazz and more recently, the Fiesta.

Regards,
Shashi

Well, there is always a first, with the revised pricing the Creta is exorbitantly priced now, if I were a prospective customer i would definitely skip the Creta and go for the Scross unless you consider looks to be your priority. The 1.6 will be a hoot to drive on the highways and you will enjoy every moment of it.
Chillout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 10:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Zeta 320 is not VFM as it looses quite a bit of features when compared to Zeta 200.

Cruise control, Automatic Climatic Control are the key ones.

Prospective Zeta buyers should be aware of this.

Edit: Maruti should correct this as soon as possible, if they want more numbers for 1.6.
but i am not sure about usage of cruise control in our country. I have a 200 zeta and trust me i am hardly able to ever use it for not more than 4-5 minutes and that too i have to be extra alert while doing it.
Definitely zeta 320 missed on automatic climate control, as it really works very nicely.
akshatmangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 10:46   #22
BHPian

Re: Maruti slashes S-Cross prices by up to Rs. 2.05 lakhs!

A minute's silence for all those who were forced to go for the DDis200 a few months back due to budget constraints. A minute's silence for those who opted for the DDis320 too a few months back. Both these categories of people must be kicking themselves now.

In the long run, this really leaves a bad taste in the mouth for existing customers and shows Maruti in poor taste. Customers would be wary of new launches in future, and the loser would be none other than Maruti themselves
PearlJam is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 10:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

With this massive discount, are there any changes in the feature list of 2016 trims compared to 2015 model trims?

Would be good to have this parallel insight.

I doubt if MSIL was selling it at loss even now, no company will. They were under impression of brand recall by loyal customers to the brand, which didn't happen and the demand capsized right from the launch.

I am happy with this revision but with a pinch of salt.
Old 18th January 2016, 11:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Looks like i would have saved 30-40 k had i waited. However, more than the monetary aspect, what really hit me is the fact that, at the new pricing i would have blindly picked up the 320 Alpha. :(

But, like they say, "if you expect the Lion to not eat you, because you don't eat a Lion, then its your own fault"

Product Positioning, Ever Changing Market Dynamics, Competitor strategy everything has its own influence in a product pricing. As Individuals, each one's perceived value will also vary time to time.

My one good consolation factor is that my move was accelerated because we needed a car as earliest as possible. Now we don't know when the new S Cross Stocks might come.

Are you sad, Mi10?
  • Yes, Devastated
  • Not at all, i don't care even if S cross in priced lower or higher
  • Sometimes, a small part of my heart bleeds when i see a 320 Alpha

Last edited by Mi10 : 18th January 2016 at 11:06.
Mi10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 11:05   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
A minute's silence for all those who were forced to go for the DDis200 a few months back due to budget constraints
Not really, for those who have opted for the DDiS200 Zeta variant there is not much to lose. Driving a new car for the first few months after its launch gives a great feeling that cant always be compensated by cash

If one has chosen the DDiS200 only on account of budget constraint but drive mostly on highways and a spirited driver then I term it as a wrong choice of car.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 11:27   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Not really, for those who have opted for the DDiS200 Zeta variant there is not much to lose. Driving a new car for the first few months after its launch gives a great feeling that cant always be compensated by cash

If one has chosen the DDiS200 only on account of budget constraint but drive mostly on highways and a spirited driver then I term it as a wrong choice of car.
Agree. Only those who got the 320 at the full launch price will be disappointed. 30-40K is not much of a difference for the DDIS200 buyers. There was always some or other discounts in that range going on. Just that its official now.

If this causes the sales to pick up, then its good news for folks who were wary of ASS and spares.
Old 18th January 2016, 11:35   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is Maruti publicly acknowledging that they goofed up the pricing. It's a bit of a and moment for me.

I'm very happy because, if you've seen my posts on the S-Cross review thread, I've been a staunch supporter of the 1.6. I've said it a 100 times - if you have to buy the S-Cross, it has to be with the fabulous 1.6L diesel. That engine is what makes the package complete. The engine is what makes the S-Cross special. With a 1.3L, it's just a big, mediocre Maruti hatchback.

The new pricing also means we'll be seeing some more 1.6s on the roads.

On the flip side, I feel terrible for:

- Those who bought the 1.3 because of budget constraints. They paid the same amount as a 1.6 today. If you are an enthusiast, you will always repent the decision.

- The S-Cross! Why do I feel bad for the car? Because, even if a price correction might help here (as it's within 5 months of launch), the true potential of the car won't be realised. There's nothing quite like a car that is priced right from day one. The S-Cross' oddball styling didn't help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
if I were a prospective customer i would definitely skip the Creta and go for the Scross unless you consider looks to be your priority.
I agree. The S-Cross is ugly, the Creta is a beauty.

However, in terms of driving feel & on-road behaviour, the S-Cross feels so much superior. I drove them within a couple of weeks of each other and the S-Cross came across as more solidly engineered.

Quote:
A minute's silence for all those who were forced to go for the DDis200 a few months back due to budget constraints. A minute's silence for those who opted for the DDis320 too a few months back.
LOL!

Honestly, even if I'd picked the DDiS 320 at the original price, I wouldn't feel as bad as those who are stuck with the DDiS 200. At least with the 1.6, the torque will make me grin every time I drive the car.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 11:58   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the long run, this really leaves a bad taste in the mouth for existing customers and shows Maruti in poor taste. Customers would be wary of new launches in future, and the loser would be none other than Maruti themselves
+1

And this looks worse than it actually is, because of the Nexa tag attached to the SCross.

Consumers will go on to say Nexa = arrogantly (and undeservingly) overpriced, rather than Nexa = premium offerings.

This is very OT: When Apple first launched the iPhone, it started out at $499 and most people bought the $599 version. Although the iPhone was a fairly good hit, Apple cut the price by $200 soon which naturally angered a LOT of people. Steve Jobs did something radical: he went on to give most consumers a $100 iTunes credit. If I were Maruti, I'd do something (anything: free services, accessories) to help the existing SCross customers less lousy about the raw deal they just got.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB118910651781519626
libranof1987 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 12:14   #29
BHPian

So the first step taken. Regularize the ridiculous discounts quoted , which were really hampering the image of this good car.
What remains now is for Suzuki to introduce a petrol variant and if possible an automatic also ASAP.
The Cross will then IMO see some real good numbers.
Old 18th January 2016, 12:23   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Consumers will go on to say Nexa = arrogantly (and undeservingly) overpriced, rather than Nexa = premium offerings.
Not always. They are queuing up in NEXAs for the superbly priced Baleno. And aptly given cold shoulders to the then-over-priced SCross 1.6. Customers nowadays are not that blind as earlier. They have many medias to get the information, and weigh up different options before taking the call.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 18th January 2016 at 12:24.

Most Viewed