Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 12:43   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti slashes S-Cross prices by up to Rs. 2.05 lakhs!

Good move IMO! They goofed up at the start, and I would say it's a pretty fast reaction to acknowledge mistake and do a price revision for a product which is still fresh in the market. I hope the 1.6 engine get the rightful response with this revision.

Also hope that Suzuki don't dilute the current variants to accommodate the price revision; they can actually think of a new top end variant for the 1.6, with all the bells and whistles (6 airbags, ESP etc).
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 12:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally, Maruti Blinked. This is a more realistic pricing

Wonder if the dealers will apply the " prices at the time of delivery will be applicable" policy here too ?

Last edited by condor : 18th January 2016 at 12:48.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 12:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Good move by Maruti to admit the mistake - Now it's price is justified. Wish they could have done this at the start - a lot of existing customer agony could have been avoided.

But, I do hope car makers would sit up and take notice. Many cars suffered due to ambitious price tags at launch - Jazz, Fiesta (end revision), S-Cross. Not many recovered from the disaster.
Old 18th January 2016, 13:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatmangal View Post
Speechless at this price correction. I think at this price zeta 320 will be a hot seller and absolute VFM will all features and build quality. Feeling bad as i could have been one of them...
I am also one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
A minute's silence for all those who were forced to go for the DDis200 a few months back due to budget constraints. A minute's silence for those who opted for the DDis320 too a few months back. Both these categories of people must be kicking themselves now.

In the long run, this really leaves a bad taste in the mouth for existing customers and shows Maruti in poor taste. Customers would be wary of new launches in future, and the loser would be none other than Maruti themselves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Looks like i would have saved 30-40 k had i waited. However, more than the monetary aspect, what really hit me is the fact that, at the new pricing i would have blindly picked up the 320 Alpha. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Good move by Maruti to admit the mistake - Now it's price is justified. Wish they could have done this at the start - a lot of existing customer agony could have been avoided.

But, I do hope car makers would sit up and take notice. Many cars suffered due to ambitious price tags at launch - Jazz, Fiesta (end revision), S-Cross. Not many recovered from the disaster.
Absolutely! Like Mi10, I really wanted to get the Alpha 320 but it was way overpriced when it was launched. I am really upset with Maruti now but happy at the same time for other prospective buyers. It has left a bad taste in my mouth about Maruti and will rethink before purchasing another product from Maruti/Nexa.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 13:26   #35
Team-BHP Support

If IFs and ANDs were pots & pans, there would've been no tinkers

Having bought the 1.3 because 11 L was the absolute maximum I was willing to spend on a 5 seater, I am not too disappointed. However, IF the 320 would've been in reach then, would I have extended my budget ? Guess I'll never know.

The good part is that this will make the car more popular, and that is always good.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th January 2016 at 20:03.
Eddy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 13:28   #36
BANNED

As a consolation and a move to cool down the mind of existing owners, Maruti can give a 20K cash in return for all the SCross 1.3 owners and 1L for 1.6 owners. 50-50!
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 13:38   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
...Scross will feel the heat starting February - reason: impending launch of Honda B-RV.

I, for one held off my purchase due to Scross being overpriced & after getting confirmed news that brv would be showcased at the Delhi auto expo with a Q1/early Q2 launch.
I wouldn't pick the BR-V simply because, as someone said, it looks like a glorified Mobilio. We already have the preview and the seats look thin! Will I pay a 10L+ for such a product where cost cutting is so obvious - No! I would anyday pick the S-Cross over the Honda products in 10L segment. Atleast, Maruti doesn't seem to cut cost to that extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I am wondering why would anybody buy C segment sedans anymore. S Cross 1.6 Alpha with all the features whatsoever at mouth watering prices. City top end VX with that tractor like sounding engine and pathetic build quality would be way costlier than the S Cross.
For a lot of the buyers in the 10L segment,

1. S-Cross is a Maruti and City is a Honda
2. S-Cross is more of a hatchback and City is a sedan
3. S-Cross doesn't have the boot & City has one!! Status of a City is at a higher level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
...In the long run, this really leaves a bad taste in the mouth for existing customers and shows Maruti in poor taste. Customers would be wary of new launches in future, and the loser would be none other than Maruti themselves
I have never been happy with this "rush to get my piece on the launch day" funda! The manufacturers milk the customers to such an extent by saying "Introductory price", take bookings without launching the product, hike the prices during waiting period etc. It's a trend that should change and I hope more of such pricing disasters help the customers open their eyes wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
...But, I do hope car makers would sit up and take notice. Many cars suffered due to ambitious price tags at launch - Jazz, Fiesta (end revision), S-Cross. Not many recovered from the disaster.
You missed the Kizashi! Cross posting one of my recent post. Looks the reaction is much better from Maruti this time; atleast they didn't kill the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Awesome - Maruti at its BEST in what they do! Develop a competent product, feel ecstatic about that, suddenly think they are a premium manufacturer, go bonkers with an un-realistic price!

After effects - low sales, huge discounts & finally kill a competent product by blaming low customer interest. Its sad that the Kizashi episode wasn't good enough for them to learn.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 13:43   #38
BHPian

While the reduction should get in a few buyers, but the dud feeeling will be difficult to pass, the pricing is still a bit high considering the OTR price in the end. The second thing they should do is to push the first adopters by offering them some incentives in the form of service vouchers, free accessories, etc. otherwise the bashing and resent will grow. Lastly, the lack of automatic is a turn off. Automatics are ruling the roost at the moment, and MSIL need to cash in. I would say another 25-50k has to be reduced in pricing and the introduction of the automatic. That should get them really blazing.
daywiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 13:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
As a consolation and a move to cool down the mind of existing owners, Maruti can give a 20K cash in return for all the SCross 1.3 owners and 1L for 1.6 owners. 50-50!
I am not greedy. I just wish for the HL of the Alpha. Isn't it fair ?
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 13:53   #40
BHPian

I got the 1.3 Zeta at INR 11,60,000/- in December. Which roughly boils down to what the price would be now with the revised prices. But then again, I would have had a 2016 car and the colour of my choice .

So I can't completely console myself. I'm pretty miffed actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
I am not greedy. I just wish for the HL of the Alpha. Isn't it fair ?
I completely agree. I want those projectors as well. It's only fair.
______

All in all, it's still an amazing car. So apart from the resale value taking a slight hit, anyone keeping this car for more than 5 years is a winner IMHO.
Jeevith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 13:57   #41
BHPian

I spoke to Nexa Dealer located near Defence Colony today.

They are offering further One Lakh Discount for the 2015 model.
As per them it will take 20-30 days for the 2016 batch to arrive, however they are accepting fresh booking for the new 2016 batch.

Last edited by dinesha : 18th January 2016 at 14:10.
dinesha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 14:04   #42
BHPian

Now, Maruti has given more reason to buy the S-Cross, than any other hatchbacks with less than 4m space!
The price of DDiS 320 is now in the vicinity of pseudo crossovers such as the i20 Active! (Of course, not counting the steep OTR difference between states after 10 lakhs for many places)
I do not think car buyers ever go shopping strictly to buy a crossover in India, and all the customers for such cars should come C2 / D1 segment sedans or monocoque SUVs (Duster, Ecosport, Creta).
Now, with this pricing, even a Diesel hatchback buyer with 10L budget, can stretch a little bit and get the DDiS 320!
Hope this price correction stays throughout the year, and it is not some stock clearance offer.
Old 18th January 2016, 14:10   #43
BHPian

I don't know whether it has been asked by someone earlier.

But what happens to the customers who have already bought S-cross at those steep prices?
Will MSIL repay the amount or leave those customers devastated?
As those customers will have to face huge losses when they will go out to sell their S-cross in the market.
Old 18th January 2016, 14:29   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
I don't know whether it has been asked by someone earlier.

But what happens to the customers who have already bought S-cross at those steep prices?
Will MSIL repay the amount or leave those customers devastated?
As those customers will have to face huge losses when they will go out to sell their S-cross in the market.
Nothing will happen. However, you can try emailing Maruti and check their response. Another option is to form a group and talk to them - with a larger group, you might be able to squeeze in some benefits.

FYI, My dad bought a car some years ago and there was a steep drop in the price, one week later. He did write to Maruti but nothing happened. I have a hunch they responded saying the discounts was for the festive season and price at the time of delivery was final.
Old 18th January 2016, 14:29   #45
BHPian

A good move by Maruti and this should surely help in increasing the sales of S-Cross, which is actually a very competent product but was let down by the astronomical prices.

Any person with a budget of around 10 lakhs in the market will surely have a look at S-Cross now and I hope the sales increase as such low sales for a good product was very unreasonable and was not healthy for the market as a whole as other manufacturers would also think twice before launching such a product, primarily feared by impeding low sales.

But by doing this Maruti has also provided a raw deal to the consumers who purchased S-Cross in last couple of months as now the amazing 320 can be had at the price of 200, which is an amazing value-for-money for an enthusiast. Maruti should offer some type of bonus to the previous owners who were brave hearted enough to buy S-Cross, even with the inflated prices.

Now the price conscious people can have the 200 while the enthusiasts can go for the 320. The competition has only increased with S-Cross directly competing with City, Verna, and it's sibling Ciaz. I am not sure, but if the move clicks then even the sales of these other cars maybe affected (but not by a huge margin), as in India we have a soft corner for cars with a proper boot.

And last but not the least, with this pricing, the prices of petrol S-Cross and Vitara Brezza can also be guessed, and if the petrol S-Cross starts anywhere around 6.5 lakhs ex-showroom, then that would be amazing pricing for such a well-rounded product. Hope that Maruti puts in the petrol motor from Ciaz with 91bhp and not the one in Swift, so that the higher kerb weight can be off-set by marginally higher power.

Some good days for the buyers are just around the horizon.

Thanks.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks