Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2016, 03:27   #91
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
This engine GB combo was present in the Gen 1 i20 as well and it was pathetic to say the least- neither was it efficient, not fast. hence it died a well deserved death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The Gen 1 i20 1.4L engine was non VTVT if I seem to recall correctly.
Not that it makes much of a difference though.
A car like i20 deserves a better GB than the old 4 speed one coupled with 1.4 L VTVT engine that seems to be on offer.
No, my friends, this engine-gearbox combo was NOT available on the earlier generation i20! Don't get mislead by the 1.4 litre capacity and 100 PS figure. The two engines are completely different!

The previous generation i20 AT had the 1396cc Gamma VTVT engine. This current i20 will get the newer, all-aluminium 1368cc Kappa Dual VTVT engine. As I've said it before many times, the horsepower and torque figures may be about the same, but the two engines are different. Period!

I expect the 1368cc Kappa to be more refined (especially at higher rpms) and also a bit more fuel efficient than the earlier 1396cc Gamma motor.

A 1.4 petrol motor coupled to a 4-speed AT may not be that fuel-efficient. Agreed. But slow? Ha! Let's see what GTO had to say in his review of the earlier generation i20 AT (1396cc Gamma):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 1.4L Automatic

The i20 Automatic gets a 1.4L petrol engine with 99 BHP (@ 5,500 rpm) and 136 Nm of torque (@ 4,200 rpm).

Start the engine & the supremely refined idle is immediately apparent. Shift the gear position into D and your left arm / leg can relax away to glory. Throttle response from 0 kph is excellent, thanks to the conventional torque converter gearbox. Piloting the i20 AT within the city is an effortless exercise, and engine noise is barely audible under a regular driving style. The 1.4L engine overall feels far peppier than the 1.2L MT, even with the automatic gearbox. For the times that you want to suddenly close that gap in traffic, the gearbox does take a moment to respond, yet it’s nowhere as lethargic as the Vento AT (as an example). This is definitely not a gearbox I would call lazy, with the kickdown response time being reasonably good. Spend a couple of kms driving the i20 AT and you’ll get completely accustomed to the engine & gearbox characteristics. You'll even learn how to press the accelerator just that much to invite a downshift. The light steering adds to the manoeuvrability factor...you can dart in & out of traffic with ease. I found the otherwise chaotic Mumbai evening traffic a breeze to tackle with the i20 AT. The engine upshifts early, at anywhere between the 1,750 – 2,000 rpm mark within the city. At 50 kph, the 1.4 is spinning over at a mere 1,500 rpm in 4th gear. With a light foot, the experience is very seamless, smooth and stress-free for the driver as well as passengers.

100 kph cruising speed has the rpm needle hovering at 2,600 rpm. With 99 BHP on tap and a fairly competent autobox, you can make fast progress on the expressway. In a pedal to the metal driving style, the gearbox will upshift at 5,800 – 5,900 rpm. The i20 has noticeably more muscle than its 1.2L sibling and can reach high speeds effortlessly, still having grunt for more. Yep, the i20 AT will pleasantly surprise you on the expressway. In L, 2 and O/D off modes, the engine will revv to a max rpm of 6,500 in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears (respectively). No issue with the brakes as the i20 AT gets disc brakes on all 4 wheels. This is a welcome move, more so in an automatic car.

As the rpm needle rises however, the 1.4L engine feels a generation too old compared to the 1.2L Kappa2 / VTVT series. It sounds quite unpleasant at 4,000 rpm, while the motor throws out an annoyingly boomy sound over 5,000 rpm. Noise aside, the 1.4L throws out no vibrations, even at 6,000 rpm.
I expect the newer, all-aluminium 1368cc Kappa motor to be much more refined at higher rpms than the earlier 1396cc Gamma. So the noise factor mentioned above shouldn't be an issue on the new i20 AT.

The Polo GT TSI with its 105 PS 1.2 litre turbo-petrol & 7-speed dual clutch transmission may be in a different league altogether, but I'll choose a 100 PS 1.4 litre motor coupled with a 4-speed torque converter over the two 80 ~ 90 PS 1.2 litre engines mated to screaming, whiny, noisy, rubber-bandy CVTs any day!!!

Last edited by RSR : 13th August 2016 at 03:41.
RSR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 11:18   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

The Polo GT TSI with its 105 PS 1.2 litre turbo-petrol & 7-speed dual clutch transmission may be in a different league altogether, but I'll choose a 100 PS 1.4 litre motor coupled with a 4-speed torque converter over the two 80 ~ 90 PS 1.2 litre engines mated to screaming, whiny, noisy, rubber-bandy CVTs any day!!!
Thanks for the nicely detailed explanation.

If and when the above AT model is reelased, it will be interesting to see a comparo between the Jazz CVT (1.2 L + CVT) and the (probable) i20 AT (1.4 L + 4 speed gearbox).
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 12:44   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai i20 petrol automatic to launch soon!!

Quote:
Hyundai is all set to launch an automatic gearbox-equipped version of the i20 in India. The automatic version will be offered with a petrol engine. However, the engine in question is new to India and is a 1.4-litre petrol unit that makes 99.2hp. The standard manual-gearbox equipped i20 petrol comes with a 1.2-litre 83hp motor. The gearbox on the i20 petrol AT will be a four-speed torque converter unit. This engine-gearbox configuration for the i20 petrol AT has been in production at Hyundai’s India plant though solely for export markets till now.

The i20 AT will rival the automatic versions of the Honda Jazz and the MarutiBaleno, both of which come with CVT gearboxes. Bookings for the i20 petrol AT have begun with deliveries being promised sometime around mid-September.

With the launch of the i20 AT, Hyundai will expand its line-up of automatic transmission cars in India. The Creta SUV with a petrol engine was made available with an automatic transmission last month and the all-new Elantra has been launched with automatic options for both petrol and diesel engines.
Source :http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-402845.aspx
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 12:58   #94
Lij
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 petrol automatic to launch soon!!

Wish it was the 1.4l T-GDI Kappa that could produce 140 bhp and 242 Nm of torque. Link here.

Will this come with all round disc brakes as was the case with the older version?

Last edited by Lij : 26th August 2016 at 13:03.
Old 26th August 2016, 13:42   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

And so its more or less confirmed that the car will come with 4 speed AT box. A sad decision by Hyundai specially for a car that they market as a luxury hatchback. Hyundai has always been generous with what the offer in the feature list of a car and force the segment to follow them. In this case it is deplorable that they couldn't even match the segment which includes the Jazz CVT and Polo DSG gear boxes.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 09:46   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
And so its more or less confirmed that the car will come with 4 speed AT box. A sad decision by Hyundai specially for a car that they market as a luxury hatchback. Hyundai has always been generous with what the offer in the feature list of a car and force the segment to follow them. In this case it is deplorable that they couldn't even match the segment which includes the Jazz CVT and Polo DSG gear boxes.
I read on Friday in AutoCarIndia's article (in the link given below) that Hyundai has begun accepting bookings for i20 Automatic. I called up Modi Hyundai and Shreenath Hyundai (Mumbai) and inquired with them if this is the case and they flatly refused.

Can someone shed light on this?. Here is the article and it is clearly written at the end of the article that Hyundai has begun accepting bookings and deliveries for the automatic will commence in September 2016.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-402845.aspx
Old 29th August 2016, 10:29   #97
BHPian

My dad is looking for a new car and he went to the Hyundai showroom on Saturday.

Surprisingly the i20 brochure already has specs for the 1.4 Automatic in it. So, it should be launching pretty soon. The 1.4 Automatic is not mentioned in the price list though, so it seems the brochure is providing some early news. I have attached a couple of photos of the brochure below for anyone who wants to take a look.

Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!-img_20160829_102251.jpg

Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!-img_20160829_102328_044.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 29th August 2016 at 10:55. Reason: Inserting watermarks
nipcarlover is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 10:35   #98
Team-BHP Support

Looks like it will only be available in the Magna variant which is disappointing.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 10:40   #99
BHPian

Hi,

I read somewhere that the dimensions of the 5-speed and 6-speed AT torque converter boxes are more than the 4-speed ones. More than the cost, it could be the dimensions that prevent it from being fitted to the current engine bay.

In the case of Hondas, they have always planned for the 5/6-speed CVTs right from start.

I am not sure about this. Experts can comment on this.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Old 29th August 2016, 11:19   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

IAB states that the Elite i20 AT's launch is scheduled "within the next 7-10 days", and that production has already teed off and dealer dispatches should have started.

Quote:
Surprisingly, the i20 automatic will pack the bigger 1.4L Gamma VTVT petrol engine that produces 100 PS and 130 Nm of torque. It will be paired to a 4-speed automatic gearbox exclusively, and will be the only hatchback in its segment to feature a conventional torque converter.

Production of the variant has already begun at Hyundai Motor India’s Chennai plant and dealer dispatches should be underway.
Old 29th August 2016, 11:50   #101
BHPian

If it is a 4-speed and that too only in the Magna trim as the brochure says, then it is one of the biggest upsets of the year. No point buying this car because on a feature-by-feature comparison with its peers, it is the priciest of all with literally no bang for the buck!.

I believe I will have no choice but to look towards other manufacturers now and there will be so many who will echo my feelings. Really an ill-thought move by Hyundai !

Last edited by toofanwheels : 29th August 2016 at 12:16.
Old 29th August 2016, 11:54   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Only in the Magna variant is a huge disappointment. Should have been given in the Asta variant also. Guess that points to a big premium for the 1.4L and the AT.

The brochure also indicates Side and Curtain airbags for the Asta (O). Remember reading about this recently. So has this also been launched? That is a good move.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 12:23   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
No, my friends, this engine-gearbox combo was NOT available on the earlier generation i20! Don't get mislead by the 1.4 litre capacity and 100 PS figure. The two engines are completely different!

The previous generation i20 AT had the 1396cc Gamma VTVT engine. This current i20 will get the newer, all-aluminium 1368cc Kappa Dual VTVT engine. As I've said it before many times, the horsepower and torque figures may be about the same, but the two engines are different. Period!
RSR was right.

The 1.4L hearts of both generations of the i20 are different.

Specs of the previous-gen "Fluidic" i20 1.4L petrol AT:
Name:  Untitled.gif
Views: 2700
Size:  53.9 KB

Specs of the current-gen Elite i20 1.4L petrol AT:
Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!-img_2.gif

As can be seen, the 100PS peak power of this 1,368cc dual-VTVT Kappa unit kicks in a wee bit later at 6,000RPM, compared to the 1,396cc VTVT Gamma unit of the earlier-gen i20 which produced identical peak power at 5,500RPM.

Also, the torque figures have reduced by around 0.4Kgm, but it kicks in slightly earlier at 4,000RPM, instead of the peak torque kicking in at 4,200RPM in the previous-gen i20.

Real-world performance shouldn't differ by much, especially inside the city. I expect the TC transmission to bring out the best in this 1.4L mill as well, with excellent highway performance to boot. And, if it is an all-aluminium powerplant, NVH levels should be super-refined, specially when the engine is droning on at high RPMs.

Only downside - Hyundai India launching this excellent car-engine-transmission combo in a single "Magna" trim. If they are reading this, I hope they bring out at least an Asta variant of the 1.4L, if not an Asta(O) (now that side & curtain airbags are standard on the topmost trim).

People are ready to pay, Hyundai. Cater to the masses and the changing times, or it will be a regretful decision, not to mention a huge missed opportunity.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 12:46   #104
Senior - BHPian

Highly disappointed at Hyundai's approach of releasing the AT model in the 'magna' trim only.
There should at least have been another AT model released in the higher trims of 'asta' or 'asta(o)'.
Just like how Honda sells the Jazz in S (lower) and V (higher) variant.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 13:14   #105
Team-BHP Support

I don't get Hyundai's decision to not get Automatic in top variant. IT's the same with Creta and now with elite i20.

There are so many people ready to pay for Creta SX(O) but Hyundai still hasn't realsied that and continue to shove the SX+ Creta for the AT.

Now the same mistake with the Elite i20. The Magna is absolutely stripped down. People looking at the AT will want the features and the luxury associated with Hyundai. Maruti did that with the Baleno initially but now we have a Delta and Zeta variant of the CVT Baleno.

Ford in my book got it spot on with the Figo in Titanium and the Ecosport in Titanium+ with 6 airbags.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th August 2016 at 15:05.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks