Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2016, 23:55   #61
BHPian

re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
GaadiWaadi sources report that the Elite i20 will get a 7-speed Automatic gearbox, as it gears up to dethrone the Maruti-Suzuki Baleno from it's top spot in the segment.
This will put pressure on Jazz more than Baleno given its premium pricing and lack of features. 7 speed automatic is a pleasant surprise. Only if Hyundai could do something about its petrol engine. Turbo charged engine will be icing on the cake
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 00:15   #62
Senior - BHPian

re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

7-speed AT eh That's a surprise, was expecting the 6 speed unit from the Creta. Now cmon plonk the same on the diesel variant

I hope this also means, the 2017 Verna could get the same gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Don't forget VW Ameo TDi DSG coming in few months from now. It may have sub Rs. 10 lakh price tag at launch.
If you are talking about Ex-showroom, it could happen with the Comfortline variant. It might sit, slightly above the Polo Tsi.
Old 17th July 2016, 09:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Hyundai was almost taking forever in deciding which kind of combination to release for an automatic in i20, glad that they decided to go with the 7 speed gearbox which will lead to much better city drivability and fuel efficiency. Wonder if the engine will be the 1.2 natural aspirated one or a turbocharged engine or the same old 1.4. The 1.4 will be a mistake and will be better off being planted in the upcoming Verna for sake of green norms. Only hope they tweak the steering a bit more though, the current one is too light for comfort - almost scary.

Festival season release is very vague, we have Ganesh Chaturti which is around September and then we have Deepavali maybe 2 months later.. overall seems to be a lot of guessing left to do until the actual release happens.

The engine will be the same 1.4 with 7 speed gearbox. Can confirm this to you
shravan2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 21:27   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
GaadiWaadi sources report that the Elite i20 will get a 7-speed Automatic gearbox, as it gears up to dethrone the Maruti-Suzuki Baleno from it's top spot in the segment.
Interesting move by Hyundai. From what I read, 7 speed means it would be Hyundai's Dual Clutch Box. Hyundai's 7 Speed DCT is a relatively new transmission and quite surprising that Hyundai will bring it to India so soon.

Dual Clutch transmissions whether from VW group or from Ford have had a poor history, so just out of curiosity searched for 'Hyundai DCT problems' and unfortunately there is already several threads on issues with the DCT. Here is one titled 'Dangerous, Horrible DCT'. The kind of issues seems mostly related to weird behavior. (This is a 2016 Tuscon thread)

A summary from a member

Quote:
by the way, I created a list much like what member mad_sb had done previously of those that have reported the DCT issue and it seems that as of today, there are 69 members that have had this issue scattered throughout the forum.
04 members reported in the Weird Transmission Thread
01 in the Transmission Problem thread
03 in the Trans Temp is High thread
01 in the Sputtering Thread
01 in the My Dealer DCT thread
01 in the DCT How Yours thread, and
58 in this thread,
for a total of 69 members.
If it is the same 7 speed DCT Hyundai is bringing here, hope they ensure the issues are taken care off. The 1.4L engine with a 7 Speed transmission would be a good addition to the segment. Would definitely threaten then Jazz and Baleno CVT's.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 17th July 2016 at 21:34.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 23:00   #65
Senior - BHPian

DSG/DCT woes are endless and yet Hyundai chose to bring in DCT? They should bring in 6-speed torque converter and stay away from the troublesome dual clutch. Even CVTs are welcome, albeit a bit slow, but they are very reliable and have seamless shifts.

Hyundai is a rising star here and they would do well to avoid any ill-reputation like VW/Skodas. I watched review of dual clutch US Tucson and they didn't have good words to say about it. The reviewer preferred the torque converter variant even though it had different engine spec. Ok, I agree here that Americans generally have this bias for traditional torque converter but still seeing the ever present gremlins in dual clutches, IMO, Hyundai should avoid.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 09:53   #66
BHPian

Considering negative feedbacks, Hoping that this gearbox in i20 does not serve as testbed for the upcoming i30. Potential buyers (Read: Guinea pigs) need to be extra careful.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 19th July 2016 at 09:56.
Old 19th July 2016, 10:52   #67
Senior - BHPian

Is this dual clutch setup dry or wet clutch? any idea?
If there are problems with the same gearbox being used in the Tucson, has it something to do with the higher torque figures? (as in the skoda/vw?)
Lots of speculations and open questions for sure !!
But if Hyundai is bringing the 7 speed dual clutch AT gearbox here, for once I am happy that Hyundai has decided to leave the relative safety of the old 4 speed box and trying to offer something new.
Old 19th July 2016, 13:18   #68
BHPian

@Rajeevraj: What do you think abt the 6-Speed TC of the Creta/Elantra? is it reliable?
Old 19th July 2016, 14:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
@Rajeevraj: What do you think abt the 6-Speed TC of the Creta/Elantra? is it reliable?
Conventional Automatic / Torque Converter as well as CVT are more reliable (no major issues reported till now) when compared to DCT / DSG lot.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 18:39   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Is this dual clutch setup dry or wet clutch? any idea?
But if Hyundai is bringing the 7 speed dual clutch AT gearbox here, for once I am happy that Hyundai has decided to leave the relative safety of the old 4 speed box and trying to offer something new.
Surprisingly, there is not much technical info available online. What I could infer from this source is that it is a dry clutch setup. Screenshots below.

Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!-hyundaidual.jpg

Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!-hyundaidual2.jpg

Now am a little doubtful about the authenticity of this news. The 7 Speed Transmission is very very new and even internationally is only available in select higher end cars as a default option and only available in specific variants in cars like the Elantra. Hard to believe that Hyundai would bring it in so soon to India and that too in a mass market lower end model like the i20.

Or maybe the one coming to India is an entirely different 7 Speed (Doubtful though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
As Bhpian Simhi has mentioned above, Torque Converters are very reliable as are CVT's. These AT boxes have been around a long time unlike a DCT. DCT's started becoming mainstream only in the early 2000's.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 18:46   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Surprisingly, there is not much technical info available online.
So if this gearbox can handle the 195 lb ft of torque from the turbocharged 1.6L unit, guess it should be able to pretty easily handle the 84 lb ft (converted from 11.7 kg m) available from the 1.2L unit of the i20.
Old 24th July 2016, 10:13   #72
BHPian

According to Business Standard report, Hyundai will launch automatic variant in the next 2 months.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2200694_1.html

Sadly though, the report suggests that it could be 4 speed unit with 1.2 litre engine. To start with, I am hoping Hyundai launches automatic in the Asta (O) variant. Both Honda and Maruti have so far shyed away from launching auto in the top variant of Jazz and Baleno respectively.
Old 25th July 2016, 18:11   #73
BHPian

Zigwheels reports that Hyundai will introduce an automatic variant of the Elite i20 in the festive season. Could get a 4-speed or 6-speed torque converter unit. As the same engine fitted in 1.2L VTVT petrol with a 4-speed automatic in the Grand i10, the i20 could also feature the same transmission.
Otherwise, Hyundai could source the 6-speed unit from the Creta for better fuel efficiency and highway drivability.

SOURCE: ZigWheels

Last edited by Aditya : 27th July 2016 at 13:02. Reason: Adding source link
singh.saab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 18:51   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.saab View Post
Zigwheels reports that Hyundai will introduce an automatic variant of the Elite i20 in the festive season. Could get a 4-speed or 6-speed torque converter unit. As the same engine fitted in 1.2L VTVT petrol with a 4-speed automatic in the Grand i10, the i20 could also feature the same transmission.
Otherwise, Hyundai could source the 6-speed unit from the Creta for better fuel efficiency and highway drivability.

SOURCE: IndianAutosblog
My wish list is the 1.4L engine with 6 speed TC box as mentioned in this article.

https://motoroctane.com/news/30472-h...specifications
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 14:16   #75
BHPian

With demand for petrol cars increasing, I think Hyundai will have to do something about petrol engine in Elite i20. So far majority of the Elite i20 cars I have seen on road have been diesel.

I think Honda and Baleno will benefit immensely with changing consumer preference.

Not sure if Hyundai has any better petrol engine globally <1.2 litre

Most Viewed