Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2016, 16:14   #121
Team-BHP Support

This is what Hyundai's peers have done in this segment:

Ford has done something similar to their Figo - a bigger engine for the automatic variant. We get a 1.5 litre (in lieu of 1.2) engine + 6 speed Dual clutch gearbox + ESP + Traction control in the AT variant. All this for a premium of Rs. 1.5 Lacs over the manual 1.2 Titanium variant.

Honda uses the same 1.2 litre for both MT and AT variants of Jazz - but offers a CVT with paddle shifts for a premium of Rs. 1.3 Lacs over the manual.

Suzuki too uses the same engine for the Baleno AT, but they charge a premium of Rs. 1.2 Lacs over the manual. No paddle shifts though.

VW uses a TSi engine for the automatic (same size but produces 30 extra horses) Polo. For a premium of Rs. 2.5 Lacs over the manual top end variant, you get a 7 speed Dual Clutch gearbox + ESP

Nissan uses the same engine for both MT & AT variants of Micra. They charge a premium of just Rs. 80,000 for the CVT variant. However, this might be an old generation CVT, because there is a massive downgrade in performance (0 to 100 kmph takes 18 seconds!)

Hyundai themselves charge a premium of Rs. 1 Lac for Grand i10 AT (4 speed torque convertor) over the manual. No changes in the engine or features as such.

Note: Figo and Micra are cars from a segment lower than i20.

Last edited by Zappo : 31st August 2016 at 18:49.
SmartCat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 19:21   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

Some guess working the ex-showroom price from own stable and competition, to check if Hyundai really has the leeway to price with a ridiculous 2 lakh premium over the manual variant.

Below are the ex-showroom prices for competition from within the stable and outside. Note that these ex-showroom prices are for my city (Madras) not Delhi.

The competition within

i10 Magna AT - 6 lakhs
XCent S AT - 6.86 lakhs
i10 Asta(O) AT - 6.9 lakhs
XCent SX(O) AT - 7.91 lakhs (now discontinued)

By doing this, Hyundai technically has removed the upper limit restriction to play with from within.

Am guessing, they were already looking at an ex-showroom of i20 Magna AT to be close to XCent SX(O) AT (which is better equipped), by doing this they've killed the option of cross shopping the XCent SX(O) AT. But do the competitor offer that much leeway?

Below are the ex-showroom prices of the competition outside the stable. For reference the ex-showroom of i20 1.2 Magna MT is 6.25 lakhs:

Micra XV AT - 6.80 lakhs
Baleno Delta AT - 7.08 lakhs
Figo Titanium AT - 7.41 lakhs
Jazz S AT - 7.44 lakhs
Baleno Zeta AT - 7.70 lakhs
Jazz V AT - 8.34 lakhs
Aspire Titanium AT - 8.35 lakhs
Amaze VX AT - 8.36 lakhs

Anywhere above 7.4 lakhs ex-showroom, Figo AT looks VFM (it already is). Above 7.7, Maruti will breathe easy. If they get close to 8 lakh territory, they'll make Aspire and Amaze top end AT versions look VFM.

Their best chance looks to be pricing with a 1-1.2 lakh premium at the most. Let us C++

PS: I've left out Polo GT TSI on purpose.
narayans80 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 20:57   #123
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Their best chance looks to be pricing with a 1-1.2 lakh premium at the most. Let us C++
Guessing the price of the new 1.4 litre i20 Magna AT is fairly simple.

There would be three additional price components over the 1.2 Magna MT.

1) Additional cost of the gearbox -> 70 ~ 75 thousand rupees (ex-showroom), same as the Grand i10 & Xcent

2) Additional excise component, as the large 1.4 litre engine does not enjoy the same "small car" tax benefits as the puny little 1.2 litre engines -> my guesstimate is 50 ~ 60 thousand rupees

3) Additional cost of manufacturing the 100 PS 1.4 litre Kappa DOHC Dual VTVT over & above the 83 PS 1.2 litre Kappa DOHC Dual VTVT -> 5 ~ 10 thousand rupees (as the larger engine belongs to the same Kappa family and is made & exported from India)

Adding the three components, it comes to 1.25 ~ 1.45 lac rupees (ex-showroom), the mean of which is ~ 1.35 lac rupees (ex-showroom).

This is likely to be the additional cost over the 1.2 Magna MT. Quite sensible, if you ask me, considering the excellent larger engine-proper gearbox combination, plus additional taxes.

There is plenty of room left to offer the 1.4 litre AT in both the Asta(O) trim level, as well as the i20 Active's S or new SX(O) variant (with 6 airbags).

An i20 Active 1.4 SX(O) AT (with 6 airbags) would simply be a fantastic, mind-bogglingly good all-round premium hatchback!

I hope the foolish folks who decide the variants at Hyundai are reading this and decide accordingly.

Last edited by RSR : 31st August 2016 at 21:01.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 11:26   #124
BHPian

Hyundai has updated the website.

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html

It now lists the 1.4 Petrol with Dual VTVT (AT) variant in Magna trim.

Gets dual airbags, but no ABS.

No tilt / telescopic steering column, no rear view cam or parking sensors, no power folding mirrors, no height adjustment for driver seat, and no alloys.

Last edited by Yeldo : 1st September 2016 at 11:31.
Yeldo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 12:06   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Hyundai has updated the website.

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html

It now lists the 1.4 Petrol with Dual VTVT (AT) variant in Magna trim.

Gets dual airbags, but no ABS.

No tilt / telescopic steering column, no rear view cam or parking sensors, no power folding mirrors, no height adjustment for driver seat, and no alloys.
With that huge list of No's, it would have been shorter if you had listed the actual features that are available!
A half hearted poke towards reintroducing AT in i20 in my opinion.

If I am to swap in my 7 year old i10 Asta AT for the current i20 Magna AT (which is a segment above), it might feel like a downgrade with the ABSENCE of sunroof, foglamps, rear wash/wipe/defogger, tilt steering, leather steering/gearknob/handbrake, rear adjustable headrests, luggage lamp, passenger airbag, and ABS from the current car I drive !!

Last edited by blackasta : 1st September 2016 at 12:08.
blackasta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 12:35   #126
Senior - BHPian

No ABS for an Automatic car makes it silly. The car rolls far more than a manual car and it would have been imperative to provide it for this car. Just having ABS and Airbags would have made it desirable to a lot of people who want something better than the anemic 1.2L engines.

Just read that the Grand i10 comes with a 4-Speed transmission in Europe as well. I was glad
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 12:55   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
No ABS for an Automatic car makes it silly. The car rolls far more than a manual car and it would have been imperative to provide it for this car. Just having ABS and Airbags would have made it desirable to a lot of people who want something better than the anemic 1.2L engines.

Just read that the Grand i10 comes with a 4-Speed transmission in Europe as well. I was glad
I dont think 1.2L engine of i10 is anemic yes its not a scorcher but its no slouch either, have driven it for 25k kms now and can vouch for the engine. Of course plonking a larger 1.4 with AT would be a different ball game altogether which incidentally the earlier i20 did have so it defeats me why the current i20 Magna AT is such a half hearted attempt, not sure why.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 13:51   #128
Senior - BHPian

RSR, they still have to price it competetively against competiton, not just against themselves. Hence the useless exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Just checked, even the i20 is sold with the 4-speed AT box. Here's the spec sheet of the Italian Hyundai i20. i30 is the start model where you can start seeing the 7-speed DCT.

However i10 sells with all sorts of bells and whistles like 6 airbags, ABS, VSM, ESP, TPMS compared to its Indian counterpart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I dont think 1.2L engine of i10 is anemic yes its not a scorcher but its no slouch either, have driven it for 25k kms now and can vouch for the engine.
Depends on the car it is plonked The i10 is a much lighter car(atleast 100 kg I'd presume) compared to the i20. So the same mill with same tuning feels a lot different between the 2 cars in comparison. I had test driven the i20 and i10 petrol in 2010, before eventually buying and driving the i10 the next 3 years. The i20 is definitely slow off the blocks and slow to progress in comparison.

The i10 isn't extraordinary either, but it was the one that provided a better commute experience compared to the competition for the price point at that time.
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 15:46   #129
BHPian

i20 Automatic Magna Trim Prices Revealed ! Explosive Pricing !

Talked to Shreenath Hyundai's representative Mubin just a while back regarding pricing.

Hyundai has priced it as ~INR 9,42,000 (Ex Showroom Mumbai) and Mubin confirmed that this works out to ~INR 10,70,000 (On Road Mumbai) for barebones Magna variant plonked with a prehistoric 4 speed torque converter !

No thanks Hyundai, I am buying a Honda City SV CVT by paying maybe 1.4 lakhs more and getting an arguably more premium brand with arguably more space and better interiors than Hyundai thinks it is offering !

Absolutely bollocks pricing ! I seriously want to have whatever Hyundai is smoking !

Last edited by toofanwheels : 6th September 2016 at 15:51.
toofanwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 16:12   #130
Senior - BHPian

Re: i20 Automatic Magna Trim Prices Revealed ! Explosive Pricing !

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post

Hyundai has priced it as ~INR 9,42,000 (Ex Showroom Mumbai)
3 lakh premium over the manual Magna !!!
This one's priced NOT to sell even a single piece.
Old 6th September 2016, 16:23   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai has priced it as ~INR 9,42,000 (Ex Showroom Mumbai)
The Polo TSI costs roughly the same amount in Chandigarh, give or take a few thousand. You get a 7 speed DSG and the feel of a true sporty hatch, and Hyundai is planning to sell a barebone hatch with a dinosaur age gearbox. Really disappointed by Hyundai and the guys who planned this.

You need to put your best foot forward during any product launch, especially when it shares its base with a product that is selling so well. Get your act together Hyundai, or Baleno will force you to get it together.
jasjotbains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 16:32   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
3 lakh premium over the manual Magna !!!
This one's priced NOT to sell even a single piece.
That's the first of explosions we are seeing.
The funny part is that Hyundai rep Mubin was himself arguing over the phone with other reps who were telling him the quoted price saying how is this pricing possible- I could hear in the background when I was asked to wait a minute.

Finally he sheepishly told me the pricing with a sense of disbelief and I felt he was pretty apologetic about the price. When I asked him about the on-road price, he sheepishly calculated and told me the final price.

When Hyundai reps themselves have no confidence in this sort of pricing, does Hyundai expect the public to be fools? Absolutely ridiculous pricing !
Old 6th September 2016, 16:32   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Talked to Shreenath Hyundai's representative Mubin just a while back regarding pricing.

Hyundai has priced it as ~INR 9,42,000 (Ex Showroom Mumbai) and Mubin confirmed that this works out to ~INR 10,70,000 (On Road Mumbai) for barebones Magna variant plonked with a prehistoric 4 speed torque converter !
Wow if this is true, this car with the piece of crap 4 speed AT is 30k more than a GT TSi. Surely has to be the joke pricing of the year .

Last edited by reignofchaos : 6th September 2016 at 16:36.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 16:34   #134
BHPian

Darn, they added 4 airbags - for a grand total of 6 Airbags and Speed Sensing Auto-lock to the Manual Option pack. I just bought the Option back a few months ago - would have paid the minor premium for these features.
Old 6th September 2016, 16:35   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
The Polo TSI costs roughly the same amount in Chandigarh, give or take a few thousand. You get a 7 speed DSG and the feel of a true sporty hatch, and Hyundai is planning to sell a barebone hatch with a dinosaur age gearbox. Really disappointed by Hyundai and the guys who planned this.

You need to put your best foot forward during any product launch, especially when it shares its base with a product that is selling so well. Get your act together Hyundai, or Baleno will force you to get it together.
Come the last quarter of 2016 and we will see how the launch of Baleno Boosterjet will kill the market of hot hatches ! I believe Hyundai was rather better off not launching the i20 Automatic than launching such a ridiculously priced product ! Man ! I still cant believe it !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks