Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2016, 11:33   #166
BHPian

Re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How is it that Ford can give a larger 1.5L engine, a 6 speed DCT box and more features for 7.65L that's 1.5L lesser than the Elite i20 and Hyundai needs to charge 2.5 lakhs more for 200cc more and an outdated 4 speed AT box in a car with barely any features.

Hyundai has gone mad on the pricing of the Elite i20 AT. People desperately wanted an Elite i20 AT but people are not this desperate to pay this ludicrous amount for the Elite i20 AT.

Infact if you pay exactly 1 lakh more you can get a nearly fully loaded Ecosport AT with 6 airbags, ESP, SYNC system and a whole load of other features vs the Elite.

The Polo and Jazz now seem reasonably priced which is ironic.

Honda can actually make the most of this but they are another sleeping giant these days. All they have to do is get the Jazz with the 1.5L City engine and CVT both of which are available in the City in India and in the Jazz export trims. They can really sock it to Hyundai and VW and give people an exciting option.
Perfectly said ! But then Jazz will not be launched in a 1.5L engine because WRV is around the corner and it is coming with a 1.5L motor ! Again Honda being Honda, will price it north of 11 lakhs because currently Jazz (CVT)comes close to INR 9,30,000 on road Mumbai.

Damn....don't know why I feel that I should forget everything (new launches around the corner) and just go for good old City. Terribly confused !
toofanwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 11:42   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

We were all complaining about Hyundai's reluctance to launch the i20 AT and now we're complaining about the price.

We just have to accept the price as the excise duty for a 1.4 l petrol will be high.

There's no doubt the Maruti Baleno and Honda Jazz offer much more value.
Not sure how many automatics they will sell.
Old 9th September 2016, 11:45   #168
Senior - BHPian

That's patience testing by Hyundai - since i20 is ahead of Baleno in monthly run, there is no reason for them to doubt on the market acceptance of the premium hatch.

I am sure, they do not want to run the AT assembly line for more than a shift in a month until the sales number and monthly bookings are stabilized.

Last, this launch is just ahead of festive season, August has already recorded 4 wheeler sales growth of nearly 15%. There will be liquidity is market until Christmas; Hyundai is in no rush to sell AT in large number, it is just completing the product portfolio. Those who wish to buy will buy for sure even at this price.

Price correction is unlikely in this FY atleast, though in 2017, company might offer additional features for the Megna AT trim at the same price, very similar to Ford wherein the AT trim has better feature list compared to the manual counterpart.

Last edited by i74js : 9th September 2016 at 11:46.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 12:01   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

This is where the Elite i20 Magna AT stacks up, price-wise, against it's competition:

Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!-untitled.jpg

All prices, ex-showroom Delhi.

Polo/Vento prices taken from Carwale.

As you can see, Hyundai has pulled off a Jeep! (if we can use the expression)
RavenAvi is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 12:02   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Honda can actually make the most of this but they are another sleeping giant these days. All they have to do is get the Jazz with the 1.5L City engine and CVT both of which are available in the City in India and in the Jazz export trims. They can really sock it to Hyundai and VW and give people an exciting option.
That would be a sight to behold ! Hope Honda realizes the benefits of this combination and comes out with this trim for the Jazz
Old 9th September 2016, 12:06   #171
Senior - BHPian

I have in my stable the previous generation i20 AT, and I felt it was overpriced at approximately 9 lakhs on road for the top end variant (sans the Sunroof and what not, which we chose not to go for, because $$$$).

Admittedly, that was about 5 and something years back, but to see the same engine and transmission sell for 10.7x on road for the Magna variant is hilarious. Hyundai has come a long way since then, but this is seriously over-optimistic pricing. Badge concerns aside, why would you not go for a GT TSI over this?

Hyundai had a huge opportunity to clean up the market with this, and they've gone and done...this. Amazing. It's really not going to sell because it's so barebones, gone are the VFM days of Hyundai.
Old 9th September 2016, 12:15   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
We were all complaining about Hyundai's reluctance to launch the i20 AT and now we're complaining about the price.
We are a tough market to satisfy, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
We just have to accept the price as the excise duty for a 1.4 l petrol will be high.
This cannot be the reason as the Figo comes equipped with a 1.5 ltr motor with more power and a technically advanced DCT transmission system at about 80K lesser. The figo is also well equipped than the magna variant.

The figo AT attracts the same duty as the i20 AT.

Moreover the Ciaz despite being > 4 mtrs in length costs only 93K more in the ZXi trim. So the bigger motor is not a justification for such a steep price .I'm sure Hyundai could have managed a better pricing.

A huge opportunity gone begging, they had the chance to get another 1.5K units atleast. Hopefully they'll do a price revision as it seems to be the trend or add a few more features to the magna variant

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 9th September 2016 at 12:18.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 13:08   #173
Senior - BHPian

Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launch...

It's purely my 'speculation' as I mentioned earlier and I stand by it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Well that is something new that I am hearing. Is there any such statistical observations made in this regard?

Or is it just your ovservation?
Thinking deeper after going through last few posts I feel that...

We all are not recognising well enough that Elite i20 is wayyyyy ahead in term of looks from other cars and as I mentioned long back when I saw it for the first time I really fallen for it despite its shortcomings, I am sure many customers would feel the same.
Secondly as with the launch of I gen i20 it was argued that the person usually buys AT for convenience and comfort rather than driving performance in our crowded metro traffic so performance takes a backseat and 'it's better to get stuck in a traffic jam in a comfortable car with creature comforts rather than in a hot hatch which you can't drive anyway'.
Going by the horrible A.S.S. of VWs I still have serious doubts over preferring Polo GT TSI over reliable Hyundai, exactly similar situation enjoyed by Innova Crysta. Even if I buy TSI and the day it gives me slightest of trouble I would start cursing myself with conveniently forgetting the driving pleasure or creature comforts enjoyed by me in between.

Coming to female drivers I think if they also like the looks of the car, I feel no amount of technical blabbering would be helpful in changing their decision if you consider the looks of Figo, Baleno or Jazz which are way way funky than European classy looks of i20.

If one goes by the Creta thread, many buyers and users have posted that how 'perfect' the Creta looks despite being a pseudo SUV and expensive price.

P.S. - Despite writing all this I don't see myself ever buying any of the two. I would prefer Figo A/T over i20 and XUV A/T over Creta.

Last edited by carwatcher : 9th September 2016 at 13:10.
carwatcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 13:40   #174
BHPian

This might end up reviving Jazz CVT and Polo TSi sales. Baleno has a high waiting period, Figo has a Ford Stigma attached to it. As someone mentioned some posts above, the high price and less features of the i20 Magna means that Jazz S/V CVT and Polo TSi even more mouthwatering.

If I were Honda I would be running comparison advertisements just to show how absurd the prices of i20 A/T are. Honda has biggest advantage potential here. Good A.S.S, Better CVT, and better equipped car. Good time to make Airbags as standard too, to get some eyeballs.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 13:47   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

The Figo twins, The Jazz & the Polo TSi look amazing value when compared to i20 for the simple fact that all these offer AT on the top trim while i20 does not! Can't really blame Hyundai as they have been seeing customers run to the showrooms to buy the expensive Creta, in hordes!

I am not sure they'll see a lot of success in the AT hatchback segment though, but then Hyundai is not in need of sales disastrously. They are selling the premium hatch in 10K range, anything from the automatic sales is just a cherry on top.

I think if Baleno Zeta has a comparable set of features, it should be a good pick over i20.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th September 2016 at 14:08.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 13:53   #176
Senior - BHPian

Wow. This is absolute shocker of a price! What were those guys thinking while deciding the price? And how did the bosses approve it? 10+ lakhs OTR for Magna variant is just ripoff.

RavenAvi, thanks a lot for posting the price comparison. It gives interesting insights. Ertiga VXi, inspite of being more than 4 meters in length, is cheaper than the i20! Features of both would be comparable, give or take a couple of them. Ertiga offers ABS which is not offered on i20 Magna.

Hyundai has got it totally wrong this time
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 13:59   #177
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Secondly as with the launch of I gen i20 it was argued that the person usually buys AT for convenience and comfort rather than driving performance in our crowded metro traffic so performance takes a backseat and 'it's better to get stuck in a traffic jam in a comfortable car with creature comforts rather than in a hot hatch which you can't drive anyway'.

...if you consider the looks of Figo, Baleno or Jazz which are way way funky than European classy looks of i20.
We are not cribbing because the i20 AT is not a performer, its the pricing and the lack of basic safety features that we are bothered about.

Also, with the Magna variant, there is not many 'creature comforts' that you can enjoy...

Good looks, is not the right explanation for this 3L pricing increment over the i20 MT.

If you need a performance AT - you have the Polo GT
If you need a small AT city car - you have the Figo with better safety and then 2L in you bank
If you need a spacious AT small car - you can have the Jazz and still save few thousands
If you need rear seat comfort - you can stretch a bit and get a Ciaz AT
If you need to carry 6 more people in your AT - you can get the Ertiga AT

See? the pricing, and hence the positioning is the problem... Not the car itself.
aravind.anand is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 14:28   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The Figo twins, The Jazz & the Polo TSi look amazing value when compared to i20 for the simple fact that all these offer AT on the top trim while i20 does not! Can't really blame Hyundai as they have been seeing customers run to the showrooms to buy the expensive Creta, in hordes!

I am not sure they'll see a lot of success in the AT hatchback segment though, but then Hyundai is not in need of sales disastrously. They are selling the premium hatch in 10K range, anything from the automatic sales is just a cherry on top.

I think if Baleno Zeta has a comparable set of features, it should be a good pick over i20.
Correction - Figo twins do not offer top trim in AT. The top trim has Sync which is missing in AT trim, a friend dropped the idea of Figo Aspire and moved up to Ecosport just to have Sync as part of the standard equipment
Old 9th September 2016, 14:33   #179
Senior - BHPian

All these points apply to each and every car and also highlight the cross-shopping.
To continue with your points, let me add one

What if I need a true Premium Hatch with fresh European looks (Polo goes out), unmatched interiors (Baleno) goes out), doesn't reek built-to-cost feel (Jazz) and most importantly if my colleagues, friends, neighbours or relatives have one and which gets them bragging rights.

I am no way justifying the price and support Hyundai but just trying to find any logic however weird behind the pricing and people who will be compelled to purchase it.

Who knows Hyundai keeps us all busy thinking about this and suddenly they launch that DSG type 6-speed A/T in response to Baleno 1L A/T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Good looks, is not the right explanation for this 3L pricing increment over the i20 MT.

If you need a performance AT - you have the Polo GT

If you need a small AT city car - you have the Figo with better safety and then 2L in you bank

If you need a spacious AT small car - you can have the Jazz and still save few thousands

If you need rear seat comfort - you can stretch a bit and get a Ciaz AT

If you need to carry 6 more people in your AT - you can get the Ertiga AT

See? the pricing, and hence the positioning is the problem... Not the car itself.
Old 9th September 2016, 14:58   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Who knows Hyundai keeps us all busy thinking about this and suddenly they launch that DSG type 6-speed A/T in response to Baleno 1L A/T.
If that actually happens- and given how illogically they have priced the Magna AT, then the price point for an i20 with a turbocharged engine and 6-speed dual clutch transmission will easily touch to INR14,00,000 range for sure.

Appears that Hyundai and pricing logic don't go together these days !
toofanwheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed