Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:16   #76
BHPian

re: Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Unlike BRV, Honda City top model comes with CVT option.
I am assuming you are referring to VX model which is offered both in MT and CVT. If I am not wrong, Honda started offering VX(O) with larger AVN and on-board navigation and made it available only in MT variant.
Old 22nd December 2016, 18:57   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
There is a VX+ Variant which will be the flagship variant of the City facelift. Over the current VX (O), it will get LED headlamps, fog lamps, taillamps, interior lights, option of black interiors, 7" touchscreen with android auto and apple carplay, new design 16" alloys, side and curtain airbags etc when it gets launched. And the design will be different from Greiz, not the same.
Not sure about LED headlamps + fog lamps, but LED tail light sections and LED in-cabin map lights are confirmed.

Apple Carplay is confirmed. They are still testing out Android Auto functionality.

As for the rest:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The 2017 City facelift will gain a few more features, among which are (notably):

- New design 16-inch alloys,
- Projector headlamps with LED DRLs,
- Revised interior schemes,
- All-black interiors for the top variant.

The City facelift will continue to offer a sunroof, a 6.2-inch touchscreen AVN system and a touchscreen Automatic Climate Control unit in it's facelifted avatar, as before.

Big news is that dual airbags + ABS + EBD might be offered as standard across the City range, with the top variant loaded with side & curtain airbags as well.

Engine options of the 2017 City facelift are likely to remain the same, although there are hints of possible tweaks to the 1.5L i-DTEC option to offer marginally better Fuel Efficiency figures and more controlled NVH levels.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4017067

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4070275

Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs-untitled.jpg

They are also testing out a hybrid powertrain as well, as we speak.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd December 2016 at 19:00.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:46   #78
Senior - BHPian

From the news article:
Quote:
Petrol engine will be mated to either a 5-speed manual or a CVT unit, while the diesel engine is expected to come with a 6-speed manual gearbox.
I was expecting that the City (petrol) would get the new 6 speed manual box used in the BR-V.
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:44   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda has released a teaser of it's 2017 Honda City facelift in Thailand, which shows the updated exteriors.

Quote:
The main change will be to the City’s face, which will now adopt the look of the latest Civic. The images show a chrome strip on the top edge of the headlamp cluster and gentle L-shaped LED position lamps that follow after the FC Civic.

From the side, the City facelift’s ‘eyes’ also mimic the ‘scales’ of the top Civic’s LED headlamps.

There’s also a shot of the tail lamp, which appears relatively unchanged compared to the front end.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 23rd December 2016 at 11:57. Reason: attached short video
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 13:39   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
VX+ Variant will get LED headlamps, fog lamps, new design 16" alloys,
Thanks Sidindica (been a while since you came up with such scoops), looks like the LED headlamps are coming through and would be a nice feature.

Quote:
Honda has released a teaser of it's 2017 Honda City facelift in Thailand, which shows the updated exteriors.
Thanks RavenAvi, Love the new alloy wheel design, in fact any design other than the current ones would be welcome. The one shown in the teaser pic is lovely, hope it makes it to the Indian version too.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs-2017hondacityindiaboundfrontendteased.jpg  

Last edited by uday.ere : 23rd December 2016 at 13:41.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 14:03   #81
BHPian

With all these new features and considering the previous history of City pricing, the facelift will see unprecedented pricing level, especially the variant with 6 airbags. But many will be willing to pay the price if the quality issues are sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Love the new alloy wheel design, in fact any design other than the current ones would be welcome. The one shown in the teaser pic is lovely, hope it makes it to the Indian version too.
Even the current Thai version has much better looking alloys than the Indian version. Maybe we will see this good looking alloy in the top variant.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 15:14   #82
BHPian

Quote:

Looks like LED headlamps with integrated LED DRLs, so not a projector headlamp as is speculated. I think the interiors will see some good upgrade with possibility of a 7" display.
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:42   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Looks like LED headlamps with integrated LED DRLs, so not a projector headlamp as is speculated. I think the interiors will see some good upgrade with possibility of a 7" display.
Halogen projectors will be on offer too, on the V & VX variants.

The top-of-the-line City variant, christened as either VX(O) or VX+, is speculated to get this full LED treatment - headlamps, tail lights & in-cabin/map lights.

Likewise, the 7-inch full touchscreen AVN unit with Apple/Android compatibility will be exclusive to the topmost variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I was expecting that the City (petrol) would get the new 6 speed manual box used in the BR-V.
Yes, the 2017 City facelift is coming with a 6-speed MT paired to the 1.5L i-VTEC.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 23rd December 2016 at 17:46. Reason: added a point.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:53   #84
BHPian

"There’s also a shot of the tail lamp, which appears relatively unchanged compared to the front end."

Missed a trick, in my view. They needed to differentiate the car's looks from Ciaz's, which is cheaper by almost 2 lakhs.
Old 23rd December 2016, 18:24   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
"There’s also a shot of the tail lamp, which appears relatively unchanged compared to the front end."

Missed a trick, in my view. They needed to differentiate the car's looks from Ciaz's, which is cheaper by almost 2 lakhs.
Yes, agreed. But, credit must also be given to Maruti as they redesigned the inside elements of Ciaz (Indian Spec), to make it look different from City despite the same shape.

Regarding Cheaper Price Tag, there is a reason for that. If the Ciaz was priced as much as City, it wouldn't have been as successful as it is now. Why ?

Because, Maruti's Expensive Cars (Kizashi, Grand Vitara, AStar) failed miserably. They were good, no doubt but they were priced higher then thier rivals. Maruti didn't want to repeat the same with Ciaz. So, they priced it really well, and on top the SVHS made it even cheaper. (Good thing for Common Man).

Now, the City Facelift will be slightly more expensive then current one. And the difference between Ciaz & City will stay. But, this won't make everyone look at Ciaz, the City will still be on the buyers mind despite its premium price. But, in order to compensate the higher price, Honda would(and will) be making the car more premium, this will bring in prospective buyers towards City.

I was in same dilemma in May this year. I wanted to replace 2011 Verna Diesel, and the 2 cars I shortlisted were Ciaz & City Diesel. After having multiple test drives, I chose the City. Ciaz was equally good. But, what the Ciaz let me down was the Engines, Seats, Plain Interiors, Switches & Parts from Cheaper Maruti's. But, other things like Ride, Fit & Finish, Efficiency, Space, Excellent After sales (Experience from Owning a WagonR for 5 years) were appreciable.

The City on the other hand, had much Nicer Interiors, More Comfortable Seats, Nearly as much Space, Better Quality Switches, Lag Free Engine. These things were enough for me to pay that additional 2 lakhs on City.

Will I recommend the Ciaz to known ones ? Definitely Yes !

The New City will be coming back hard, no 2nd thoughts about that, Honda will do all it can to make it's best seller even more desirable. I hope Maruti responds well with Ciaz Facelift.
CarguyNish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 08:11   #86
BHPian

As an owner of the current Honda City, the most important thing for Honda to do is to improve the quality of the vehicle. Bring back the faith that people have in a Honda with their older generation models.

Hyundai is maintaining their sales for all its models despite severe competition from market leader Maruti. This is because of their quality fit and finish along with good looking vehicles. Honda used to enjoy similar brand value that is Hyundai currently enjoying but starting with Amaze its started diminishing along with their quality of the vehicles.
sri_tesla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 13:39   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Hyundai is maintaining their sales for all its models despite severe competition from market leader Maruti. This is because of their quality fit and finish along with good looking vehicles. Honda used to enjoy similar brand value that is Hyundai currently enjoying but starting with Amaze its started diminishing along with their quality of the vehicles.
I think Amaze's success made Honda believe that they can sell in volumes if they started offering any Honda badge cars with lesser features and of lower quality at a premium over competition.

Sadly for them, we are in 2016 where almost everyone else has upped their game. Maruti has solid products in Baleno and Brezza, Hyundai has Elite i20 and Creta, Tata has Tiago and soon to be launched Hexa.

Honda needs to up its game by offering better quality and features to stay relevant.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 19:36   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I think Amaze's success made Honda believe that they can sell in volumes if they started offering any Honda badge cars with lesser features and of lower quality at a premium over competition.
Agree, and their effort in the Amaze facelift was quite disappointing to be honest, at least to me. Though the interiors look passable now, the front grille looks hideous on roads.

Whoever is designing the front grills of Honda...
quadmaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 22:44   #89
BHPian

Should I go in for current SV CVT with almost a lakh of discount OTR price or wait for new facelift city which would not have discounts and maybe 50k more expensive or will it be more ?

I'm currently using the 3rd gen city manual transmission with sunroof. Please advise.
Old 24th December 2016, 22:53   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Halogen projectors will be on offer too, on the V & VX variants.

The top-of-the-line City variant, christened as either VX(O) or VX+, is speculated to get this full LED treatment - headlamps, tail lights & in-cabin/map lights.

Likewise, the 7-inch full touchscreen AVN unit with Apple/Android compatibility will be exclusive to the topmost variant.

Thanks for the info. I just hope that CVT is made available in vx+. The doubt rises from the existing variant lineup, though, vx(o) just offers avn and all black interiors. However, as per the info vx+ would offer be a lot more than vx. Any info on this front?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed