Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2016, 14:04   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs

Mod Note: Our Honda City Facelift report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

My Honda birdies have sent insider information that the Honda City facelift is under intensive development and is being tracked for a mid/late-2017 launch.

The 2017 City facelift will gain a few more features, among which are (notably):

- New design 16-inch alloys,
- Projector headlamps with LED DRLs,
- Revised interior schemes,
- All-black interiors for the top variant.

The City facelift will continue to offer a sunroof, a 6.2-inch touchscreen AVN system and a touchscreen Automatic Climate Control unit in it's facelifted avatar, as before.

Big news is that dual airbags + ABS + EBD might be offered as standard across the City range, with the top variant loaded with side & curtain airbags as well.

Engine options of the 2017 City facelift are likely to remain the same, although there are hints of possible tweaks to the 1.5L i-DTEC option to offer marginally better Fuel Efficiency figures and more controlled NVH levels.

Expect to spot test mules of the 2017 City facelift in the days to come.

Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs-newhondacity01.jpg
(Image used for representational purpose only)

Link to the 2014 Honda City Official Review

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd February 2017 at 19:06. Reason: See mod note
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 14:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs

Honda has religiously followed 5 year life-cycles for the City. Since this generation was launched in 2014, the full model change should be in 2019. Therefore, 2017 sounds just about right for a mid-life refresh.

In my humble opinion, I don't expect to spot any test mules of the face-lifted version being tested in India - as long as there are no changes in the engine or drive-train. May be we will get to see a few cars from the pilot lots in case they need to be re-homologated by ARAI for some reason.

The hybrid version of our Honda City, aka the Grace was launched in JDM in 2015. It already has features like projector lamps which I think Honda will just incorporate in the Indian version.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs-2015_honda_grace_hybrid_main668.jpg  

Last edited by Viju : 19th January 2016 at 14:22.
Viju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 15:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
My Honda birdies have sent insider information that the Honda City facelift is under intensive development and is being tracked for a mid/late-2017 launch.

The 2017 City facelift will gain a few more features, among which are (notably):

- New design 16-inch alloys,
- Projector headlamps with LED DRLs,
- Revised interior schemes,
- All-black interiors for the top variant...
Lovely to see how competition forces customers to offer more! I guess, this is also to counter the news of 1.6L Ciaz. I just wish Ciaz too offered something more in terms of equipment other than the 1.6L MJD.

And I so wish Honda seriously works on a decent alloy wheel design.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 18:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Lovely to see how competition forces customers to offer more! I guess, this is also to counter the news of 1.6L Ciaz. I just wish Ciaz too offered something more in terms of equipment other than the 1.6L MJD.

And I so wish Honda seriously works on a decent alloy wheel design.
And new wider tyre's please in place of the puny tyres that Honda regularly uses in all of their cars from Brio to Mobilio!
Nitthari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 18:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
- All-black interiors for the top variant.
Why can't these manufacturers offer the choice to the customers?
On the flip side Polo/Vento gets beige interiors only in the top trim while the rest of the variants get black interiors.
Wonder from where these companies come up with these strange ideas. :what:
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 01:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
In my humble opinion, I don't expect to spot any test mules of the face-lifted version being tested in India - as long as there are no changes in the engine or drive-train.
Test mules of the 4th generation City and the new Jazz were not spotted in India. Hence spotting the facelift is quite unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
The hybrid version of our Honda City, aka the Grace was launched in JDM in 2015. It already has features like projector lamps which I think Honda will just incorporate in the Indian version.
Grace has projector LED headlamps and not halogen or HID. I doubt if the same would come to India. We might get HID protectors similar to the S Cross. Good move nevertheless.

God bless competition. Ciaz sales and the upcoming new Verna keeping Honda on their toes.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th January 2016 at 01:17.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 16:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

IMO, Honda should be introducing the facelift City in the upcoming Auto Expo, its been over 2 years since the current gen is on sale and by late 2018, they would be releasing a new generation altogether.

Maybe there is just a change in interiors of the car as reported in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...r-variant.html
Old 28th January 2016, 22:00   #8
BHPian

I sincerely hope, Honda does some changes to the rather prominent chrome strip on the front grille. A black grille with subtle / gentle touches of chrome may appear far more pleasing.
Old 11th July 2016, 19:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently, 2 prototypes of the Honda City equipped with the 1.5L i-DTEC diesel units have been exported from India to Japan.

Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs-untitled.gif

VIN numbers and Engine numbers indicate that they belong to a new production series, making it a strong possibility that they might be the City facelifts, scheduled to be launched soon in India.

The current-gen Honda City will be 3 years old come January 2017, and Honda usually sticks to a 2½-3 year cycle for facelifts/new-gen models of it's most popular offerings.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th July 2016 at 19:27.
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 14:43   #10
BHPian

As a owner of Honda City for over 1.5 years, they should make few necessary improvements:
  • Improve the quality of the vehicle. There are too many niggles and quality issues in the current version.
  • Diesel NVH should be greatly improved.
  • Good looking alloys.
  • Better touchscreen system.
  • Black interior option on more variants (at least from SV variant).
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 15:28   #11
BHPian

Wow ! Just what I was waiting for and praying for ! Would be interesting to note if the ones shown in the images will be the exact ones we will get or it will again come with that hideous grille?
Keeping my hands crossed. Also it explains why Honda is organizing "midnight sale" of their cars (Linkway Honda in Mumbai organized it last Sat-Sun. Maybe they are trying to dispose off their inventory !
Old 12th July 2016, 16:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post
Would be interesting to note if the ones shown in the images will be the exact ones we will get or it will again come with that hideous grille?
In Current City - If you don't like, Honda offer split grill as an optional accessory instead of that ugly large single piece.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 17:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
In Current City - If you don't like, Honda offer split grill as an optional accessory instead of that ugly large single piece.
Hey Latheesh. Even the split and curved grill that is offered is equally crappy for me atleast. Plus its just not the question of only grill- I am sure that with a refresh, other missing things such as bi-xenon headlamps, DRLs rain sensing wipers- all will make it in this time. Hence waiting for the facelift!
toofanwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 10:02   #14
BHPian

Though the launch dates for the mid-cycle update of the City are subject to speculations presently, I would like to appreciate the fact that Honda stick to the 2.5 to 3 years update cycle for their products very religiously.
It gives the prospective buyers a chance to plan their purchases.

Coming to things which Honda should focus on improving, I would suggest the following:
1- Better grill
2- Better dashboard
3- Better alloy designs
4- Noise levels for the I-Dtec
5- Features such as projectors, DRLs, auto lights and auto wipers
6- DO NOT bump up the prices significantly
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 12:39   #15
BHPian

My 2 cents. I would look for the following in the facelift
1. 6 Airbags as currently provided in Malaysia for the current model (http://www.honda.com.my/model/safety/allnewcity)
2. Exceeds whatever Crash worthiness standards our government comes out with.
3. Indian version is tested in Euro NCAP test center and scores at least 4 Stars.
4. CVT which performs similar to the Altis CVT (Has less rubber band effect)
5. Less noise in CVT version (My i10 AT seems to have better insulation than VX CVT version)

Point 2 and 3 because there is no other way for us to judge how it will perform in a crash.
Simhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks