Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:39   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 2015 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

This is the most interesting bit for me.

Every other segment has shown steadiness and almost same Y-O-Y numbers, but two segments are continuously on the rise - the C1 segment and the C2 segment.

The C1 segment is growing at the rate of roughly 55,000 cars per year! No wonder Volkswagen wants a piece of this huge pie with the Ameo. Despite the DZire's absolute dominance in this particular segment, positive and huge volume in sales can be expected in the next 2-3 years. Add a bunch of crossovers to the mix, and I can see the C1 segment booming in the days to come.

It also highlights another crucial aspect - a shift in buying preferences and affordability. The B1/B2-segment customers are willing to shift to the C1-segment because now that particular sedan is now only a few thousand rupees more than the closest-priced hatchback. A fact attested by the numbers for the A, B1 & B2 segments which see declines (B2 sees resurgence in 2015 no doubt due to the i10/i20/Baleno numbers). Buyers are shifting to the next affordable segment if they have the money to spare, and with cars priced so close to each other these days, cross-segment shopping has become quite normal.

The C2-segment is growing by leaps and bounds as well. At a rate of 30,000 cars till 2013, which has jumped to over 60,000 cars per year for 2014 AND 2015!! The main contributor is no doubt the Honda City (with the Creta & the Ciaz helping out in 2015), but again, the shift in buying preferences is quite evident here. The B2/C1 customer is now willing to stretch to buy that elusive "status symbol sedan", if he has the dough. Crossover market is also booming, and with most future crossovers destined to etch themselves in this particular segment, I am sure we will see more healthy Y-O-Y rise in C2-segment sales in the next few years to come.

Excellent compilation, GTO & Aditya. Thank you for the detailed company-wise analysis as well. Rated this one a fully-deserving 5 stars!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd January 2016 at 10:41.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:03   #32
BHPian

Excellent information and analysis mates !!

Kudos to Maruti for 47.25% market share in overall sales. They absolutely deserve it.

Sales figure for Suzuki Grand Vitara 0 in 2014 and only 1 in 2015.
Though I am a big fan of Vitara I would suggest Suzuki to be practical and kill this product in India as there are lots of low budget options available in Indian market.
KiranPatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:40   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Thats was harsh. I know we are looking at domestic sales but if we look at exports figures then we know where managers and executives are busy with. Isn't it?
This will change. Nissan India no longer exports Micras to Nissan Europe.

Also, I was talking about the domestic team which is in charge of Nissan's performance in the Indian market. They're known for their laziness - so much so that they'd outsourced their entire dealer network (related thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I expect them to do even better this year and beyond. The top end of perceived premium brands is so expensive now that buyers will look more into a C-Class and 3-series instead of something like a Passat.
I agree. The thinking on the street is "I'll rather pay EMIs for 7 years on a Mercedes than 5 years on a Toyota / VW".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Every other segment has shown steadiness and almost same Y-O-Y numbers, but two segments are continuously on the rise - the C1 segment and the C2 segment.
Do note that SUVs are included in the C2 category.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:12   #34
BHPian

As usual, Amazing Analysis again!! You have every information you want here and you guys make it look so easy!!

1) Swift Brand has (Swift + Dzire ) sold close to 4.5 Lakh Cars!! that is close to the total cars sold across its fleet by its direct competitor Hyundai. That is just mind boggling numbers and goes on to prove how well Maruti has marketed it. With Baleno running in full steam, this B2 + C1 Combination is expected to put up close to 5.5-6L Cars in 2016. So Nexa branding is not as bad a decision as some think at end of day when they look at their numbers and profits.

2) Another Big plus for Maruti is B1 segment with ever dependable Wagon R and under performing celerio, The latter is getting some push due to AMT feature. They have sold 2.5 Lakh when their direct competitor Hyundai Sold a big bold ZERO. Their seems to be absolutely no threat to Maruti from anyone. The only other 2 B1 cars in market today are Indica and Beat and their numbers are not even worth discussing.

3) Not able to Understand Why Mahindra still keeps Verito,Xylo and Quanto still in their fleet. Won't the production and marketing costs be a deterrent to continue it.

4) There seem to a popular opinion that people are ready to invest more money and stepping into B2/C1 segment. While that might be true, data here proves that first time purchase people still look at Segment A. Hyundai needs to do something fast about Eon Numbers. Not that they were a big deal before but Alto is now having absolutely no competition (Not Counting KWID as they seem to be in no mood to ramp up production). If you are chasing Maruti, you just can't ignore segment A.

5) I-10 Grand numbers are impressive. Not taking any credit away but people overlook lots of facts responsible for it. The normal i-10 numbers have more than halved in last 2 years. 2015 was the first year when Santro Stopped selling. add to the fact that Eon Is not selling much. I feel their marketing team is actually doing a fantastic job to tap these people to Grand and also have been successful in pushing people from A/B1 to B2.

6) Not fair to say that ford is not serious about India. The all new Figo is a very good product and VFM vehicle. They need to do some major shack up in marketing division and have someone with a proper vision there. When I went for a TD for my friend, there was no one to explain anything to us. They did not have anyone call us back for further talks. How can one expect numbers in this scenario.

7) Not sure how long Honda can sustain with City as Amaze numbers are also dropping. Not to mention Mobilio disaster and serious doubts on Jazz. However they have no reason to be unhappy as their motto has been always consistent - "I have a great product. I don't care if You buy or not"

8) One thing most of us carry as our shadow or evil-twin is PERCEPTION. and it takes a big deal to change that how hard someone tries to impress us. This has been the case with Tata. They have an above average - good products with Bolt and Zest and we agree that they are really good! we write a lot of good things about them. We recommend people to seriously think about them. except we do not buy them They seem to have a very big difficulty crossing that hurdle of perception and convincing people that their after sales has improved by leaps and bounds. Sad!
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 14:04   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A very well put up analysis. I request you to do the same for the monthly sales chart also like it used to be earlier.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 14:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Honda

Honda launched the all-new Jazz in July 2015 and thought it'll apply some of the City formula (diesel, equipment, cheaper production techniques) to the hatchback. Didn't work, nope. Primary reason being the formidable competition (i20, Baleno etc.) in a fiercer segment. The Jazz has sold nearly 30,000 copies since launch, but its sales have been in an unstoppable decline since the month of launch. From a high of 6.6k, they dropped to 3.3k in November and 2.6k in December. Honda must be extremely concerned about the market's tepid response as it was counting on the Jazz to build some more market-share. Few cars ever recover from a weak launch.
If there's one reason that'll keep me away from a Honda, when the time to replace my existing 07 City comes, it would have to be the savage cost cutting that Honda has taken to. I thought it was only an India phenomenon, but having experienced both the previous generation Jazz and the current generation Jazz in the UK, I can safely say the previous generation's quality was superior. In an age where Hyundai, Maruti, Tata etc are getting better at finishing vehicles (no signs of obvious cost cutting), its baffling to see Honda (and to a certain extent Toyota) go backwards. I hope Honda learns some lessons from the Jazz debacle.
Quote:
Tata Motors

The updates that the Nano received keep the model alive with average monthly sales of 1,900 cars. Sad fate for what is an incredibly smart car. The Nano has remained a loss-making project for Tata.

Tata's UVs are all going downhill at full throttle. The Aria has been shipping in the single digits since September and dealers are sitting on unsold stock. YOY loss is a staggering 83%, down to a paltry 231 units. Let's hope that the Hexa is priced right from day one itself. The Safari Storme received some nice updates in 2015, albeit they aren't enough to spruce up the old girl. It needs a fresh body & trimming of its many versions! YOY sales are down 15% to 8,000 cars (chief competitor, Scorpio, does that in 2 months). Safari & Storme numbers have largely been in the 3 digits all year long. The Sumo is Tata's best selling UV with 10,621 cars, but that's hardly saying anything when the Bolero does comparable numbers in a month! The ageing Sumo also loses 30% compared to 2014, with sales again settling in the 3 digit range. The Venture? It's a total write-off.
Tata better work some magic on the Zica which is quite a hatchback (apart from the 3-cylinder engines).
I suspect Tata is losing money on every single Nano they sell.

I have said this before and at the cost of repeating myself - Tata really needs to redo almost its entire range of cars in the Zest / Zica mould - reskin the car, fresh interiors and better fit / finish. And this applies to all cars - Nano, Safari / Storme / Sumo.

I am hoping they've started down this path with the Zica introduction and will finally discontinue the Indica, even though it does bring in sales (Tata ought to look at how Toyota discontinued the Qualis at its peak)
prashanthyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:01   #37
BHPian

Awesome thread GTO and Aditya. Thoroughly enjoyed reading and understanding the indian car market.
I really appreciate the amount of effort you guys must have put in to collect and publish the data.
Kudos to you guys.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:27   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The strong get stronger;the weak get weaker.

That's mostly the case with the Indian automobile industry for the past couple of years. There hasn't been any disruptive shuffle like a decade ago. It's an understatement to say that international brands have under-performed in India.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
It's only the Ritz which has failed the class with a red mark on its report card - Ritz sales dropped down to nearly half of the 2014 numbers (19.8k versus 35.6k). Maruti mercilessly killed its slow-sellers in 2013-2014 and it's now time to lay the Ritz to rest too.
Its sad to see the Ritz name slowly tarnishing away from the minds of Indian buyers! It was a proper VFM and a practical hatchback (Having owned one in our family for 3 years and using it with nothing but a smile).

If only Maruti chooses to upgrade the car with better quality interiors and a better looking rear end. With this, may be Ritz has a chance of making a comeback?

PS: An upgrade to the rear like the actual concept car would look dope on Ritz, loved it personally!

The 2015 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-s0splashconceptphoto5011464168.jpg
Teesh@BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:37   #40
BHPian

This is my first post in Team-BHP! First of all, thank you Mods for approving the membership.

Nice and detailed analysis on the sales numbers of 2015. Rated the thread well deserved 5 stars .

If the Top 20 Sales Volume is calculated based on the monthly average of cars sold rather than the cumulative total of cars, then Creta would have been higher up than Amaze with 5,850 copies sold monthly (Jun-Dec). Since, this is the sales numbers for the entire year, the cumulative number makes sense.

One key take away from the year 2015 is that the manufacturers are moving towards safety slowly but steadily, offering the Airbags and ABS as standard or optional not only with the new launches but adding them silently with the older ones too.

Hoping for a better 2016 for the automotive industry.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 07:17   #41
BHPian

An excellent analysis with attention to details on every aspect of the sales figures!
Ministry of Road Transport should have all of their data handy if they have to present it somewhere else

While the old portfolio is still bringing volumes home for Maruti. They have realized that it is going to go away with time, and have prepared themselves with new products ( 5 new launches in last two years + upgrades + facelifts ).
There are subtle efforts to establish a premium value to the brand as well (read 'Nexa').

Hyundai for sure lacks a competent product in hatchback segment which will hold candle against Wagon-R (we all miss Santro). However their other products, comparatively wider service network and longer presence in our market help them to stand taller in second position.

There is fierce competition between M&M and Honda for 3rd position, same as between Toyota & Tata for 4th.

Rest 10.17 percent's too have their own opportunities to improve their positions in this chart next year (except HM) and wish them all the best !

Last edited by Hrishi_111 : 23rd January 2016 at 07:21.
Hrishi_111 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 22:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teesh@BHP View Post
Its sad to see the Ritz name slowly tarnishing away from the minds of Indian buyers! It was a proper VFM and a practical hatchback (Having owned one in our family for 3 years and using it with nothing but a smile).

If only Maruti chooses to upgrade the car with better quality interiors and a better looking rear end. With this, may be Ritz has a chance of making a comeback?

PS: An upgrade to the rear like the actual concept car would look dope on Ritz, loved it personally!

Attachment 1464030
+1 with this comment. Ritz was, and still is, a very practical and competent car. The sitting position and road view are simply unmatched across the categories. Sad that this model will be discontinued very soon. With heavy heart, and against a strong objection from wife and daughter, selling my 5 years old Ritz Vxi in the next week(booked a Figo hatchback). Any positive indication about launch of facelifted Ritz would definitely have stopped me from looking at another car.
purnendubagchi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 01:16   #43
BHPian

Had a chance to go thru' the monthly sales data for 2015 (Jan-Dec) from Team-BHP, hence tried creating the Top 20 Sales chart based on the Monthly Average Sales.

Name:  Top 20 Cars  Monthly Average Sales.png
Views: 2655
Size:  19.9 KB

Interestingly there are 3 new launches of 2015 in the Top 20 Cars (when sorted based on monthly average sales).

Baleno coming in at 7 (3 months data - Oct-Dec), Creta at 13 (7 months - Jun-Dec) and Kwid at 19 (4 months - Sep-Dec).

Xcent (moved to 21st position) and Ecosport (24th position) are moved out of Top 20.

New Launches of 2015:
Baleno: Runaway success for Maruti Suzuki dethroning the King of Premium Hatchback segment - Elite i20, by the year end. In fact, Baleno cannibalizes even its smaller sibling Swift to a certain extent and made the new customers "Dziring" for a hatchback instead of a "Sedan" (Pun intended). Forecast for 2016 is bright with the waiting periods extending up to 9 months.

Creta: Another runaway success of 2015, but I would say this had much bigger impact to its segment than the Baleno - almost killing Terrano and Duster (breathing due to the discounts) and cutting down the sales of Ecosport. Hyundai must be laughing their way to banks as this segment has more margins. Forecast for 2016 - may continue to sell about 4-5K per month, but with the upcoming launches of Vitara Brezza and BR-V may face a tough fight.

Kwid: This car should have been easily doing 10K+ sales if not for Renault's production constraint. Forecast for 2016 is bright with Renault planning to ramp up the production, long waiting periods and impending launch of 1.0 + AMT.

Jazz: Started on a bright note, but dropping continuously M-o-M falling from 6.5K+ (Jul) levels to 2.5K+ levels (Dec). Forecast for 2016 - doesn't look good with Baleno effect - actually Jazz faced more heat from Baleno than Elite i20.

TUV3oo: Consistently outselling Ecosport since the launch in Sep, TUV3oo seems a success for Mahindra in the Compact SUV space, but have to wait and watch for some more time before declaring its success. Hopefully 2016 will have an answer for the same - my view is it might settle for about 3K monthly sales.

Aspire: Very good product but badly let down by the marketing. Started with 5K+ sales in Jul and now hovering aroun 2K+ sales in Dec. I would have got one if it is released earlier but again would have thinked twice due to the lackluster petrol mill. Forecast for 2016 doesn't look bright with already facing tough competition and the upcoming launch of VW Ameo only makes things worse since it might impact Aspire and Zest more rather than the other 3 in this segment.

S-Cross: Already down to just 2000 pieces in Dec, this is one of the cars which failed even with Maruti's backing. 2016 looks gloomy since the Brezza from the same stable might eat into its shares. With heavy discounts on offer for 1.6, its good time for the enthusiasts to pick-up one.

New Figo: Similar story as Aspire and my guess is that the upcoming launch of Zica might impact Figo more than i10 Grand or Celerio. Sad to see the state of 2 capable machines from Ford are being ignored by the market.

Lodgy: Another sales dud from Renault - looked like a capable MUV to take on the mighty Innova during the launch but alas not to be, with the sales hovering less than 500 units per month. 2016 should bring in some volumes due to opening of the vehicle to the taxi fleet segment.

Looking forward for the new launches in 2016 and how they are gonna perform in the market.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 02:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Maruti, Hyundai and Honda look like the only companies that really know the pulse of the market as reflected by their sustainable growth.

Rest all others are still using 'Trial and Error' method.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 00:02   #45
RSR
Senior - BHPian

This is an awesome 5* thread - thanks for sharing, GTO & Aditya! I thoroughly enjoyed the wit & humour in the detailed analysis!

If it's not asking for too much, I hope we get a similar thread for the financial year 2015-16 that ends after a couple of months.

Quote:
27 lakh cars! Even better than the adrenaline-packed 2012!
Yeah!!! With that kind of number, the Indian passenger vehicle market is now the 5th largest in the world!

Only China, USA, Europe (EU+EFTA) & Japan are larger markets than India (source: www.best-selling-cars.com):

The 2015 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-screenshot_20160124200929.jpg

Even if the European countries are to be considered individually (and not as a single free market), India is still the 5th largest car market at present. China, USA, Japan & Germany occupy the first four spots. India is in fifth position, with UK, Brazil, France, Russia & Italy following in the world's top ten.

No mass market car manufacturer in the world worth their salt can afford to ignore the world's 5th largest car market. I hope those manufacturers who are conspicuous by their complete absence from India (like Peugeot-Citroën, Mazda, Subaru etc.) are able to realise their folly soon by entering the 5th largest (and rapidly growing) passenger vehicle market in the world. Even a token/niche presence would do for such manufacturers.

Last edited by RSR : 25th January 2016 at 00:09.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed