Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2016, 02:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Mahindra's new design concept, the XUV Aero

I mean what is it with Mahindra and overdone styling. The KUV and now the XUV Aero.. so many lines, a mishmash of shapes and very poorly proportioned. No disrespect to Mahindra but this will fit in to the weird and wacky thread without much difficulty. The vehicle looks like it is on a marriage procession with all the lights up front. Awful is the word i choose both in design and execution.
Old 5th February 2016, 11:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Last but one pic looks like a 4 door version ? But i am unable to spot the door handles.

As usual, Mahindra engineers love to over-design
2 door version will be dead on arrival.
Old 5th February 2016, 23:14   #48
BHPian

For me atleast, the Aero looks too good except may be the rear, which looks like a sad face unlike the rest of the car which looks stunning.
Come on Mahindra make it into production with proper 4 doors and a meaner rear. And if the details given by ACI that its going to get a 2.2l, 210 bhp, 6AT, Awd with a 0 to 100 acceleration time of under 6 seconds, then i must certainly make my cheque book ready. Looks too hot to be left aside. I really hope this will become a blockbuster sucess for mahindra.
Old 6th February 2016, 00:50   #49
BHPian

The Komodo concept is something I could totally dig. It has a sort of Mad Max vibe going for it.

The Aero though:
Cabin is too high.
Cabin to hood angle too steep.
Boot line too abrupt and too high.
Boot itself looks constipated.

My impression: Tries to look like a Panamera and fails dismally.

Overall design looks like an SUV version of Swift, especially from the front.
Sort of like how the Creta looks like a vertically squashed version of the Ecosport (I am sure that is no coincidence, just a result of H's class leading design experience).

If this what buying Pininfarina has got Mahindra, I think would have been better off paying Giugiaro.

Last edited by pillainp : 6th February 2016 at 00:51.
Old 19th July 2016, 00:31   #50
BHPian

Is there any news on the XUV aero ? I tried to search if there is any update but could not find any.

Does anyone know if Mahindra revealed any plans ? I suppose they were waiting to gauge the public reaction at the expo.
Old 1st September 2016, 14:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Good news. Aero might get into production finally.

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/no-ssan...india-mahindra

"Mr. Goenka also suggested that Mahindra might also launch a production version of the XUV Aero concept, which was showcased at the Auto Expo."

Oh i am so ready to replace my 5 year old XUV to this, IF it comes out close to what was showcased in Expo
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 16:29   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Zigwheels reports, quoting their M&M sources, that the XUV Aero concept has finally been green-lighted to go into production soon.

Mahindra's new design concept, the XUV Aero-mahindraxuvaerocoupesuvconcept.jpg

Quote:
Our sources close to Mahindra have confirmed that the XUV Aero has received a green light and functional prototypes will soon start moving out of the computers into the real world.
The XUV Aero will be manufactured at the company's Chakan plant near Pune, alongside the XUV500.
The Aero may share the mHawk powertrain wth the SUV in a punchier state-of-tune but an electric drivetrain can't be ruled out either.
We may see a near-production-ready model of the XUV Aero at the 2018 Auto Expo. The car could roll off the factory line by late 2018 or early 2019.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 23:12   #53
Senior - BHPian

Desi version of BMW X6. Fabulous. Here's an SUV with none of the top heaviness. The fastback shape is like nothing else on wheels in India. I hope 4WD and Aisin AT box make it to production, too. Then it will be a very potent off-roader and someone ok with the idea of an SUV not seating over 5 would definitely consider it. This car looks like a sports car which doesn't shiver at the sight of our dreaded half-pipe speadbreakers.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 14:14   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Hope they did not forget the meaning of word "AERO" when designing the vehicle.
LOL. That was my first reaction. I was almost going to tweet the definition of the word 'aero' to Anand Mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
I mean what is it with Mahindra and overdone styling. The KUV and now the XUV Aero.. so many lines, a mishmash of shapes and very poorly proportioned. No disrespect to Mahindra but this will fit in to the weird and wacky thread without much difficulty. The vehicle looks like it is on a marriage procession with all the lights up front. Awful is the word i choose both in design and execution.
You're right. I can't think of any other manufacturer present in India today that has such a consistently ugly range of vehicles. You can't count the Thar, because it's basically a Jeep design that hasn't changed in 75 years, the XUV just about gets away without being called ugly, but the rest of them - MY GOD. The Xylo looks like someone put wheels on a toaster-oven, the TUV looks like it's designer had a ruler-fetish, and I can't think of an uglier vehicle than the KUV100. Every time I see on of their hoardings for the KUV100 that says "born with good looking SUV genes" I burst out laughing uncontrollably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This is what happens when you are trying to produce something by copying - every panel of this concept or whatever has been inspired by something else ( including Mahindra's own products ), this is downright ugly from any angle you see in my opinion, have seen enough of such cars in China where they copy far better......

Sorry but most of the guys who want this to be produced will come out with 100 different excuses for not buying if at all it goes for production.
Spot on. Firstly, these Coupe-style SUVs are the MOST hideous segment of cars in existence. I have a friend who's an automotive designer in the US for Subaru, and he says that all designers LOATHE these Coupe SUVs, but they have to do them because they're money-rakers.
Secondly, they're completely stupid and pointless. Remember the TG review of the X6?? If that doesn't convince you, here's what Keith Edwards, the Product Manager for the GLC line at Merc had to say.
“[Buyers are] really drawn to the vehicle, based off of exterior styling and the image of the car. A coupe, at the end of the day, is about showing off… You’re basically working with a high household income and a very trend-setting crowd. They’re certainly in the hands of the right customers in the right places.”
TRANSLATION: This car has less practical value than a sedan or traditional SUV, costs more, rides worse, and has no off-road capability whatsoever. People only buy them out of vanity.

Last edited by ghostrider : 29th June 2017 at 14:16.
Old 29th June 2017, 14:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
“[Buyers are] really drawn to the vehicle, based off of exterior styling and the image of the car. A coupe, at the end of the day, is about showing off… You’re basically working with a high household income and a very trend-setting crowd. They’re certainly in the hands of the right customers in the right places.”
TRANSLATION: This car has less practical value than a sedan or traditional SUV, costs more, rides worse, and has no off-road capability whatsoever. People only buy them out of vanity.
I think that is your own translation, as an extension to your opening remarks -

Clearly he means something else. He means this segment is in a constant mode of auto-marketing. It is driven by the right customers (rich people such as film actors and politicians) who take their cars to the right places (rich clubs and parties etc.) therefore naturally building a fanbase even without spending a cent on marketing. People who drive these cars set the trend for others in similar income groups to get influenced and buy. Nowhere does he mean (just based on those two lines you copied there) it rides worse and has less practical value. they give auto markers ridiculous margins because there is no need to market such cars unlike a Jeep Compass or an XUV or for that matter even an Audi 3 or 4!

Such cars have tremendous value and is have a fan base on their own (out of whack from a commercials perspective for the rest).
bhaskaracs is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 15:29   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
I think that is your own translation, as an extension to your opening remarks -

Clearly he means something else. He means this segment is in a constant mode of auto-marketing. It is driven by the right customers (rich people such as film actors and politicians) who take their cars to the right places (rich clubs and parties etc.) therefore naturally building a fanbase even without spending a cent on marketing. People who drive these cars set the trend for others in similar income groups to get influenced and buy. Nowhere does he mean (just based on those two lines you copied there) it rides worse and has less practical value. they give auto markers ridiculous margins because there is no need to market such cars unlike a Jeep Compass or an XUV or for that matter even an Audi 3 or 4!

Such cars have tremendous value and is have a fan base on their own (out of whack from a commercials perspective for the rest).
It's fairly obvious that his remarks were just marketing-speak for a car that's only value seems to stem from image, rather than anything more substantial. I'm a Product Manager myself, so I know that when a fellow PM only speaks about his or her Product's value in terms of 'image', then you can be fairly certain that the product in question has questionable value when judged by more substantial parameters.

And yes, that was my own translation, with a healthy dose of cynicism for a segment pf vehicles that I hold in low regard. I would've thought that much was obvious from my post.
ghostrider is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks