Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2018, 19:28   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Updated BMW 3-Series launched (F30 LCI); gets M Sport variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

Also 1.8TSi and 320d are not apple to apple comparison. One is a high revving petrol engine and the other is the diesel. If you really want to compare, you should drive the 30i engine and the ZF Sport gearbox.
Yes I will be curious how 330i feels - that was the one I had asked for in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
The key takeaway is, there is no substitute to a detailed test drive.

The difference of a RWD car could generally only be felt on a track whilst close to exceeding its dynamic capabilities.
Yes, and also with full load (5 passengers and boot full of luggage, RWD may feel more planted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
I think there was something wrong with the TD car
That's a possibility. The ODO was ~7000km but must be heavily used. BTW, what I am really curious about is - how comes the ZF-8 hesitated on acceleration after the U turn? However bad the TD car may be, how can gearbox get messed up like this? And that too with just 7000km of running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Spoken like a true enthusiast.

The answer - for the true enthusiast - very little if nothing at all. The price to power / handling / driving pleasure ratio of the BMW 320 d is beaten several times over by the current Octavia and Laura when compared with the G20 and the F30. You couldn't say this of the E90 however.
Yes, even if the TD car was not well maintained, 320d will be only a marginal upgrade over the Laura.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 20:11   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Yes I will be curious how 330i feels - that was the one I had asked for in the first place.

Yes, and also with full load (5 passengers and boot full of luggage, RWD may feel more planted?

That's a possibility. The ODO was ~7000km but must be heavily used. BTW, what I am really curious about is - how comes the ZF-8 hesitated on acceleration after the U turn? However bad the TD car may be, how can gearbox get messed up like this? And that too with just 7000km of running?

Yes, even if the TD car was not well maintained, 320d will be only a marginal upgrade over the Laura.
Among the Germans, I feel BMW has the least creamy 2L diesel engine. I have no clue about the power and stuff like that, but just the feel and sound of the engine are somewhat disappointing if you compare with other cars. So it is totally understandable that you were underwhelmed coming from TSI. But if you take the same TD with a 330i, you will have a totally different experience.

BMW has the best brakes (both bite and feel) in the segment so if you found the brakes iffy then surely something is wrong with TD car.

Laura has serious understeer and also has high GC/body-roll etc. BMW also has better steering weight and feel. BMW will be a clear upgrade in this aspect.

ZF transmission is also the best in business. It is possible that the TD car sees too much variation in driving and they are supposed to "learn" driving style of the driver and adapt. That could be the reason behind it's confusion/hesitation. Just a guess.

In short, I feel the rough 2L diesel engine has kicked in a strong bias in your overall judgement.

Try 330i, 530i or 530d and I am sure you will be much impressed.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 20:45   #108
Team-BHP Support

Re: F30 320D LCI - Luxury Line Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Do any of the BLR dealers have a 330i for test drive purposes? Need to slowly plan am upgrade from my Octavia TSI. Mid-2019 timeframe with some delicious discounts sounds doable.
Navnit is the dealer in Bangalore. Why don't you give them a call? When I was in the decision making phase of my 330i GT, they had a 30i TD car. I was actually thinking about going to Bangalore to do a TD, but could not make it.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 13:12   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
ZF transmission is also the best in business. It is possible that the TD car sees too much variation in driving and they are supposed to "learn" driving style of the driver and adapt. That could be the reason behind it's confusion/hesitation. Just a guess.
Ok, just came across this F30LCI review, watch from 4:15 onward. He is saying the car now comes with Aisin gearbox and not ZF!

I thought only new X1 is using Aisin as it is FWD.
Has the F30 LCI also moved to Aisin? Can this be a reason for the hesitation that I observed during the test drive? Is there a way to confirm (for us as owners) which gearbox is installed in the car?

BTW, is this reviewer knowledgeable?
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 13:21   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Aisin is used for FWD cars. BMW use ZF's for all rear wheel drive cars.
As for the reviewer, they go by the script! Who writes the script?
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 13:30   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are correct.

For longitudinal engines = ZF Gearbox & Transverse = Aisen (X1, Mini Cooper).

Quote:
Best not to waste time in debating on that.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 09:42   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Got myself a 320D LCI MSport 10K run car (Estoril Blue). Car is as good as new. Taking it for a long spin this and next weekend. This is going to be my first hand experience with a BMW in India! Let's see whats in store. But initial impressions are super good. Solid engineering and it's a rocket - also a leech on road!
Wow! Congrats. I still remember some of your posts on T-Jet (and XUV) where in you have put its driving dynamics to be best of the use. Looking forward for an ownership thread on this awesome machine.
Old 26th September 2020, 00:58   #113

Hello Fellow BHPians,

This is my first ever comment/question. I am planning to get a pre-owned 3 series and have come across a
BMW 2017 3 series Prestige with almost 35k kms.

Wanted to have some valuable opinion on what shall be the apt price for it.
Old 26th September 2020, 08:45   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saksham View Post
Hello Fellow BHPians,

This is my first ever comment/question. I am planning to get a pre-owned 3 series and have come across a
BMW 2017 3 series Prestige with almost 35k kms.

Wanted to have some valuable opinion on what shall be the apt price for it.
Can you please share more details such as warranty status, condition and whether is a 320i or 320d?
Old 26th September 2020, 10:16   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Can you please share more details such as warranty status, condition and whether is a 320i or 320d?
Thankyou for your response sir.

It is a 320d Prestige LCI (White Colour) with upgraded M sports alloys. The car is in great condition inside out (9/10) with no repaint
It's a Dec 2017 purchase so I'm uncertain about the warranty as it's over 2 years
Old 26th September 2020, 10:48   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou for your response sir.

It is a 320d Prestige LCI (White Colour) with upgraded M sports alloys. The car is in great condition inside out (9/10) with no repaint
It's a Dec 2017 purchase so I'm uncertain about the warranty as it's over 2 years
Please check for warranty. A rough price range would be 18-21 lakhs according to me. Also, if you're able to find a luxury line it would be a better buy considering the extra features.
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 10:58   #117

Quote:
Please check for warranty. A rough price range would be 18-21 lakhs according to me. Also, if you're able to find a luxury line it would be a better buy considering the extra features.
Thankyou for your valuable feedback sir.
I'll do check for the warranty. Considering the 2 years are already over I'm assuming I shall not be able to purchase the Extended Warranty and even a BSI Package. Right?
The asking price of the Sportsline and Luxury Line variants are way above this one. Whereas this shall come at around 21 lacs. The higher variants are no less than 25-26.
Old 26th September 2020, 11:31   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou for your valuable feedback sir.
I'll do check for the warranty. Considering the 2 years are already over I'm assuming I shall not be able to purchase the Extended Warranty and even a BSI Package. Right?
The asking price of the Sportsline and Luxury Line variants are way above this one. Whereas this shall come at around 21 lacs. The higher variants are no less than 25-26.
If the warranty is still active you can extend it to 5/6 years as you feel fit. BSI can be purchased anytime. My 2017 car came with a 3 year warranty so you should check on yours too, it may still be in place. I would still advise you to try and negotiate on a luxury line or sports line car, the feature list is much improved compared to the prestige.
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 14:28   #119

Quote:
If the warranty is still active you can extend it to 5/6 years as you feel fit. BSI can be purchased anytime. My 2017 car came with a 3 year warranty so you should check on yours too, it may still be in place. I would still advise you to try and negotiate on a luxury line or sports line car, the feature list is much improved compared to the prestige.
With the M sports alloys and with the LCI version having the all LED Headlamps and Tail lamps and the keeping in view the price difference I can manage without a sunroof and a smaller screen. At the same time, I'll see if I can get a Luxury Line or a Sports Line at a reasonable price.
I'll surely look into the warranty aspect. Any further advice shall be welcome too sir.

Further advice from other BHPians on the right price?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks