Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen launches 2016 Polo with additional features

I read somewhere that Apple Car play would also be offered with this update which was also confirmed by the sales lead of the nearest dealership.

Otherwise, the updated features are really good and would make the Polo more desirable and of course, equipped to fight with it's rivals.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:11   #17
Team-BHP Support

An interesting argument this is: executing mid-cycle upgrades!

On one hand, VW (and every other manufacturer) has to make sure they are constantly keeping up with trends and aligning their products accordingly to ensure a level playing field.

On the other, they run the risk of making those who bought a vehicle just before the upgrade feel pretty terrible on missing out.

Having said this, I believe all of us will eventually just accept this as an industry phenomenon.

Coming on topic: Several DIY threads have shown how feasible it is to retrofit some of these features (Cruise control for eg.). Would it be worth VW's while to offer retrofitting these features on already sold Polo's at the A.S.S. Purely from a PR standpoint.
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good response from VW. As the saying goes - better late than never.
But I don't know if this reactive approach of adding features every 6 months really helps the sales. I feel you need to create a great impression at launch in India. Even price corrections later don't help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Companies like FIAT, Chevrolet, Toyota etc need to learn from this example IMO.
Any reason you left out Honda? I feel Honda cars are looking more and more expensive (features : price ratio) with every new launch and how the competition is upping the ante in terms of feature set and Honda India doesn't seem too keen to respond to the challenge.

Last edited by adimicra : 2nd February 2016 at 11:23.
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:46   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Can any (if not all) of these features be retrofitted at the dealership? Ideally, these must be made available as part of 'Accessories' which can be bought of the counter from VW.
The rain sensor and auto dimming mirror can be. I've installed the Jetta/Passat's auto-dimming mirror 2 weeks back. Intend to install the RLS (rain light sensor) separately.

Volkswagen launches 2016 Polo with additional features-img_1737.jpg

From the Ameo's scoop shots, it could be the newer curved mirror from the Polo 6C sold overseas which is installed on the upcoming lots. The headlamp sensor is integrated inside the mirror.

Volkswagen launches 2016 Polo with additional features-6l3fbow.jpg

The RLS needs an upgraded BCM. Connections are straight forward - +12 v (RLS requires a continuous 12V input which doesn't turn off when the car is locked), GND, 2 cables to the BCM.

The new HU may have a different connector at the rear (like the quadlock connector but different from the one found in the RCD 510 units) going by the MIB systems. FWIK, this is a single CD changer and has a smaller touchscreen display (compared to the RCD 510) but will have the bluetooth module built in and can display the contacts. The best feature would be the MirrorLink enabling navigation through the phone.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd February 2016 at 11:57.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:49   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
But I don't know if this reactive approach of adding features every 6 months really helps the sales.
From my annual sales analysis thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm even more flabbergasted that the Polo sold 28,000 copies in 2015 (2014 was around the same number). Remember, it's priced on the higher side and customers don't generally like old, expensive products. She's an 8 year old model for heaven's sake! Says a lot about the pull of VW (as a brand) and the Polo (as a car). VW keeps giving it updates too (so many new engines & transmissions).
It's these frequent updates that are keeping the flame alive. Else, the Polo would've been a 500 / month seller by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
On the other, they run the risk of making those who bought a vehicle just before the upgrade feel pretty terrible on missing out.
We should look forward, not backward. Existing owners made a conscious choice and in today's market-place, annual updates & improvements are becoming more & more common-place. If we were to start worrying about how previous owners feel bad, we'd never see all-new generations of cars.

Updates are good
Improvements are welcome
It's a continuous process

As Mark Twain said "Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection."
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I read somewhere that Apple Car play would also be offered with this update which was also confirmed by the sales lead of the nearest dealership.
Its already listed on Apple's website that the 2016 VW Polo would be supporting iOS Car Play. (Link) In fact, VW announced early last year that all their cars would be shipping with Car Play.

But if it were true for the Indian versions, then I can't fathom why VW did not announce it in the press release already. Its definitely a swanky addition to the feature additions and might even significantly swing peoples choices.
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Its a little too many updates. Most of these features are not new in any respect and should be part of the higher variants. Only providing these on lower variants should happen time and again.

Atleast they should offer retrofitting them to current owners where ever possible at reasonable prices to keep them happy
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:55   #23
BHPian

Can someone throw more light on the new ICE , I think all all my features are being ticked off except for auto dimming ORVM's , Reverse camera and auto head lamps (can we retro fit these ?).
One more question there was another thread mentioned below showing LED DRL's for Vento 2016 , would not be surprised if there is another update around June 2016 .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...testing-3.html

Last edited by csnanjappa : 2nd February 2016 at 13:18.
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:27   #24
BHPian

Here's a list of the phones that support MirrorLink connectivity. (Link)

Still can't believe Motorola isnt on the list.

Meanwhile, I am beginning to wonder if Mirror Link is a last minute replacement for Apple CarPlay.
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

To be honest, I shouldn't be commenting on VW as a company and the Polo as a car; since I don't own one and I have never had an interaction with VW. I am happy that we are now getting more and more features in the Polo/Vento as standard rather than optional, but frankly speaking, if they improve their after sales service reputation, that would still go a long way in improving their brand image. While adding features to existing models is good, why are they not launching new products in India? Instead they choose to keep on adding features to old models.
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post

I am happy that we are now getting more and more features in the Polo/Vento as standard rather than optional, but frankly speaking, if they improve their after sales service reputation, that would still go a long way in improving their brand image. While adding features to existing models is good, why are they not launching new products in India?
Hey W.A.G.7, I guess the answer to your question is embedded in your thought itself !!

WAG group probably has the least number of models available in comparison to the competition in India, but somehow, inspite of this, these German giants seem to be missing/messing up with after sales. I am not really sure if this is even a part of their strategy, but at least they seem to understand that adding more products to the lineup will only further devastate the brand image.

However, even this has finally changed and VW has decided to take a chance with its latest launch, Ameo.

Link
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings_Wit View Post
Here's a list of the phones that support MirrorLink connectivity. (Link)

Still can't believe Motorola isnt on the list.

Meanwhile, I am beginning to wonder if Mirror Link is a last minute replacement for Apple CarPlay.

iPhone is not listed in the link , does that mean iPhone's are not supported for mirror link.
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:22   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

New features for 2016 cars. OK, so where are the offers on old 2015 cars? Previous-year's-model deals are a great idea, even though it means missing out on some nice, desirable toys.

For me, for now, all this makes it even harder to Just Say No to Volkswagen*

*Why? two word version: flood experience.
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

How do VW Dealers handle these frequent changes with respect to Demo Cars?

I remember the VW Sales Rep. explaining to me in Dec-2015 that the Polo GT TSi he brought didn't have cruise control, cooled glovebox, auto folding ORVM etc..but the latest cars have it. Guess they should have a print out of features missing in a 6 month old Demo Car.

Last edited by kiku007 : 2nd February 2016 at 14:25.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
iPhone is not listed in the link , does that mean iPhone's are not supported for mirror link.
I am afraid so. Apple is not part of the Car Connectivity Consortium (Link) that maintains and certifies devices and apps for the MirrorLink standard.

I thought having an iPhone and a Moto X would allow me to work with any electronic advancement of our time. I am getting bummed that neither of these support MirrorLink.

Most Viewed