Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2016, 07:08   #76
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

As per the latest Top Gear they are talking about the launch of the VW Tiguan next year (2017). The speculative pricing for that car is around 28-35 Lac and they are also speculating that it will be a CKD.

Considering that right now the Yeti itself is priced at almost 29-30 Lacs on road this speculation doesn't seem so far off, since the Tiguan will anyway be positioned above the Yeti.

They are saying that this is the hopeful game changer model for VW's fortunes in India.

I would be very surprised indeed if the Jeep Renegade clocks in at any less in terms of pricing, given that it is likely at first to be a CKD.

These are high prices, but I guess with our Indian Duty structure, if one wants a vehicle of this type and configuration, one has to pay such a price for the same!
Old 19th June 2016, 12:31   #77
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this camouflaged Jeep Renegade near Ranjangaon last Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-dsc_2444.jpg  

//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 11:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

Saw 2 Jeeps being tested between Pune-Shirdi @Parner.
Kindly excuse for the not so good pics :-)
Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-img_4689.jpg

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-img_4690.jpg

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-img_4691.jpg
sushrutha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 01:52   #79
BHPian

Guess this Jeep Renegade is everywhere! It paid the Tech Park I work in (RMZ Millennia Business Park) a visit yesterday. Alongside where the Cherokee and the Wrangler Unlimited.

Interestingly, most people thought the trio visited the Ford office (being American) while actually, it was for FCA (Fiat) in the same building. Glad I work here!

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-file_000.jpeg

The camo-clad Renegade got all the attention while the more exciting Cherokee was ignored. Thanks to the number of new Ford Endeavors in the building (Ford guys use the 2.2's to ferry around visiting executives)

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-file_001.jpeg

Smart rear reminds me of the Yeti

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-file_002.jpeg

MT and Manual IRVM!

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-file_003.jpeg

225/R17 with rear discs
Kingston is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 17:19   #80
BHPian

Jeep MG Compact SUV?
https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ment-18220.htm
Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-jeep3.jpg
Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-jeep6.jpg
Sirvoicar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 11:28   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Thruno Durgaprasad for sharing these pictures! He caught 2 Renegades along with an uncamouflaged Wrangler cruising at 100 km/h near Visakhapatnam.

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-screenshot_20160718194907465.jpeg

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-screenshot_20160718200223045.jpeg

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-screenshot_20160718195335646.jpeg

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-screenshot_20160718195651028.jpeg

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-screenshot_20160718195818724.jpeg

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-screenshot_20160718200000833.jpeg

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-screenshot_20160718200032527.jpeg

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-screenshot_20160718200338049.jpeg
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 19:32   #82
Senior - BHPian

4 x 2 Jeep Renegade

A 4x2 version was spotted in Bangalore today near Windsor Manor/Golf course

Thanks to Harshavardhan for sharing these pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-delete-later2.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 20th July 2016 at 21:28.
Mpower is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 16:03   #83
BANNED

I really want to know what kind of price these vehicles will command at launch.
30-32 lacs for the Renegade top spec 4x4 is my guess - on road Bangalore.
and perhaps 50 lacs for the Wrangler Unlimited on road Bangalore.

Id frankly be very very surprised if they price these any lower than what I ve said above.
Old 22nd July 2016, 22:52   #84
Senior - BHPian

Spotted the Renegade test mule and a greyish colour Wrangler parked outside the Fiat showroom in Vellore last week. Couldn't stop and take a look, but the Renegade caught the eye of everyone in the car.

Already a lot of people think that Jeep has already launched and bombed. After effects of two botched launch plans I guess. Hope they don't repeat the same with the Renegade. That would be the final nail in the coffin for Fiat in India.
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 00:01   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I really want to know what kind of price these vehicles will command at launch.
30-32 lacs for the Renegade top spec 4x4 is my guess - on road Bangalore.

Id frankly be very very surprised if they price these any lower than what I ve said above.
Hey Shankar, I just went through the complete thread and have seen your inputs, you really like this SUV, don't you?

It is a great compact SUV and I too am considering to buy one, but of course only if the price is correct. I feel that it won't cost more than 20 or so odd lakhs for the top end variant and I doubt if India will get the Trailhawk edition. But, we never know.
India is a really big potential market for Jeep and it would be great to see if the Trailhawk version makes it here. Do let us all know if you get any more inputs about this!

Cheers,
Luv.
Luv_Jaiswal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 01:32   #86
BHPian

Such a quirky car. That said as far as I have read they wont be launching the Renegade here and just testing it for other cars down the pipeline. Infact even the Jeep website has no mention of the Renegade.
Old 24th July 2016, 10:04   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_Jaiswal View Post
Hey Shankar, I just went through the complete thread and have seen your inputs, you really like this SUV, don't you?

It is a great compact SUV and I too am considering to buy one, but of course only if the price is correct. I feel that it won't cost more than 20 or so odd lakhs for the top end variant and I doubt if India will get the Trailhawk edition. But, we never know.
India is a really big potential market for Jeep and it would be great to see if the Trailhawk version makes it here. Do let us all know if you get any more inputs about this!

Cheers,
Luv.
Yes I really like the Jeep Renegade and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and of course the Jeep Cherokee Latitude which I ve used in the US.

In India, given the duty structures etc, I would imagine the Wrangler Unlimited Top Spec Trailhawk costing around 50 Lacs which to me is way too much of a price.

I m prepared to consider the Renegade if it is priced around 30-32 on road for the top spec Trailhawk edition. I very much doubt if they will be able to manage the 20 lac pricing even if they do bring the Renegade into India.

I have no information from Jeep other than what I ve seen on this thread and on their India website - all the currently available info on the web is very very sketchy and I won't put too much credence into it, as most of it is highly speculative, like my own posts as well!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 12:53   #88
BHPian

As per the FB posts on Jeep India's official page, the launch is scheduled "sometime" in late August this year. The initial launch will be limited to 2 cities. This also corroborates with the news articles related to Jeep's launch in India.

How much of this is true remains to be seen. It is nearing the end of July and I have no information about the dealerships for the initial launch yet. I even ended up trying to contact the Fiat HQ in Mumbai but the number they have published doesn't seem to be working.
TheDesertRat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 14:22   #89
Senior - BHPian

The Renegade should be the flag bearer for Jeep in India. If they manage to localise it and produce it here, and they price it sensibly between 22-25 lakhs, it's a real winner. Anything more and it will end up in the Fortuner / Endeavour territory and no real chance there considering Indians love big SUVs.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 04:01   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The Renegade should be the flag bearer for Jeep in India. If they manage to localise it and produce it here, and they price it sensibly between 22-25 lakhs, it's a real winner. Anything more and it will end up in the Fortuner / Endeavour territory and no real chance there considering Indians love big SUVs.
What "should be" and what "is" are, sadly, always two different things, especially when it concerns foreign vehicle manufacturers in India...
Also the speculation on the pricing at this current moment does not seem feasible given the high cost of the Dollar and of course, the fact that most of these vehicles will appear first in the CBU/SKD route, which will impact prices.

Even if you think about it, the Skoda Yeti, which at one time, in 2011-2012 was priced very fairly - in fact at the same price on road as it was in the UK/ Australia at the time, has now almost increased in price from those days, to hit the levels of 29-30 lacs on road today! In 5 years time, the vehicle price has literally risen by Rs 10 lacs!

Can we expect the Jeep Renegade to be priced then, at 22-25 lacs? Seems unlikely to me.

Also, sadly, we don't have any clue if the Jeep chaps / Fiat fellows will even offer this vehicle in India.

Maybe their strategy, like most other manufacturers is to keep the Jeep legend intact in terms of "aspiration", "desirability" and "premium-ness" by bringing only the Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler Unlimited at much higher prices, so that all the necessary hype is created at launch and then slowly, they may move down the food chain or value chain by bringing in the Renegade etc.

The saddest thing of all, is that Jeep is NOT a LUXE SUV Brand! It has always stood for plain, honest, immensely capable, less-frills off road motoring and toughness.

But as usual in this idiotic country with is completely skewed sense of priorities, what started off as a plain Jane "ute" becomes a "super luxury" vehicle which can only be purchased by those god-damned "super-loaded wannabe poseurs", rather than genuine people who love Jeeps and will enjoy them properly! Why is it that normal people here can never access a vehicle which is considered "normal" everywhere else in the world? I hate that!

(This last statement gives me a sense of deja vu, because I had written almost exactly the same words to the "Letter to the Editor" in Top Gear in 2005, talking about the idiotic pricing strategies for SUV's in India...)

However, lets wait and see.

Looks like for the "spend conscious" people, the only way out here in India, if one wants to own any of these "iconic" vehicles, is to wait for the second-hand market to warm up, with examples of the same.

(For example an used Mini Cooper can be bought for 22-32 lacs whereas a brand new example will cost a cool 42-50 lacs! One expects that there will be Jeep Wranglers Unlimited in the second-hand market in 2 years time from launch and while these may be priced at 50 lacs plus at launch, may probably be available at half that, in the used market 2 years down the line!)

Else of course, one can always go and sit in the Jeep showroom with one's tongue hanging out, like a dog begging for a biscuit - and then, tuck one's tail between one's legs, pop out and buy a Thar Crde 4x4 AC instead, at Rs 11 Lacs and keep shut after that!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks