Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2016, 16:14   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Since when has the Baleno and i20 been considered as a Premium Hatchback.
IMO, we don't have any appropriately priced premium hatch backs in India and neither the market for it. People who have the money would go for either Mercedes or Volvo and others would like a bigger car for the 12-18L that a premium hatchback like this should cost.
What will you call Baleno and Elite i20 then? Premium doesn't means it has to cost 20 lakhs. I am comparing with respect to Indian car market. You can't compare the premiumness of Indian market with maybe the U.S. market. We can call VW Beetle or MiniCooper as premium hatchbacks, but how many units do they sell in a month, 10-20 maybe. Everybody mentions Baleno and i20 as premium as they are the mainstream hatchbacks which sell well and are priced at a premium. Hope this clarifies.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 19:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
What will you call Baleno and Elite i20 then? Premium doesn't means it has to cost 20 lakhs. I am comparing with respect to Indian car market.
Correctly said. From Indian market perspective, Baleno, Elite i20, Jazz, Polo can be considered as Premium Hatchback segment which was un-thinkable some time back - spending more than 6L on a hatchback seemed foolish. But now the Indian market has matured and has accepted the Premium hatchback segment which was started by i20. Likewise, I hope i30 will start another Super Premium hatchback segment some years down the line.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 02:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
What will you call Baleno and Elite i20 then? Premium doesn't means it has to cost 20 lakhs. I am comparing with respect to Indian car market. You can't compare the premiumness of Indian market with maybe the U.S. market. We can call VW Beetle or MiniCooper as premium hatchbacks, but how many units do they sell in a month, 10-20 maybe. Everybody mentions Baleno and i20 as premium as they are the mainstream hatchbacks which sell well and are priced at a premium. Hope this clarifies.
Like I said above we don't have any appropriately priced premium hatchback in India.
A premium hatchback is one which has a proper roomy cabin with all the necessary luxury features. The cars you have mentioned are just hatchbacks IMO.
In your first line you say Premium doesn't mean it has to cost 20L and in the last line you say that Baleno and i20 are mainstream hatchbacks which sell at a premium. So despite saying that price shouldn't be a factor, you conclude that these cars are considered premium because they sell at a higher price. So basically you end up contradicting your own statement

For me price is not a factor which determines whether a car is premium. There should be enough room that passengers don't feel cramped and it should have decent enough feature set to be called a premium hatchback
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 07:38   #34
Team-BHP Support

I didn't see the Santa FE anywhere, something cooking?

Tuscon didn't have any AWD/4WD badge If it has the GC rivaling the Duster/Terrano, it is going to be a lot more practical to use.
Old 8th February 2016, 15:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Just when one was thinking that its all as usual at Hyundai, it must be a India first to debut their flagship Genesis in a crushed state! Not sure if it was such a great idea afterall but anyways its their way of registering the brand in the minds of public it seems!

Otherwise Tuscon should do well given the conservative fluidic design and i30 may have a niche in the ultra premium hatch (if such a segment exists)
Old 9th February 2016, 08:09   #36
BHPian

I am a serious buyer for Tuscon, and believe they have a world class design . Price range for this should be under 17 lks assuming it will be stripped version from its European variants.
Old 9th February 2016, 08:15   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by west View Post
I am a serious buyer for Tuscon, and believe they have a world class design . Price range for this should be under 17 lks assuming it will be stripped version from its European variants.
How is that possible? When Creta sells at the same price and that too with a 1.6L diesel? Pricing should be bang in the middle of Creta and Santa-Fe. Expect it more like 22-25L OTR.
Old 9th February 2016, 08:23   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

There were several reports indicating that the new Elantra was supposed to be displayed/launched at the Auto Expo. Did not see any reference to it anywhere.

Any updates on that?
Old 9th February 2016, 08:24   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How is that possible? When Creta sells at the same price and that too with a 1.6L diesel? Pricing should be bang in the middle of Creta and Santa-Fe. Expect it more like 22-25L OTR.
I meant 16.99 lks ex showroom Delhi for lowest variant .

It will be a great value, assuming creta is over priced.
Old 9th February 2016, 08:31   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by west View Post
I meant 16.99 lks ex showroom Delhi for lowest variant
I want it to be priced that way too! Even I would be seriously be interested. But they also need to price it above the Elantra which has a 1.6L diesel. And hence I highly doubt if it would be just around Creta pricing. But all said and done, its a speculation. On an high level, as per my assessment, the mid to top end would be some where 23-25 range.
Old 11th February 2016, 01:46   #41
Team-BHP Support

Pleasant surprise.

i30 has been displayed not just for eye candy, it is getting launched this year with a sub 10L price tag.

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...m_content=news

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th February 2016 at 01:47.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 08:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016

So things are moving to create a big hatch segment. The S Cross and now the I30. The +4 meter excise tax really restricted the interior space on almost call our hatches and the so called mini SUVs. Both Maruti and Hyundai look to be trying to break the norm and give quality products in the hatch segment hopping that the customer will in the end pay a little more for a quality product. Clap.
The I30 with a wheel base just around 50mm shorter than the New Elantra ,is sure to be one spacious hatch. The Jewel will obviously be the the extremely refined 1.6 CRDI, coupled with Hyundai's long equipment list should tick all the right boxes and open this segment up

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 11th February 2016 at 08:32.
Old 12th February 2016, 18:32   #43
BHPian

Visited the impressive Hyundai Stall @ the Auto Expo 2016. Sharing some random pictures :

Well split open :
Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-hyundai-1.jpg

Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-hyundai-2.jpg

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid :
Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-hyundai-3.jpg

Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-hyundai-5.jpg

For that Adrenaline :

Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-hyundai-7.jpg

Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-hyundai-8.jpg

Some Real Time Gaming :

Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-hyundai-9.jpg

Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-hyundai-6.jpg

GENESIS :

Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-hyundai-11.jpg

Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-hyundai-10.jpg
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 09:36   #44
BHPian

i30s land for R&D purposes?

Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-hyundai.jpg

List of currently offered engines in i30:

Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016-i30-e.jpg

Why do I say i30?

- Import shows a car equipped with 2.0 liter petrol engine.
- Currently, None of the Hyundai cars in India has 2.0 liter petrol option.
- Hyundai lists 2.0 liter petrol engine option in international i30 offerings.
- Hyundai India's next big offering is supposed to be i30.
- Powerful engine to differentiate from Polos, Puntos.

Source and Source

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 19th July 2016 at 09:48.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 20:03   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai to introduce 8 new products in India by 2020 -would introduce new technologies in domestic market such as "mild" and "full" hybrid, "automatic manual transmission" and "turbo gasoline engine.

Quote:
will expand and strengthen our product line with eight new launches equipped with new technologies out of which, three will be new segment products and five will be full model change, apart from regular product enhancements and facelifts

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed