Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 23:56   #16
BHPian

re: Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!

Another sub 4-meter ugly duckling from the rear.

Its a simple rear chop-job on the vento.

They chopped it and voila, its become a skoda at the back.
Take that VW badge, and you might never know if its a skoda or a VW.

Where will they price this car is a question.

Given a proper automatic diesel, this car is bound to sell.

What do you think these things in the glove-box are?
Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-13-aaa_1979.jpg
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 01:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

A sedan is said to be cheaper to manufacture than the corresponding hatch and the taxes being equal in this case, this surely will bring in some margins for VW.

However, VW has done a very neat job. The profile reminds of the E36 BMW 3 series compact, that also employed a stubby boot.
Old 4th February 2016, 01:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

I had already posted my rant about how bad or ugly the car looks like all the CS, so no point in repeating it as No manufacturer would intentionally design an ugly looking car.
I think its a good move as Polo and Vento sales are not very impressive and if VW even cannibalises Polo's sales by Ameo it would atleast get more revenue per car.
Segment leaders miss long feature list and Diesel AT and Ameo surely would target those gaps first and then we will get to see the real impact by the sales numbers. I won't be surprised if it beats Polo.
The Triangular Planes as mentioned by the OP were referred to as 'Prism Cuts' in the Rapid review. I liked it that way.
Also in the video posted, the Ameo is having different Alloys as shown in the pics above, so not only the size, the design of Alloys in the production version would be different than what is shown at Auto Expo.

Nowadays it is getting really tough to keep track of all the launches and I am getting bored of the cars quite fast (Creta, S Cross, TUV and even the Kwid look like launched ages ago especially after looking at Brezza) so I don't know what to say about so early unveiling of Ameo wrt the launch date.
Old 4th February 2016, 01:51   #19
BHPian

@iamahunter : the dummy slots are for TPMS reset and passenger airbag deactivation found across VAG models outside India.
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 02:48   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The rear bumper seems to be be a huge part of the rear end of the car. I bet it is a relatively expensive part. That angled line on the rear quarter makes it look ugly and unfinished. Until it caught my eye, I thought that the general look of the car was good, but this one thing spoils it for me.
Old 4th February 2016, 03:11   #21
mxh
BHPian

Those tail lights are more or less flush with the rear bumper. I expect a lot of broken tail lights being reported soon, particularly the way people drive in Mumbai. What is the ground clearance of this car? Even with 16" wheels I see massive gaps in those wheel wells!

Last edited by mxh : 4th February 2016 at 03:17.
Old 4th February 2016, 07:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

If priced right i feel vento will slowly be out of the market. I mean this looks stunning, Almost expect when you look at the rear profile from any angle. But those alloys, infotainment, options, abs and airbags would make this a perfect sedan for many who cant and who don't want a polo but dont want to pay for vento.

Imagine around 6-7L with DSG. Thats crazy affordable (one of the best) AT box ever in this segment.

I like the car against all the negativity here for the package it delivers. Lets hope they price it right. Even if they pit it against ascent (honda) it should be around 7L which is still a great value.

Considering the shame VW is going through winning customers may not be a bad idea and that means giving 10year warranty or something like that.
Old 4th February 2016, 07:40   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

@ VW - You have given us a car which most probably cannibalize your own cars - Polo /Vento. Don't see any substantial numbers coming on the sales figures , though the Ameo looks best in this segment.

Instead you should have worked on the sub compact SUV and unveiled it here. Get the T CROSS by end 2017, that is if you are serious of the Indian Market.

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th February 2016 at 07:48.
Old 4th February 2016, 10:01   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If priced right i feel vento will slowly be out of the market. I mean this looks stunning, Almost expect when you look at the rear profile from any angle. But those alloys, infotainment, options, abs and airbags would make this a perfect sedan for many who cant and who don't want a polo but dont want to pay for vento.

Imagine around 6-7L with DSG. Thats crazy affordable (one of the best) AT box ever in this segment.

Even if they pit it against ascent (honda) it should be around 7L which is still a great value.
I think that kind of pricing would be too optimistic. The Polo 1.5 TDI Comfortline is ~7.5 Ex Showroom Delhi and the Highline is ~8.2. Assuming that the Ameo will sit at a minimum 30K premium over the Polo, and adding 1-1.2L for the DSG, we are looking at ~9L Ex Showroom for a Ameo Comfortline TDI DSG and ~9.7 for a Highline TDI DSG (Assuming the AT will be available in 2 variants). This is with the assumption that the TDI will be in the Polo State of tune and not the GT TDI/Vento TDI tune.

In comparison the Dzire ZDI AMT is 8.4L Ex Showroom and the Zest AMT is ~8.2. A premium of 1L over these 2 for a bigger engine and a far superior gearbox is worth it in my opinion. Need to see if the market thinks the same.

From an OTR perspecitve, I think we will be looking at between 11-12 Lakh OTR in a high tax place like Bangalore. Still 2-2.5 L cheaper than the Vento TDI DSG. Keeping the Vento with the higher state of tune maybe one differentiating factor. But no doubt it will cannibalize the Vento.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 10:15   #25
BHPian

For me, this car is a disappointment looks wise. Traditionally VAG cars have a timeless elegance which is missing in the boot area of this car, I'm surprised they took so long to come up with this car and it still looks like a hack job.

However, given the priorities of the Indian market (price, mileage, brand) this car is going to seriously cannibalize the Vento / Rapid. Not sure what their USP will be anymore, and they are anyway not setting any sales charts on fire.

Maybe VAG assumes that Ameo sales will more than make-up for the cannibalization. Is there any news of a Skoda-badged Ameo yet?
Old 4th February 2016, 10:47   #26

The rear mid section bears resemblance to that of the Skoda Rapid.
Old 4th February 2016, 11:16   #27
BHPian

VW gives us a robustly built and feature packed sub-4 sedan with excellent fit and finish. It might even come with a nice DSG auto. But, it is the Dzire that will still top sales charts. Why? If you ask me, it has something to do with a disease called herd mentality. One guy jumps a red light and ten others follow him - he did it first, so it must be right, right?
hrishik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 11:24   #28
BHPian

This looks outright ugly. The boxy boot design has spoiled the beautiful timeless design of the front. I think they gave the designing job to some newbie.
Akib Khan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 11:52   #29
BHPian

As someone who has a VW vehicle, I can safely say that is the least attractive car to come out from them!! They are already late to introduce a C1 segment car by at least 5 years and this is what they do

The only thing going to happen here is that it is going to cannibalize Vento sales and that too just because of Price tag. On average I assume 1/2 out of 10 who test drive Vento go ahead and buy it. Out of the rest 8, maybe they can convince another 1-2 to have some budget cuts and take an Ameo home.
Old 4th February 2016, 13:05   #30
BHPian

Re: VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Battle of the Compact Sedans - which one is uglier?
Glad that Kite 4 is NOT in this list.

Safe to say Kite 5 is by far one of the best looking of these all !
&
aren't we missing a potential winner (of the ugliest title) in the Verito here?
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks