Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2016, 14:30   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!

Namste India - VW Ameo roadshow to begin soon!

Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-capture.jpg
Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 15:05   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Namste India - VW Ameo roadshow to begin soon!
Ok, I may not be the best person to quote it but I think they got the 'Chennai' spelling wrong.

Pretty sure the first letter should come second. And the mysterious character underneath the third letter as well

Saw it again. The last two letters are interchanged as well. Good work VW.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th May 2016 at 06:29. Reason: As requested
Old 10th May 2016, 15:29   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Ok, I may not be the best person to quote it but I think they got the 'Chennai' spelling wrong.

Pretty sure the first letter should come second. And the mysterious character underneath the third letter as well

Saw it again. The last two letters are interchanged as well. Good work VW.
There is one more. In English it says city as 'Hyderabad' , but the vernacular language used is 'Gujarati' and reads' Amdavad'.

LOL

Last edited by Aditya : 11th May 2016 at 06:29. Reason: Quoted text edited
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 18:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
There is one more. In English it says city as 'Hyderabad' , but the vernacular language used is 'Gujarati' and reads' Amdavad'.

LOL
OT: Yes and Hyderabad is not in Telugu as well. Chennai is horribly wrong while they have got Coimbatore right. Whoever vets these, ought to be taken to task!!Any bad publicity is not good for VW especially
Old 10th May 2016, 19:00   #80
BHPian

May be Hyderabad and Ahmedabad sound the same in German and then they try to translate to a random Gujarati word. I was surprised to see the script that's new to me, trying to read Hyderabad.
Hope it's corrected and not published the same way in the Newspapers, else it could hurt the sentiments of the public, which could influence the purchase decision :P
Old 10th May 2016, 20:22   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

VW seems to have modest targets for the Ameo. As per a report in ET, VW is looking at a 15% rise in production in 2016 most of which will be due to the Ameo. 15% means around 18-20,000 units per year which will translate into 1500 units per month. Even assuming all the increase will happen post the Ameo launch, it is still about 2500 cars per month.

Of course it would be a win if they can achieve even that without impacting the Polo and Vento numbers.

Quote:
Banking on its upcoming compact sedan Ameo, German automaker Volkswagen is eyeing 15 per cent rise in production volume in India this year as against 1.23 lakh units produced in 2015.

The auto major, which is battling diesel emission scandal globally, also denied any move to cut jobs at its manufacturing plant at Chakan in Pune.

"There is an increase of about 15 per cent in production volume expected at the Volkswagen Pune plant in 2016 as compared to 2015," Volkswagen India President and Managing Director Andreas Lauermann told .

This rise will come from the new model Ameo, which is purely for the domestic market right now, as well as some additional volumes for export markets, he added.
Source: ETAuto
Old 11th May 2016, 16:58   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Ameo TDI seen on test, seems to indicate the petrol variant will debut initially and the diesel at a later date.

Bookings will open from tomorrow!

Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-2016volkswagenameocomfortlinetesting.jpg
Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-2016volkswagenameocomfortlinespottedontest.jpg

http://www.motorbeam.com/2016/05/car...otted-testing/
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 07:22   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

The sub compact sedan from Volkswagen , Ameo roadshow and bookings begin today. Here are its highlights,

Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-capture.jpg

Engine and Transmission
1.2L MPI Petrol (5-speed Manual)
1.5L TDI Diesel (5-speed Manual)
1.5L TDI Diesel (7-speed DSG)

First in segment features
Single-folding rear seat backrest
Cruise Control
Automatic Rain Sensing Wipers
Power windows with one-touch operation (front and rear)
Opening and closing of windows with key remote
Anti-pinch power windows, front and rear

Safety
ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) (Standard in all variants)
Dual-front airbags, driver and passenger side (Standard in all variants)
Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) (on variants equipped with DSG transmission)
Hill Hold control (on variants equipped with DSG transmission)

Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-1.jpg
Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-2.jpg
Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-3.jpg
Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-4.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th May 2016 at 07:23.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 08:51   #84
AYP
Senior - BHPian

In typical VW fashion the mid variant is poorly equipped. It misses out on stuff like the rear parking sensors, steering mounted controls and even automatic climate control. These features(atleast some of them if not all) are present in the mid variants of the majority of the compact segment sedans, premium hatchbacks and C-2 segment sedans. The mid variant is not VFM at all.
Also, this being the first compact sedan to be based on a premium hatch(or a chopped version of a C-2 segment sedan) makes the matter worse.

I was of the opinion that most of the Ameo buyers would be prospective Polo and Vento buyers. With this equipment level in the mid variant, I doubt if people would 'upgrade' from the Polo Highline to the Ameo Comfortline. Though prospective Vento buyers may still go for the Ameo Highline over the Vento Trendline or the Comfortline, both which are under equipped.

Last edited by AYP : 12th May 2016 at 08:54.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 09:45   #85
BHPian

All black interiors only in trendline, higher variants get beige and dual tone

Why is flash red missed out? Missing out on black color is ok, but red would've been attractive
Old 12th May 2016, 10:20   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Here are its highlights,

1.5L TDI Diesel (5-speed Manual)
1.5L TDI Diesel (7-speed DSG)
Thank you volkman10 for sharing the info here.

If the "Rumours" are to be believed and the updated 1.5 TDI is tuned to 112 BHP, the DSG will only make this one of the the Best/Fastest/Most Advanced Sub 4m car in the country

Could this mean a Sub 4m sedan with 0-100 timing of Sub 10 secs a possibility then ??

Quote:

Why is flash red missed out? Missing out on black color is ok, but red would've been attractive
Going by the "Testing" pics posted above by volkman10, this almost looks like another Polo on the road, at least the first half.

So may be, the Flash Red is omitted to add some visual difference ??

Last edited by Vik0728 : 12th May 2016 at 10:23.
Old 12th May 2016, 13:41   #87
BHPian

It is easy to see how hard the marketing team at VW worked - I mean
- 1st in class 1-touch windows!
- 1st in class anti-pinch windows!
- Opening and closing of windows with remote!

Did they not try to see beyond the windows?

Oh yes - the flip folding rear seat!

On a serious note - this looks like a seriously niche offering. The compact sedan segment is about 25k units (give or take a few). Most of them are in the 5 - 9 lakh range. The current Polo range is exactly in the same price range already.

The gap between the Polo and Vento for similar variants is about 2.5 lakh (approximately). So, logically speaking this should land up in the 6.25 to 10.25 range.

Given that this will a largely "Indian only" model, the entire development expenditure will have to be amortized on the sales in India only - so, not much economies of scale. Plus, will add to the pricing significantly. Will be very interesting to see how VW wants to play with this.
Aragorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 14:15   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
In typical VW fashion the mid variant is poorly equipped. It misses out on stuff like the rear parking sensors, steering mounted controls and even automatic climate control. These features(atleast some of them if not all) are present in the mid variants of the majority of the compact segment sedans, premium hatchbacks and C-2 segment sedans. The mid variant is not VFM at all.
Also, this being the first compact sedan to be based on a premium hatch(or a chopped version of a C-2 segment sedan) makes the matter worse.
AYP, For a person who is looking out for a fast diesel automatic with a great engine/gearbox combo priced less than 10L (assuming price here), this might be a good choice provided he/she can live with the looks. I am unable to digest the side profile of this car ! I also agree that the number of souls looking for such a car may be very less.

I agree that "comfortline" variant misses out on a lot of nifty features compared to the "highline" variant. However, for me, the only real deal breaker (in features) to choose 1.5L DSG "comforline" would be the absence of driver armrest and rear seat AC (more so the rear seat AC). I am ok with not paying for the rest of the features if the asking price for comfortline is significantly lesser than that of highline. Also, if the AC chilling is sufficient for the cabin, it might not be a bad choice afterall.

But then, all this is entirely personal preference, ain't it? To each his own & what works for me may not work for most.

That apart, Polo 1.5 GT (manual) is priced ~9+ L ex-showroom Bangalore. Wondering, what price range this might be introduced at? Alternatively, what would it take VW to launch Polo 1.5 + DSG in the comfortline variant? That might be a good option for many, if priced around ~9L.
naut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 14:19   #89
BHPian

Unless this is launched at a very attractive price point, I doubt if it will see a lot of success. It looks like a 'chota vento' and considering the market perception of VW's as high maintenance cars, the customets in this segment will play safe with the Dzire.
Old 12th May 2016, 14:45   #90
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
I agree that "comfortline" variant misses out on a lot of nifty features compared to the "highline" variant. However, for me, the only real deal breaker (in features) to choose 1.5L DSG "comforline" would be the absence of driver armrest and rear seat AC (more so the rear seat AC). I am ok with not paying for the rest of the features if the asking price for comfortline is significantly lesser than that of highline. Also, if the AC chilling is sufficient for the cabin, it might not be a bad choice afterall.

But then, all this is entirely personal preference, ain't it? To each his own & what works for me may not work for most.

That apart, Polo 1.5 GT (manual) is priced ~9+ L ex-showroom Bangalore. Wondering, what price range this might be introduced at? Alternatively, what would it take VW to launch Polo 1.5 + DSG in the comfortline variant? That might be a good option for many, if priced around ~9L.
I think that the Comfortline DSG will be priced at around 10L rupees along with the highline manual. This car will be priced at atleast 50k-100k above equivalent Polo models.
As far as the trim level is concerned, yes the engine and gearbox is awesome but they should atleast try to match the Ciaz Vxi+ and the City SV level of equipment with the Vento and Ameo Comfortline. Whereas in reality, they are much closer to the Ciaz Vxi and the City S or perhaps somewhere in between. Many customers will feel short-changed if they pick up the mid variant of these cars.
Alternately, they can launch a Comfortline+ variant and give some extra features. But I doubt if they will do this in India.

Last edited by AYP : 12th May 2016 at 14:51.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks