Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 12:15   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!

It is a case of "I too want that big delicious pie" move from Volkswagen. Volkswagen cars until Ameo were all classy, timeless and a treat to look at (I drool everytime when I see a new blue Jetta pass by). At the time when people move away from compact sedans to better looking, better equipped hatchbacks in the same price range, Volkswagen tries its luck with the compact sedan segment.

If I was a prospective buyer who likes Volkswagen, I would rather buy a Polo or extend my budget to a beautiful brown Vento. Ameo just doesnt look like a VW, to me.

Else for a 10lakh budget, the Elite i20/Figo/Jazz makes a lot of sense, along with better legroom.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th June 2016 at 12:21.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 16:29   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI Test Drive review of the Ameo,

Skip the 1.2Petrol, await for the improved 1.5TDI Diesel!

Quote:
petrol with a manual gearbox. It's the Polo's 1.2-litre naturally aspirated three-cylinder motor that makes 74hp and 110Nm, and unfortunately, this is the Ameo's weakest link. For a start, it's not refined, and it fires to life with a distinct three-cylinder thrum. It settles down at low revs, but the moment you open it up even slightly, the engine is quite audible. Then there's the performance itself. It feels good enough for this 1,069kg car, but that's about it. It isn't particularly strong at the bottom end or mid range and it doesn't enjoy being revved - feeling strained after 4,500rpm. The 240kph max-speed reading on the speedo feels a bit redundant when it's given all it's got at just over 140kph.
Quote:
As with the Polo and Vento, the handing isn't incredibly rewarding, but it's safe and predictable. The steering is not sharp like a Ford or a Honda,
Quote:
The 330-litre boot is 77 litres short of the segment best, but with the Polo as a starting point, that's as good as could have been expected
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-402185,0.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th June 2016 at 16:33.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 16:32   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I don't understand such positive reactions on Team BHP.
What is so great about the pricing? VW priced it at par with other cars in the segment more or less. May be because it's a "German" car.

The point to note here is that the Ameo is the only car in the segment with an archaic 3-pot motor which can't match the refinement and performance of other cars in the segment. So, forgetting all the detailed comparisons of the minutest of features like sunglass holder or glove box light, this car can't match it's rivals in the engine itself and that itself is a huge disadvantage in a segment where we have so many well established players. And if Ameo has the same legroom as the Polo, I wonder how many units it will move!
+ 1 to your views.
There is no USP which the Ameo can boast of over the Polo.
On top of that, this is the only 3 Pot engine in the competition.

Other than the "German" tag, Ameo loses the game even at the start.
The high line which has most of the featured features is pricey.

Additionally, the ASC is still anybody's gamble.
I honestly see no real intent of getting the Ameo as I fail to see any significant differentiation vs the Polo.

Additionally,existing Polo owners will certainly crib as the car is only seen as a portfolio enhancer for VW than anything else.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 16:55   #199
BHPian

Good pricing because of the fact that many had anticipated VW to price it higher than competition given their premium image. VW could have managed a better pricing considering the fact that this is the only one with a 3 cylinder engine.

Petrol highline @ 7 lacs. Add 1 lac premium for diesel and another lac for the DSG, most likely the top of the line diesel AT will be around 9 lacs, if so it'll be a great offer - fingers crossed

This is the 2nd instance in India where a company has a hatchback, sub 4 meter sedan and proper sedan co-existing in its portfolio.

Last time it was TATA, when it sold the Indica, Indigo CS and the Indigo together, in fat TATA had 4 cars including the Indigo XL at one point

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 6th June 2016 at 16:56.
Old 6th June 2016, 17:14   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Overdrive's first-drive review of the Ameo 1.2L MPI is out.

Excerpts:

Quote:
Overall, the dashboard feels the most premium in the segment and the feature list is rich. The downside however is that the Ameo sits on the Polo wheelbase which means rear knee room is compromised. With tall passengers up front, there isn’t much usable space at the rear and the Ameo has one of the most cramped rears in the segment. As I see it, this is one of the Ameo’s biggest weaknesses.

Despite being the least powerful car on paper, the Ameo is quite nice to drive. It’s not fast, but quite engaging. The three cylinder motor has a gruff note that sounds quite interesting at higher revs. The engine is tractable at low speeds and in city, driving is quite pleasant. However, it tends to stall in reverse if you don’t slip the clutch enough. On the highway, a downshift or two is necessary for a fast overtake but it can sit at an indicated 120kmph quite easily.

The Volkswagen Ameo runs on an unmodified version of the Polo chassis and like the engine, the suspension set-up has been untouched. This means you get a mix of good ride comfort and capable dynamics. The Ameo soaks up bumps well and is quite comfortable. Like the Polo, it tends to roll a bit in the corners but still generates good grip. Unlike the Polo, which comes with Apollo’s great Alnac tyre, the Ameo runs MRF ZVTVs in the same 185/60 R15 size. Steering feel is good with a pleasant firmness at low speeds that builds progressively as you go faster. High speed composure is great and the Ameo has a confidence inspiring feel of solidity on the highway.
Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-volkswagenameo4.jpg

Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-volkswagenameo16.jpg

Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-volkswagenameo18.jpg

OverDrive
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 18:12   #201
BHPian

The pricing strategy on this one is beyond me

I have a 6 month old Vento for which i payed 13.5 big ones
TDI with DSG - Comfortline

It does not have the following features which its cheaper sibling Ameo has:
1. Alloy Wheels
2. Steering mounted controls
3. Touchscreen music system
4. Rear View Camera
5. Rain sensing wipers
6. Bluetooth connectivity
7. Dual tone interiors
8. Electrically foldable ORVMs
9. Auto Dimming IRVM

That's heart wrenching .
Maybe VW should start a modular upgrade program at reasonable prices from now on.

At this price point with all the features I think the Ameo is a steal. I can vouch for the comfort, safety and the overall quality of a VW having lived with one for sometime now.

Last edited by Shashidl : 6th June 2016 at 18:20.
Shashidl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 18:24   #202
BHPian

Bangalore-OTR price update as received from VW White field over phone.

Highline variant - 8.7 Lacs
Comfortline - 7.6 Lacs.

Above prices are including extended warranty.
redbaron91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 20:06   #203
BHPian

What's the extended warranty on offer here?
Old 6th June 2016, 20:31   #204
BHPian

I do not think the Ameo will gain much traction till the Diesels and the DSG TDI will be launched later this year. Actually this I think is more like a soft launch for them. They announced the product earlier this year, then their diesel engines got banned and existing are due for recall. Meanwhile they had already shown the product. What to do now ?

This is just an exercise to not go out of the customers sight and mind. Else people would forget that an Ameo compact sedan is coming in from the VW stable.
manishkapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 20:58   #205
Senior - BHPian

So basically the 1.2MPI drives the same way the Polo 1.2 MPI did, I had driven the 3 potter for 5000 kms or so, For the City its completely fine to live with such an engine, But on the highway's it was a pain, Specially when you needed to overtake in a hurry.

People looking at the ameo should first set priorities to what they would want, More features, Better built quality than the competition or a more responsive engine?
Old 6th June 2016, 23:36   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
People looking at the ameo should first set priorities to what they would want, More features, Better built quality than the competition or a more responsive engine?

+1 to above point.
For the petrol compact sedan shoppers, if safety, solid build and features are more important than engine performance and interior space, then Ameo is the best option and with the most value for money, even in its middle variant.

Would be interesting to watch its sales in coming months.
Old 7th June 2016, 08:02   #207
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!

Ameo bookings open. Saw this ad in newspaper today.

Volkswagen Ameo @ Auto Expo 2016. EDIT: Starts at Rs. 5.14 lakhs!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1465266718.622465.jpg
TorqueyTechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 12:05   #208
BHPian

I read VW India is voluntarily recalling 1.9 lacs cars for software update after "Dieselgate scandal" - it will start from July 2016. Still there is no more information available right now. They will continue this recall for almost 10 months, starting from July.

Source - VW recalls 1.9 lac cars
Old 7th June 2016, 12:21   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Good pricing because of the fact that many had anticipated VW to price it higher than competition given their premium image

This is the 2nd instance in India where a company has a hatchback, sub 4 meter sedan and proper sedan co-existing in its portfolio.

Last time it was TATA, when it sold the Indica, Indigo CS and the Indigo together, in fat TATA had 4 cars including the Indigo XL at one point
How is this only the second time where there is co existence of a Hatchback, CS and Full size Sedan in one Brand

How about the below?

Maruti - Talk about Hatchbacks, Dzire, Ciaz
Hyundai - Again number of hatchbacks, Xcent, Verna
Honda - Brio, Amaze, City
Old 7th June 2016, 12:28   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
How is this only the second time where there is co existence of a Hatchback, CS and Full size Sedan in one Brand

How about the below?

Maruti - Talk about Hatchbacks, Dzire, Ciaz
Hyundai - Again number of hatchbacks, Xcent, Verna
Honda - Brio, Amaze, City
I meant all 3 which look the same with the same components and selling together
Closed Thread

Most Viewed