Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2016, 12:54   #196
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
The outgoing innova had a kerb weight of 1665kgs. Xuv-1785kgs and storme-2095kgs.

Asit
The weight quoted for Storme 2095kgs is for the older model and for 4x4 version. The latest 2016 weighs 2110kgs for the 4x4 and 1950kgs for the 4x2 version which should be compared to the Innova Crysta.

The screen shot taken from the new Safari Storme manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-screenshot_20160421124649.png  

Last edited by damodar : 21st April 2016 at 13:11.
damodar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 15:11   #197
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova 2015 vs Toyota Innova 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Buddy you think Toyota (or any other Japanese manufacturer) doesn't know how to shave off weight? They have been the masters of shaving off weight.
To start of with, I am definitely aware Japanese cars are the lighter ones and SOME of them are good with weight savings. That said there are numerous vehicle brands like VW, Audi, Volvo, Lotus who work on a much more innovative front and reduce weight massively while not compromising on safety.

Quote:
I have been following the new IMV platform (consisting of Innova, Hilux and Fortuner) since a couple of years and let me tell you the reason of Toyota increasing both weight and lenght/breath (even though wheelbase is identical and apparently interior usable space has come down) - is to improve Safety.
The IMV platform has been in existence from 2004 and here you are boasting of following it for last couple of years and authoritatively speaking about its utility. Just for the record, I have been seeing these vehicles primarily the Hilux from the 1980s along with the likes of Land Crusier J70s, Nissan Patrol pickups and even older Hiace vehicles.

Are you kidding me? Since when did increasing curb weight become the primary criteria for safety. Doesn't that indicate that a decade of existence, the cars you were getting were not upto the safety standards? Reducing weight and increasing the strength of the car is a design art. Going by your logic, the Maruti Baleno should be one of the most unsafe cars in its category.

Quote:
Your speculation is a childish rant without any research or insight in to vehicle design and manufacturing.
Please don't be critical about things you feel you know but don't? As a potential customer asking why the weight went up, space went down and I still pay a hefty premium, for safety features that should be a standard practice in today's roads. If that's a childish rant according to you, I definitely think you are too much a Toyota fanboy to agree that Toyota hasn't paid much attention to it and that is just the stark truth.

Quote:
By the way even I received the snapshot of safety features of new Innova variants but I had promised that I won't share it.

Because most features have already been shared by our Turbanator let me just add that all variants are getting ABS, EBD & BA with 3-Airbags as standard.clap
OMG! Wow! That is so cool. We are getting 3- Airbags in the 21st century. Really, your satisfaction for the actually routine stuff is really encouraging for companies to produce such low featured cars at hefty prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Since you've been researching the platform for long as mentioned, I'm interested in knowing why the Innova and others cars in the platform requires such heavy reinforcements for safety, while Toyota was able to design one of the lightest sedans in India (Etios) perfectly safe at less than a 1000 kg?

Surely ABS, EBD and 3 airbags isn't going to weigh much. Even Liva gets them as standard with only one airbag less.

Quote:
What is the comparison between a sedan/Hatch and an MUV?

Only the base model gets 3 airbags in Innova whereas top spec variant gets VSC and 7 airbags. (I don't know how much they add in weight though).

Crysta is also longer and wider with an all new engine, all these factors would have contributed to increase in weight.

If at all you want to make a point you compare new Innova in weight and other factors with other full size 7-seater MUVs and make your point.

I am sure both old and new Innova will come out trumps in comparison to other MUVs with respect to weight. (That is lighter than other MUVs).

Whereas comparison between 1st gen Innova with Innova Crysta, as we all know the 1st gen Innova was never crash tested and being an older platform would have most probably scored less than Crysta.

Crysta has scored 4 or 5 stars depending on presence of VSC in ASEAN crash tests. The body was considered safe, has ISO anchors for child seats and full 3-point seat belts for all occupants.

Regards.
Again I repeat, Bigger vehicles don't neccessarly mean heavier vehicles. Sorry, dude that logic just doesnt cut it. An almost equally sized vehicle like Lodgy ( not a direct comparison) is almost a good 200-300kg lighter.

A bigger and more comfortable Toyota Previa with a much bigger engine is almost the same weight.

I am not of the opinion that Innova Crysta is a bad vehicle, but it certainly isnt a great evolution.
daywiz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 17:13   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Only the base model gets 3 airbags in Innova whereas top spec variant gets VSC and 7 airbags. (I don't know how much they add in weight though).
Regards.
Are you sure its VSC ? Does it mean the top spec Innova is a full time AWD vehicle ? I thought its ESP for the new models like in the New fortuner.
Old 21st April 2016, 17:35   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Are you sure its VSC ? Does it mean the top spec Innova is a full time AWD vehicle ? I thought its ESP for the new models like in the New fortuner.
Toyota calls ESP (aka ESC or DSC) as VSC. Both are same.

There is no relation between AWD/4WD and ESP/VSC.

All new fortuner will in addition to all the above mentioned safety features get an additional electronic aid for offroading called A-TC (Active Traction Control).

Note: A-TC is slightly different from regular TC.

VX & ZX also get Hill Start Assist Control and Starter Holding Control. I have no idea what the latter means.

In GX tab it is mentioned "Without (Timeout Control Only)". Again I don't know what that means.

Regards.

Last edited by mroptimist : 21st April 2016 at 17:40. Reason: Added info.
mroptimist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 21:48   #200
BHPian

The Innova test drive vehicles seemed to have been shipped to the dealers in Mumbai.
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-imageuploadedbyteambhp1461255395.914244.jpg
Received the picture on what'sapp. He said its from a Toyota dealership Stockyard Thane.
dean5545 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 08:10   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
I am not of the opinion that Innova Crysta is a bad vehicle, but it certainly isnt a great evolution.
Have you driven the vehicle? I am eager to know first hand reviews of people who have driven it - so far its media reports and they have not been clear.

But if you are basing your judgement of the overall vehicle (not just space) on numbers and specifications, I would say its too early to have one. You maybe surprised either way.

Also T-BHP is my holy grail- the mods in their AutoExpo report were quite pleased with what they saw, felt and experienced.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:02   #202
Senior - BHPian

Basic question :

T-BHP review (pg 1) says the interior space is more than the current model.

The Dubai member says that it is a 2 finger clearance in row 2.

Which is correct, mods?
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:02   #203
BHPian

Quote:
When i first saw the boot space without setting the first and second row leg room for my height, i was also satisfied. But once it was set, i found the difference. I will upload the other two images which shows bigger boot space with lesser third row leg room
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
Its confirmed, I too had taken a visit to the Dubai showroom. Tried checking out sitting in different positions. Overall dimensions are considerably bigger, but interior is down, couldn't really make out where they lost the extra space. The freshness and the overall new interior look creating an illusion of a bigger car. The weight is also up. But the new engines will definitely help improve the mileage but don't believe it will be a big difference because of the added weight.
rrsteer. I guess he has actually checked it out. Go back to page 12 and you will find relevant information.
Old 22nd April 2016, 19:36   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Have you driven the vehicle? I am eager to know first hand reviews of people who have driven it - so far its media reports and they have not been clear.

But if you are basing your judgement of the overall vehicle (not just space) on numbers and specifications, I would say its too early to have one. You maybe surprised either way.

Also T-BHP is my holy grail- the mods in their AutoExpo report were quite pleased with what they saw, felt and experienced.
Didn't you just contradict yourself? T-BHP moderators too saw/felt the vehicle and did not drive it? Until the media drive, you will have bits and piece of information trickling in (in the form of personal opinion of people who may have seen it, read about it, researched online etc).

BTW, one of Innova's forte has been the interior packaging which made it just perfect (without doubt in addition to the legendary Toyota reliability). If the interior space is lower (and that too by 26 cm, as seen in brochures shared on this forum), it is a show-stopper for a few (if not many) prospective buyers.

Toyota, I would doubt, would make such a big goof-up, but we need to see what is in store.
Old 22nd April 2016, 19:39   #205
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Can anyone throw some light on what is the ground clearance of the Innova or what could be ?
Old 22nd April 2016, 19:47   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Toyota, I would doubt, would make such a big goof-up, but we need to see what is in store.
They can afford to take such risk if they decide to continue current innova for the taxi market. Crysta most probably take current fortuner's place (in terms of pricing) so that they can price new fortuner even higher.

It may become problem for Toyota, if they discontinue current Innova and launch bare bone Crysta base variant for taxi market at a marginal premium pricing (over current one). Some customers will move away if third row space is compromised. That may increase the demand of old innova in taxi market.
Old 22nd April 2016, 19:52   #207
BHPian

The official 3 page intro brochure
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-imageuploadedbyteambhp1461334858.774118.jpgToyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-imageuploadedbyteambhp1461334883.769384.jpgToyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-imageuploadedbyteambhp1461334934.638622.jpg
sudeep.pandya is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 20:41   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Didn't you just contradict yourself? T-BHP moderators too saw/felt the vehicle and did not drive it? Until the media drive, you will have bits and piece of information trickling in (in the form of personal opinion of people who may have seen it, read about it, researched online etc).
Yeah I meant the saw/felt perspective only. The mods were impressed. So that was that on the space side. I believe them.
Overall, my contention is it is too early to say that the overall vehicle isn't a 'great evolution', even if the third row is cramped than before. Lets wait for a proper test drive. Probably it may not be after all. But no harm waiting. Agree?
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:57   #209
BHPian

It seems that the Innova Crysta will be officially launched in the first week of May followed by deliveries towards the end of May. Production of the new model is in full swing to build up inventory. I got this from a guy who works at TKML.
Old 23rd April 2016, 14:56   #210
BHPian

Got a call from dealer in Pune. Launch date is 2nd or 3rd May. Booking amount of Rs 5 Lac. Says because of high demand the booking amount has been increased. Can somebody check and confirm i find it too high for a 20 lac car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed