Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 13:00   #256
BANNED

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by majopjose View Post

Interior Length : Old model 288 cm Vs Crysta 260 cm (28 cm short)
The 28cm shortage (almost 1 feet!) in new Innova's interior length is a huge - actually, very huge - difference when comparing the interior space. I fear it will lose the main advantage of Innova compared to other 7-seaters like Ertiga and Mobilio.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 26th April 2016 at 13:02.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 14:55   #257

Dear All,

Posting the internal dimensions again.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-2014-innova-internal-s.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-2016-innova-.jpg  

majopjose is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 15:31   #258
BHPian

Saw the Crysta on the road with KA temp plates near Hinjewadi, Pune.
The car had good presence on the road. And you are sure to tell that this IS an Innova.
It had really good dimensions and I'm sure the space inside is going to be just amazing.
It was a Maroon/Dark Red kind of shade - very close to the Carneline Red of Honda.

I'm pretty sure that even if Toyota asks for an insane premium over the outgoing one it would sell still.
Old 27th April 2016, 01:12   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Checked up with the local dealer.

No news about the car except that it will be launched in the first week of May (like we didn't know that!)
Nothing about the variants or the expected price or anything.

The lady explicitly refused to accept any bookings until the official launch.
Old 27th April 2016, 06:55   #260
Senior - BHPian

Looks like we just cannot get enough of GC and interior space as years go by.

Recently, I saw some posts questioning the GC of even 180 mm of the S Cross. What matters is whether the given clearance is enough. Sometimes, even a GC of 156 mm is just enough. It doesn't matter whether you can see the fit your head through the gap in the wheel well or not.

Likewise for space. It just needs to be enough. Not every car can be a limo. If a new generation needs to be compact in the interest of safety and better dynamics without a big increase of footprint on road, then so be it.

We raised a similar hue and cry when another popular car exchanged interior space for better quality, engineering and dynamics when the new generation debuted. Learned BHPians wondered whether the new one will sell enough due to lack of space. And well, it went onto sell 2x times the older generation each month. Yes, I am talking about the DZire here.

From the pictures at least, the Crysta looks good on space. Let's touch and feel the car in metal and then judge the space. Sometimes, we just give too much importance to the spec sheet.
deetjohn is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 20:31   #261
Senior - BHPian

The Indonesian website indicated that the car has rear drum brakes. Shocking

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-innova.jpg

This was for the 2.4 Diesel, with 5 speed MT. The Brakes were same for the 2.0 and 2.7 petrol versions.

With such power and mass, it should have 4 disc brakes as standard, no two ways to it. Even the 1.3 S-Cross has 4 discs. Come on, Toyota.
Old 27th April 2016, 20:54   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Looks like we just cannot get enough of GC and interior space as years go by.

Recently, I saw some posts questioning the GC of even 180 mm of the S Cross. What matters is whether the given clearance is enough. Sometimes, even a GC of 156 mm is just enough. It doesn't matter whether you can see the fit your head through the gap in the wheel well or not.
GC does matter when it comes to a people carrier as it's bound to carry more people than a sedan or a hatchback. I'm forced to exercise more caution while driving my Lodgy as it's low GC is one of its sore points. It's even more accentuated with a long wheelbase like mine. 156mm is enough for a hatchback and not a 5000mm+ MPV. Given India's undulations on the road, the problem is only exacerbated. And a MPV with space as its USP, isn't interior space the number one criteria? No, we aren't asking for a coach in an MPV but as reported, the Crysta has lost valuable interior space albeit being longer than the current one.

Quote:
Likewise for space. It just needs to be enough. Not every car can be a limo. If a new generation needs to be compact in the interest of safety and better dynamics without a big increase of footprint on road, then so be it.
Agreed, it doesn't need be a limo. But let's not forget we are talking about a people carrier and not a sedan. A people carrier is no more one if it's compact. The Datsun Go+ is a compact and supposed 7 seater. Compact? There you have it.

Quote:
We raised a similar hue and cry when another popular car exchanged interior space for better quality, engineering and dynamics when the new generation debuted. Learned BHPians wondered whether the new one will sell enough due to lack of space. And well, it went onto sell 2x times the older generation each month. Yes, I am talking about the DZire here.
Space isn't the prime criteria for a compact sedan. People buy it for other reasons and for Maruti, you don't need logic; they just sell!

Quote:
From the pictures at least, the Crysta looks good on space. Let's touch and feel the car in metal and then judge the space. Sometimes, we just give too much importance to the spec sheet.
Yes, it looks good on space albeit appearing a bit claustrophobic, thanks to dark interiors. The people who discussed this issue (another thread) touched and felt the car and on one of the posters has the current gen Innova in India and the new Crysta in the Gulf. I'm afraid they weren't mere spec sheet speculation but the real deal.
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 22:04   #263
Team-BHP Support

saw a couple of new Variants at Chandigarh today except for Z Auto which I wanted to book. As per sales guy as of now this is the highest demanded/ enquired model and they are expecting 2-3 month delivery time for this due to limited allocation. 2.4 L engine sounded similar to outgoing one but the 2.8 one does surely sound better and should be in great demand. Somehow I was not entirely happy with the quality of dashboard on GX variant , though of similar design as in VX/ ZX & is differently finished in these variants. Probably they have a higher level of indigenisation on lower variants , even tyres are different - Apollo in GX against Bridgestone on V & Z.

I feel Toyota will price lower variants competitively with the small increase over existing ones and will instead price Z model at the relatively higher price.

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2016 at 10:21. Reason: Typos fixed
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 22:23   #264
BHPian

Quote:

Likewise for space. It just needs to be enough. Not every car can be a limo.
Space is definitely a factor when one considers a vehicle such as Innova. I have been on multiple long rides with 6-7 adults on board (have a 7 seater Innova). While the first and middle row passengers fared well, there was indeed minor discomfort for those seated in 3rd row. With the space reduced, the last row will now be practically limited to children. This will be a deal breaker for those who are considering it for seating more than 5.

Quote:
If a new generation needs to be compact in the interest of safety and better dynamics without a big increase of footprint on road, then so be it.
Dynamics (I'm referring to handling) was never a problem with the current Innova. In Crysta, looks like the ride quality is better with a small tradeoff on handling. I think it is a good move.

Last edited by badri : 27th April 2016 at 22:25.
badri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 07:33   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
saw a couple of new Variants at Chandigarh today except for Z Auto which I wanted to book. As per sales guy as of now this is the highest demanded/ enquired model and they are expecting 2-3 month delivery time for this due to limited allocation. 2,4 Ltr engine sounded similar to outgoing one but the 2,8 one does surely sound better and should be in great demand. Somehow I was not entirely happy with the quality of dashboard on GX variant , though of similar design as in VX/ ZX & is differently finished in these variants. Probably they have a higher level of indigenisation on lower variants , even tryes are different - Appolo in GX against Bridgestone on V & Z.

I feel Toyota will price lower variants competitively with the small increase over existing ones and will instead price Z model at the relatively higher price.
Hello
Turbanator..Is the booking open already in Chandigarh? I called them but they told me not until the car is launched..Also do you have any idea which model is going to get the tan interior?
Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 07:50   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
called them but they told me not until the car is launched.Also do you have any idea which model is going to get the tan interior?
Pioneer has started taking bookings since yesterday , I believe Globe will also start shortly .

Tan Interiors are only in ZX Auto expect some wait time for higher model unless you pick some accessories.

Quote:
The Indonesian website indicated that the car has rear drum brakes
Even Indian one has Drums including top GX -2,8 Auto
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-screen-shot-20160428-8.06.28-am.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th April 2016 at 08:07.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 07:57   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
GC does matter when it comes to a people carrier as it's bound to carry more people than a sedan or a hatchback... 156mm is enough for a hatchback and not a 5000mm+ MPV. Given India's undulations on the road, the problem is only exacerbated.
All I am saying is GC is not comparable across cars from even the same segment and its not a case of highest being the best always. For one hatchback 156 mm might just be enough and for another it has to be 170 mm. Its a function of wheelbase, track width, approach and departure angles, stiffness of the suspension, under body packaging etc. We cannot compare it going by the spec sheet alone.

Feel the car during a TD and understand whether it works for you. Sometimes, it just might and you don't have to reject one and compromise stating a number on the spec sheet.

Quote:
Space isn't the prime criteria for a compact sedan. People buy it for other reasons and for Maruti, you don't need logic; they just sell!

The Datsun Go+ is a compact and supposed 7 seater. Compact? There you have it.
I guess everyone is looking for space, right from A segment or be it the burgeoning compact segment. And all I am saying is we do not need abundance of space in any vehicle. Right amount of space, that's all we need. And sometimes, we miss out on a whole lot running after copious space. It's time we look at other things which is as important if not more important than space. That's where the Crysta is going score over Innova. And for all we know, the space might just be enough for the majority here. One wouldn't know unless they try the car out in person.

And like a Maruti, a Toyota Innova also doesn't need much logic to sell. LOL

Quote:
And a MPV with space as its USP, isn't interior space the number one criteria? No, we aren't asking for a coach in an MPV but as reported, the Crysta has lost valuable interior space albeit being longer than the current one.

Agreed, it doesn't need be a limo. But let's not forget we are talking about a people carrier and not a sedan.

Yes, it looks good on space albeit appearing a bit claustrophobic, thanks to dark interiors. The people who discussed this issue (another thread) touched and felt the car and on one of the posters has the current gen Innova in India and the new Crysta in the Gulf. I'm afraid they weren't mere spec sheet speculation but the real deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
Space is definitely a factor when one considers a vehicle such as Innova. I have been on multiple long rides with 6-7 adults on board (have a 7 seater Innova). While the first and middle row passengers fared well, there was indeed minor discomfort for those seated in 3rd row. With the space reduced, the last row will now be practically limited to children. This will be a deal breaker for those who are considering it for seating more than 5.
We don't have to go to Gulf to know the effective space in the Crysta. Just take a look at the content from the first page of this thread. I have posted the excerpts below.

And do note Viddy is a 6-footer It just looks like we have enough space inside and all rows are very usable.

For what all Crysta gains over the current Innova, a little loss of space is no loss at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Legroom has improved over the already-spacious ol' Innova! These seats offer enormous comfort, including A+ under-thigh support. Middle row has ISOFIX (for child seats), while all Innova passengers get 3-point seatbelts (even the 3rd row):
Attachment 1469248
Attachment 1469250

The chauffeur-driven seth (or college going dude ) can set it up for 'bed mode':
Attachment 1469255

Our supermodel is never one to resist posing for the camera! He has room to spare and remember, this is a 6-footer we're talking about!
Attachment 1469256
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1-touch tumble down action for the middle row:
Attachment 1469272

The last row:
Attachment 1469273

If you need to fit a taller occupant here, you'll need to slide the middle row forward. Still, very usable. Backrest has an adjustable recline:
Attachment 1469274

1-touch action to fold away the 3rd row seats (just pull the strap once). With all seats in place, the boot is still good for a couple of cabin bags.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 09:21   #268
Senior - BHPian

I have placed a booking for the top end auto variant. I was asked for a choice of Color and I confirmed grey.

We have been told the car will be there to see on the 2nd Monday.

Look forward to getting hold of this now ASAP in the first batch as I have a lot of travel In The following two three months.

Last edited by vkochar : 28th April 2016 at 09:22. Reason: Typing mistake
Old 28th April 2016, 10:05   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear Drum Brakes on a big powerful MUV at presumably higher asking price than the outgoing model is simply not done. Is Toyota not serious or it would be too much of an technical change to convert rear drums to discs? As far as I see I don't see the cost as a matter of concern as this isn't budget segment vehicle by any means.

Come on Toyota, you can certainly do better.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 14:47   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Rear Drum Brakes on a big powerful MUV at presumably higher asking price than the outgoing model is simply not done. Is Toyota not serious or it would be too much of an technical change to convert rear drums to discs? As far as I see I don't see the cost as a matter of concern as this isn't budget segment vehicle by any means.

Come on Toyota, you can certainly do better.
This is what beats me, since I was also expecting rear-disk brakes on the Crysta. And also expecting side/curtain air-bags.

Surprisingly, even the Fortuner has rear-drum brakes.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks