Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2016, 12:41   #31
BHPian

Looks amazing! As always, this is going to wipe the competition away .
Old 4th February 2016, 12:48   #32

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Thanks GTO for the coverage on the Innova. Wow 11 long years, been a long time. Look forward to the review on this machine.
Regards.
Old 4th February 2016, 12:51   #33
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2016 at 13:25.
ariendj is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th February 2016, 13:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

So this is the change of perspective Innova got upto from 2005 till 2016.

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-innova2005vs2016.jpg

1. Overall shape unmistakably shouts out an MPV and a Van at that and particularly Innova unlike a total transition from Qualis to Innova. The heritage does lie with origins of Qualis/Kijang just to give a perspective.

2. Nose goes flatter up and definitely looks better, though classical purists may say old still looks nice. To me both look good enough for their times.

3. However, the new front look will still take some time to digest like the Type IV that is running currently. To me, that is one ugly duckling. Side profile doesn't give any inkling of what is stored at the front. But is it going to hold the sales, you bet not. This one will fly off the shelves for sure whatever Toyota mints from it.

4. The interiors look top notch to say the least and one will feel pampered after the first gen I am sure.

5. The space and utility are somethings extremely well carried forward making even more room with space available. The 3rd row space seems similar to the Type I though.

6. The rear quarter panel glass should change some sunny perspective in the 3rd row. I have been in that row quite a few times and never did it give a feeling of lack of green house or claustrophobia. I feel the alignment and design of this glass may hamper this, need to experience in person.

7. A few sore points seem to be well taken care of.
The 1st row 2 step tumble and by 2 different levers is well taken care by the single action tumble.
Similarly the tedious 2 step tumble of 3rd row (Innova and Fortuner owner will relate to the agony of this) replaced by the single action tumble up is a fantastic change. Additionally the clipping of the tumbled seat up with a simple latch is another fantastic change I see.

8. What I am not seeing is how Toyota has addressed the agony of the Spare Wheel placement, removal and mounting. Guys do shed some light on the same.

9. As seen/read in recent reviews, it does seem to retain its cornering ability in the new platform. However, inspite of the better engines, it seems to still scream out at higher revvs. Only TD will tell. However, this does not in any manner hold it ability to cruise all day long at highway speeds without taking a breather.

10. The Front Overhang is still going to restrict its ability to take on some rough terrains.

11. The rear would look so much better without those unnecessary triangular side indicators. How beautiful and clean it would have looked loosing those and those indicators embedded in the horizontal Taillight design itself.

Last edited by parsh : 4th February 2016 at 13:10.
parsh is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 13:41   #35
BHPian

I wonder if the petrol will come with an auto transmission. I think there is a large constituency who do not travel long distances, and like to travel in "comfort". An AT petrol variant, even if made-to-order, would make a lot of sense.
Contrapunto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 13:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Had huge expectations for the upcoming Innova and the unveil has left me with missed reactions.

Positives:

Love the dual climate control set up and the rear with that digital display is "airline" like. Again, absolutely love it

The interior lighting is thoughtfully done and I'm a big fan of mood lighting. Also, perfect placement of cabin lamps. Is there one for the last row too?

From the pictures, the overall fit and finish looks classy, a far cry from the rudimentary setup of the current Innova.

The middle row looks spacious and I can see that the under thigh support is perfect! Kudos to Toyota for focusing on that as it's the USP of Innova.

All the electronic gizmos (very rare from Toyota) are a welcome change and bode really well with the USPs of the car.

Negatives:

This isn't a negative point (at this point in time) but I have a feeling the engine would be tuned more for longevity than performance. Again, I'm prepared to be surprised.

Absolutely gutted about the 5 speed gearbox. Perhaps due to the point mentioned above? Why not a choice of a 6 speeder MT? I have a feeling the tuning will be akin to the current Innova (read short gearing) - the Achilles heel of the present Innova. Wish to be proved wrong though but the lack of 6 speeder is a deal breaker for me. Never bothered about the automatic, so not a problem there.

The design is good and bad. Head on looks great but the same cannot be said about the side, rear 3/4th and the rear. There is a certain disconnect between the front and rear. The butch grille and design elements of the front gave an impression of a planted, solid MPV but the sides and the abrupt ending at the rear give it a rather skittish unfinished look. The tail lamps are an eye-sore. Also the wheel wells? Look like it's from a budget hatchback, not on a rock solid MPV.

Knowing Toyota, I'm sure this one wouldn't be VFM by any stretch of imagination. I'm sure there's a lot of kit this time, but still, pricing I'm afraid will reveal Toyota's greedy nature.

Sure was looking to this as an upgrade in a couple of years time, but not anymore, unfortunately. Still love the interiors though!
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 14:10   #37
BHPian

Thanks GTO and Vid6639 for the excellent coverage and those beautiful pics .

The dashboard seems to be overkill with so much things around and the ICE is surely from the 90's. And finally Innova gets the AT and hope Toyota doesn't price it in the stratosphere. But I do think that they will price it atleast 2L premium over the current version considering the improvements made in the new generation. But that won't stop folks from storming the showrooms, even if Lodgy is more VFM when compared to this.

Also, they may still continue to sell the current version to the fleet owners since they won't be interested in spending this much huge money.

BTW, any update on the ICE, will they switch it on atleast?
Old 4th February 2016, 14:30   #38
BHPian

It says two AT options. So will there be an automatic transmission on the petrol as well?
Old 4th February 2016, 15:20   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
8. What I am not seeing is how Toyota has addressed the agony of the Spare Wheel placement, removal and mounting. Guys do shed some light on the same.
No apparent improvements there, I am afraid.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 18:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
6-speed AT with 'sport' mode and tiptronic controls. I like the layout - down to downshift & vice versa:
Attachment 1469226
I absolutely hate this layout . Even the VWs have this. It is just totally counter intuitive. When you're picking up speed, you're push back into your seat, and it just feels natural (and not to mention easier) to also pull the gear lever back to change the gear. The same applies while braking, and even more so because generally braking G forces are more than those while accelerating.
Old 4th February 2016, 21:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
I strongly feel that current gen innova will continue to sell. Just like they have avanza and Innova selling side by side in Thailand.

http://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/avanza

http://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/innova
new avanza is cheaper than the innova?
Old 4th February 2016, 21:36   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

I find the rear styling disgusting! It looks like a walrus's tooth to me. And the protrusion outside the body means it will be extremely prone to beatings at the hands of careless bikers and three wheelers.

Having said that, going by the review, Toyota seems to have made an already extremely comfortable car more comfortable. With the added features, it is going to continue to rule the segment and be the best and most desired MPV.

I am extremely excited to TD it though. More than styling and features, the biggest thing that I disliked in the current gen Innova is the uninvolved drive. The new engine and AT option might just change all that.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 21:49   #43
BHPian

What will the markup over current model be? 5% might be fine but 10% - 15% might take it to a territory Innova might not sustain. Only time will tell.

Looks, interiors and styling are absolutely gorgeous! I wouldve chosen this over the current dying model anyday, oh well.
Old 5th February 2016, 00:09   #44
MMV
BHPian

Indeed its going to be a winner with revamped interiors and more powerful engines, the worry of course will be the premium charged. Innova prices are way above the rest ints segment, this will further move up with Crysta.
Old 5th February 2016, 00:40   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
new avanza is cheaper than the innova?
Avanza is a couple of sizes smaller than the Innova, please check the size and hence cheaper, it comes powered by a 1.5L petrol and 1.4L diesel.

The Innova Crysta looks a lot better, interior sure is worth the price now.

Thanks GTO and VID for the in-depth walkaround.

Last edited by amitc7 : 5th February 2016 at 00:49.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks