Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 15:27   #661
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Toyota Innova Crysta petrol variant coming this Diwali

Toyota is planning to launch a petrol variant of the recently launched Innova Crysta for the Indian market. This version will come powered by a 2.7-litre petrol mill, which is under development in Japan.

The Supreme Court’s diesel ban in India has had an effect on the sales for the carmaker. Sales of their cars have fallen. Also, the changing preferences of consumers from diesel to petrol has made Toyota consider introducing a petrol Innova Crysta for the Indian market. At present, the new MPV is offered in 2.8-litre and 2.4-litre engine options, but only in diesel. The former comes mated to a new six-speed manual transmission, while the latter is paired to a five-speed manual gearbox.

Toyota had earlier confirmed that they can provide additional engine options for the Innova Crsyta. This would depend on the customer preference and the requirement for the same. For the Thailand and Indonesian market, there is already a Crysta powered by a 2.0-litre petrol unit. However, the automaker is developing a new 2.7-litre petrol motor for our country to comply with our regulations mandate.

N Raja, director and senior vice president, sales and marketing, Toyota Kirloskar Motor, said, “We have seen our sales coming down by 800 units a month in Delhi since December after the Supreme Court ban. To address this issue, we have fast tracked the development of a 2.7-litre petrol engine. The R&D engineers in Japan are working on the new engine. We plan to launch the petrol variant of Innova Crysta in Delhi-NCR markets by Diwali this year.

The petrol Innova Crysta will not only help Toyota to stop their dropping sales, but also boost them. If we consider the MPV market in India; it garners around 35,000 units of sales per month. The new petrol version should help the carmaker increase their share in this segment and strengthen their leadership.

https://in.news.yahoo.com/toyota-inn...043800260.html

But why a 2.7L petrol mill? Can't they introduce a much smaller turbo-petrol engine?

Last edited by pradkumar : 18th May 2016 at 15:29.
pradkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 15:42   #662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I would be surprised, if they are actually developing a a new 2.7 petrol from scratch. That too for Delhi alone.

They have a vast range of engines already worldwide.
The 2.7 Petrol is already readily available with them, which is used in RAV4, camry abroad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AR_engine
It's just marketing talk. The 2.7 l petrol engine is already been used for the IMV platform and in the base Prado for almost a decade, and is the engine option for Innova in West Asia.

Also it won't be the AR engine, but the 2TR engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_TR_engine#2TR-FE

164bhp, 245nm with fuel consumption of 10-11km/l.

Other than the NCR customer base and people who want refinement, there is no other benefit going for the petrol version, unless it's priced way lower than the 2.4 D4d variant.

But since it's the 2.7l engine and not the 2.0l engine, guess the petrol Innova will be priced bang in the middle of the current pricing and come with option of automatic, if not being offered only in automatic.

Last edited by DicKy : 18th May 2016 at 15:52.
Old 18th May 2016, 15:48   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Toyota Innova Crysta petrol variant coming this Diwali

But why a 2.7L petrol mill? Can't they introduce a much smaller turbo-petrol engine?
When it comes to people movers, in my experience N.A engine did well than the turbo. At least in my case. Took a Chrysler Minivan and a Ford Escape on a trip in USA. One was a 3+L N.A engine and the other was a 2L Ecoboost.

Minivan returned more mileage than the SUV. This was with more people and luggage on board as well.

To their credit, Toyota manage to match the F.E. figures of their 'N.A' cars to that of a smaller displacement turbo engine. Check Camry vs Ford Fusion for more clarity.

I also feel the bigger displacement N.A engines are a lot relaxed in their behavior than the smaller turbocharged ones.

I liked the 3L V6 that came with my Avalon. It was connected to a 4-speed gearbox and that thing would fly

Recently saw a petrol Innova as well (from the first edition I suppose). A rare sight.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 15:54   #664
BHPian

Agreed! But I thought a turbo engine would generate more torque, which is a prime requisite for a 7/8 seater people mover.

Pradeeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
When it comes to people movers, in my experience N.A engine did well than the turbo. At least in my case. Took a Chrysler Minivan and a Ford Escape on a trip in USA. One was a 3+L N.A engine and the other was a 2L Ecoboost.

Minivan returned more mileage than the SUV. This was with more people and luggage on board as well.

To their credit, Toyota manage to match the F.E. figures of their 'N.A' cars to that of a smaller displacement turbo engine. Check Camry vs Ford Fusion for more clarity.

I also feel the bigger displacement N.A engines are a lot relaxed in their behavior than the smaller turbocharged ones.

I liked the 3L V6 that came with my Avalon. It was connected to a 4-speed gearbox and that thing would fly

Recently saw a petrol Innova as well (from the first edition I suppose). A rare sight.
Old 19th May 2016, 21:54   #665
BHPian

Took a test drive of both 2.4 manual and 2.8 auto both in ZX guise !

Came away mighty impressed with the interiors and even exteriors (looks far better in flesh than the photo ops)

Interior space is good enough. Pricing is definitely on the higher side.

But the 2.4 definitely felt quicker and eager than the 2.8 ! It was refined and less boomy than the auto. The auto sounded like the old safari ( whooosh) under hard acceleration. The numbers tell us that the 2.8 is almost 2 seconds quicker to 100 kmph but it did not feel that way at all ! Even roll on acceleration felt very sharp on the manual. Especially power mode made the responses quite exciting ! Could feel the power surge distinctly in the 2.4 and not so much in the 2.8.

Have always been looking at the auto for purely convenience sake but the manual version made me think. Finally the innova is not boring to drive at all !!

The ride quality was unreal and broken and "repatched" sections of road were smothered out superbly !

The crispness of the manual really made the car appeal to me. The trim panel of the auto stick itself is also of a "not great" quality I felt as compared to the other bits in the cabin. Brown leather and black leather both feel nice in the car.

Toyota has a winner on their hands and a booking from me
Dieselite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 23:20   #666
AWD
BHPian

Those considering ZX Auto, try the Endeavour also. Its within striking range, hugely more appealing. Seating is comfortable & interiors a good place to live in. Toyota does score on after sales but Fords initiatives like displaying parts prices & service costs on website are steps in the right direction.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 23:38   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Those considering ZX Auto, try the Endeavour also. Its within striking range, hugely more appealing. Seating is comfortable & interiors a good place to live in. Toyota does score on after sales but Fords initiatives like displaying parts prices & service costs on website are steps in the right direction.

There is one basic difference. Resale. Innova kills the Endeavor and just about every other vehicle for that matter in this regard. Resale value is a major part of the Innova's appeal and keeps the total cost of ownership very much in check, despite the inflated sticker price.

These are all expensive cars, well above 20L. The difference in resale will not be of a lakh rupees or so, like it is in the lower segments. It will me much more. People pay of the Innova because they know it will pay you back.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 19th May 2016 at 23:40.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 00:29   #668
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
There is one basic difference. Resale.
Indeed thats a difference. But the new Endeavour which is a pretty accomplished vehicle, will command good resale too. Maybe not as much as the Innova but should be ok. Also factor in higher appeal, superior drivability & from an enthusiasts perspective, Endy wins. The SUV-MUV difference shall always remain.

Btw was unable to find features & specs of the "made to order" G variant. Anyone knows what it lacks from the GX variant ?
Old 20th May 2016, 07:20   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post

Wendy is a great vehicle but for a different audience. If one is in the market to buy a people mover, then Endy is not a competition. Getting in and out of Endy for aged folks is an ordeal. You have to step on the side rail and then hop in. It's very awkward. For most buyers, Endy or Innova is likely not the only vehicle in the household so maybe the point is moot but I would not want to put my parents through the ingress ordeal with Endy.

In terms of pricing, top end 3.2 Titanium is 6-7 lacs expensive than top end Innova - not sure we can call it striking zone. Variant and engine structures are similar.

Endy and Innova both have two engine options. Within those engine options, there are multiple variants. In that sense, 2.8 ZX AT in Innova world would be price compared with 3.2 Titanium of Endeavour and price difference is not negligible.
t2k4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 07:32   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
There is one basic difference. Resale. Innova kills the Endeavor and just about every other vehicle for that matter in this regard. Resale value is a major part of the Innova's appeal and keeps the total cost of ownership very much in check, despite the inflated sticker price.
Repeating myself, but do not expect resale prices of the Innova Crysta, to mirror the incredible resale value of the outgoing Innova. The simple reason being, the outgoing Innova was launched at a much lower price and the prices kept going up steadily over the last decade, which resulted in incredible resale prices for existing owners.

The Innova Crysta, has already been priced at almost the highest end of the spectrum and not much price increase should be expected. Resale value will be great (no doubt), but do not expect the same (and even more for the ZX Auto) as has happened with the outgoing Innova.
sachinayak is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 08:27   #671
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
The Innova Crysta, has already been priced at almost the highest end of the spectrum and not much price increase should be expected.
With 60% of the bookings coming in for the top-spec ZX AT variant, its time we put this 'overpriced' argument to rest. Price of any product in a capitalist economy depends on the market demand and clearly Innova has demand even at these prices.

If the sales continue like this for a few more months, expect price hikes.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 08:35   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
With 60% of the bookings coming in for the top-spec ZX AT variant, its time we put this 'overpriced' argument to rest. Price of any product in a capitalist economy depends on the market demand and clearly Innova has demand even at these prices.

If the sales continue like this for a few more months, expect price hikes.
Well said.

The price is what it is and people are willing to pay.

The car is at par now with SUV's twice the price. I think people just realised how much bang for their buck they are getting.

I was in the market for a 15 lac car just six months ago and here I am having spent ten lacs extra but what I get is worth it.

I was close to booking the Q3 at one time but seeing this I actually saved money.

60% of the bookings being the top end AT says a lot about how this vehicle has been accepted. Resale will continue to be ridiculous for this vehicle.

And I am saying this once again. Expect price hikes very soon.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 09:04   #673
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post
Wendy is a great vehicle but for a different audience. If one is in the market to buy a people mover, then Endy is not a competition. Getting in and out of Endy for aged folks is an ordeal.
In terms of pricing, top end 3.2 Titanium is 6-7 lacs expensive than top end Innova - not sure we can call it striking zone.
Endy and Innova both have two engine options. Within those engine options, there are multiple variants. In that sense, 2.8 ZX AT in Innova world would be price compared with 3.2 Titanium of Endeavour and price difference is not negligible.
There's no contesting the fact that Crysta is the best people mover.Period. But not all are buying this for moving people, I've seen nuclear families buy Innova, either because their neighbours or friends got, or perhaps some run out of options & buy a reliable Toyota just for the heck. So for those consumers whose main purpose is not people moving, now have other very competitive options out there to try.

Crysta range starts from 14L & goes all the way to 24, this is almost 10L difference across variants. Endy range starts from about 25L & goes well beyond 30. Since both are different vehicles, one being a people mover & other an SUV, I'd say Toyota has overpriced Cyrsta considerably. on the whole Endy seems more car per car compared to Crysta. So this is the closest one could get in terms of pricing, just a Lakh or so difference, Variants viz features is just a jargon one has to crack, there are plenty of things to consider than mere features. That said Endy is not sparce on features, Engines difference is again according to ones own needs, if someone wants a 4x4, then better look towards the 3.2L, otherwise the 2.2 should suffice well.
Old 20th May 2016, 10:02   #674
BHPian

I have been looking to purchase a MPV/SUV for quite a while now in the 25 lakh price range and was actually waiting for all new Fortuner. I had a look at new Endeavour and Innova Crysta recently, and finally booked Innova Crysta 2.8 AT.

My requirements are pretty straightforward - wanted a nice looking "big" vehicle with a mix of power, safety, reliability, reasonable maintenance cost, comfort and niggle free ownership. I am pretty sure that my ownership is not going to involve any off-roading and even if it does it is going to be just 1% of overall usage. I could shortlist just 3 vehicles namely New Innova, New Endeavour and New Fortuner based on my requirements. I had to drop new Fortuner as it is going to be more pricey (30+ lakhs) and I read some reports saying that the ride is still a bit bumpy.

While I really like the exterior looks of the new Endeavour, I had to decide against it because
- its 2.2 engine is more suitable for more relaxed usage and isn't suitable for spirited highway driving. Since I am using a Linea TJet, I wanted a powerful vehicle and Endeavour 3.2 is my only option. I am a firm believer that we need a powerful car on Indian roads to stay safe - especially when you are not a very sedate driver. The problem with 3.2 engine is its poor fuel efficiency and I need to stretch my budget by 10 more lakhs. Also, I am concerned if 3.2's resale will take a hit because of its low fuel efficiency.
- it is missing some basic features like tumbling middle row seats and steering is not adjustable for reach
- it still has a firmer ride IMO
- reported issues like engine revving, but vehicle not accelerating which is a pretty scary thing to happen on an expressway
Old 20th May 2016, 11:06   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
With 60% of the bookings coming in for the top-spec ZX AT variant, its time we put this 'overpriced' argument to rest.
Never said the Innova Crysta is 'overpriced'. It just has little wiggle space on top to increase prices (unlike the outgoing Innova). If the vehicle sells well, and Toyota inches the prices higher then potential buyers will have a wider range of vehicles to choose from.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed