Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2016, 12:48   #91

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

The quality of this review and the comfort factor added to an already superb car just makes me go wow.
IMO, rear styling is just a bit tacky with those chrome bits whereas the front has improved vastly. Engine and interiors are where the real upgrade is though. I am actually trying to convince a colleague to go for the Innova and cancel his booking of Superb, just sent him the link to this thread
Old 13th February 2016, 15:42   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
With risk of getting brickbats, I would say we have too many fanboys on this thread ....
Toyota fan boys?! I could recollect only one! This product definitely is not in the list of private buyers on the forum. I think I have seen a max of 3-4 ownership reports of Innova as a whole, while it manages to sell around ~3500 units / month for the last 10 years?

Quote:
...For the same price, People can get Two Ertigas or One Lodgy + One Ertiga (Lodgy for personal use and Ertiga for leasing that as Taxi to take care of resale haircut/higher maintenance costs of Lodgy)......
At this point of time, when these products still cost MUCH lower than Innova, the sales figures are nothing great, for everything other than Ertiga!! So it's amply clear that "affordability" is not everything in this segment.

Quote:
...If Toyota decides to sell both current version and Crysta together, the volume numbers will come from current version and Crysta will cater only to fanboys market...
I would rather term them "private buyers" rather than fanboys! And I don't mind it either. Atleast, Crysta will have the appeal for the private segment with all the features present.

Quote:
...As a collective forum, we should try to alter Toyota's approach towards providing a fully loaded international product at a fair price and not milk our market by providing a bare bones product at a steep price. Lets not give an impression to Toyota that we are ok with them pricing Crysta at whatever price they want with lesser features as they want.
Do you seriously think the pricing team takes input from the forum?! If so, we wouldn't have had the pricing disasters like Creta / S-Cross. Almost all the bhp'ians have been vocal about the atrocious pricing of current Innova - did you see Toyota correcting the prices anytime in the last 5+ years?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th February 2016 at 15:44.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 16:07   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This product definitely is not in the list of private buyers on the forum. I think I have seen a max of 3-4 ownership reports of Innova as a whole, while it manages to sell around ~3500 units / month for the last 10 years?
Agreed with all your points.

Why there are not many ownership reports here are partly due to the fact that there is not much to write. Innova ownership is pretty much uneventful. Buy it, use it, sell it and buy the next one is the routine here.

I were a reluctant buyer too at first, unsure about buying a van, but since my first purchase, bought one in every generation, one after the other except for the latest one. I even had a Fortuner briefly, but when used side by side with the Innova, the latter made much more sense in every way. Now I have a 3 year old example, and I would have replaced it earlier, but spyshots and reports on the new variant prevented me from that. My patience almost wore out when the car did not get here last festive season, but I could not find anything to replace it with.

So finally, it is now time for the Crysta, and I am happy that an Auto is finally coming and that too with that big 2.8L Diesel with loads and loads of torque! Hope Toyota people do not make me wait another 4- 5 months due to high demand and long waiting lists.
Yeldo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 21:15   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Why there are not many ownership reports here are partly due to the fact that there is not much to write. Innova ownership is pretty much uneventful. Buy it, use it, sell it and buy the next one is the routine here.
I agree with this. I have used two Innovas till date, and though both were heavy use cars they were just that practical reliable means of going from one place to other, they remained stock till they were sold.
One was sold at 1,90,000 km, and other than routene service had only two sets of tyres, two sets of front brake pads, and timing belt replaced at recommended 1,50,000 km. The second had an accident and after repair was sold within an year at 1,64,000 km. The buyer of this car was our driver who re registered as a taxi and used upto 4,50,000 km.
other than extreme reliablity, capablity of huge continuous mile munching in higher two digit figures, low cost of service, there is nothing to discuss.
Innova is a practical car which every heavy user has in his fleet the most used car in the family, but no ones favourite or personal car, so no one among us actually bothers to write the report.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 12:21   #95
Senior - BHPian

ASEAN NCAP has published the crash test results of the all-new Toyota Innova (Innova Crysta in India). The tests have shown that the MPV scores the full 5-stars when equipped with ESC.

Link to Team-BHP news article
Tushar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 04:44   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
ASEAN NCAP has published the crash test results of the all-new Toyota Innova (Innova Crysta in India). The tests have shown that the MPV scores the full 5-stars when equipped with ESC.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Front end of crysta resembles highlander SUV sold in US markets.

http://www.toyota.com/highlander/2016
Old 17th February 2016, 09:37   #97
BHPian

Friends any news about the Innova Crysta launch in India? When will the pre launch booking start?
Old 17th February 2016, 10:39   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a wine colored Innova Crysta doing rounds near Ramanagaram with RED TC Plates. It was on the opposite side and could not take any pics. The front end with all the chrome and bulging headlamps are eye catchy. Color looked nice too.
Old 17th February 2016, 10:55   #99
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2016 at 07:59.
Akib Khan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th February 2016, 09:32   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
I agree with this. I have used two Innovas till date, and though both were heavy use cars they were just that practical reliable means of going from one place to other, they remained stock till they were sold.
One was sold at 1,90,000 km, and other than routene service had only two sets of tyres, two sets of front brake pads, and timing belt replaced at recommended 1,50,000 km. The second had an accident and after repair was sold within an year at 1,64,000 km. The buyer of this car was our driver who re registered as a taxi and used upto 4,50,000 km.
other than extreme reliablity, capablity of huge continuous mile munching in higher two digit figures, low cost of service, there is nothing to discuss.
Innova is a practical car which every heavy user has in his fleet the most used car in the family, but no ones favourite or personal car, so no one among us actually bothers to write the report.

Rahul
Very aptly summarized Rahul. A person who purchases the Innova hardly ever buys it to keep it in his garage and just drool at it. Innova is meant to be always on road and running. Now Innova owners, who themselves drive the car would hardly ever find any time to pen down their ownership report, because majority of the times they would be behind the wheel . May be I was one of the exceptions. In the brief one year ownership of a pre-worshipped Innova, which I ran for 18K kms, I have an ownership thread running into 30+ pages, albiet for the wrong reasons
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 10:18   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Now Innova owners, who themselves drive the car would hardly ever find any time to pen down their ownership report, because majority of the times they would be behind the wheel
Are you saying that all such who drive Innova are taxi drivers? Or Innova is such a drivers' car that if you start it, you will keep on driving?

Imo, Innova owners are not enthusiasts. That's why not much ownership reports in this forum.
Old 18th February 2016, 11:28   #102
BHPian

A bit late to this thread, but I'm very happy to see a new Innova arrive for the Indian market. I've been following Toyota India very closely for the past few months as my family is needing a somewhat large MPV for daily use and the new Crysta is ticking off almost all the right boxes.

The previous gen Innova is easily one of my favorite cars to ride around in India. I'm fairly accustomed to the smooth ride it offered especially around the regional Uttar Pradesh roads where my family is based around. The captain seats are easily my favorite part of the Innova. Regretfully, I have never gotten the opportunity to drive one as we mostly use taxis!

I would like to know one thing however. Why is there a lack of four wheel disc brakes? I thought that at least with this brand new model and this being the year 2016, this would be a standard safety feature. Even the (larger and much heavier) Toyota Fortuner makes do with drum brakes in the rear. I realize Indian roads (at least in the North) may not allow for high speed driving but even so, would it not be much more safer for vehicles to have more powerful disc brakes as standard equipment? Safety for my family is of paramount importance and I am very disappointed that the Crysta still does not have disc brakes. Perhaps when the eventual facelift arrives they might end up offering it, but by then it will be much too late.

I've noticed the lack of four wheel disc brakes is recurring trend across SUVs in India. Immediately, vehicles like the Hyundai Creta, Renault Duster, and the aforementioned Toyota Fortuner come to mind. Is this simply due to cost cutting or is there another more profound reason? Forgive me if this has already been asked before, I live abroad and am not familiar with vehicle norms of India.
Old 18th February 2016, 13:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Are you saying that all such who drive Innova are taxi drivers? Or Innova is such a drivers' car that if you start it, you will keep on driving?
As a enthusiast I had modified and upgrade my dad's Premier padmini, Contessa and mahindra Jeep's, my own Esteem, Ikon etc. But Innova was a primary work horse of the family and not a car that I was enthusiastic about.
And yes the posture is such, that a non stop Pune Bangalore 850 km, or Pune Ahmedabad 620 km was viable and a done thing, and not tiring at all. As long as you drive in the range between 60 to 95 you remain comfortable and can keep driving all day.
In contrast I've touched much higher speeds in my Polo, whenever I see a few km clear stretch, but more than 3 Hrs crouched and stretching your hands at the wheel is absolutely tiring.
Innova is more a business accessory for some one travelling long distances for work.

Rahul

Last edited by Zappo : 18th February 2016 at 15:26. Reason: We don't support high speed driving on public roads and highways and suggest caution while driving. Speed references removed.
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:24   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
This might not be a vehicle that is going to come to India. The crysta shown @ EXPO did not have ESC I guess. Some sites are reporting that the Crysta which was tested was an Indonesian vehicle. If I am not wrong, we have not had any Indian vechile in A/B/C/D1/Utility Vehicle segments which has got 5 star ratings!! Someone please correct me if I am wrong!!
Old 18th February 2016, 14:37   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

Imo, Innova owners are not enthusiasts. That's why not much ownership reports in this forum.
A blank statement, if you were to find one!

So, if you are an enthusiast and also want to drive with the family - you still insist on having 2 Punto Abarths so that the family can move together?

I am a car enthusiast and I mostly drive the Innova and I simply love driving it. I love it so much that I have driven 112983 kms in the 42 months, I have owned it. By the way, if you love handling - Innova is a better handling automobile than almost half the cars in our market. And in my opinion you should be more of an enthusiast if caught driving an Innova than any 4X2 Safari, Storme, Scorpio, Fortuner, XUV etc.

I haven't got the time to pen an ownership review a) because I am busy driving b) what do I report? - the car as is as it is the first day I drove it. I do maintain a log of service expenses. You would get bored with that too, because the service costs repeat themselves in intervals.
rrsteer is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed