Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:40   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

I feel GX is still within reach of some private single taxi owners. And shudder to think the mayhem they will unleash on the roads with those horses in the car. Already, one should see the speed in which some Innovas and the likes do the airport runs from Punjab to Delhi on the NH-1.

This maybe the most powerful car a lot of taxi owners are going to lay their hands on. That is a very sobering thought for me.
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:46   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
By that logic why buy any upper segment car, 90% of the task can be be done by buying a lower segment car. A person who has done an over 300km ride in a day in both Innova and Ertiga, will immediately tell you why people pay extra for Innova.
Yes you are right, person travelling in 3rd row seat of Innova and Ertiga will say that both are not that good for 300 Kms

I know Innova is bigger than Ertiga, they are in different class all together, right? So it is obvious that it will do better, it has to. Point is if someone wants to invest minimum and still want to have 5+2 option in case needed, he can go with Ertiga which is more car like & easy to use in City. Innova is better on highway as it has bigger engine and better ride for long runs.

Just wanted to say here is Innova is overpriced for sure, 15+ lacs for basic model which don't have many features is bad for customer.
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:04   #408
BHPian

Good to see Toyota offer 3 airbags and ABS as standard. The addition of curtain airbags and ESP in the top model makes it a particularly safe car.
One extremely significant point remains that when one goes ahead and buys a Toyota, he is certain that his family is in a safe car. Toyota has demonstrated this with their commitment to safety by getting even their base cars, i.e the Liva twins which are manufactured in India to pass the GNCAP tests with flying colors.

Considering that the Innova scored a full 5 stars (ESC equipped) in the ASEAN NCAP, one can expect a similar or in fact the same performance in the India made vehicles. As a people mover, this is one extremely crucial aspect to consider and I applaud Toyota's commitment to safety. Companies like Hyundai and Maruti need to learn their lessons, seriously.

Getting the top of the line Z variant, 2.4 litre with manual transmission seems to make maximum sense. Has all the bells and whistles, is extremely safe, reliable and comfortable. This car seems to have the Skoda Superb beat when it comes to being a Chauffeur driven vehicle, especially with those captain seats. Wouldn't have given this compliment to the previous generation on count of its crudeness.

Book your cars up early people, cause this car's gonna have a waiting period soon!

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 3rd May 2016 at 22:06.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:09   #409
BHPian

Prices at Chennai
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462292924.056752.jpg

Kudos to Harsha Toyota, Guindy Showroom, Chennai. I could see all colours in flesh, the showroom was only stationed with Crystas. Rest all cars were parked in the parking lot. The color "Avant-Garde bronze" is actually a dull "Champagne good Metallic" IMHO. I did not like it. Pearl white color was not displayed. And for those who booked today with an advance is sure to get delivery at the launch date of 13th May at ITC Grand Chola Hotel at Chennai. Advance booking amount is One lakh Rupees, and I did not book it today, as I am waiting for No-Moon day (Friday). This dealer had already got 150 confirmed bookings as per the SA, while the other dealer Lanson Toyota's SA confirmed 650 bookings and two month waiting time. I was extremely satisfied with the way Crysta looked and I know it's priced steeply. But I am going for ONE!!!
narchennai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:12   #410
BHPian

One sore point I found with the exterior design, is that the body panel just outside any window is prone to accumulate lot of dust and grime and will easily be prone to scratches during routine cleaning of the Crysta. And as days go this will be an eyesore.

Last edited by narchennai : 3rd May 2016 at 22:23. Reason: Adding information
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:15   #411
BHPian

Checked out the new innova at Wasan Navi Mumbai. None from my family mom dad wify n kido like the car. The first question my kid asked was where do i sit ? Final nail in the coffin ! Cancelled my booking .. wait for the endy begins..

I had the following observation:
1. Its good for a chauffeur driven.
2. Not good for families like me with a kid and parents.
3. Having owned the previous innova the rear seats are more comfortable and spacious.
architkarpe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:32   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Although the Gx variant looks spartan, it makes much more sense for cost conscious people. Buying a Toyota is some sort of an investment ...
My new neighbor has a similar situation. His is a '11 model though. They have 4 Pre-2012 Innova's in their extended family. The cars are abit loud, but their trust in Toyota A.S.S. & car is the very reason I'm not going bonkers reading these prices.

If this was 6 months back, I'd have vehemently disapproved all Toyota's efforts. All the more appalled with the lack of HU in the GX variant.

IMO believe they should've atleast put in a basic head unit (GX already has 4 speakers) instead of leaving a blank. Pics reminded me of the base variant Honda City!

After 5 years of owning a car, rather than a music system, one (mostly) gets happier with the performance (on tap) & reliability. Electronics often simply increase the cost of upkeep post warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
...I know Innova is bigger than Ertiga, they are in different class all together, right? So it is obvious that it will do better, it has to. Point is if someone wants to invest minimum and still want to have 5+2 option in case needed, he can go with Ertiga which is more car like & easy to use in City...
TBH, not really. They're different cars catering to dissimilar needs. Even in the case of Hexa/Duster/XUV. And Ertiga diesel has a very very tricky turbo surge at 2000RPM, not very fair to claim it's suitable mainly for city traffic commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
...A 2.4 Auto on the GX and VX would have made more sense. Keep the premium engine for the ZX only.
Or, atleast the 2.4 AT as an additional option in GX & VX, for those who're buying it mainly for the reliable mechanicals, sans features. Anyway, now quite surely it's not possible.

All eyes on the Hexa now. Atleast I'll be looking there for commitment of long term reliability (warranty & AMC). Even if the pricing strategy isn't be like Tiago (aggressive).

C'mon Tata, the gap has been made, do your magic & strike the goal!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 3rd May 2016 at 22:35.
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:49   #413
BHPian

Has anyone seen GX version in person? I am inclined to go for it as VX/ZX are way out of my budget.

I only hoped that they provided decent interior from VX in it. I can get music system fitted outside but wood insert and soft touch material in doorpad are not possible to get it done after.

OT : Anyone looking for Renault Lodgy, this is the time. Surat dealer is offering 0% finance and free insurance.
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:58   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
Checked out the new innova at Wasan Navi Mumbai. None from my family mom dad wify n kido like the car. The first question my kid asked was where do i sit ? Final nail in the coffin ! Cancelled my booking .. wait for the endy begins..

I had the following observation:
1. Its good for a chauffeur driven.
2. Not good for families like me with a kid and parents.
3. Having owned the previous innova the rear seats are more comfortable and spacious.
Sorry I didn't understand your post. How is Endy going to be more spacious or comfortable to seat your kids and parents?
Old 3rd May 2016, 23:09   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Sorry I didn't understand your post. How is Endy going to be more spacious or comfortable to seat your kids and parents?
As i had mentioned in my earlier post i need a car for our farmhouse trips.
My mother wife n kid occupy the middle row. The zx has captain seating so one othe three has to occupy the third row so we loose valuable luggage space.

I am considering an endy only because of the size and features offered as compared to other vehicles in the market. The titanium offers a lot of additional features at a compititive price.9.5 lac more i know its a lot of money but all good things come with a price
Old 3rd May 2016, 23:35   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaldhami View Post
Has anyone seen GX version in person? I am inclined to go for it as VX/ZX are way out of my budget.

I only hoped that they provided decent interior from VX in it. I can get music system fitted outside but wood insert and soft touch material in doorpad are not possible to get it done after.

OT : Anyone looking for Renault Lodgy, this is the time. Surat dealer is offering 0% finance and free insurance.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3965129

Posted by honey___starhoney.

Yes, if you are ready to install or want to install music system aftermarket, then the GX has all the basic features one will need.

But one will feel a bit shortchanged seeing the interiors of GX after seeing the VX and ZX. For me, utility and performance is more important, but it could be different for others.

So, to answer your question.
The GX doesn't have the fabric insert on the door pads, the glossy piano finsh and wooden trims on the dash are replaced by a sad looking plastic and the centre armrest/console is hard plastic, not soft touch.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 01:29   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
As i had mentioned in my earlier post i need a car for our farmhouse trips.
My mother wife n kid occupy the middle row. The zx has captain seating so one othe three has to occupy the third row so we loose valuable luggage space.

I am considering an endy only because of the size and features offered as compared to other vehicles in the market. The titanium offers a lot of additional features at a compititive price.9.5 lac more i know its a lot of money but all good things come with a price
Ah interesting point, so if Toyota had offered the ZX AT variant in 8 seater configuration, would you have gone for it?

Endy is in a different league in terms of equipment and plastic quality, no doubt. But ingress / egress is not that great in Endy, more over the middle row seats won't tumble like the Innova.

Have you checked the Endy in person, if yes, please share your thoughts on the space on offer, seating comfort etc against Innova.
Old 4th May 2016, 08:40   #418
BHPian

The top end 2.8 ZX (AT) is a whopping 26.39 lakhs!! on road in Bangalore. I am sure despite the pricing, the Crysta will still sell like hot cakes.

Check this out, here's a price list of Toyota Crysta from VIVA Toyota...
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-price-list-toyota-crysta.jpg  

krivbel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 09:25   #419
Senior - BHPian

Wow, I thought ACC was standard across all variants. If small hatchbacks like swift can give ACC, toyota cant give it at this steep price ? Those manual controls are looking pathetic on top of the dash.
We are used to seeing them perpendicular to the dash.

Last edited by F150 : 4th May 2016 at 09:27.
Old 4th May 2016, 10:06   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Wow, I thought ACC was standard across all variants. If small hatchbacks like swift can give ACC, toyota cant give it at this steep price ? Those manual controls are looking pathetic on top of the dash.
We are used to seeing them perpendicular to the dash.
Isn't it an industry standard that is being done to differentiate various variants. Its not like all the Swift variants got the ACC.

VX variant of the Innova had an increase of 6.xx lakhs within the last six years.
But the current version is offering better equipments. Just compare the old Innova with the new one, it looks dull in comparison to the new one.

I think Toyota cannot keep on jacking up the price like what it has done with the older variant. In order to compact inflation, definitely there should be an increase.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed