Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2016, 14:54   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
...my concern with TATA has always been their engines, having read many issues (Timing belt giving up at 30k kms, HVAC issues, turbo issues, etc) on this very same forum...
Automatics have never excited me, always a manual.
Hexa has varicor 400 engine and the same used in Storme has 150000 kms of life for timing belt. There are reports of faulty temperature control in manual HVAC of Storme and I believe they will sort it out before January. I have not read any issue in turbo of this engine so I assume there won't be any in Hexa as well.

Hexa automatic gear box might be better than the manual if we go with initial impression from media drive. I also think that automatics are boring but my left arm and leg do not agree with me at all.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:12   #1517
BHPian

When comparing XT and the XTA variants, I noticed the absence of TCS, ESP, Hill Descent Control and Hydraulic Brake Assist in the automatic. I wonder if its because they wanted to narrow down the price gap or if the product was not ready in time for the launch. While the 7 seat configuration (A lost opportunity) may be added at the dealer level on request, these safety nets cannot.

Further, you lose out on Super Drive Modes as well (I wonder how often that or the Race Car mode will be used but its definitely a segment first to show off) so at least in terms of VFM, the XT wins over the XTA? Hope the XTA is priced at level or not priced at a significant premium over the XT and that the XT 4x4 remains the priciest of the lot

While I am cribbing about such issues, I can't help but feel proud of Tata who've come a long way and are now churning out well rounded quality vehicles. I've gone from asking people to avoid them to urging them to take a good look at what they have to offer (Since the Zest). I definitely hope the Hexa succeeds and that there's more to come
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:16   #1518
BHPian

I have not yet been able to book hexa in Gurugram. I see members from Hyderabad, Chennai and Bangalore booking the Hexa.

If somebody can help on the following it would be great:
1. Knowledge on Tata Dealers who are taking bookings in Gurugram
2. I have planned XT 4x2. I don't need a 4x4. Would have preferred the auto box but the 6 seater is a deal breaker. Can the price be expected to be a 16-17L on road for XT 4x2 or am I day dreaming.
3. A very subjective question is Tata ASS better than that of Renault, VW and Skoda?

Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2016, 16:24   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
I have not yet been able to book hexa in Gurugram. I see members from Hyderabad, Chennai and Bangalore booking the Hexa.

Thanks.
Concorde South Ex will start the booking from tomorrow.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 16:43   #1520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
Has there been a crash test of Tata Hexa? I searched Youtube but couldn't find any videos. Does Tata submit all their cars for crash test? On paper, Hexa looks better than all other 3-row SUV/MPV offerings in India. If it does well on the crash test, I would consider buying one.
This should ease your concerns -

SmartCat is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:30   #1521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post

2. I have planned XT 4x2. I don't need a 4x4. Would have preferred the auto box but the 6 seater is a deal breaker. Can the price be expected to be a 16-17L on road for XT 4x2 or am I day dreaming.
3. A very subjective question is Tata ASS better than that of Renault, VW and Skoda?

Thanks.
The only authorized dealer for Hexa in Gurgaon is ANR automobiles, plot 90 IDC Gurgaon - this is the address I got from them when I asked where I could see and test drive the vehicle in Gurgaon. Test drives will be available after 15th Nov.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 19:36   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
From posts I think certain cars have to reach certain rpm to generate certain Nm(?) to get it moving and then after certain rpm it loses it grunt and then you need to downshift?
Since both the torque curve, and turbo lag affect drivability, was wondering
a) why one is being discussed, and not the other
b) relationship, if any, between the two.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:36   #1523
Senior - BHPian

I don't see one may need to be concerned about niggles in newly launched Tatas. I say this because I have not seen many complaints about Zest / Bolt/ Tiago. May be, it's too early to talk about Tiago but enough time has elapsed since the launch of Zest for any problems to be reported. All in all, a niggle free car is more probable.
Old 2nd November 2016, 21:32   #1524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To all those who are booking, please ensure that your receipt explicitly mentions 'full refund' in case of a price shocker & subsequent cancellation.
This somehow makes me believe that admins probably have insider info on pricing and what they heard is not very pleasant.

I seriously do not want another pricing disaster from Tata. They better study at what price the XUV500 was launched and at what price they are selling it now.
DieselAddikt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 22:14   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Agree, higher maintenance cost is a valid concern for those looking for people mover. IMO, Tata already has the answer for your concerns - the two lower trims.

It is a common practice that the highest variant is reserved for supposedly niche and conveniance oriented features and as you can imagine, this comes at a cost. Besides, people who go for the top variant also have different priorities. For e.g they might prefer captain seats instead of bench seats.

Bottomline is, there are finite number of packages and you have to choose one of them. This is the reality with any brand of cars in India, unfortunately.

Interestingly, few pages back, someone was up in arms that the lower variants didnt have cruise control.
Important difference is most of the other niche features comes at a one time sunk cost that can be financed as against high recurring cost that too prone to failure.
One may even mentally/financially prepare for periodic replacement, but tyres (that too with lower profile) can fail any time due to bad roads. Hence from a psychological stand point, it will be little more unnerving than the actual situation may warrant.

This is what GTO has to say in crysta review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
While the 17" size looks really neat, personally, I'd prefer 15 or 16 inch wheels on an MPV. Reason = taller sidewall = superior ride quality + wheel is less prone to damage on broken roads. Even with the Innova Crysta, the lower variant should be riding noticeably better than the top-end, thanks to an enhanced sidewall height of 15 mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Big 17" rims with lower profile tyres is just bad news for a people mover, no matter how luxurious its positioning is.
Unless TAMO comes up with a comprehensive maintenance plan covering tyres or able to provide specially developed MRF at a lower price, it may turn out to be a deterrent for some to opt for some.

Or, given the knowledge of average car buyer, he/she may not even be aware of ballpark they may have to shell out for the tyres and may be in for rude shock while replacing them.

Honestly, I came to know about it because of the posts regarding the same here.
tifosikrishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 23:27   #1526
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
This somehow makes me believe that admins probably have insider info on pricing and what they heard is not very pleasant.
Honestly, no insider info. Just memories of the Aria's pricing debacle make me concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
This is what GTO has to say in crysta review
Also important to mention that (as reported by owners in the Innova thread) Toyota is ditching the top variants 17" rims for 16s. Some owners have already been told they'll be getting 16 inchers.

For India, smaller wheels + tall sidewalls absolutely rock. The only advantage of a big wheel on a regular car is in the aesthetics department; in everything else (cost, ride quality, robustness), it's a BIG FAIL.

You don't get a wide choice of tyres either. Ask me, I just got new tyres for my 18 inchers.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 23:49   #1527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Agree, higher maintenance cost is a valid concern for those looking for people mover. IMO, Tata already has the answer for your concerns - the two lower trims.

It is a common practice that the highest variant is reserved for supposedly niche and conveniance oriented features and as you can imagine, this comes at a cost. Besides, people who go for the top variant also have different priorities. For e.g they might prefer captain seats instead of bench seats.

I'm not really sure what you mean. Since when did maintenance cost get associated with the variant being selected? At least below 20 odd lakhs, the top end is a one time investment and that's about it.

That's why I concur with people here who are concerned about the cost of tires. And if the lord almighty Innova itself is having issues with 17 inchers, frankly it would be a bit silly on Tata's part to not do something about it proactively, considering the Hexa weighs a few tons more too.
Old 3rd November 2016, 07:35   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
considering the Hexa weighs a few tons more too.
I think you mean a few 100 kilos more.

A ton is cricket is 100 runs, a ton in weight is 1000 kgs!!
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:30   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverabhi View Post
Tata has got their crash test facility in-house. We got a chance to visit it personally when we had gone for an event at the time of launch of Bolt. I am sure they would have conducted crash tests for Hexa as well. But they may not disclose those videos to any public forum.

If you are looking for the crash test report from NCAP organizations, we may need to wait for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This should ease your concerns -

Thank you driverabhi and smartcat. This allays my concerns. I'll do some more research about Tata's safety testing and will consider booking one.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd November 2016 at 10:08. Reason: removed embedded video. Thanks.
Tron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:11   #1530
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors was the first and only car manufacturer in India who had setup in-house crash testing facilities decades back. In fact, as far as I am aware, it's still the only OEM in India to have its own crash testing centre, not outsourced. Over the years, I believe, the crash test centre has been thoroughly upgraded and aligned to handle the latest tests as dictated by Euro homologation norms.
Few people may know about it, but the old Indica, that is what we know now as Indica V2, had undergone a full crash, as per the then prevailing Euro norms, before it was launched in 1998 in India.
arjab is offline   (20) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks