Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2016, 19:41   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I am told that the Hexa is fully ready for launch with the 2.2L heart since April.

Maybe this is the reason why they postponed the launch and proceeded to re-engineer the 2.2L, 400Nm VariCor for fresh testing in the Hexa since May 2016.

The hearing and final decision by the NGT on extending the diesel ban to 15 more cities (practically half of India) is scheduled for July, and it would be unwise to launch the 2.2L Hexa in the same month when/if the diesel ban is extended.

Could be a case of "wait, watch and decide" by Tata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Sounds a story made up to fill some news space/column inches.
But the insider information that Raven shared with us & overdrive story seem to corroborate.

With impending decision, current sales of Crysta & XuV can't be taken as yardstick as it is irrelevant.

What if court passes judgement to ban >2L diesel engines in 15 more cities next month? Since planned launch date is cutting too close the decision, management might have decided to wait & watch. Quite possible that 15 cities ( I don't know them) in the list will contribute to 90% of car sales, so it doesn't make to sense to have two engine variants, irrespective of how good 2.2 engine is.

In spite of my personal disappointment, given the unfortunate timing/situation they are in, I think it would be prudent on the part of the management to wait for the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
To all those marketing brains at TATA Motors

May 2016 Sales Numbers
Innova Crysta - 7269
Mahindra XUV - 2264

And take a next flight to Kerala and take a road trip to see the number of Innova Crysta on Kerala roads. I spotted more number of Crysta on Kerala roads than Bangalore.

Looks like Hexa has some serious issue which is holding them from launching it. These reasons and explanations do not hold water.
Doesn't make sense at all given the impending decision. How was the sales of similar >2l diesel cars in Delhi in the preceding months before the ban?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th June 2016 at 21:32. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute window to add more contents to it. Thanks!
tifosikrishna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 20:30   #317
BANNED

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

If we consider the city-wise sales figures posted here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ales-data.html, 50% of the total sales came from the top 20 cities.

i. If Tata sticks to the 2.2L engine,
ii. if we assume the distribution of Diesel models and cars having >2L are similar to other segments,
iii. if a Delhi-like ban for >2L Diesel engines spread to these cities,

then it will be loss of business of 50%. Will be a big loss, IMO.

They should definitely launch a 2L engine.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 29th June 2016 at 20:32.
Old 30th June 2016, 14:07   #318
BHPian

It will take a minimum of 1 year to drop modify the Varicor 2.2 to under 2 litres. You need new pistons, new castings which take long to develop. M&M coincidently began developing a sub 2-litre engine well before the diesel ban - methinks for some export markets. I would take the Overdrive report with a bucket load of salt. OD has no credbility any more shooting in the dark. This is the same magazine which made grand claims of a sub 4 metre Aria coming!
If Tata delays the Hexa by a few months for a sub 2-litre engine, it would have to be something off-the-shelf and not one that is being developed as that would take too much time to develop.
santosh911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 14:39   #319
BHPian

Quote:
The Supreme Court has officially announced that it might lift the currently enforced ban on sales of diesel powered cars having an engine bigger than 2,000 cc in Delhi and NCR. But in order to do so, the court's judicial bench has suggested a one-time green cess to be levied from the buyers.
Source: PTI

If the ban is lifted in Delhi-NCR region, Tata should not be worried in launching Hexa with Varicor 2.2 L engine. Also this news would mean that extension of the ban in more cities will also be halted. This should put an end to all speculations. Come on TML, launch it soon.

It would be interesting to see how much green cess will be levied from buyers. And how Tata prices Hexa accordingly.

Last edited by carbhaari : 30th June 2016 at 14:41. Reason: Grammatical correction
carbhaari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 17:05   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Hexa production variant spotted testing for the very first time. All 3 variants are in a line together, with the top variant in the middle and the mid variant in the lead.

Quote:
However, we have shots, which pretty much confirm that this new car, the white color, standing in between has a new fascia along with new DRL spotted for the first time. Projector headlights seem visible on all three cars, which could be a standard feature on all variants.
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-image.jpeg

Thrust Zone (more pictures in the source link)

Last edited by RavenAvi : 30th June 2016 at 17:11.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 20:34   #321
BHPian

They should just go ahead and launch it with the 2.2L engine and work on a <2L engine. That way they have a wider range and can have smthing with a choice of 2 engines.
studedude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 12:40   #322
Senior - BHPian

Seemingly Tata's projections for Hexa aren't high, which is holding them from introducing the under 2L engine.

Still I find it difficult to buy the argument that Hexa has been deferred due to big diesel engine ban in 2 states.
Old 1st July 2016, 18:41   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh911 View Post
It will take a minimum of 1 year to drop modify the Varicor 2.2 to under 2 litres. You need new pistons, new castings which take long to develop. M&M coincidently began developing a sub 2-litre engine well before the diesel ban - methinks for some export markets. I would take the Overdrive report with a bucket load of salt. OD has no credbility any more shooting in the dark. This is the same magazine which made grand claims of a sub 4 metre Aria coming!
If Tata delays the Hexa by a few months for a sub 2-litre engine, it would have to be something off-the-shelf and not one that is being developed as that would take too much time to develop.
Not sure how many people remember the below facts about a similar regulation being suddenly introduced, requiring a smaller engine size.

On 28th February 2006, the Government introduced the 4m length and engine size restriction (1.2L for petrol and 1.5L for diesel) for lower excise duty in the Budget.

See page 5 at this link http://indiabudget.nic.in/ub2006-07/cen/dojstru1.pdf
OR
See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post183156

At that time, as TATA's Indica V2 had 1.4L petrol (XETA) and diesel (TDI) engines, only the diesel qualified for the lower excise (24% brought down to 16%).

The 1.4L petrol XETA engine was downsized to 1.2L in then record time, and was put on sale in November 2006.

See http://www.tatamotors.com/press/tata...v2-xeta-range/
OR
See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post323729

Let's see what TATA will do this time around.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 02:14   #324
BHPian

Tata, you've gained some sales momentum with the Tiago now. Don't launch the Hexa next and spoil it. The 2.0 ltr diesel ban and the success that is Crysta, has already made the Hexa's survival difficult. Instead launch the 2 products that could be disruptive in their respective segments next. The Nexon during the festive season followed by the Kite 5. It would help you further your market share in the PV business and let the positive word of mouth around your products and improving ASS lift the Tata Motors brand value. Then around March-April, 2017 launch the Hexa. At a tempting starting price with an unbeatable warranty cum AMC package, sub 2.0 litre diesel, automatic and 2*2/2*4 options offered from the launch itself. The success of the Tiago, Nexon and Kite 5 could maybe then rub off on the Hexa and help it become the sales success it deserves to be. The delayed launch would also be hopefully time enough for Tata to develop and test their sub 2.0 ltr engine thoroughly.

Last edited by mobydick1983 : 4th July 2016 at 02:30.
mobydick1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 04:21   #325
BHPian

TATA HEXA - 360° model

& It Looks Fabulous!!
Donno how long it'll keep us Waiting..

kalleo4 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 21:47   #326
BHPian

I saw a 2 car convoy of Tata Hexas in Leh this past week. Both were wearing the usual camouflage dresses. I really hope that Tata motors is using this extended field testing to remove all the problems that spoil the Tata car ownership experience.
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 11:01   #327
BHPian

The launch date remains elusive.

While supreme court decided that they may lift the ban with a "1% green cess" as penalty, there isn't a concrete GO on this though. If at all the government wants 1% more cess, why this drama in the first place. It also is unfounded to say that diesel vehicles contribute to the pollution in the city @ Delhi.

Nice informative article that i came across - http://www.businesstoday.in/opinion/...ry/235210.html

The price of petrol & also the price of petrol cards towards diesel is getting narrowed.

There was news yesterday that Toyota is putting their further investment plans on hold. With such a speculative future, deferring the launch is quite sensible.

There is another ruling which bans vehicles over 10 years in Delhi. Will this open markets to the older LCs/ Prado's in other states??

Last edited by m3_07 : 20th July 2016 at 11:05. Reason: type
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:15   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly older videos:

Spotted on a testing run on the highway by the Gaadi team.

Running inside a city and captured by the Motor Octane team.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd July 2016 at 11:23.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:34   #329
BHPian

Sample this -

Every morning/ evening i drive across the Aadya showroon on ORR Bangalore. Since yesterday, the safari that is parked in its designated slot isn't there. Out of curiosity i called up the sales guys to check if the slot is making space for something "big".

I: I see a safari in the enterance everyday & i am not seeing it since last 2 days. Would you be getting the Hexa there??
Sales - What??
I: Hexa
Sales: Texa, kiksa??
I: take my number & please ask someone to call me back
Sales: OKI

No call yet.
m3_07 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 20:06   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Sample this -

Every morning/ evening i drive across the Aadya showroon on ORR Bangalore. Since yesterday, the safari that is parked in its designated slot isn't there. Out of curiosity i called up the sales guys to check if the slot is making space for something "big".
My morning ritual - search for news about "hexa" in google, #hexa in twitter and for update in this thread.

After long protracted wait, booked nano xta today. Was in touch with Concorde & TAFE SA in chennai regarding Nano, while at it checked about Hexa and both said since TATA is grappling to meet demand for TIAGO, new launch is unlikely before end of year. Could be coincidence or they have told to tow this line.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed