Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2016, 10:31   #511
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

I don't think one can post a magazine directly after scanning.

Hope they have found better use of the roof (Like a panaromic sunroof to take on the XUV and Endy top models).

SatNav present in the earlier Aria is missing?

Hope the screen has grown bigger in size over the last year.

Many compare this with the Endy: But only the 2.2 Endy can be compared as there is no point in comparing with the much more powerful and obviously better performing (3.2 variant).

From a certain point of view TATA does have a wider service network than Ford.

They do need the bench in the middle row. All (read most) will not like having captain seats. When I used the Aria I kept the last row down at all times and used the vehicle like a 5 seater with a large cargo bay.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 12:12   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
From what I am hearing, a 11.99L - 17.99L pricing range is being targetted.
The 1.9L variants might be in the range of 9.99L - 11.39L mark.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 12:20   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I don't think one can post a magazine directly after scanning.
+1 , There'll surely be copyright issues. Maybe if they've uploaded it online (since it's an old article) , a web link to the content would do.

Quote:
Hope they have found better use of the roof (Like a panaromic sunroof to take on the XUV and Endy top models).
+1

Quote:
SatNav present in the earlier Aria is missing?
I think the Head Unit is the same as in the Zest. IIRC it could mirror Google Maps from the phone.

Quote:
Hope the screen has grown bigger in size over the last year.
Seems it'll be the (edit) 5" screen. Abit small for an MUV this size, but anyway.

Even before they launched the Storme, people requested they change the Head Unit. But, realistically, that time has passed. Mr Slym had mentioned that such things needed more time.

Quote:
They do need the bench in the middle row. All (read most) will not like having captain seats...
Article confirmed mid row bench seat option, I think.

Quote:
When I used the Aria I kept the last row down at all times and used the vehicle like a 5 seater with a large cargo bay.
This'll be a proper 6 seater. The last row leg room has been increased (Ofcourse, the boot space left is like Ertiga's - almost inexistent, 2 'duffle-bags' may fit).

One more thing to note is, these huge 19" tyres are going to cost a bomb to change every 50k kms !

Depending on usage, (assuming 25k kms/yr), that should most probably be an overhead cost of >70 INR for just 4 tyres every 2nd or 3rd year.

Quote:
Ayyo, these may rendered as the utilitarian version. IMO The brand takes a hit when a similarly shaped car is half the price.

Product placement is going to be tricky. Hope they have good adverts this time.

Let's see.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th September 2016 at 12:39.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 15:57   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I agree - discussion need not necessarily lead to a purchase. But there is a difference between "discussions" and rebuttal of every form of criticism about Tata , dismissal of competition as being inadequate and the larger car buying population as ignorant. ( now pls don't ask me to give evidence to each of these ! This is not directed to any of your posts - but the essence of how similar threads end up being )

After having owned 3 Tata vehicles and ready for the next one, I fully recognize Tata's strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes, out of passion for a well respected Indian brand ( which I too have ) , we end up blindly forgetting the huge list of shortcomings they come to the market with.
I am neither pro nor anti hexa or watever. I think I have mentioned earlier about poor perception of tata vehicles brand image and reliability concerns.

You wrote about hexa fanboys who keep on defending hexa. It would help to notice the Innova fanboys on this thread.

For the record, I have never owned a Tata vehicle. We are looking to replace 2014 Innova with a Crysta. Hexa is now another option on the table. please don't slay me if we go ahead with the Crysta post hexa launch.
LoneWolf9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 06:08   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably targeting the cabbies. Minus the larger engine, minus the larger tyres, probably no projector lamps and revised (lower spec) interiors.

This area has a huge vacuum now after the old Innova's exit. And at this price, will really make sense too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Ayyo, these may rendered as the utilitarian version. IMO The brand takes a hit when a similarly shaped car is half the price.

Product placement is going to be tricky. Hope they have good adverts this time.

Let's see.
Just the premium version while building brand image, might not support sales. So, it makes sense for the company to look at numbers while building brand perception too. The major marketing blunder with the Aria was the high end version being launched first, whereas the lower end was too late in arrival, killing it before it even hatched. That coupled with the niggles on a premium product didn't help matters.

Considerable distinguishing features between the 1.9L and 2.2L would work in its favour while bringing in sales volumes and building brand image as well.

Like you said, product placement, pricing, advertising and proper differentiation will be the key for Hexa's success.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th September 2016 at 07:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
discoverwild is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 14:01   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
@why should TATA try to build a personal car image ? Innova is popular today because of volumes from the taxi market. Remember the lowest / cheapest E variant did not even come with a power steering !!

Go TATA, get the car popular and its worth in the market, it's ONLY volumes that is ultimately recognized by our "junta", including people out here !
Just one question, as on today, will you buy a indica vista for your personal use?
Old 6th September 2016, 15:23   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Just one question, as on today, will you buy a indica vista for your personal use?
Yes - if my requirement is a spacious runabout hatchback which can seat 5 - We brought Vista to replace our Ambassador and have not come across any other can in the segment which offers as much space as Vista does.

With the refreshed interiors and exterior, and with a different name, I will still buy Bolt today if I am in market today for the same set of requirements.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 15:49   #518
BHPian

My question was for lifebuoy but anyway, excellent for you because I am not sure how many else will.
Old 6th September 2016, 16:14   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Different manufacturers have models which are primarily gobbled up by the taxi market alone. They may have had their share of private buyers at launch time, but as time went by, majority of their sales have come in from the yellow boards.

Toyota --> Etios
Mahindra --> Logan/Verito
Tata --> Indica/Indigo

Why single out Tata Motors?
Old 6th September 2016, 16:23   #520
BANNED

Quote:
What is the relevance (if any) of this question to the popularity of the Innova amongst taxi wallahas ? They will lap up the Vista / Bolt if offered a economical package, or any other car for that matter.
Old 6th September 2016, 16:26   #521
BHPian

Wow. This thread is getting hot (with the debate).
Whether we like it or not, success for a company is based on revenue & margins. I'm sure Tata is no different. They are in the market to make a product that people want to buy and provide a service that leaves a customer happy. They are not there for anything else or anything less.

For me the Aria was a competent product, no doubt. But did many people buy it? No. For the Hexa to be successful, it will take a lot lot more than just making a competent product. It will take excellent pricing, amazing marketing, a 'wow' sales experience and last but not the least people talking of an even bigger 'wow' after sales experience. The entire eco-system will need to be cleaned and polished and presented as-new to the customer. Just making a great car is not enough.

Tata's have their job cut out. And I wish them well. I would be extremely happy to see an Indian company be a world beater in cars. They are already world beaters in many other products & services, so why not cars?

Maybe its just me but I think Tata need to consider a new brand / brand makeover for their top end cars. Something that Toyota did with Lexus; or at least in a simpler way what Maruti did with Nexa. The customer who buys a 2 million rupees car surely expects a different experience.

Anyways, for me the most important question at this point is simply this: Will the Hexa top end variant come with AT+AWD.
Old 6th September 2016, 16:30   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Someone like me will not buy an Innova even if its the most reliable product on earth. That's because reliability may not be the only thing I am looking at in my car. And towards the end of the old Innova's life cycle, people were not keen to buy an Innova with reasons such as it's price, aging design, reliable and yet, outdated engine, low FE, taxi image, etc. Like Anoop said, if it meets your requirement, you just buy it.

Off late, I have been seeing yellow plates on every other car model available in India. Name any model and if it has a diesel version, then yes I have seen it on yellow plates (well, almost 90% of all).
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 17:47   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Different manufacturers have models which are primarily gobbled up by the taxi market alone. They may have had their share of private buyers at launch time, but as time went by, majority of their sales have come in from the yellow boards.

Toyota --> Etios
Mahindra --> Logan/Verito
Tata --> Indica/Indigo

Why single out Tata Motors?
Have already made this point in one of my previous posts (maybe you can read them again if not already done) but you fail to notice I have no where branded TATA motors as a taxi company and will never do it either.

Quote:
What is the relevance (if any) of this question to the popularity of the Innova amongst taxi wallahas ? They will lap up the Vista / Bolt if offered a economical package, or any other car for that matter.
Why should I be concerned about the popularity of innova with Taxi walas? You made the point and you should be more worried about it. They already are lapping up the vista like its a limited edition. So thats pretty much out of the window.

Again there seems to be too much of reading being the lines leading to drawing incorrect conclusions and related jumping of the gun without realising what is being said. I was trying to just say that TATA motors should position/market/constrain hexa differently "if they want to save it from a taxi image" but here the point seems to be more on raking numbers than anything else. Its not about an innova or a vista or an etios or the popularity of any car with fleet owners. Its precisely TATA motors and the Hexa and nothing more. The taxi vs commercial debate is an never ending one. Rest my case here and request to be left out of the "taxi" discussion. Appreciate the views put forth.

TIA

Last edited by centaur : 6th September 2016 at 17:50.
Old 6th September 2016, 17:52   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Innova is popular today because of volumes from the taxi market.
Not anymore ! 95% of Innova Crysta customers are personal buyers. Forget about the past, Hexa will be competing (trying to compete ?) with the Crysta, so the current statistics matters.

"Speaking to Financial Express, Mr. N Raja, senior vice-president & director of Marketing & Sales, Toyota Kirloskar Motor, has divulged that 50 percent of Toyota Innova Crysta buyers opted for the 2.8L AT variant, while 95% of its customers are personal buyers "

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/08/t...-for-at-239938

Last edited by LionX : 6th September 2016 at 17:59. Reason: typo
LionX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 19:46   #525
BHPian

Just came across this article

Maruti has been a great value creator, but Tata Motors to drive next growth story: Experts

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/48170011.cms
Nilay is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed