Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2016, 22:15   #811
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

You stole my words! A 5-Link suspension is a complex system, and to implement it commercially is a seriously tough task & TBH I don't think Tata is capable of managing its QC effectively, leave alone handling problems with it in the after sales.
The 5 link suspension in Hexa is not a totally new design and from what I read in Autocar magazine the dampers in the Hexa will be of adjustable type and that too in the top 4x4 manual variant. I am posting a screen shot from the Safari manual here for reference. The Aria had this suspension from launch and was carried over to the Storme as both of them share the underpinnings.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-screenshot_20161010220424.png  

damodar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 22:30   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
The 5 link suspension in Hexa is not a totally new design and from what I read in Autocar magazine the dampers in the Hexa will be of adjustable type and that too in the top 4x4 manual variant...
This is indeed quite a big thing. Even after repeated googling. The only other car (to be launched in India) I knew had this type of suspension was the Isuzu MU-X. Even Safari Storme or Aria didn't come up in the results.

Modulation in this suspension I thought was THE reason that they offered different drive modes (Edit : Rough Road, Comfort, Dynamic) . I thought appropriate modulation was the reason they're extensively test driving it.

Even here people noted that they're offering a new type of suspension. But it seems they aren't providing this modulation in the (4x2) automatic transmission variant. I truly wonder why.

And I really can't guess why all this testing if the suspension is already been in use since the Aria & Safari Storme.

The 2.2l VariCOR Engine in 400NM tune with this 6 speed manual gear box is also doing duty in the current Safari Storme.

Why this delay in launch then ? What are they testing ?

Perplexed.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 10th October 2016 at 22:53.
Old 10th October 2016, 23:46   #813
BHPian

I can mention this from an ex Aria owner's perspective that the car's suspension is something special. The passengers never know at what speed they are traveling as the car is so well planted. It looks bulky and heavy from outside but once in the drivers seat the car shrinks around you. And then it's quick to change direction, ya not some thing to be compared to a duster/creta but very effortless and steering is pretty accurate. Most of this can be attributed to the double wishbone front suspension and 5 link setup at the rear with anti roll bars at both ends.

Now waiting for Hexa to be launched to see where they could improve on the Aria and will definitely buy the 2wd AT variant.

Last edited by damodar : 10th October 2016 at 23:47.
Old 11th October 2016, 10:11   #814
BHPian

Source: http://www.carblogindia.com/tata-hex...launch-review/

Tata Hexa Price in India

Variant-wise Tata Hexa Expected Price List

Tata Hexa LX Manual Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 10.99 lakh
Tata Hexa LX Automatic Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 11.90 lakh
Tata Hexa VX Manual Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 12.30 lakh
Tata Hexa VX Manual Transmission, 4×4 Rs. 12.99 lakh
Tata Hexa VX Automatic Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 13.10 lakh

Seen above is the expected Tata Hexa price list. The Tata Hexa price will be more than that of the Safari Storme. Hence, expect the Hexa to have a starting price of roughly Rs. 10.99 lakh (ex-showroom). Also, our guess is that the Hexa could have a slight price advantage over the XUV500.

For me prices looks quite optimistic, especially for 4*4 version.
bageherath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 10:24   #815
Distinguished - BHPian

Today's scoop - a decked-up Hexa at Tata's plant on Dusshera day.

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-14608840_1000688730053765_6128758164297839567_o.jpg

From Facebook.
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 10:50   #816
Distinguished - BHPian

With so many facebook posts, spotting on road both camouflaged and uncamouflaged. What is left to scoop?

TATA is trying real hard to shoot their own foot again by being decisive in the launch. Too many rumors, pricing, engine variants floating around. This will do no good to TATA. However, good the product may be, if it is not launched it cant sell.

Since the media drives are scheduled this month, is Teambhp reviewing it?
Old 11th October 2016, 11:13   #817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
True CrAzY dRiVeR, on quality. I stressed on Design because I read up in this thread that Mayank Pareek attributed Tiago's success mostly to this "Impact Design" concept.

You stole my words! A 5-Link suspension is a complex system, and to implement it commercially is a seriously tough ....
The Aria had it from day one, and though complex, it is one of the more complete suspension systems, rather than half baked ones.

The Innova also had multi link suspension, though 4-link.

The leaf springs and others maybe more durable and low maintenance, but in terms of usage, the road holding ability of multi link suspension is just superb.
Don't think it would be that much problematic.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 11:31   #818
Senior - BHPian

One plausible reason for delaying the launch to January can be that Tata can save itself from offering unsold inventory manufactured in previous year at discount. This was mentioned in few posts sometime back.

Now this leaves with another question as to whether the production will be done after the bookings, etc.

Also there are numerous posts (incl mine) highlighting the issues reported with I batch cars from Tata and M&M, so who knows Tata has analysed them seriously and continued their rigorous testing to further iron-out the niggles, hence the delay.
Old 11th October 2016, 11:41   #819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
One plausible reason for delaying the launch to January can be that Tata can save itself from offering unsold inventory manufactured in previous year at discount. This was mentioned in few posts sometime back.
This argument does not hold much weight. If the Fortuner and Tucson can be launched at the end of the year, why can't the Hexa?

What is Tata afraid of? If they believe they have a genuinely good product in their hand and they can price it well, they should launch it without wasting time.

Again, the only thing this delay is doing is that it is making prospective buyers wonder why TML is second guessing it's own self.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 11:45   #820
BHPian

For god's sake, the product hasn't even been launched. I don't understand why people are going crazy over all the rumors floating around. I am sure Tata have good reason to do what they are doing and nobody wants the car to do well than Tata themselves.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 11:56   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
Source: http://www.carblogindia.com/tata-hex...launch-review/

Tata Hexa LX Manual Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 10.99 lakh
Tata Hexa LX Automatic Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 11.90 lakh
Tata Hexa VX Manual Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 12.30 lakh
Tata Hexa VX Manual Transmission, 4×4 Rs. 12.99 lakh
Tata Hexa VX Automatic Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 13.10 lakh
For me prices looks quite optimistic, especially for 4*4 version.
I guess Carblog India has mistaken Hexa with Storme. How can the cost be almost equal to a Storme? Fake news to increase expectations and in the end people will shun away saying an exorbitantly priced car as their initial expectations will not be met.
Ani0404 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 12:18   #822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The Aria had it from day one, and though complex...
A few pages back, Tata seems to have had an off-road event. In those pics it shows how extreme the articulation of the wheels is.

I don't think the Aria could do that. And if it could, and there's nothing new, then it really raises the question that what on earth would Tata Motors be testing ?

The interiors are same as shown in the Geneva Motor Show.

All they say it's there's a newer version of ESP. That and newer chooseable remaps.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2016 at 15:23.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 13:01   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

The birdies are chirping that the reason behind delaying the launch is that a few component vendors have asked for some more time for their respective part supplies to get regularised.

As such, the Hexa will enter mass production in end-November, and dealer dispatches will commence from end-December. Pricing and official launch will be conducted in January, with deliveries starting immediately.

Pre-bookings of the Hexa will commence from November itself. The media drive is going ahead as per schedule, which is 3rd week of this month.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 14:36   #824
Distinguished - BHPian

Brain-scrambler moment - what is a Hexa test mule doing inside a Volkswagen dealership?!

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexaspiedatvwdealer4.jpg

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexaspiedatvwdealer1.jpg

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexaspiedatvwdealer3.jpg

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexaspiedatvwdealer6.jpg

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexaspiedatvwdealer7.jpg

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexaspiedatvwdealer5.jpg

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexaspiedatvwdealer2.jpg

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexaspiedatvwdealer8.jpg

Plot thickens.

Rush Lane
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 14:43   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Granted we are the enthusiastic lot, so we know much more then a common man knows. I happen to speak to a friend generally about SUV in the market, and he has not heard about Hexa. For him there is no delay, it will launch when it will launch. This is the same for 80% of the crowd, the one who are really depressed about the launch getting delayed are more speaking from the fact that Tata image will get further beating, and not from the fact that thtey wanted to buy Hexa.

Will be good to see how many of our members end up buying Hexa even if the reviews are glorious.

I can already foresee the Ownership threads reading something like below

1. Cars considered - Hexa, with praising the car a lot and then end up buying something else.

Again not generic, but of the 20% i refer to above, even if they were all in the market to buy SUV, actual sales will be 3-4%. I for one say, let them work on the car and make it as niggle proof as possible, as bad press in first two months of launch will go a long way to damage the reputation of the car.

More then the consumer it is the manufacturer of the car who has put blood and sweat in getting the car in the shape to reach out the market, and in case of any delays they are the one who will feel bad.

Also in the end, is it actually a delay, when no launch date was announced to begin with
AtheK is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed