Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2016, 15:26   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm particularly worried about that complex adjustable suspension setup, and how it fares over Indian roads. TATA seem to be doing a lot of homework to get things right. But still safer to have an AMC contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
You stole my words! A 5-Link suspension is a complex system, and to implement it commercially is a seriously tough task & TBH I don't think Tata is capable of managing its QC effectively, leave alone handling problems with it in the after sales.
I think you guys are confusing 5-Link suspension with adjustable suspension set up. Adjustable suspension uses adjustable dampers to change compression/rebound settings. 5-Link rear solid axle coil spring set up is very basic and has been there on solid axle coil spring vehicles for many years. 5 link is basically a standard 4-Link coil spring suspension just like in the rear of the Scorpio/Innova with an extra link (panhard rod). It is not complex at all. 5-Link has got nothing to do with adjustable suspension.
4x4addict is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 17:51   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Brain-scrambler moment - what is a Hexa test mule doing inside a Volkswagen dealership.
And my first reaction was what Hexa doing with a VW monogram on it. The front monogram looks so much like a VW than a Tata.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 19:07   #828
BHPian

Quote:
A 5-Link suspension is a complex system, and to implement it commercially is a seriously tough task & TBH I don't think Tata is capable of managing its QC effectively, leave alone handling problems with it in the after sales.
5 link suspension is standard in Safari for ages. It has not given much issues from the time they launched the first safari in 1998.
Prowler is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 19:26   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I think you guys are confusing 5-Link suspension with adjustable suspension set up. Adjustable suspension uses adjustable dampers to change compression/rebound settings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
5 link suspension is standard in Safari for ages. It has not given much issues from the time they launched the first safari in 1998.
Sure, I kindof didn't know at all, moreover people commented in this thread that the Hexa has a new type of suspension. Additionally I saw the off-roading pics a few pages back with wheels showing extreme articulation. I then searched google multiple times over the whole last week for "5-Link Suspension" and never managed to find links to Tata Safari or Tata Aria in the 1st search page.

I did check the Wiki page & did understand that its been in use since long by the likes of Mercedes etc IIRC but I guess now I'll search & try to understand better about Adjustable Dampers along with 5-Link Suspension. Will post in the Team-BHP 4x4 section for more guidance on that.

Or, it'll be great if someone from that expertise could post the feature about "Adjustable Dampers" here. It'd greatly help.

Thanks
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 20:15   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
Source: http://www.carblogindia.com/tata-hex...launch-review/

Tata Hexa Price in India

Variant-wise Tata Hexa Expected Price List

Tata Hexa LX Manual Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 10.99 lakh
Tata Hexa LX Automatic Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 11.90 lakh
Tata Hexa VX Manual Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 12.30 lakh
Tata Hexa VX Manual Transmission, 4×4 Rs. 12.99 lakh
Tata Hexa VX Automatic Transmission, 4×2 Rs. 13.10 lakh
This carblogindia.com price list seems to have got even the variant names wrong. The Hexa test mules spotted so far have worn badges like XT, XM etc., similar to the naming that Tata has used for Zest, Bolt and Tiago. No test mules with LX, VX have been reported do far. So the prices listed are probably just speculative.
cogWheel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 10:36   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Both of Hexa's competitors have multi-link suspensions at the rear.

Innova:
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-inn.jpg

XUV500:
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-xuv.jpg

Both are of the standard 4-link type though.

Seems like the Hexa's rear setup (rigid axle, coil spring based) is similar, except for that extra rod. Not sure if Tata is offering something new in the Hexa's suspension setup.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 12:01   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sure, I kindof didn't know at all, moreover people commented in this thread that the Hexa has a new type of suspension. Additionally I saw the off-roading pics a few pages back with wheels showing extreme articulation. I then searched google multiple times over the whole last week for "5-Link Suspension" and never managed to find links to Tata Safari or Tata Aria in the 1st search page.

I did check the Wiki page & did understand that its been in use since long by the likes of Mercedes etc IIRC but I guess now I'll search & try to understand better about Adjustable Dampers along with 5-Link Suspension. Will post in the Team-BHP 4x4 section for more guidance on that.

Or, it'll be great if someone from that expertise could post the feature about "Adjustable Dampers" here. It'd greatly help.

Thanks
Yes, the biggest question in everyone's minds is whether the Tata Hexa's Multi Drive modes are actually including Adaptive Air suspension technology - which is essentially Variable air dampers which have pumps which regulate the amount of suspension resistance and also lift the car up for rough road use. It is quite an expensive technology and is normally found in the Higher variants of Audis and BMW and Mercs.
See this video which shows how this tech works on the new Audi Q7.

We had personally seen it in action when we had gone for an Audi organized Offroad event in Gurgaon some time back.
It is ofcourse possible Tata can offer this tech (from JLR), but since it is extremely expensive, can Tata offer it in the Hexa and at an affordable price level? Typical difference in Models from Audi for models which have this tech and models which don't is upwards of 4 lacs!
I feel it would be too optimistic to expect Tata to offer this in the Hexa and even if they did, the premium may well land upto 2-3 lacs over the standard version.
But knowing the customer profile of Tata SUVs I doubt that any customer would pay a 3 lac premium for this feature and bear the risk of premature failure and also service nightmares.
Waiting for the TBHP reveiws to see how good the technology is when and if they do offer it!

Last edited by Behemoth : 12th October 2016 at 12:02.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 12:07   #833
Distinguished - BHPian

Let's get real! There is literally zero chance of the Hexa getting adjustable dampers. This tech is just too expensive! Even the likes of E Class and 5 series have regular non adjustable suspensions.

The modes most likely are about engine mapping and traction control/ESP settings. Pretty much an advanced version of the economy and power modes of the Crysta or the city and power modes Tata itself offers on the Zest.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 14:52   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes, the biggest question in everyone's minds is whether the Tata Hexa's Multi Drive modes are actually including Adaptive Air suspension technology - which is essentially Variable air dampers which have pumps which regulate the amount of suspension resistance and also lift the car up for rough road use...
Whoa! That'd be awesome! Hope it's this, *Fingers crossed*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Let's get real! There is literally zero chance of the Hexa getting adjustable dampers...
If not Air Suspension, guess it may be adjustable dampers like in this video :

I'm quite hopeful they'll have something mechanically unique to show, don't think they'd take such a long time to test interior design holds against rattles lol

Anyway, I guess the Team-BHP Official Review will clarify. Lets see.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 12th October 2016 at 15:08.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 15:29   #835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If not Air Suspension, guess it may be adjustable dampers like in this video :

https://Youtu.be/GoqvSMo1PYo
If we are looking at different drive modes that are selectable on-the-run, then the change-ability is better integrated in the system .. ?
Old 12th October 2016, 15:31   #836
BHPian

Has media drives started?

"We will be driving the @TataMotors #Hexa soon. What r ur expectations from it? Tweet and let us know... @CarWale @Car_Trade"

Source: https://twitter.com/MotoringScribe/s...06268968689665
Old 12th October 2016, 15:48   #837
BHPian

Saw the test mule on CBE-Salem highway today. It was weaving through the traffic and closely followed by a Ciaz. I thought the test mule was trying to shake off the Ciaz from its tail
Old 12th October 2016, 16:04   #838
BHPian

I see a possibility of people having wrong expectations: read getting super cool features like adaptive suspension etc. and all for 10-15L. Please be warned that you will get disappointment and nothing else.
prakash_ajp is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 16:46   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I see a possibility of people having wrong expectations: read getting super cool features like adaptive suspension etc. and all for 10-15L. Please be warned that you will get disappointment and nothing else.
You said it! Some of the expectations on this thread for Tata to achieve is outright ridiculous and then because its Tata, they want it dirt cheap because Tata's quality is poor, they've failed before, etc. etc.. The expectations point to subtle hypocrisy, as why would anyone expect great new features from someone who has failed miserably with quality before? And its okay if the same poor reliability and quality come at a cheap price??

Plus we have experts establishing possibilities for Tata to achieve or not achieve even without understanding the technology they're commenting about, for a manufacturer. As if they won't have a clue.

Reading this thread is certainly amusing.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 17:15   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
You said it! Some of the expectations on this thread for Tata to achieve is outright ridiculous and then because its Tata, they want it dirt cheap because Tata's quality is poor, they've failed before, etc. etc.. The expectations point to subtle hypocrisy, as why would anyone expect great new features from someone who has failed miserably with quality before? And its okay if the same poor reliability and quality come at a cheap price??

Plus we have experts establishing possibilities for Tata to achieve or not achieve even without understanding the technology they're commenting about, for a manufacturer. As if they won't have a clue.

Reading this thread is certainly amusing.
Perfectly said. This is a new TATA. They are coming up with cars which will be awesome. The Tiago is an example, having recently sat in one, its fit and finish, the music system, overall ergonomics is wonderful. It is time for TATA to start launching cars faster than the speed at which discussion threads grow, and they need to get a good media agency to manage their branding.

Good Luck TATA !
Dieselritzer is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks