Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2016, 21:14   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
"Cost of AT is around 7 lakh rupees and it weighs 90 kgs", is the info sent by the birdies.
That is extremely doubtful! Maybe they imported a few AT boxes from JLR to use in the prototypes and they might have cost as much, but if they try to put such costly AT boxes, it will be suicidal for the Hexa and no customer will pay it. Typical price difference of AT vs MT models is not more than 1.25L with any manufacturer. The new Ameo with 7 speed DSG is available for 8.35 lacs ex showroom and there is no way Tata can sell a car with a 7 Lac gearbox. JLR definitely yes but Tata heck no!
Old 14th October 2016, 21:27   #872
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
This can't be right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
That is extremely doubtful!
May be the cost of putting together the normal AT variant on the factory floor is 7 lakhs.

Will get this clarified tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
I think something got mixed up in this info. The manual 6 speed gearbox on Storme Varicor400 is named G6450.
They might be using the same codename for the Hexa transmission, since 6 gears and the torque figures are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
The time period of the paid services only ascertain the fact that Tata can easily make the service intervals to be longer than 3/6months. 3months seems too short IMHO. The innova too is a pain this this area with a 5k/6 months service interval.
Paid services are at 12 month intervals, which means every year, after the first year of ownership.

3 month-interval services are only two (the 1st and 2nd), and both are inside the first year of ownership only. Also, both are free.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 21:42   #873
Senior - BHPian

Auto gear box price could be true for already imported units. Price changes based on the quantity and lead time. Tata advanced Hexa launch by few months (so chance sending the initial batch by aircraft instead of ship) of and initial delivered batch quantity may be small - Both increases the landing cost. Once production is streamlined with increased volume, moving average price will come down significantly.

Still 7 Lakhs is high, may be vendor added some development costs/overheads to initial batch costing.

Last edited by Latheesh : 14th October 2016 at 21:47.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 22:09   #874
BHPian

Quote:
The AT transmission alone weighs 90 kgs and is estimated to cost around 7 lakh rupees! If damaged, it can only be replaced, NOT repairable.
Quote:
This can't be right. Since you have said that Hexa will be priced in the range of 11 - 18 L, it means the Manual XT model should be 7L cheaper than the corresponding Auto variant. Which means if Hexa XT Auto is 18L than Hexa XT Manual should be 11L. Heck even DSGs don't cost that much. Did you mean 70K by any chance ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
That is extremely doubtful! Maybe they imported a few AT boxes from JLR to use in the prototypes and they might have cost as much, but if they try to put such costly AT boxes, it will be suicidal for the Hexa and no customer will pay it. Typical price difference of AT vs MT models is not more than 1.25L with any manufacturer. The new Ameo with 7 speed DSG is available for 8.35 lacs ex showroom and there is no way Tata can sell a car with a 7 Lac gearbox. JLR definitely yes but Tata heck no!
He has mentioned 7 Lacs as the cost of the AT gear box/transmission not the premium that TATA would be charging over the MT.

Premium for AT would be more realistic at say 1.5 lacs to 2 lacs at max over the MT

But yes, 7 Lacs is huge for a gearbox. Avi Ji, any idea who manufactures this AT?

Quote:
This is something which I am surprised at that too on an engine which not really new to the market. The time period of the paid services only ascertain the fact that Tata can easily make the service intervals to be longer than 3/6months. 3months seems too short IMHO. The innova too is a pain this this area with a 5k/6 months service interval.
Check the post once again, its clearly mentioned that only the first 3 services are at 3, 6 & 12 months respectively (free services). Paid service interval is 12 months/ 20K Kms whichever is earlier
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 22:36   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Paid services are at 12 month intervals, which means every year, after the first year of ownership.

3 month-interval services are only two (the 1st and 2nd), and both are inside the first year of ownership only. Also, both are free.
Its not about the paid or free services I am bothered about or worried about either and yes I am sure that the scenario changes second year onwards. Am just trying to find a logical reasoning for this because if they can have a 1year/20k kms interval second year onwards, then what stops them from having the same in the first year as well because anyway the engine isnt newly developed or being driven on Indian roads for the first time. Its kind of already doing the duty on the Storme and the aria because of which I myself ruled out the explanation of "culturing/acclimatising" the Indian conditions or that the wear and tear would be higher initially.

I guess its the Innova analogy which projected my post in the wrong way. Yes the saving grace here is that from second year on, you visit the service center only once a year for the service but my question revolves around year 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Check the post once again, its clearly mentioned that only the first 3 services are at 3, 6 & 12 months respectively (free services). Paid service interval is 12 months/ 20K Kms whichever is earlier
You can probably take a relook at my post before jumping the gun where I have clearly mentioned that if the second year onwards services can have an interval of 1 per year or every 20k kms (completely cognizant of the fact that its only 3 services in the first and 1 service second year onwards) then why is it different for the first year and what changes between the first and second year. Forget the Paid/free part for the discussion but why is it different between the first and second years is the reasoning I am looking for. Any explanation?

EDIT - BTW I guess, that the Storme Varicor 400 has a different service interval that what the hexa has. Is that correct?

Last edited by centaur : 14th October 2016 at 22:42.
Old 14th October 2016, 22:58   #876
Senior - BHPian

According to cartorq the top end variant is to be priced at 17.49l ex showroom Pune. For a 4*4 looks to be great pricing if true

http://www.cartoq.com/scoop-tata-hex...innova-crysta/
Old 14th October 2016, 23:25   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel tank capacity is 60 liters.

...Instrument cluster will have DTE (Distance to Empty).

A "Juke Car" application will be available for download for all Hexa owners...

The keys will be of the flippy, foldable type.
Not to be a wet blanket, but these 3 are not much of a reveal.

DTE is there in every car in this segment. Its even there in a car like Nano.

Juke Car is already available to everyone on the Google Playstore.

In this segment, a non-flippy key would've been weird.

Quote:
The AT transmission alone weighs 90 kgs and is estimated to cost around 7 lakh rupees! If damaged, it can only be replaced, NOT repairable.
If your source is someone from the factory, I can understand their awe at such a large AT gearbox, its probably the first time they're mating a TATA passenger car to a such a large gearbox.

Quote:
AT transmission is codenamed "G6450", implying G=Gear box, 6=number of gears, & 450=maximum handling torque in Nm.
This is probably just an error. Apparently that is the MT's codename.

Quote:
The ECU for the AT is located on the top of the oil sump unit.
Any particular relevance ?

Quote:
19-inch alloy wheels are offered in a SUV for the first time in India, company claims.
Maybe. 19" rubber tyres on a regular passenger vehicle / MUV will be tough to source & will cost a hefty bit every 3rd year.

lol Just consider how much a BMW X5 or Porsche Macan owner spends on tyres. It'll be something similar. The tyre running cost is probably be ~2.5/km, just for regular wear & tear. I'm almost certain that owners will use insurance to replace bursts due to high paced impacts against, say, sharp edged potholes / rough roads. Hope buyers particularly ensure they're well covered for this.

Quote:
Subsequent paid services= 12 months/20,000 km-intervals, whichever comes earlier.
Weird, they generally offer atleast 2 actual free full-services.

Quote:
Engine oil capacity= 7.5 liters. Type= 15W40.
Type ? Mineral or Synthetic ? With a 20,000km gap, I'm guessing its probably synthetic. I'd recommend people change it every 10,000km, probably outside TASS.

Quote:
The Hexa will come with a standard warranty of 3 years/1,50,000 kms, whichever is earlier.
I guess extended warranty would be 2yrs / 50,000kms. IIRC Storme has a similar warranty period.

Quote:
This can't be right. Since you have said that Hexa will be priced in the range of 11 - 18 L, it means the Manual XT model should be 7L cheaper than the corresponding Auto variant. Which means if Hexa XT Auto is 18L than Hexa XT Manual should be 11L. Heck even DSGs don't cost that much. Did you mean 70K by any chance ?
lol The MT doesn't come free. 7L is possibly the standalone cost of the AT Tranny.

The AT tranny probably costs ~1-2L more than the MT transmission.

Quote:
This is something which I am surprised at that too on an engine which not really new to the market. The time period of the paid services only ascertain the fact that Tata can easily make the service intervals to be longer than 3/6months. 3months seems too short IMHO. The innova too is a pain this this area with a 5k/6 months service interval.
The first service (viz generally more like an inspection) is in 3 months.

Then 2nd free service is probably to change the oil after the initial run in period (due to microscopic metallic bits that may exist).

The 3rd free service is probably the only actual free service.

Ofcourse, it'd be most prudent that one uses the free service & only then buy the AMC contract, so as to avail the benefit for 1 extra year of maintenance.

Quote:
...They might be using the same codename for the Hexa transmission, since 6 gears and the torque figures are the same...
Pretty sure it can't be the same. Some engineering team in there needs to refer to it day in & day out. For sure there has to be a distinction in the codes associated to them.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 14th October 2016 at 23:44.
Old 15th October 2016, 10:42   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted on a test run yesterday on the Pune-Bangalore bypass by a TAI member.

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-img_5227.jpg

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-img_5228.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 11:29   #879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams_cars View Post
....I want to suggest that - please review the tag line in the official ownership threads that "service and longterm realiability remains a weak point"...

There are always unhappy customers and happy customers. No company has all happy customers - when it boils down to money!!. Agree?...
I don't think team-bhp does anything unfair to any brands. TATAs sales / market share plunged to this extent for some genuine reason (taxi badge can only contribute to some extent).

You are right about the happy & unhappy customers; but what we miss is to take into account the total number of units sold & the ratio of happy to unhappy customers (1/1000 is way too different than 1/10,000 if you get what I mean ).

I think any manufacturer HAS to earn their reputation and not handed over. From a product perspective, TATA seems to have addressed it right (and am sure team-bhp reviews acknowledge that). Let them prove it in the service department as well and am sure everyone will appreciate that. We have to watch the space for atleast 1 year before we confirm that.

Quote:
He mentioned that the AT gearbox costs 7L; not that it's more expensive than the MT by 7L. So, a difference of 7L in the price doesn't hold.

Quote:
It's only the first 3 services coming in such an interval, which I believe is the same for other brands too. It's fair for the paid service too, @ 12 months intervals.

Quote:
Its not about the paid or free services I am bothered about or worried about either and yes I am sure that the scenario changes second year onwards. Am just trying to find a logical reasoning for this because if they can have a 1year/20k kms interval second year onwards, then what stops them from having the same in the first year as well because anyway the engine isnt newly developed or being driven on Indian roads for the first time. Its kind of already doing the duty on the Storme and the aria because of which I myself ruled out the explanation of "culturing/acclimatising" the Indian conditions or that the wear and tear would be higher initially...
I think the short intervals are because it's a "new" car and the parts go through a running in. I don't think anything will be replaced, but just an inspection / top up etc that'll be done.

Quote:
...Avi Ji, any idea who manufactures this AT?..
It's sourced from GM; so I expect them to charge royalty which could be the reason why the premium may be higher (not that they are charging a whole 5L).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Not to be a wet blanket, but these 3 are not much of a reveal.

DTE is there in every car in this segment....
I don't think he mentioned he is revealing anything. These are all additional information from the sources.

And yeah, not every car has DTE in the price segment, it's better termed as "most"! Ex. Creta.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th October 2016 at 11:54. Reason: Added additional quotes.
swiftnfurious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 11:44   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Hexa will come with a standard warranty of 3 years/1,50,000 kms, whichever is earlier. No news on extended warranty packages yet.

Tagline used for the Hexa is "Confident Luxury."
As someone had mentioned in couple of posts back that people would shy away telling I am not comfortable seeing a Tata in my garage.

If they are pricing it on par with XUV and taking the fight to Innova, Why aren't they able to match the warranty of 7 years provided on Hondas / Toyotas. Xuv at launch had a warranty of 4 years is guess ( 1 year additional to keep 1st batch of customers happy)

Aren't Tata having the "confident luxury" on the reliability of the Hexa? We have read enough that skill and technology isn't where they should focus (they already have plenty of it). They should focus on Customer service and product reliability, which is where they lack.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 15th October 2016 at 11:46.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 11:56   #881
Distinguished - BHPian

Confirmation from birdies - the AT box is indeed valued at 7 lakh rupees. If damaged and rendered unusable, the cost of a replacement AT box will be the same.

As swiftnfurious has mentioned, the 6-speed torque converter AT box to be used in the Hexa is sourced from General Motors.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 15th October 2016 at 12:04. Reason: minor typo
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 11:57   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Why aren't they able to match the warranty of 7 years provided on Hondas / Toyotas. Xuv at launch had a warranty of 4 years is guess ( 1 year additional to keep 1st batch of customers happy)

Aren't Tata having the "confident luxury" on the reliability of the Hexa.
Standard warranty on the Innova Crystal is 3 years. Extended warranty is up to 7 years. OP mentioned that there is no inside information on extended warranty, does not imply it is not offered.

Typically Tata offers AMC plans which cover all costs and help reduce total cost of ownership.

The problem with Tata Motors is that some informed people will never want to give them a second chance. This is partly their own doing, can't blame others.
sachinayak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 12:09   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Standard warranty on the Innova Crystal is 3 years. Extended warranty is up to 7 years. OP mentioned that there is no inside information on extended warranty, does not imply it is not offered.

Typically Tata offers AMC plans which cover all costs and help reduce total cost of ownership.

The problem with Tata Motors is that some informed people will never want to give them a second chance. This is partly their own doing, can't blame others.
Effectively it should cost 4-5 lakhs more than manual!

So may be reason to avoid multi drive modes to keep costs in check for AT?
Old 15th October 2016, 12:40   #884
BHPian

Quote:
3months seems too short IMHO. The innova too is a pain this this area with a 5k/6 months service interval.
The 'too ' in your post is the reason I told what I told. Hexa has 20K/12 months service interval which is better than Crysta's.

Quote:
why is it different for the first year and what changes between the first and second year
. Any explanation?
Only in your reply post you have put it clearly - your question on why it has to be different for the 1st year and from 2nd year onwards.

Its similar to most other manufacturers as mentioned by swiftnfurious.

Usually

1st service - 1.5K Kms/1 month
2nd service - 5K Kms/6 months
3rd service - 10K Kms/ 12 months

Paid services thereafter - Every 10K Kms or 1 year whichever is earlier.

This holds good for most cars in the market. Experts pls correct me if I'm wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It's only the first 3 services coming in such an interval, which I believe is the same for other brands too. It's fair for the paid service too, @ 12 months intervals.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 15th October 2016 at 12:45.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 18:20   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
...These are all additional information from the sources.

And yeah, not every car has DTE in the price segment, it's better termed as "most"! Ex. Creta.
I had written "almost" at first, then edited it out wondering if, realistically, the Creta can even be compared to Hexa ? Remotely maybe, but quite surely its not directly comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post

I was personally hoping for a proper 5 year full warranty + 2 yr extended warranty.

Not sure about "Confident Luxury", but it'd have quite surely made Team-BHP remove the con about "Inconsistent after sales service" from the official review. Because IMPO one wouldn't need to worry much incase Tata showed their confidence with a 5 year warranty.

Quote:
The 'too ' in your post is the reason I told what I told. Hexa has 20K/12 months service interval which is better than Crysta's...
Theres No knowing of wrong or right unless we're told which oil they're suggesting. 20k kms indicates (to me) it might be synthetic engine oil.

Also, IIRC the 5k interval for Innova is for check-up & NOT oil changes. So, its not a "pain" as such.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 15th October 2016 at 18:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks