Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2016, 18:57   #886
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Out of curiosity I checked available GM auto transmissions and found the 6L50 transmission which might be the one used in the Hexa. I wasn't able to find out the price but I don't believe that it costs the equivalent of USD 10,000 when purchased by Tata. It would be nice if someone could post the real price, at least retail, of this gearbox.

What is interesting is that BMW also uses or used this transmission in some cars.

Info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L5...on?wprov=sfla1

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-transmissions/myb/
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 20:07   #887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Out of curiosity I checked available GM auto transmissions and found the 6L50 transmission which might be the one used in the Hexa. I wasn't able to find out the price but I don't believe that it costs the equivalent of USD 10,000 when purchased by Tata. It would be nice if someone could post the real price, at least retail, of this gearbox.

What is interesting is that BMW also uses or used this transmission in some cars.

Info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L5...on?wprov=sfla1

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-transmissions/myb/
The Auto transmission used in the Captiva by GM is roughly around 2240 USD in the aftermarket (new).
This is a logical price and translates to around 1.5lacs.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-1476542128669.jpg  

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-1476542148417.jpg  

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-1476542170448.jpg  

Behemoth is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 20:15   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Out of curiosity I checked available GM auto transmissions and found the 6L50 transmission which might be the one used in the Hexa...
RavenAvi mentioned his source say that this 6-Speed Transmission is one that cannot be repaired (like traditional torque converter AT's where the solenoids that fail can be replaced) and needs to be replaced if there is any sort of failure.

GM's 6L50 Transmission seems to be one which has solenoids that can be easily replaced. Hence I doubt it'll be that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Auto transmission used in the Captiva by GM is roughly around 2240 USD in the aftermarket (new).
This is a logical price and translates to around 1.5lacs.
Is there any TC AT from GM that costs ~5-6L ?

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 15th October 2016 at 20:22.
Old 15th October 2016, 20:17   #889
Distinguished - BHPian

At the current rate, I fear by the time it hits the market, this thread might have more information on the Hexa than TML's service booklets or owner's manuals!

Seriously, TML always seems to get folks interested but eventually loses out on sales. Tiago has been able to change some of that. Let's see what Hexa can do. JLR is already performing well, once the domestic sales pick up, it will be on the road to a good recovery.
Dry Ice is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 23:29   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
At the current rate, I fear by the time it hits the market, this thread might have more information on the Hexa than TML's service booklets or owner's manuals!

Seriously, TML always seems to get folks interested but eventually loses out on sales. Tiago has been able to change some of that. Let's see what Hexa can do. JLR is already performing well, once the domestic sales pick up, it will be on the road to a good recovery.
Nailed it. Given the realms posted in the Zest, Bolt, Tiago and Hexa threads, you would think Lee Iacocca himself was launching these products. Shame, despite the good buzz and the anticipation, Tata is still struggling. Let's hope they crawl back.
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 23:39   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Shame, despite the good buzz and the anticipation, Tata is still struggling. Let's hope they crawl back.
Tiago has 50K outstanding orders to fulfill. This isn't a happy situation to be in for TM. This could very well turn into a churn situation with the competition. With Hexa, TM is looking at a guaranteed production deliveries through various vendors & also was recently in news that Cyrus Mistry has warned about blacklisting the vendors with poor QC. Hence, the empanelled vendors are rolling up their sleeves & making sure that there isn't a gap created between supply & demand.

It is better to be late than be sorry.
m3_07 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 10:41   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
According to cartorq the top end variant is to be priced at 17.49l ex showroom Pune. For a 4*4 looks to be great pricing if true

http://www.cartoq.com/scoop-tata-hex...innova-crysta/
This article suggests that the top end Auto will not come with in 4x4 avatar. While many posts in this thread are suggesting that the even the Auto will be offered in 4x4. Can someone confirm what is the reality? Will the Hexa Automatic 4x4 be launched on day-1?
Old 16th October 2016, 11:05   #893
Distinguished - BHPian

Here they go for the Hexa Drive event!

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-untitled.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 15:34   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Standard warranty on the Innova Crystal is 3 years. Extended warranty is up to 7 years. OP mentioned that there is no inside information on extended warranty, does not imply it is not offered.

Typically Tata offers AMC plans which cover all costs and help reduce total cost of ownership.

The problem with Tata Motors is that some informed people will never want to give them a second chance. This is partly their own doing, can't blame others.
Well, at least they have an option to do so. If they are confident let them offer a 7 year warranty plan. Let people choose whether to buy it or not. Offering this itself gives a confidence that quality has improved to be on par with leaders.

I am ready to buy the Hexa for what it offers and given them a second chance. Why cant they simply offer optional 7 year warranty to rival the japs.

The 7 year warranty isn't offered on the Tiago / bolt / zest, so I doubt they would offer that on the hexa. The base features like Audio / steering etc are carried forward from lower models and they have enough expertise with Aria and storme on the 4X4 box. There is nothing new to learn IMHO on the heza after so many years with all the above products (at least mechanically and basic common electrical and electronics).
Old 16th October 2016, 16:02   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am ready to buy the Hexa for what it offers and given them a second chance. Why cant they simply offer optional 7 year warranty to rival the japs.

The 7 year warranty isn't offered on the Tiago / bolt / zest, so I doubt they would offer that on the hexa.
Good, you have your excuse lined up if they don't offer the 7 year warranty

Anyway, 7 year is an extreme example and I would say it's harsh if someone doesn't consider Hexa because they only offer up to 5 years. All said and done, let us wait before concluding anything.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 16:41   #896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
This can't be right. Since you have said that Hexa will be priced in the range of 11 - 18 L, it means the Manual XT model should be 7L cheaper than the corresponding Auto variant. Which means if Hexa XT Auto is 18L than Hexa XT Manual should be 11L. Heck even DSGs don't cost that much. Did you mean 70K by any chance ?
I think you are mistaken. It was the cost of AT box, there is also a cost of manual transmission which will be in lakhs too. Thus the difference between AT and Manual will apply and not 7 Lakh straight !
Old 16th October 2016, 16:54   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Mean no offense, but i doubt if you really want to buy one. You want Japanese rivaling attributes at Indian prices. The top end Crysta touches 26L OTR and does not offer 4x4 (if I recall correctly). If you read the official reviews of the Crysta, there have been (minor) irritants reported by new owners. What has happened to Honda quality is well known (there is even a dedicated thread). Further, if you see Honda's warranty, it is one year at a time, subject to dealer's discretion.

Yes Tata does not offer 7 year warranty (like most manufacturers). But they offer comprehensive AMC plans which covers everything (including tyres in the Platinum package) which keeps ownership cost under control till 5 years at least. How many manufacturers do that?

Essentially, when it comes to Tata Motors, people expect a Swift or perhaps even a Ciaz at Tiago prices.

Last edited by sachinayak : 16th October 2016 at 16:59.
sachinayak is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 19:50   #898
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors will start the media drive event of the Hexa at Hyderabad from tomorrow, and it has been dubbed as the "Hexa Experience".
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 21:15   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
This can't be right. Since you have said that Hexa will be priced in the range of 11 - 18 L, it means the Manual XT model should be 7L cheaper than the corresponding Auto variant. Which means if Hexa XT Auto is 18L than Hexa XT Manual should be 11L. Heck even DSGs don't cost that much. Did you mean 70K by any chance ?
Sir, there is something called profit margin. It is not as simple as 2+2=4. If AMT GB costs 7 lakhs, it simply means that profit margin in AMT will be much lesser.
Old 16th October 2016, 21:17   #900
BHPian

Yes, I know that the manual transmission also costs money. At most it should not cost more than 1.5 - 2 lakhs. So there's still a huge difference between the Manual & Auto versions. Also there's talk that the variable suspension system will only be given in Manual so it's cost will also come into play.

I still stick to my stand that an Auto Transmission which costs 7 lakhs is unviable in a car in the range of 11-18 Lakhs. If we deduct taxes, profit & other expenses incurred in the manufacturing & transportation of the car, the auto transmission alone ends up with about half the cost of the car which I still believe is impossible.

Hope I've made myself clear.

PS : If avi meant the cost of 7 Lakhs is for end user who wants to replace the transmission & not to Tata, I stand corrected. But in that case it will only take a few broken transmissions to generate bad publicity on the lines of the DSG of VW Group.

Last edited by Turbo_Charger : 16th October 2016 at 21:31.
Turbo_Charger is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks