Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2016, 19:05   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
All reviews complain about the manual GB. Some say it is rubbery, some say it is impossible to find gears ! .
All these reviewers love to find faults with Tata and all they could find was a rubbery gear box and some issue with seat folding.

Now the seat folding is not an issue as seen in picture. People never made an issue of virtually no access to third row of seats in Innova or no boot in XUV but for Hexa some small incontinence becomes a gross negligence on their part.

All I can guess is that the gear box is same as Storme 400, if not better. The issue here some trouble in slotting to 5th gear and it is only a matter of getting used to it. Anyways, we should either wait for TBHP review or test drive the car ourselves before writing it down altogether. The biggest task for Tata is to fight these overcome the prejudices against the brand.
sourabhzen is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 19:29   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quality is very good, specially by TATA standards, but not perfect yet.

http://m.overdrive.in/news/2016-tata...-drive-review/
No offence to the OD review but honestly these are just plain nitpickings.
Irrelevant fault findings just to cover the cons sections in your review.

Every piano black surface will sooner or later gather scratches especially if viewed under light.

For the faded mudguard section, I wish the reviewer had given a comparo image with his other unfaded Hexa.

Tweeter falling off the socket incident should be investigated by TATA Motors.

For the glovebox lid having flimsy feeling part, honestly I'd pay attention to that if it is mentioned in the Team BHP review. Eagerly waiting for it.
Sherlocked is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 19:40   #1278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quality is very good, specially by TATA standards, but not perfect yet.

http://m.overdrive.in/news/2016-tata...-drive-review/

Attachment 1569632

Attachment 1569633
Other than the tweeter falling out of the socket, the other 2 issues are really non issues.

The whitening of the cladding was because the cars were being waxed daily and not very well. I noticed that the rotary buffer was used on the black cladding which is 101 of detailing on what not to do.

The micro swirls on the piano black will happen very easily as well cause of the way the guys were cleaning and the cars were really dirty. You will see even the Corolla or any premium car piano black will have this issue. It's the nature of the finish than the quality of the car.
Vid6639 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 21:12   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Interiors:

- This was the biggest surprise to us...and a very pleasant one . The interiors are a huge departure from earlier Tata cars.
Thanks Vid.

Does this mean its better than Tiago's?
Old 23rd October 2016, 21:32   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...In my opinion, there is only one thing which would enable Tata to overcome their baggage which is pricing - even if it is introductory. If Tata does not learn their pricing lessons then we will be seeing articles on Team-BHP on why this very good card failed about a year out...
Many many members here are saying this, but will going cheap be the best approach to grow the brand ?

Actually why even seek extreme low cost, whats the use saving premium now & losing on resale later? I suggest people should demand value. Tatas' main competitor XUV has brand recall, Innova has super-long reliability, so people can justifiably demand that Tata give better warranty to prove product value. This will even help against any headaches in dealing with the Tata Authorised service center. Also, resulting to the car being well maintained, it'll retain better resale value.

And if they don't, say after ~5 years when PLC ends for a stop-gap product like Hexa, it will drastically lose resale value, and Tata's brand image will take a beating. Both of which, none of us want. So, if Tata offered absolutely amazing warranty, why shouldn't people reconsider paying them atleast XUV5OO price ?

I had someone ask the Tata top management about warranty & was informed they're working out the details. Which means it is going to be different from Storme. It could be a drastic strategy towards reassurance of quality.

Tata has offered 3+1yr / 1,50,000km warranty on Safari Storme. But they've not declared the same for Hexa. I'm thinking, upto 1 month from launch i.e. January-end, a strong pitch like a 6 yr warranty and then upto financial year end - March '17, a 4 + 2yr extended warranty offered atleast. April 2017 onwards, 3+2yrs.

Why? Because I guess basically most travel-enthusiasts don't want to deal with too many parts wearing off & demanding replacement (whether due to quality or excessive wear & tear due to the weight of the car) just 3-4 years into the ownership, and this will instill great confidence in the product. So, I strongly believe that it'll be more relevant if their commitment to the product & service is put to test through a long-term warranty package.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 23rd October 2016 at 21:39.
GrammarNazi is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 21:42   #1281
Senior - BHPian

I agree. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. People want a lot. That's not how businesses work. Keep prices on par (typical Tata VFM, not Aria style) and offer superior warranty 3+2 or 4+2 with decent AMC packages and pull up dealers by the collar to provide quality service. That would be the way to go.

Some of the reviews were the typical biased nitpicking for the heck of it. I would wait for the complete review here, but I would still stick my neck out and say the Hexa is a very good product. Feeling good about the way Tata has reworked on the failure and go all guns blazing.

Last edited by discoverwild : 23rd October 2016 at 22:04.
discoverwild is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:00   #1282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Take a look at the Google Search Trends for the 4 important premium UV launches this year. Except for a spike when the reviews came out, brand Tata Hexa trails all the other big launches of 2016.
Thank you for this, GTO.

I did a similar exercise between the segment leaders generating the most buzz today, and compared them to the Hexa.

The result:

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-untitled.jpg

Tata has definitely created a product which is making the world sit up and take notice. Good times ahead, I hope.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:29   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Automatic Hexa is surely going to be a winner at hand. I fail to fathom, with such a brilliant automatic ( as per some reviews, its just a minor step lower than the DSG's) why would anyone want to touch a manual hexa?

You get a 6 speed automatic, you get sports mode, tip tronic too if you must change manually, a gearbox which holds gears like you want, downshifts even at 3400 rpm, life can't be better than this for an Automatic.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:40   #1284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
why would anyone want to touch a manual hexa?
If you want the AWD then you don't have a choice and will have to get the MT.

We didn't get to drive the 4x2 MT cause that wasn't part of the drive but it will probably be lighter and hence might have better performance than the AT. Plus the price of the 4x2 MT will be more VFM vs the AT.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 00:57   #1285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
.... would anyone want to touch a manual hexa?
Because some of us love our manuals. For some people there is special appeal in an old school manual which the best automatics cannot provide. I am sure there are people with opposite views. To each his own, i don't want this thread to digress into a MT versus AT debate, which has been discussed to death elsewhere. But for me personally the lack of a good MT has been the biggest disappointment in the Hexa. Tata has some months before the official launch. I hope they take some corrective action. Also i am hoping 4*2 MT performs much better on road that the 4*4 MT.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 07:31   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
But for me personally the lack of a good MT has been the biggest disappointment in the Hexa. Tata has some months before the official launch. I hope they take some corrective action. Also i am hoping 4*2 MT performs much better on road that the 4*4 MT.
From what we could gather, gear box issue is present in Storme as well & so it is safe to deduce its been present in Hexa since inception, and if they couldn't fix it in all these years of testing, slim chances that they can fix it before launch, unless the issue has already been sorted and is undergoing tesing.
Old 24th October 2016, 07:36   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
All these reviewers love to find faults with Tata and all they could find was a rubbery gear box and some issue with seat folding.

Now the seat folding is not an issue as seen in picture. People never made an issue of virtually no access to third row of seats in Innova or no boot in XUV but for Hexa some small incontinence becomes a gross negligence on their part.

All I can guess is that the gear box is same as Storme 400, if not better. The issue here some trouble in slotting to 5th gear and it is only a matter of getting used to it. Anyways, we should either wait for TBHP review or test drive the car ourselves before writing it down altogether. The biggest task for Tata is to fight these overcome the prejudices against the brand.
Completely agree that "herd mentality" very much exists among the reviewers too. If it is a TATA, they need to nitpick. They will be the odd man out if they do not do so. So everybody finds one fault or the other just for the sake of it. Marks on piano black finish is one such thing. If you get a good interior, you need to take care of it too. You cannot judge based on an example that has been used and abused by dozens of people.

Last time I checked a website, they had prominently written that the tweeter had fallen off, but conveniently forgot about adding a picture to prove their claim when everything else was documented with pictures (most of them were not even niggles).

And in a review posted online, I heard Renuka saying that fitting big bags will be an issue because the third row does not fold flat. WTH ? There is a lot of space even ON THE THIRD ROW SEAT for bags without even folding them. What kind of a bag would she be trying to load ? I am really not bothered about such things.

I have driven Safari (not the 400 NM one though) extensively and everybody will agree that gearshifts need getting used to. You confirmed it too. But we are living in 2016 and still need to "get used to" shifting a normal 5/6 speed gearbox !! At the same time, this does not come across as an issue in other cars (read XUV and Innova). I definitely find it weird. All these days I was thinking that it will eventually be taken care of. But the end result, as we see/hear in Hexa, is not very different from what it is now. It may not be "bad"; I agree. But it could have been better. For a car equipped with MT, gearshift constitutes a major part of the driving experience. You need to shift between gears innumerable times before you get from point A to B. This definitely is a concern. :(

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 24th October 2016 at 07:38.
DieselAddikt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 07:51   #1288
BHPian

The reviews on Tata Hexa have been extremely fair & we should not whine about the few things that have been pointed out. After all, if nobody talks of your shortcomings, you have nothing to improve on!

Is it good enough that Tata Hexa manual gearbox is 'as good as' Safari? Clearly not, why couldnt they achieve the refinement they have on Tata Zest as is evident in many other areas? The notchy / hard gearbox will turn off women drivers, they love the Innova which drives like a car - so no harm in pointing it out so Tata can improve it in production release if they can.

They also had a huge opportunity to make the 3rd seat a 'full fold' design to achieve a 100% flat large boot - this is quite common now in US / European cars. But I guess they couldnt do it with the spare tyre in that same space below.

Needless to say, I am a prospective buyer for this in 2018/19 when we are ready to sell off the Aveo. Or maybe the Nexon will spring a surprise, lets see
gsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 08:41   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
I have driven Safari (not the 400 NM one though) extensively and everybody will agree that gearshifts need getting used to. You confirmed it too. But we are living in 2016 and still need to "get used to" shifting a normal 5/6 speed gearbox !! At the same time, this does not come across as an issue in other cars (read XUV and Innova). I definitely find it weird. All these days I was thinking that it will eventually be taken care of. But the end result, as we see/hear in Hexa, is not very different from what it is now. It may not be "bad"; I agree. But it could have been better. For a car equipped with MT, gearshift constitutes a major part of the driving experience. You need to shift between gears innumerable times before you get from point A to B. This definitely is a concern. :(
Please define bad and better for our sake! You do agree that what we are talking about is subjective, right? If it is subjective, are you forming your opinion on someone else's judgement? If that's the case, that's clearly unnecessary and wrong too imo.

If the gearbox in XUV is worse, why does it not get reported? I am afraid you need the find the answer yourself. No amount of reading reviews, posting comments and discussing will really tell you the reality, if you really care to know, I.e..
Old 24th October 2016, 09:37   #1290
BHPian

Great preview Vid6639.

I have definitely become a fan of the Hexa's front. The looks are aggressive and captivating. Also, I see a lot of positives. Hexa is spacious, handles well, has good interiors, attention to safety with 6 airbags, all round discs, ABS, ESP etc, a good list of features and a torquey engine. The effort Tata has made is commendable.

The long debates about the weight of the Hexa can only be put to rest by the individual prospective owners. For someone, the weight may be too much and affecting the performance he was expecting while for someone else, it make not make much of a difference for his day-to-day drives and driving style. This can only be sorted by taking a long test drive, with an unloaded and then loaded vehicle.

For me, the 2 things I would like Tata to improve are:
1. Tilt + telescopic steering adjustment
2. The screen is too small for a vehicle of this size. Please give us at least a seven inch display

And the 2 things I hope Tata gets right when the Hexa is launched:
1. Bring in the longest warranty you possibly can. Peace of mind and Tata can co-exist. Prove it to the customers.
2. The price off course. Don't be greedy. The product is wonderful, please price it right and it will sell. Just see the interest it's gathering on T-Bhp.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 24th October 2016 at 09:51.
drive2eternity is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks