Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2016, 20:05   #1411
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

There seems to be something fishy with the high ARAI fuel economy figure quoted by someone earlier ... and attributed to a figure mentioned by Autocar India.

ARAI fuel economy of :
XUV 500 AT is 13.85 kmpl
Innova Crysta AT is 14.29 kmpl

I strong suspect the HEXA figure will be in and around these values when it is formally announced ... and likely will be the lowest figure of the 3, given its weight.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 26th October 2016, 22:33   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post

I strong suspect the HEXA figure will be in and around these values when it is formally announced ... and likely will be the lowest figure of the 3, given its weight.
Storme 400 is 300 KGS heavier than XUV and has more power, still the ARAI figures for Storme stands at 13.9 kmpl against 14 kmpl of XUV. It is possible that heavier Hexa has better fuel efficiency figures.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 23:18   #1413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Has the Innova crysta finally got some competition, look at the performance figures from the November issue of Autocar India.

Tata Hexa AT
20 -80kph 3rd gear 7.68sec
40-100kph 4th gear 10.44sec
0-100kph 12.71sec

Innova Crysta AT
20-80kph 3rd gear 6.7sec
40-100kph 4th gear 8.84sec
0-100kph 11.46sec
Just checked an old issue of Autocar India. There is no way an Innova Crysta can do 20 to 80 kmph in 3rd gear in 6.7 seconds. These are kickdown acceleration numbers.

The data should be read as -

Tata Hexa AT:

20 to 80 kmph in 7.68 secs
40 to 100 kmph in 10.44 secs
0 to 100 kmph in 12.71sec

Toyota Innova Crysta AT:

20 to 80 kmph in 6.7 secs
40 to 100 kmph in 8.84 secs
0 to 100 kmph in 11.46sec

Mahindra XUV500 AT:

20 to 80 kmph in 6.72 secs
40 to 100 kmph in 9.06 secs
0 to 100 kmph in 13.16 secs

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th October 2016 at 23:30.
SmartCat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 10:42   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
wondering what will be the next bone of contention.
That Cyrus Mistry was ousted so Hexa is not better than Cyrsta and XUV, and also because of his ouster, the seat folding angle could not be fixed! Pity Hexa.

Mods, please delete if you find it out of place but I could not stop from writing this.
ambujlal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 11:35   #1415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
After so much hue-and-cry on the weight (completely justified) and the seat folding angle (seemed like such a trivial thingy), wondering what will be the next bone of contention.
That's the strength of an established brand (like Toyota). Once it is established, the manufacturers can afford to pass off slightly sub-par products (Crysta's small niggles) or charge a huge premium for it (Crysta's price). A typical customer will overlook these because of his/her faith in the brand. Products like the Etios twins have decent market acceptability.

On the other hand, if the company doesn't enjoy a strong brand name (Mahindra 2 Wheelers), it will have a tough time to attract customers. If the product is good, the company is lucky to find some initial takers and the word of mouth spreads (Tiago) the brand might build up. If the brand has lost the trust of its customers in the past (Indica, Indigo, Safari days), no matter how good a product they build, they will be nitpicked and criticized. Examples are Bolt, Zest, Hexa, Tiago, etc.
I remember people criticizing Tata for withdrawing some colour options when a Safari refresh was launched.

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th October 2016 at 11:56.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 11:57   #1416
BHPian

Always been a M&M guy (owned Bolero & Scropio in last 10yrs), sold and my scorpio and now looking for new vehicle, XUV (W8) fits my bills except for the luggage space when all 7 seats are in place. M&M is calling me at least 3-4 times a week and is tempting me with good offers. But am waiting for Hexa to launch.

Is it worth waiting for Hexa in terms of cost, reliability ? Should I take the plunge by putting my money on the initial batches ?
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 12:27   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
On the other hand, if the company doesn't enjoy a strong brand name (Mahindra 2 Wheelers), it will have a tough time to attract customers. If the product is good, the company is lucky to find some initial takers and the word of mouth spreads (Tiago) the brand might build up. If the brand has lost the trust of its customers in the past (Indica, Indigo, Safari days), no matter how good a product they build, they will be nitpicked and criticized. Examples are Bolt, Zest, Hexa, Tiago, etc.
Totally agree. I most of us who are nitpicking, do it out of concern because we want this Indian brand to do well. In order to compete with global brand, the products have to be on par, if not better.

With regards to the so called trivial things, I think they matter a lot. What happens is, customers notice few of these things and immediately develop a perception. Most of the time, it is about how a product communicates and re-assures rather then how important is that specific issue is. Most of the consumers don't go around with a checklist but rather develop holistic view/perception which ultimately drives their decision.

The other rather non-trivial issue according to me (did I say me, could be just me) is the product fitment in the overall scheme of things. Traditionally the products which fit in to a stereotype do well, as there is a already a recognized market. Of course, there could be un-explored niche but it is likely to be not very significant. from this perspective, there are established body styles/categories
- MUV (like Innova, focus on people moving ability in comfort)
- Robust SUVs (Like Fortuner or Safari, built to take load, handle tough terrain, mostly truck like and built on ladder frame, Have 4X4)
- Soft-Roaders (SUV like but are more car-like to drive. Styling should be like SUV as it satisfies a social need of driving a touch vehicle)

Now when I look at Hexa, it looks like an MUV, robustly built like a truck based SUV, comes with 4X4 and doesn't quite fit in to any stereotype. I hope this aspect doesn't play too much role when it comes to the mass market.

Do people look at it as a real all-rounder who can fit in to multiple occasions or do people look the other way as they may be bit confused.

Again, I am expressing my views. I will be happy if the product does well in spite of the points I mentioned.

Last edited by Guna : 27th October 2016 at 12:29.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:37   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Tata Hexa features and variant breakup by Autocar

Tata Hexa XE (MT Only)

Varicor 320 engine (150hp)
5-speed manual gearbox
Dual front airbags
Power folding wing mirrors
Remote central locking
Projector headlamps
Steering-mounted audio controls
6-speaker infotainment system
Cooled Glovebox
Tilt steering

Tata Hexa XM (MT and AT)

Varicor 400 engine (156hp)
6-speed MT/ 6-speed AT
Reverse parking sensors
Heated wing mirrors
Rear wiper with defogger
3 Super Drive Modes
Customizable interior lighting
8 speaker Infotainment system with Bluetooth, USB, AUX &iPod connectivity
USB & SD card video playback & image viewer
Voice command recognition
Body colored ORVMs & door handles

Tata Hexa XT(4X2 AT and 4x4 MT)

Varicor 400 engine (156hp)
6-speed MT/ 6-speed AT
Side and curtain airbags
ESP with roll-over mitigation
Traction control
Hill-hold & Hill descent control
Hydraulic brake assist
Reverse parking camera
Cruise control
10 speaker Infotainment system with Bluetooth, USB, AUX &iPod connectivity
Automatic headlamps
Rain sensing wipers
Climate control
Leather seats
Leather wrapped steering wheel
19-inch Alloy wheels
Daytime running lights (DRLs)

Link: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-403167.aspx/1
SnS_12 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 12:49   #1419
Senior - BHPian

My 8 year old Scorpio is due for a change and and the only option I could see was the XUV, now I guess will have an option.

But still have this bit of mistrust on the offerings by Tata Motors and the after sales support.

Would need inputs from owners of Tata vehicles and gurus.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 13:15   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Tata Hexa features and variant breakup by Autocar

Link: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-403167.aspx/1
XE has potential to be value for money If priced well.

And When I say priced well, my reference point will be XUV W4. They really need to undercut XUV W4 by at least around 50 thousands since buyers may expect some discounts/offers on XUV, anything more will be just “optimistic”.

Hope they don’t even look anywhere near Crysta pricing.
Old 27th October 2016, 14:10   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
But still have this bit of mistrust on the offerings by Tata Motors and the after sales support.
Since you are talking about mistrust on the offerings by Tata Motors, better go with the XUV.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 14:45   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Always been a M&M guy (owned Bolero & Scropio in last 10yrs), sold and my scorpio and now looking for new vehicle, XUV (W8) fits my bills except for the luggage space when all 7 seats are in place. M&M is calling me at least 3-4 times a week and is tempting me with good offers. But am waiting for Hexa to launch.

Is it worth waiting for Hexa in terms of cost, reliability ? Should I take the plunge by putting my money on the initial batches ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
My 8 year old Scorpio is due for a change and and the only option I could see was the XUV, now I guess will have an option.

Would need inputs from owners of Tata vehicles and gurus.
Since you asked this in the Hexa thread, so you might get expected response But for what it's worth, that 'initial batch having niggles' thingy does seem to be sorted to a massive extent by Tata, going by all launches post (and including) the Storme. And since the collective effort on the Hexa seems to equal all products since then, It wouldn't be surprising if this one is pretty niggle free from day one.

The XUV though should be pretty niggle free by now. If the Hexa ends up being around 5-10% better than the XUV(subjective of course), then the XUV 'could' make sense for many. But going by the overall sentiment of the reviews, the gap seems to be wider.

Having driven both Dicor and Scorp I am certain the Safari appeals to me much more. But it's the opposite for many. Guess it will end up the same for these two.
Old 27th October 2016, 14:51   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post

The Engine is trusted, the underpinning are doing its duty in Storme and support from Land Rover, all sound good on paper. XUV too did have quite a lot of niggles/issues in the initial batches. With Hexa expect some niggles and given that fact, XE or XM are more sensible options given it comes with lesser number of unreliable Electronics.
If you want something very reliable go for Crysta.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th October 2016 at 15:34. Reason: Typo
Old 27th October 2016, 14:57   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If you want something very reliable go for Crysta.
You should take look at Innova Crysta thread. There are already some niggles and issues reported by Crysta owners.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 15:31   #1425
BHPian

While at it, just read TATA MOTORS has been ranked joint second in JD Power survey. No further details available.

Source: From official TATAMOTORS twitter handle

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 27th October 2016 at 15:47.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks