Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2016, 22:46   #1201
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

ACI's video review is up:

What they say:

Quote:
The engine can be had mated to a new six-speed manual gearbox offered in 4x2 and 4x4 versions, as well as with a six-speed automatic transmission that sends power solely to the rear axle.

It was the latter we sampled first and it immediately impressed us. The engine is surprisingly responsive and has a nice, linear spread of power, pulling cleanly from about 1,500rpm. There’s no spiky mid-range surge, just a mild swell of torque across a very broad rpm band. Automatic gearshifts are quick, smooth and very fluid and it makes the most of the Hexa’s performance. In fact, the automatic is substantially quicker than the manual and a 0-100kph time of 12.71 seconds for such a behemoth is pretty respectable.
BBC Top Gear has gone live as well:

Quote:
As with any SUV, you sit high-up in a Hexa. The cabin is well-appointed and elegant with an array of soft-touch buttons and switches. Tata hasn’t gone in for anything fancy, here, but it still feels rich. Even the leather seats on this top model was nicely finished. Strangely, there are a few ergonomic issues – the front centre armrest is more useful as a storage bin than an armrest and the climate control display is oddly angled so the driver and co-driver can only see the bottom half. No dead pedal in the manual version will be bothersome over long distances. These issues apart, there is plenty of space.
From India Today:

Quote:
The "comfort" mode is more inclined to offer fuel economy while the 'dynamic' mode remaps the electronics and this results in a boost in performance which is prominently felt. Then thereis the '4wd' mode which turns the Hexa into a decent off roader and thanks to the LSD, the Hexa can take on quite a bit of challenge. On the downside, the manual version of the Hexa does feel a bit heavy to drive.
Digit:

Quote:
Tata has provided a 10.1 speaker arrangement on the Hexa. The JBL-powered speaker setup includes a multi-channel amplifier, a subwoofer to the rear, and ten speakers arranged strategically to give you a wholesome surround sound experience. One speaker is placed right in front at the median, while the rest are either door-mounted or arranged at angular positions. To begin with, the system is incredibly loud, draining out any noise from the engine at volume levels of 13.
Evo India:

Quote:
Almost every surface that you can touch is layered in a soft-touch plastic, in fact only the surround of the dials and the panel around the drive mode selector is hard scratchy plastic that earlier was the predominant material in a Tata cabin. The seats are particularly well finished, with inputs from a vendor that does seats for Mercedes-Benz – it is not only nicely bolstered and supportive but has neat perforation and even neater (white) stitching. The rear captain seats (the Hexa can be had in 6-seater and 7-seater layouts) are even better, with integrated armrests, so much so that my colleague Adil Darukhanawala who has just taken delivery of his new Innova Crysta proclaimed it to be better than on his new MPV. An added convenience is (manually adjustable) sunblinds for the middle row passengers.
Financial Express:

Quote:
In simple words, the torque is ample to move the two-tonne-plus MPV over paved terrain with utmost ease. For most of our driving duration on the highway, the Hexa was in the 1,500 to 3,000 rpm range and it returned an impressive figure of 13.1 km/l on the MID (or Multi Information Display). This engine has two transmission options, a 6-speed manual transmission which is exactly the same as found in the Storme and a Punch Powerglide Strasbourg 6-speed automatic transmission. It is a torque converter unit, but this gearbox is well tuned for the engine. The engine noise doesn’t filter much into the cabin, partly due to the good Noise, Vibration & Harshness (NVH) proofing. While most torque converters have the inherent issue of shift shocks, this automatic is one of the most refined units we have driven so far.
Carwale:

Quote:
The only catch is – and we are talking about the manual here – the lag before the variable geometry turbocharger reaches maximum boost. The manual Hexa feels lethargic and heavy and unwilling till the rpm needle crosses the 2,000rpm mark. Beyond this, and before the engine hits 3,500rpm, the Hexa is on song. It pulls strongly, reacts well to throttle inputs and the engine sounds and feels reasonably refined. Past 3,500rpm, however, things get loud and a bit vibey. The good news is, the acceleration still refuses to let off, and the Hexa continues to gather momentum without bother very close to its redline. It’s not a character one generally associates with large, heavy SUVs. It was pleasantly surprising.
ThrillOfDriving:

Quote:
Tata’s new HorizonNext philosophy is on display in many nuances. For instance, the door lock/unlock button is front-and-centre where either the driver or passenger can reach it. The reverse camera can be activated by a button without engaging reverse. The maps are co-developed with MapMyIndia and run off your smartphone. Little good decisions that add up to a nicer experience. Inside the vehicle, the dash is very smart to look at, maintaining an all-dark theme. Controls fall to hand easily and visibility of the infotainment system and driver binnacle is good. Plastics look better than they feel. Seats are a particular high point, being in leather with contrast stitching (another learning from upmarket stablemates). They’re nicely bolstered and quite generous in size, which should be a plus for the heavy-set. Headroom is ample, save for the third row, which is okay. The second row provides a lot of legroom.
AutoX:

Quote:
The engine is more refined than before, but tends to get noisy as the revs climb up. Despite the increase in power from the Aria, it feels a bit sluggish bearing the over two-tonne weight of the car. That being said, it’s easy to maintain three-digit speeds on the highway – and it feels fairly planted while cruising. This engine comes mated to a 6-speed manual as well as an automatic transmission. We drove the manual first and found it to be quite disappointing. The transmission is very rubbery and doesn’t slot into the desired gear with ease. Clutch action, though, is light – which should make it comfortable to drive in traffic. The 6-speed automatic transmission, on the other hand, came as quite a surprise. It shifts smoothly – whether in D, S or manual. In D, the car up-shifts quickly to stay in a lower gear in a bid to save fuel. The downside of this is evident when you’re going uphill – at which point you have to shift to Sport or Manual to drop a gear and extract more from the engine. Tata also has what it calls ‘Race mode,’ which can be activated by keeping the accelerator pedal pinned for a few seconds while in S. This allows the car to stay between 3,000-4,000rpm and somewhat negate the turbo lag.
Motoroids:

Quote:
If you’ve ever been inside an Aria and scorned at the austerity, you’re in for a surprise the minute you step inside the Hexa. It’s a cut, scratch that, two cuts above the Aria’s interiors. Inside, the Hexa exudes this distinct, upmarket charm that can be felt in the materials, the 50 Shades of Black colour palette, the multi-coloured mood lighting, and the way things have been put or sewn together. The new dashboard is all about straight lines, with rectangular vents and full sized, soft touch plastic inserts that mimic leather. A note of appreciation for the build quality. Honestly, with the Tiago, I was convinced that Tata Motors had outdone themselves as far as build quality goes. But the Hexa takes it a couple of notches higher.
DriveSpark:

Quote:
The second row is where you need to be, the captain seats are designed with best lumbar and thigh support. Seated on the captain seats with the armrest, the legroom to the headroom is ample and is comfortable for a long drive. While the second impresses, the third row is a bit of downer. With high knee position, the bench seat is good enough for a medium sized and not a big person like me. The headroom was barely enough as the roof line grazes over your head. Feet position for the third row does not let you move freely and could be a bane while travelling far and wide.
NDTV Auto:

Quote:
The Hexa with the manual gearbox gets the driving mode options that changes the amount of power and torque the engine makes. For example, in comfort mode, the engine makes 150 bhp of power and 320 Nm of torque while in the sport mode, the engine makes the full 156 bhp and 400 Nm of torque. Now while this might not be immediately apparent to the average consumer, there is a noticeable difference on how driver friendly the Hexa gets especially around the mid-range. The modes also change the ESP efficiency and traction control settings on the Hexa which means a little more leeway for spirited driving in the sport mode. There is also a ‘rough mode’ that is essentially an off-road mode that gives you better power at lower revs and a less intrusive ESP setting that gives you a lot more leeway when one (or more) of your wheels lack traction. Power delivery isn’t what we would call hectic and the clutch could have certainly been better in terms of both its overall feedback and free play. The Hexa is not what we would call fast though as with 2280kg of kerb weight to move around, it does take some time to get up to speed. But, its isn’t painfully slow either and once you do get it going, mid range performance, especially on a highway is impressive.
Zigwheels:

Quote:
There’s no getting away from it, the way the Aria tackles bad roads is very impressive. The 19-inch wheels make short work of lightly broken roads. The way the recalibrated suspension shrugs off bigger potholes and ditches is shocking at first. Tata say that the use of multivalve dampers has helped the suspension tackle off-road better while improving ride quality, too. No doubt, you can feel that at work on our roads, too. The chassis has also been made more rigid and this has helped tune the suspension better, too. The stiffer setup of the suspension at the rear has been done to make the Hexa more sporty to drive. What is apparent is that at highway speeds, it feels absolutely composed and does well to mask its size when being steered through traffic. However, if hustled hard you will feel the body roll, albeit in a controlled manner.
CarDekho:

Quote:
But, getting into a comfortable driving position was easy thanks to the eight-way adjustable driver's seat (that's not electric adjust, by the way) and the tilt adjust steering. The seating position is very SUV-like, where you tower over most vehicles on the road, and get a superb view out of the front windscreen. It is among the few cars that I can sit comfortably in, in all three rows. The third row space has been improved over the Aria and is genuinely usable now. Of course you still sit with your knees pointed towards the roof and headroom won’t be great for the taller passengers. But, then, there’s always the second row.

IAB:

Quote:
According to Tata Motors, the Hexa gets a ‘first in India’ patented curved LED taillights. The taillight element bends through the D-Pillar and looks quite attractive at night. The Hexa features a water wading depth of 450 mm according to Tata Motors. For reference, the Land Rover Discovery Sport (the Hexa is expected to cost a third of the Disco Sport) can handle a maximum of 600 mm.
TheQuint's video review:

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st October 2016 at 23:15.
RavenAvi is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 22:47   #1202
BHPian

Tata HEXA First Look..

MotorBeam

Motor Trend India

Last edited by kalleo4 : 21st October 2016 at 23:03.
kalleo4 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 22:48   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Amazing! Really glad to hear that Hexa drives and rides well.

That video of the camouflaged Hexa under testing comes to my mind. That one was really moving on the highway!

Looks like Tata has worked really hard on this one. Kudos to them.

And thanks for this pleasant surprise!
deetjohn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 22:49   #1204
BANNED

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Just checked out the ET Now Show. Wasn't surprised by any of the things said; maybe because we out here are already armed with so much information.

All credits to the channel and Autocar India Show.

Some take aways;

a. Leather and soft plastics on the dashboard

b. Rear seats with decent space, but not a lot for taller people.

c. Notchy gearshifts (reminded me of the 5-speed on the Storme). It also dances around on the zoomed shot of the center console.

d. Steering is heavy at low speeds. (Just like the car whose name can't be told ��)

e. Auto was the choice over manual. Quick to respond, but Renuka found a reason to complain on the responsiveness too.

f. The ride quality is plush and comfortable. The cabin is well insulated. Typical of Tata's I guess.

Seemed to be quite good, an "emphatic yes" given by the show.

P.S. Thanks to the mods and Adi/ Vid - you guys gave all of us a lot of weekend cheer.

Last edited by methecupid : 21st October 2016 at 23:03. Reason: removing images from video. The video link should be sufficient.
methecupid is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 23:07   #1205
BHPian

Tata? Reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Disclaimer:
I am no Toyota lover. In fact, hate their egoistic behaviour which they display wrt their pricing.
OTOH, I have a soft corner for TATA motors. Love their passion and dedication which they have shown from Zest onwards.
- - - - - - -- - -
Now coming to the point:
All those who are comparing Crysta with other cars should not forget why majority still prefer the Innova despite the high pricing. No, its not the features or less niggles in initial period. It's simply the long lasting nature of their cars (their engines, mostly).

A customer who is buying a car for running lakhs and lakhs of kms will honestly be willing to pay a couple of lakhs more if he has the surity that this car will be able to do so without breaking a sweat. A proven track record of reliability highly matters.

Have came across numerous Innova taxis having odo reading anywhere between 1 lakh to 3 lakh kms without any engine overhaul.

I feel this is a important ground which TATA Motors has to cover i.e. Long term reliability which only time will tell.
Their Indica and Indigo days plays a spoilsport here (maybe Sumo too) where as for Toyota, its the other way around as people still do remember the Qualis (for all the good reasons).
I beg to differ here. And to support this I'm quoting an old post of mine, with an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post

...While at the Service Centre, I met the owner/driver of an Indigo CS cab. The man was working for Uber and was quite happy with them, especially the remunerations. I was amazed at the way he had maintained his car ... it was gleaming, without a scratch ( a rare sight in Delhi these days) and had clean, well appointed interiors with spotless white terry fabric seat covers and footmats without a speck of dust on them. What amazed me even more was the fact that his car had crossed 2.5L kms (that's what he claimed) and was soon closing on 3 L kms ! He said that he had had no trouble whatsoever with the engine and the car performed flawlessly! He said that he always got the car serviced at authorised service centres at the appointed intervals and had had a long association with Narain Singh and Sons. He claimed that throughout the ownership period, which was close to five years, the car had never given him any trouble whatsoever ! This, kind of reaffirmed my faith on Tata !

Cheers !
On one of my routine service visits to get my car serviced, I again ran into this taxi driver, with the same car. I asked him, how much had the car clocked in total since we last met.

Any guesses?

Six Lakh Kilometres !

I looked incredulously at the SA, who happened to be standing alongside, and he affirmed the statement.

This is a taxi guy who clocks innumerable miles day in and day out, driving his car much more what the ordinary car owner does.

His ride of choice was a humble Indigo CS DICOR.

Why the Indigo, I asked him.

He told me that it was sturdy, reliable (which came as a surprise, having been fed on the lore of unreliability of TATA products) and what's more , it was cheap to maintain , even from the authorised A$$.

Now here was a nondescript taxi driver, trying to eke out a living in a highly competitive and cutthroat metro of India, sharing his experiences with me (while he kept a watchful eye on the work being done on his breadwinner - the unpretentious TATA being his sole means of livelihood).

He, I gathered from our interaction, is almost as fanatic as some of the members of our forum here in caring for his car. And maybe because of that (or the inherent sturdiness of TATA cars? I may be speculating here) his car is still going strong after all the insane amount of kilometres racked up!

The SA told me about yet another Manza that regularly turned up at the worksop for routine maintenance. This particular car's odo was in excess of 2 and a half lakh kilometres.

So allow me to disagree with you. Reliability and TATA are not exactly two opposing poles. You have to allow for the fact that they have entered the passenger car market only in 1998, a mere 18 years ago, and yet they are already producing top-notch cars that are right up there with the offerings from established behemoths of the automotive industry, some with a legacy going back more than a century! In fact, after the recent launches of Bolt, Zest and more recently, the Tiago, they have raised the bar for the industry in terms of value for money as well as reliability. The numerous ownership reports bear silent testimony to this fact.

Cheers !

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd October 2016 at 01:23. Reason: Excessive space edited.
Ironhide is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 23:10   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639;4079331
[B
Interiors:[/b]

- This was the biggest surprise to us...and a very pleasant one . The interiors are a huge departure from earlier Tata cars.

- All-black cabin gets a big thumbs up from us. There are soft touch plastics on all doors and the dashboard. The chrome rings look fab as they are smoked chrome (not the normal shiny chrome).
Thank you for putting the quick review. I was there in the hotel for another function and happened to see the car. One thing I thought was that the stitching quality of the seats was not up to the market. The straight line stitiching and the fitment don't look like a factory fitted seat cover. It appears more like an after market fitment. Have you also noticed this or was it there only in some cars. I was comparing it with the Ford quality. The Endy or for that matter the first generation Fiesta (Classic ) seat covers will not even give you a feeling that it as a cover, rather it appears like a natural single layer seat.

Secondly If you want to compare with Endeavour 2.2, what's your take. (Especially after the recent price cut from Endy). The 2.2 4X4 MT (2.2 AT trend) at 23.87 and it should not be way ahead for Hexa or for that matter Crysta. When I was looking from that angle, I could not able to convince myself that even if this is going to be 5 Lakhs cheaper than Endy, will it overtake the VFM price tag .
Old 21st October 2016, 23:26   #1207
Distinguished - BHPian

Overdrive review:

Quote:
Tata says it has worked on refinement, and the engine is noticeably smoother than the Aria’s. The slow-revving diesel still hasn’t reached Hyundai levels of refinement, but it’s a clear step ahead. Despite the big numbers, this car will not set any acceleration records thanks to the hefty near 2.3-tonne kerb weight on the top-end automatic variant. That said, it is an effortless highway cruiser, reaching 140kmph easily and with enough poke to go even further. However, what really impresses is the new 6-speed automatic gearbox. Being Tata’s first automatic, not counting the Zest AMT, the company wisely reached out to a specialist. The 6-speed torque converter from German-brand Punch Powertrain impresses with smooth responses and feels perfectly tuned to the nature of the vehicle.
CarBlogIndia review:

Quote:
Turn on the ignition and note how my diesel heart settles into a dull, almost inaudible hum. I am pretty sure you would appreciate the light clutch action. By the way, opting for the excellent 6-speed automatic transmission brings on some added convenience. Okay, there’s some turbo lag below, say, 1,400 RPM, but there’s nothing a neat shove to the gas pedal can’t cure, no? Also, the lag isn’t as pronounced as on some of my rivals. Also, with as much as 400NM of torque available at as low as 1,700 RPM, it’s fairly easy for me to trod along at city speeds without requiring frequent gearshifts. Out on the highways, I can keep up even with some bigger, more expensive cars. 100 KMPH can be hit in third gear and a speedo-indicated should make the boy racer in you grin from ear to ear. What’s more? Your loved ones are sure to fall in love with my mile-munching capabilities. Expressways are where I’m in my element.
Girish Wagh, Sr. Vice President, Passenger Vehicle Business, Tata Motors, speaking to ET Auto about the Hexa:

RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 23:29   #1208
BHPian

I watched the ACI video review and three main points that they highlighted were:
  1. Will they recommend this car to a premium buyer? YES.
  2. The manual gearbox is notchy and mars the overall experience to a certain extent.
  3. Auto box is eager and uplifts the overall driving experience.
Verdict on their portal:

"Yes, there are a few rough edges and the engineering finesse falls short of the best global standards, but as a standalone product in our market, the Hexa is hugely impressive.

Attractive on the outside, well appointed on the inside and feature-loaded, the Hexa strikes a chord at many levels
. The big Tata is a supremely comfortable family car and the lavish use of high-grade materials delivers a sense of luxury that would certainly appeal to premium car buyers.

We’d give the manual gearbox version a pass and go for the auto instead. It’s not got the 4x4 hardware but as an everyday vehicle it’s easily the better pick.

We expect prices for the Hexa to be in the region of Rs 12.5-18 lakh, which is expensive as Tatas go, but when you see what the money gets you too, you won’t be disappointed. Tata Motors has thrown all it can into the Hexa and its genuinely worth buying."
PraNeel is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 23:30   #1209
BHPian

Review by EvoIndia: http://evoindia.com/?p=8961

Review by CarandBike: http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/tata-hexa-review-1477484

Review by financialexpress: http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...review/426191/
kalleo4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 23:32   #1210
BHPian

Re: Tata? Reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
I beg to differ here. And to support this I'm quoting an old post of mine, with an update.
It's great to hear someone praising Tata products from Indica/Indigo days. But please note that what I stated was merely based on what I have mostly heard or seen. I neither own a Toyota nor a Tata. Sure they have improved leaps and bounds but my last post was merely in context with the Crysta and why it's overpriced.
And as i said, I'm a Tata fanboy myself willing to see them gather greater market share than what they have today.

Quote:
On one of my routine service visits to get my car serviced, I again ran into this taxi driver, with the same car. I asked him , how much had the car clocked in total since we last met.

Six Lakh Kilometres !

Such posts do bring in joy. Was he able to achieve this figure without any engine overhaul?

Last edited by Sherlocked : 21st October 2016 at 23:42.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 23:49   #1211
BHPian

Re: Tata? Reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
It's great to hear someone praising Tata products from Indica/Indigo days. But please note that what I stated was merely based on what I have mostly heard or seen. I neither own a Toyota nor a Tata. Sure they have improved leaps and bounds but my last post was merely in context with the Crysta and why it's overpriced.
And as i said, I'm a Tata fanboy myself willing to see them gather greater market share than what they have today.

Such posts do bring in joy. Was he able to achieve this figure without any engine overhaul?
That's what he told me - none whatsoever.

And he planned to use the car for another 100,000, post which he planned to sell it !

Asked him about his future plans.

He said it will be a TATA, and in all probability an Indigo CS again (though for the life of me I couldn't figure out why, with the availability of Zest, Manza and, in the none too distant future, maybe the yet to be launched Kite!)

Cheers !
Old 22nd October 2016, 00:13   #1212
BHPian

The reason for the AT to be sprightly and easier to handle is because it's a 2wd. The 4x4 suffers from sluggish acceleration and it is the same in the 400nm Storme. But for the not so smooth gearbox the manual Hexa will be much quicker off the line and also better to drive compared to the 4x4.
damodar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 00:53   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Seeing the excitement on this thread over the past few days, we thought of sharing a sneak preview on the Tata Hexa before our comprehensive review goes live;
Thanks Vid for sharing the sneak peek; it would surely help calm our nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Tata have really gone all out with the Hexa and it shows. As a product, there is little to fault with it. It's actually better than the segment leader Innova Crysta in some aspects and matches it in some.

There are only 2 things that can prevent this car from becoming a success.
The above statements says it all. Thumbs-up from our mods means a lot. A big clap to Tata Motors for creating such a wonderful "Xover". Please grab this opportunity and make it another Tiago success story.
Old 22nd October 2016, 03:22   #1214
BHPian

Tata Hexa Review - Motor Octane

kalleo4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 03:33   #1215
BHPian

Looks like a great effort by Tata. As mentioned by everyone, pricing would be key. Sidenote: Did they straight-up use the gear levers from 07 / 09 Range Rovers? Wonder what other components from JLR they used?
Also, if they could market the use of common Daimler upholsterers, why not market the use of common JLR parts?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-2010landroverrangeroversport4wd4doorhsegearshift_100248030_l.jpg  

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexaxtaatgearreview.jpg  

Last edited by mkaysaw : 22nd October 2016 at 03:36.
mkaysaw is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed