Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2016, 08:13   #1261
BANNED

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

As per Rush lane.
"Important point to note is that the ride quality for passengers on all three rows is impressive." Thumps up for Tata for well tunned chassis and suspension.
johnjojo08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 11:39   #1262
BHPian

So at last Tata seems to be hitting all the right notes with their new models. First the Tiago and now the Hexa seem to be meeting or even exceeding expectations. Though the time taken to launch each vehicle is really long, at least the final product makes the wait worth it. Now I hope these vehicles prove to be niggle free and get rid of the perception that Tata vehicles, especially from the initial batch have a lot of quality niggles. If the Hexa manages to consistently sell around 2000 units a month it will go a long way in clearing the negativity surrounding the Tata brand currently.
Old 23rd October 2016, 11:56   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Add 6 healthy, well-fed adults to the kerb weight of the Hexa, and we are talking about a gross weight near the 2.8-2.9 ton mark, which would bring the power-to-weight & torque-to-weight ratios even further down. This doesn't mean that casual driveability and normal, everyday performance is bad, but it means that for an aggressive driver or for an enthusiast, the Hexa might not end up as a first choice.

As for other factors, fuel efficiency, braking and instant in-gear acceleration will definitely be affected. Proportionately, more of the load, lesser of these listed.
Fail to understand the math mate.
With 6 ppl plus, and a gross weight of 2.9Tn (620Kg),
The power-to-weight and torque-to-weight ratios of Hexa are 53.8 and 138 respectively
XUV will have 56.5 and 133 and
Innova will have 62 and 141 respectively.
Shouldn't an enthusiast find the Hexa having better drivability with more load, since the gear ratios will be tuned for higher weight and the drop in performance relatively lower than other options?

My experience with both Safari and Innova is similar to that shared by PrasannaDhana, on-load performance drop on the Safari is very negligible compared to Innova. Same is the case with fuel efficiency and tyre life, where our Safari bettered the Innova. My only gross with the Safari's weight is on the life of suspension, where our Innova was trouble free.

But me being from Kerala with fast moving two lane traffic predominantly, and after being in multiple accidents, would feel safer in a heavy vehicle with thick panels like the Hexa over a lighter vehicle when I see oncoming fast lorries.
channelv is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 12:19   #1264
BHPian

Many have said in this and other forum over and over again, heavier car does not mean safer car..You want to be in a car with good crumple zones and safe passenger compartment than in with thicker / heavier doors.
Old 23rd October 2016, 12:56   #1265
BHPian

Well, the Hexa seems to provide BOTH good crumple zones,safe compartment AND heavier metal.
Isn't this a plus point or maybe its USP over its rivals?
The drop in performance with the increased weight may not exactly be downer either. 0-100 in 12.x is still pretty fast for a full-size SUV crossover.

This will hold good for more than 90% of the target customers, especially with a 3-year warranty and AMC packages.

Whichever way you look at Hexa, if it is priced right and if Tata improves its sales & service experience, this one is a winner and a potential blockbuster.
Old 23rd October 2016, 15:52   #1266
BHPian

As reported by almost all reviewers I feel that in spite of taking so much time to launch/pre-launch it, Tata has already got 2 out of the 3 major areas flawed

1. Gearbox - The manual gearbox is rubbery/notchy and not smooth. This is a big downer as it directly affects driving experience.

2. Space - In spite of being the longest, actual space utilization is poor and irritable (e.g. last row does not fold flat, heck even the middle row doesn't fold flat). As a 7 seater SUV owner this would bother me ...a Lot! The usable space is not symmetrical and I wonder when you pile in say 4 plane cargo luggage (23-30kgs) what is the impact of that going to be on the last row seats (since it does not fit flush) does the seat take support on the neck-rests while folded.

3. Now what could be the third? Price of course and the current course of statements makes me feel they will price it above the XUV. This actually is in line with the overall Tata sales mindset , they always compare the Storme with the XUV.

Lets see.

Cheers,
Trojan

Last edited by Trojan : 23rd October 2016 at 15:53. Reason: error
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:03   #1267
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There are only 2 things that can prevent this car from becoming a success.
The company also needs to get some place in the minds of the buying public. With genius Mayank Pareek at the helm of affairs, I'm optimistic, but they need to work very hard.

Take a look at the Google Search Trends for the 4 important premium UV launches this year. Except for a spike when the reviews came out, brand Tata Hexa trails all the other big launches of 2016.

Hexa needs to carve out some mind space. You'll be surprised how many people don't even know that a car named the Tata Bolt exists today; even for those who do, they rarely remember it when shortlisting hatchbacks for a purchase. Most of my neighbours think that my best friend's shiny red Bolt (always parked outside) is 'some Indica'. On the other hand, everyone knows the Maruti Baleno and few confuse it with a Swift.

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-untitled.png

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2016 at 16:06.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:08   #1268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
3. Now what could be the third?
Quality is very good, specially by TATA standards, but not perfect yet.

http://m.overdrive.in/news/2016-tata...-drive-review/

Quote:
Our concern, once more, lies with longevity. We were given two cars. I spent most of the day with the automatic, and Rohit shot for TV with the manual. My car had done 1,700km while his had clocked just over 4,000km. Fit and finish is vastly improved across the board and while up to the mark in most areas, it is still lacking in a few. The cooled glove box, for example, uses a flimsy feeling clasp and both cars were already showing micro-scratches in the piano black trim. The black cladding on the rear bumper of Rohit's Hexa was already unevenly fading into into an unsightly grey. Then, in the middle of the shoot, the tweeter in the rear left door of the manual Hexa fell out of its socket
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexa1.jpg

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexa2.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd October 2016 at 16:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:12   #1269
BHPian

Saw the Hexa today in Hyderabad and the design sure has road presence and can't be compared to the Crysta. It looks more like some GM or Ford truck based American SUV. Took a video while I was there.

Last edited by damodar : 23rd October 2016 at 16:27.
damodar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:11   #1270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Take a look at the Google Search Trends for the 4 important premium UV launches this year. Except for a spike when the reviews came out, brand Tata Hexa trails all the other big launches of 2016.

Hexa needs to carve out some mind space. You'll be surprised how many people don't even know that a car named the Tata Bolt exists today; even for those who do, they rarely remember it when shortlisting hatchbacks for a purchase. Most of my neighbours think that my best friend's shiny red Bolt (always parked outside) is 'some Indica'. On the other hand, everyone knows the Maruti Baleno and few confuse it with a Swift.
Exactly, most of the people I know have not idea about a car called Aria. Many, who know about Tata cars, will only speak about negatives without even having first hand experience with them.

The other day I booked a cab through Uber and got message that Tata Indigo is on the way. My colleague immediately asked me if I am going to cancel it and rebook to get another car. I am glad I did not listen to him because Indigo has reading lights for all seats and I spent next 1.5 his reading a book which was impossible in any other car of that category.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:14   #1271
BHPian

All reviews complain about the manual GB. Some say it is rubbery, some say it is impossible to find gears ! Now, what was TATA testing all these years ? That 10 Speaker HK sound system ? What about that third row that does not fold flat ? Shame on them ! I am losing hope. If a manufacturer cannot get something as basic as the gearshift quality right (even after years of testing), they better do something else. I sincerely hope the reviewers were trying to nitpick and the box is not as bad as it is written all over the internet. If it is, then I doubt even God can save TATA.

Just the other day I sent a link to this thread to one of my friends who is also an enthusiast. He went through the pics and immediately came the reply "Looks good, but it is still a TATA". Then I had a heated argument with him about unnecessarily ridiculing TATA. Now, if the reviewers are going to keep complaining about the MT, he will come back to me with a VERY VALID justification. If a GB is bad, change it. They had enough time (and some more) to do that and test the car. They were not in a hurry to launch the car anyway.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:17   #1272
BHPian

Going through all the reviews pouring in, I can see where this is going. AT has clearly proven to be superior compared to MT. Tata will price Hexa deliciously. As a result, XTA variant will attract maximum attention and hence maximum bookings.

And then Tata will have all sorts of trouble trying to source the automatic transmission resulting in long waiting period for this variant. Eventually all those interested in Hexa will jump ships to XUV / Innova.

If not done already Tata should start stocking as many ATs they can get their hands on. It would be ridiculous to listen to one or the other bottleneck stories again.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:49   #1273
BHPian

I am amazed to see the emotions around here, esp. on things that are very subjective and that people haven't probably seen/felt for themselves. I don't understand why people bring what's written on other forums (when we very well know that there are whole lot of people that don't like Tata and biased). Right now, I am talking about the manual gearbox and I will go by what Vid wrote until I have the chance to check it out myself:

"Manual gearbox isn't as slick as the Innova Crysta's, but is better than the XUV500's. The throws are long and will be a stretch for shorter drivers to operate. It also requires some strength to put into reverse. There is some amount of vibration too. The clutch is light, but springy and lacks feel."

So, with my trust on team-bhp reviewers high, I can deduce that the gear shift is not that bad. Yes, it is not perfect, but better than at least one of its competition.

Those who are seriously looking at buying a car (not those, like us, who have nothing to lose) will know that they will always have to compromise on something. There's no such thing as a perfect car.

Unrelated to the gearbox issue, it also looks to me that people are more keen on just posting something than bothering to be factual and write paragraphs completely on speculation. As a reader, I am raising it because the experience is just not pleasant.
prakash_ajp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:53   #1274
Senior - BHPian

"- Manual gearbox isn't as slick as the Innova Crysta's, but is better than the XUV500's. The throws are long and will be a stretch for shorter drivers to operate. It also requires some strength to put into reverse. There is some amount of vibration too. The clutch is light, but springy and lacks feel."

This is what our Team-Bhp pre-review has to say about the MT. So I don't think all is lost for the MT. And maybe they will take this point of concern seriously before launch.
Old 23rd October 2016, 18:16   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The company also needs to get some place in the minds of the buying public. With genius Mayank Pareek at the helm of affairs, I'm optimistic, but they need to work very hard.

Attachment 1569631
While still an area of improvement, I think this is a bit unfair comparison. All other products have been available in the market for quite sometime and hence people would search these products for buying purpose, issues with existing car, mods, etc.

In case of Hexa it is not available yet for purchase and hence not a good enough reason for many to search for it. I think Jan / Feb is when we will see a real spike once it officially gets launched with prices.

Case is point is the following comparison between Tata Tiago, Maruti Celerio, Hyundai i10 and Ford Figo. Tata Tiago seems to be doing well.

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-car-search.png

Also, Hexa seems to be slightly ahead of XUV500 as of now.
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-hexa-search.png

Last edited by damager21 : 23rd October 2016 at 18:18.
damager21 is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks