Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2016, 14:40   #1306
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
CarWale says the Hexa is good, not great. And why? Vikrant Singh gives three reasons - a) not the best off-roader b) no keyless entry/start and no electrical seat adjustments c) engine lacks character & refinement one associates with a luxury offering.

So, there is criticism that the cross-over isn't a mountain goat. Amusing, because cross-overs are not meant to be that. Then, he feels that as a package, the lack of keyless entry & electrical seat adjustment is sufficient cause to downgrade the Hexa from great to just good. What pushes the quality of such a review down to nearly useless is that there are no details whatsoever on what is meant by "lacking in character", or in what terms or conditions did the engine "lack in refinement". I really feel sorry for the kind of content these reviewers churn.
What annoys me the most is after blurting out all that non-sense, they still get away with it. But all it takes from the reader is some common sense to see it for what it us. Their modus operandi is this:
  • to pick something that is very subjective (and can't be proven one way or other easily without some scientific method), such as the engine refinement, handling etc.
  • To cherry-pick features in comparison with their favorites
  • Conveniently ignore pricing point
One of the reasons most of us like it here, just put down all the details and let people decide for themselves.
Old 24th October 2016, 14:49   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Tata said they've tested the car at -20° C to +50° C right. I would like to know then why they recommend mineral oil thats rated at 15W40 ?

Did they test the car with that oil at -20° C ?

I don't want to confront, so I'll just ask you a question. Does allegedly having 3rd hand impressions about service, give you the right to undermine our own first hand ones ?

Wait till you're told to get your car's failed brakes repaired only with the dealer you bought your car from.

Wait till fake job cards & fake feedback forms are made for your car, not once, 3 times.

Wait till you're sold an AMC for 5 years and they trickily with-hold the booklet even after visiting them thrice to collect the same, and they deny service after the 3rd year.

*I have 3-4 more proper examples with documented proof but I guess you get the idea, so I'll stop here*

Tata Motors, even till date, DOES have issues in managing internal controls of their service center. They've even stopped tracking down issues using post-service feedback calls since the past 3 years for me & some of my friends.

I'm fairly known maybe by a few in this forum for my experiences with Tata as a car owner, as well as with the company. I often DO recommend them too, but I keep it real.

Believe me, you don't want to pay them 20L and then have regrets. Because if things go south, by the time you open your eyes, your problems won't have vanished, they'll have doubled. This is why we're discussing things here, whichever the brand. So that we know what precautions we need to take before we place our families in that piece of metal called cars.
With due respect to your findings about tata i would like to tell all that Tata doesnt entertain these kind of practices from the Fraudlent dealers. Infact TATA has discontinued many such dealers.
Coming to the stories you heard, i have heard similar stories with all other manufacturers, be it Skoda or Mahindra where recently a customer was shot dead and also for maruti and hyundai. So lets keep these isolated stories at Bay than generalizing it.
I am using a Safari since 4 years and own a Maruti as well as other brands. So far i havent faced any issues with TATA dealerships.
Yes they were a bit lagging when it came to processes and transparency few years back. The horizon next bought a radical change in the way TATA operates now.
You can download the TMSC app on our mobile and book your appointments, see the service history, see the maintenance cost and complaint online directly to TATA. Once your car is at service centre timely update on the status of your car is visible in the customer lounges due to the RFID tags they use.
I have myself experienced how surprisingly the changes took place in 1.5 years. Tata provides a Robust warranty and a AMC which takes care of all the customer worries. Tata is taking it very seriously when it comes to its new product line up. Couple of friends who bought Tiago are so happy. They are given out of the world treatment and service. Couple of times the TATA service centre guys gave a visit to their homes to explain the features etc and make sure they are not facing any issues.

I seriously think if someone is improving we should encourage it and not pacify people who are keen to experience Tata by past stories or heresays.
amit_mechengg is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 14:51   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I don't want to confront, so I'll just ask you a question. Does allegedly having 3rd hand impressions about service, give you the right to undermine our own first hand ones ?
If you read my post, this is what I too have mentioned that it's a mixed bag. I have spoken to 3 people and 2 of them had a different one (albeit pleasant one) while the third had a bad experience inspite of being a TML employee. So that pretty much asserts what you are saying anyway. I have not and never will, exercise any "right to undermine" your experiences but was putting my experience of talking to different people about their experiences. Hope you don't undermine that

Also there is nothing in my post to be taken personally. There are many out there who always go by "hearsay" and that is sample set I am talking about. Hope this clears the air a bit

EDIT - Missed mentioning one point. the 3 people I spoke to are either family or very close friends and not random people owning a TATA and so I have posted the details. There are many cabbies I have spoken to as well but they may or may not be true which is specifically why I have not posted them here. Also such cases are there across manufacturers though the numbers could be a bit here and there

Last edited by centaur : 24th October 2016 at 14:57. Reason: added additional info
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 15:00   #1309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
With due respect to your findings about tata i would like to tell all that Tata doesnt entertain these kind of practices from the Fraudlent dealers. Infact TATA has discontinued many such dealers.
Coming to the stories you heard, i have heard similar stories with all other manufacturers, be it Skoda or Mahindra where recently a customer was shot dead and also for maruti and hyundai. So lets keep these isolated stories at Bay than generalizing it.
These are not stories. All These are issues I've myself gone through. Neither of the 2 dealer's or service advisors have faced any action or even questions despite me giving Tata all the proof required.

I have the app. I did report fake job card based on the app screenshot, the cars picture, the odometer reading actually on car as against on app. All to no avail. Anyway.

I'm NOT trying to bash Tata. Please do read my previous posts & comments. Hexa is an extremely competent car & I really DO hope that Tata takes it to its potential.

Yes, there undeniably is more transparency now. That's one of the reason I believe TASS is manageable, yet I recommend people to just be careful.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 24th October 2016 at 15:24.
GrammarNazi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 15:09   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
The seat cushion is what prevents the back rest from folding flat and not the cup holders as mentioned by reviewers. It seems from this pic that the head rests also have enough clearance (may be due to captain seats moved forward). We will get clarity once TBHP review is live
Attachment 1570105

You are right. It isn't flat
Not sure. But it does look like the headrests are still there. Probably best to wait for the official review here!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-hexa-1.jpg  

Old 24th October 2016, 15:21   #1311
BHPian

The only way the 3rd seat would have folded fully flat is if there had been a "well" in the floor of the 3rd seat. This is where the seat would fully fold in AND also give extra legroom for the 3rd seat occupants. Clearly that is not there, so there is no way there will be a full flat boot.

I have seen this on US cars like Honda Odyssey & Chrysler Town & Country which I drove around in this summer.
Old 24th October 2016, 15:31   #1312
BHPian

Regarding the last row not folding down flat: I think it is the contour of the seat cushions and the angle between the back and the bottom that are preventing a flat fold. I guess the designers chose passenger comfort over luggage convenience. If I have third row passengers most of the time, I would definitely prefer the added comfort of a nicely contoured and angled seat for my passengers (especially since the third row passengers would be kids, more often than not).

Last edited by Enobarbus : 24th October 2016 at 15:33.
Enobarbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 16:30   #1313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
What pushes the quality of such a review down to nearly useless is that there are no details whatsoever on what is meant by "lacking in character", or in what terms or conditions did the engine "lack in refinement". I really feel sorry for the kind of content these reviewers churn.
That is from an article posted by Carwale in which they have pointed out why pricing could be crucial for the Hexa's success, and from which I have quoted from, which you are unnecessarily bashing.

If you went back to page 81 of this thread (post 1201 (Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016)), you would notice that Carwale has published a separate, full review of the Hexa, the conclusion of which is:

Quote:
There are clearly more reasons to buy the Tata Hexa than to avoid it. The only real negatives that come to mind are poor stowage options upfront, no keyless start, and possibly for city dwellers, the sheer length of the car. It measures almost 4.8 metres. The positives – road presence, ride and handling, feature list, safety kit, and a nice sounding audio system, besides technology that includes driving modes, all wheel drive and an up-to-date automatic gearbox. So, yes, the Tata Hexa is certainly worth buying.

The Tata Hexa arrives in a space that has a total of one challenger. The Mahindra XUV500. But, the Hexa should also work as an alternative to D-segment sedans, the likes of the Hyundai Elantra and the Toyota Corolla. Now, as a product, the Hexa has things going for it, no doubt – space, comfort, butch appeal, flexibility and features. But, it isn’t the best crossover or SUV out there, or the perfect sedan alternative. However, Tata Motors can certainly make it very enticing and a brilliant value proposition but pricing it well. So, for both Tata and Hexa’s sake, I hope the carmaker plays the right price card.
My suggestion - read the full review first.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 16:58   #1314
BHPian

this Picture of TataHEXA with its reviewer next to it, Does Echo the comments of most of the Reviews.. that Its quite HUGE!

Source: Motown Review (Youtube)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-scale.jpg  

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexavsmahindraxuv500vstoyotainnovacrystacomparo.jpg  

kalleo4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 17:59   #1315
BHPian

Quite a few folks here have been discussing of reliability/product quality of Hexa in the long run. Some fans have quoted Cyurs Mistry's public reprimand of sorts towards its suppliers. Surprise Surprise!! Cyrus Mistry is no more the chairman of Tata Group. Ratan N Tata is back at the helm, albeit temporarily. With this, one wonders if this abrupt change in leadership will cause change in launch schedule (mostly not!), pricing (maybe, aggressive leader, aggressive pricing) and most importantly - product quality (the guy who vendors probably started to fear is now not to be worried about!).
OrangeCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 18:06   #1316
BHPian

All these reviews are confusing. I will wait for our T-BHP review which is one of the most comprehensive well written reviews. All other seem to be half baked and written with a certain mindset, meant to beat a deadline.

On the other note Cyrus Mistry is out and looks like the old hands have managed to get the more dynamic Mistry out. Guess it will be back to the old ways again
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 18:08   #1317
Senior - BHPian

With all the mixed reviews from various portals and magazines i have started feeling that these guys really dont think deep into the technicalities.
I have driven XUV quite well and having the benchmark of how aria behaves XUV is not even close to the ride quality and body roll of ARIA. The xuv when taken over undulations or the flyovers sways so badly and the rear bounces multiple times like a boat. Aria and the Storme go flawlessly over these.

Secondly all these reviewers clearly dont understand the basic difference between XUV gear and Hexa gear lever. Xuv as horizontal engine and geabox sits under the bonnet and the gear lever is attached Via linkages.
I pray to god that they give some sense to these auto journalists to understand that on Hexa the engine is verical to the body, you sit on the gearbox and the gear lever is directly mounted on the gearbox, obviously these will cause vibrations.

Yes i do agree that the XUV engine is peppy, but it is too linear, you dont feel the boost or ride the boost, but yes the XUV is very fast on highways and downshifting is hardly required.

Cartoq feels tata should stiffen the suspensions and what not, but truly speaking TATA should stick to its suspensions, they are the benchmarks in ride quality and the best in the segment.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2016 at 22:10. Reason: Quoted post deleted
amit_mechengg is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 18:42   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
That is from an article posted by Carwale in which they have pointed out why pricing could be crucial for the Hexa's success, and from which I have quoted from, which you are unnecessarily bashing.
Pricing is a crucial factor for almost 95% of the cars and Hexa is no different. Some of the of the likes of Innova,Fortuner and Creta are rare cars which have tasted success even with hefty price tag. But the with recent trend and purchasing power there is good amount of buyers who are willing to pay the premium if they perceive value for what they pay. So to me even with slight premium tag if Tata can offer extra value(which it does to me with the likes of 4x4/AT,Driving modes,good interiors,ride/handling etc) for the premium you pay, Hexa should still attract buyers. Again when Aria was launched the SUV market was quite small an the scene is lot more different today.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 19:06   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post

Secondly all these reviewers clearly dont understand the basic difference between XUV gear and Hexa gear lever. Xuv as horizontal engine and geabox sits under the bonnet and the gear lever is attached Via linkages.
I pray to god that they give some sense to these auto journalists to understand that on Hexa the engine is verical to the body, you sit on the gearbox and the gear lever is directly mounted on the gearbox, obviously these will cause vibrations.
Hi Amit,

I assume you mean that the XUV has a Transverse engine layout as would be conventional for a FWD vehicle and that the Hexa has a Longitudinal layout as would be conventional for an RWD vehicle.

At the risk of sounding slightly odd, I will say this, refinement shouldn't be a relative term i.e. as in saying the lever mounted on the gearbox will have more vibrations and reviewers should understand it.

If the Hexa has to compete with the XUV and do as well or better, it should match it or better it in the important areas.

I will not comment on the Ride and Handling part as I am not an expert and have not driven any of Tata's or Mahindra's high end vehicles extensively.

Once more apologies if I sound too strong

Last edited by nmenon : 24th October 2016 at 19:09. Reason: Proofin
nmenon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 21:18   #1320
BHPian

For the first time ever, I felt that the Autocar review was lack lustre and just plain boring, they were focussing too much on the turning radius and absolutely no content time was given to some of the unique bits spoken of by other reviewers. Seemed to be a TATA bashing mode or were they really disappointed?

Renuka was singing a completely different tune when she briefly reviewed the Hexa at the Auto Expo, then she was raving now she is no where close to even accepting the fact that the Hexa was a huge improvement from its basic underpinning the Aria.

Disappointed in almost all the reviews posted online, or I guess I just can't get over the unbiased Team-BHP reviewers and their in-depth words of truth.
lionell is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks