Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2016, 21:43   #1321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post

Renuka was singing a completely different tune when she briefly reviewed the Hexa at the Auto Expo, then she was raving now she is no where close to even accepting the fact that the Hexa was a huge improvement from its basic underpinning the Aria.

Disappointed in almost all the reviews posted online, or I guess I just can't get over the unbiased Team-BHP reviewers and their in-depth words of truth.

I felt the same way after I saw the autocar review of the hexa. She seemingly was happy at the interiors of the hexa at the Auto Expo and in the review she wasn't that impressed I guess. It seems she was trying hard to find the shortcomings of the car. But when I saw her review the Crysta innova she was all praise and even didn't find a single shortcoming. Autocar review looked plain dull and unenthusiastic whereas other reviews were solid and good enough. Now I'm waiting for the official tbhp review and the review of the 5' feet 10 inches tall guy from autoportal.
Vikvkv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 22:27   #1322
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Unlike some other cars who provide flat benches in the 3rd row, the Hexa comes with a 3rd row seat which has some backside support on either side, thereby giving a better cushioned feeling to the 3rd row passenger when they sit down.

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-tatahexa3rdrowseats7seater.jpg

Such seats don't fold flat, even if the headrests are removed. The padded contours on the sides of the seat won't allow them to rest absolutely flat on the seat bench.

Given the amount of padding on the 3rd row seat, it's a wonder that it can fold to an extent of almost 90% of it's forward folding travel. Great work by the Hexa's cabin engineers.

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-img_9406copy.jpg

I would say Tata has done an excellent job of both - providing some bolstered support to the 3rd row passengers AND getting the seat backside to fold THAT much.

Images source: Rush Lane, Auto Blog India

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2016 at 07:43. Reason: Adding image source
RavenAvi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 23:05   #1323
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I would say Tata has done an excellent job of both - providing some bolstered support to the 3rd row passengers AND getting the seat backside to fold THAT much.
I kind of disagree with your statement as flat floor for the boot is essential for keeping luggage efficiently and safely. Fortuner manages by Tucking in the seats to the side. Mitsubishi for example folds the seat base up and the backrest down to give a flat floor. This is not really a remarkable achievement by Tata engineers, rather a cost cutting move by Tata.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 23:14   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Please define bad and better for our sake! You do agree that what we are talking about is subjective, right? If it is subjective, are you forming your opinion on someone else's judgement? If that's the case, that's clearly unnecessary and wrong too imo.

If the gearbox in XUV is worse, why does it not get reported? I am afraid you need the find the answer yourself. No amount of reading reviews, posting comments and discussing will really tell you the reality, if you really care to know, I.e..
Yes, it is subjective for sure. Clearly, "bad" depends on what you are ready to accept and at what price. But if reviews across the board complain about it, is it not evident that majority finds it not acceptable ? A "better" GB is one that does not allow you to complain. You should feel at home when you start driving it. These reviewers who have posted online have driven a lot of cars. So when all of them complain, there is no reason for me to believe that the shifts are smooth. I am really not bothered about the rest of the things they have pointed out.

Some of us here may have driving experience of over a hundred thousand kilometers and even more. We will have driven multiple cars. So we can easily relate to "getting used to" a GB. But the actual buyer who is ready to put down the money may not have experience with a lot of cars. He may be coming from a hatchback or a sedan. For him, not being able to slot gears properly during test drive may be a concern. His next test drive may be a Crysta and he will find it absolutely "better" than Hexa. Who loses here ?

Just to make it more clear, take the case of 3 mass market cars Swift, Figo and Vista. Transition from Swift to Figo is seamless. One can easily slot gears without a second thought. The gear changes are reassuring on both the cars. I have not driven a new i20, so I cannot compare with that. But now, transition from Figo to Vista or Swift to Vista is not that easy. Same goes for Swift to Punto and Figo to Punto. Most people start searching for gears. I myself have seen people who drive other hatchbacks drive my Vista and getting confused for the first few minutes. Yes, it is only a matter of getting used to, but all the buyers may not be ready for that. They are already going to walk in to a TATA showroom with a lot of apprehensions and they may not be forgiving. Toyota may still be able to get away with it, but not TATA. For TATA, the initial impression matters a lot.

No amount of reading reviews, discussions and posting comments will tell us the reality. But open forums are for discussions. As much as I believe that this is a good car with good quality interiors and good comfort (all of which are hearsay for the time being), I also believe that the shift quality is not up to the mark.
DieselAddikt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 23:46   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Unlike some other cars who provide flat benches in the 3rd row, the Hexa comes with a 3rd row seat which has some backside support on either side, thereby giving a better cushioned feeling to the 3rd row passenger when they sit down.

Such seats don't fold flat, even if the headrests are removed. The padded contours on the sides of the seat won't allow them to rest absolutely flat on the seat bench.

Given the amount of padding on the 3rd row seat, it's a wonder that it can fold to an extent of almost 90% of it's forward folding travel. Great work by the Hexa's cabin engineers.

From the picture, it looks like the head rests foul more with the seat folding flat than the side bolsters.
If the debate is about the second row folding, then yes. It's probably because of the way the seats are shaped.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-1477332753980.jpg  

Old 25th October 2016, 02:08   #1326
BHPian

More details from http://hexa.tatamotors.com

XE, XM - 16" steel wheels with 235/70 R16 tires
XT - 19" alloys with 235/55 R19 tires

In total 6 variants
XE / XM / XT / XMA / XTA / XT 4x4

XE, XM - 7 Seater Only
XT - 6 / 7 Seat option

XE - 2.2 LTR. VARICOR 320 with 150 PS@4000 (320 Nm@1700-2700)
XM, XT - 2.2 LTR. VARICOR 400 with 156 PS@4000 (400Nm@1700-2700)

XE - 5 Speed manual
XM, XT - 6 Speed manual / 6 Speed Automatic

(Source) All specifications updated - http://hexa.tatamotors.com/variants
viraj_s85 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 03:42   #1327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85 View Post
XE, XM - 16" steel wheels with 235/70 R16 tires
XT - 19" alloys with 235/55 R19 tires
The difference as seen with the help of a tyre size calculator. This is quite significant, and I guess the 16 inchers might give the Hexa superb ride quality.

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-screenshot_2016102503393922.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 04:06   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The difference as seen with the help of a tyre size calculator. This is quite significant, and I guess the 16 inchers might give the Hexa superb ride quality.

Attachment 1570304
My thoughts quite similar, 19 inch feels overkill to me.

Based on information provided XM variant should be good enough for City Use,

Here's the list whats missing in XM

Exterior:
Front fog lamps - Can be installed later
Daytime Running Lights (DRL) - Can be installed later
16 inch Steel Wheels - I feel better than 19' and can be updated to alloys

Tech-Package:
8 Speaker system (4 speakers + 4 tweeters) - Non JBL also missing Subwoofer - Can be updated
Cruise Control - I find it usable on highway runs but in city not much
3 Drive Modes - Auto, Comfort, Rough Road - Decent Enough
Automatic Headlamps (Light sensing) - Manageable without it
Rain Sensing Wipers - Manageable without it
Power Foldable ORVMs - Manageable without it

Safety:
Side & Curtain Airbags
Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with Roll-over Mitigation
Traction Control System
Hill Hold Control (HHC)
Hill Descent Control (HDC)
Hydraulic Brake Assist

Interior:
7 seater only - No Captain seat :(
USB charging (2nd row) - Aftermarket Chargers can solve the problem
Temperature Control (FATC) with Dual HVAC - Manual
Fabric Seat - Can be updated

Major components missing are safety features and Automatic Temperature Control, now need to see the difference between XM & XT
viraj_s85 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 06:48   #1329
BHPian

Without pricing, difficult to compare variants of Hexa with XUV500. But I feel XM of Hexa will be pitted against the W6 of the XUV500. Or at least that is where features seemed to point to.

Advantage Hexa XM over XUV500 W6:
1. 8 speakers vs 6 of XUV
2. 400NM of Torque vs 330NM (but then, 2280kg vs 1860kg kerb weight)
3. Multiple next gen smart phone apps (including a Navigation app)

Advantage XUV500 W6 over Hexa XM:
1. 7" screen on central console
2. Auto AC
3. Cruise Control
4. 70L fuel tank vs 60L of Hexa
5. Turning radius of 5.6m vs 5.75 m of Hexa
6. R17 radials vs. R16 of Hexa
7. Static bending lamps

This is what I could find by briefly skimming through both the websites (http://hexa.tatamotors.com/variants & http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/compar...?id=comp_model)

I did try to look for more Hexa advantages over XUV500. But couldn't find anything significant.

This makes feel Tata should undercut XUV price (which is approx 14L) by at least 60K to 1.2L, to make Hexa more appealing and seem VFM. This is w.r.t XM variant only.
OrangeCar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 08:00   #1330
BHPian

A couple of queries
1. XT has super drive modes and no torque on demand. I thought this was only available in 4x4. How will the option of rough road on a non 4x4 fare out?
2. Is the order of the variants mentioned in the drop down indicative of the pricing? Just guessing. XE, XM, XT, XMA, XTA, XT4x4
3. No mention of Isofix. So am I right in assuming its not there.
4. If I book XT and then in the future decide on XTA depending on the price and the test drives then do I get re-queued in the waiting line?
5. The pricing will be out on Tuesday (1st Nov) or only in Jan?
6. What could be a ball park service cost once a year? (Assuming 15k in a year)

Thanks.

Last edited by deevee : 25th October 2016 at 08:02.
Old 25th October 2016, 08:36   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
I did try to look for more Hexa advantages over XUV500. But couldn't find anything significant.
Off topic, but one big difference is Hexa is body on frame and the other is a monocoque.

I believe that Hexa's competition, and therefore its comparison, should be with Crysta and may be Xylo, as the latter two are also MPVs.

Tata should have developed and deployed a 2.5 or 2.8 litre unit for the Hexa. The stress put on that engine will be more and life of certain parts would be adversely affected, I feel.
Old 25th October 2016, 09:05   #1332
BHPian

What has changed overnight??? I did not see the top end manual 4x4 spec. This is a bummer. Any news of this coming et all?? Also the turning radius now is stated at 5.75

Storme - 5.4 & Aria is 5.6. What have the Hexa guys been smoking?? While driving a Safari, I feel inferior to a Boeing turning around. The Boeing guys am sure will be intimidated by the Hexa. I am seriously thinking of a Storme 4x4 now. Disappointed is one word.

Last edited by m3_07 : 25th October 2016 at 09:13. Reason: typo
Old 25th October 2016, 09:06   #1333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Off topic, but one big difference is Hexa is body on frame and the other is a monocoque.

I don't know what the 5OO chassis is technically and I'm sure you're right but having once test driven the XUV A/T, the driving feel is completely body on frame like. It drives high, there's decent amount of body roll and it just feels much more body on frame than car like (unlike the older Innova which felt easier to drive in comparison).
Old 25th October 2016, 09:42   #1334
Distinguished - BHPian

First it was the 7 lakh auto gearbox, then the rubbery manual one and now the third row of seats. Man, we sure can threadbare a car these days. I wonder if the Hexa would have even seen the light of day if anyone of us were part of the engineering team. We wouldn't sign off anything!

As for TML, I hope they launch it soon, so we can finally TD the production version and decide for ourselves - what can be overlooked and what can't be.
Dry Ice is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 10:11   #1335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85 View Post

Here's the list whats missing in XM

Tech-Package:
8 Speaker system (4 speakers + 4 tweeters) - Non JBL also missing Subwoofer - Can be updated

Cruise Control - I find it usable on highway runs but in city not much

Safety:
Side & Curtain Airbags
Hydraulic Brake Assist

Interior:
7 seater only - No Captain seat :(

Temperature Control (FATC) with Dual HVAC - [b]Manual
That's a big list and XM doesn't appeal to me at all. Automatic climate control is a basic requirement and present in both my small cars, whereas cruise control is a basic feature I expect in an upgrade - specially for an automatic. That is the main feature I miss in my car, thanks to the good highways available down south. So only the XT appeals to me.

And hydraulic brake assist is a feature only on the top end variant? Thats big time cost cutting. Hope XM is priced competitively.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed