Team-BHP - Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/172954-nissan-x-trail-auto-expo-2016-a.html)

Big shoutout to Aditya for shooting these pictures & his coverage of the Auto Expo. Thanks for sharing, man!

High Points:

• This is the third generation X-Trail.
• It made its debut at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show. Global sales began in July, 2014.
• Available in a 7-seat option and 4 and 2-wheel drive modes.
• It is built on Renault-Nissan's CMF-CD platform and features a more rounded design, which is in line with other Nissan crossovers and SUVs.
• Nissan will bring this to India as a CBU.
• The X-Trail will be powered by a 2.0 litre petrol engine (MR20DD) that puts out 145 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 207 Nm of torque @ 4,400 rpm + an electric motor that develops 40 BHP and 160 Nm of torque.

The older gen X-Trail had a very boxy design. This one looks a lot more modern, in comparison:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-27.jpg

The X-Trail measures 4,640 mm in length, 1,820 mm in width and 1,715 mm in height; wheelbase = 2,705 mm. It is larger in dimensions than the model it replaces:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-28.jpg

It wears the signature Nissan grill. The bonnet is nice and muscular:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-29.jpg

Notice the upward sloping window line. It gets black body cladding all around, giving it that rugged look:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-30.jpg

Can't pinpoint but its rear has lost its unique identity. It now looks like any other crossover in the market. This for example:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-31.jpg

Projector headlamps with DRLs:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-32.jpg

Chrome garnish on the front bumper:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-32b.jpg

Chrome around the fog lamps. Notice the sharp bumper skirt:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-40.jpg

In India, we will most probably get the hybrid version only:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-35.jpg

LED turn indicators integrated in the ORVMs:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-41.jpg

Wraparound tail lamps:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-39.jpg

Electromagnetic boot opener:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-58b.jpg

Stepping Inside

Black interior theme. Everything is logically laid out:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-42.jpg

Chrome door handles stand out on an all-black door pad:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-48d.jpg

Only the driver-side window gets an auto up / down function:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-48c.jpg

Leather wrapped steering wheel. The silver buttons on the steering might not be to everyone's taste:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-43.jpg

Leather seats were fairly comfy. Notice the centre armrest too:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-47.jpg

Electrically adjustable driver's seat:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-46a.jpg

MID controls are located to the right of the steering wheel:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-48a.jpg

Buttons for electronic tailgate, security alarm, TC off and Eco mode. Notice the bonnet and fuel lid levers below:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-48b.jpg

Coloured MID:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-43a.jpg

Quality inside the cabin felt at par with the CR-V:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-44.jpg

Engine start / stop button located to the left of the steering wheel:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-47a.jpg

5" coloured screen:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-45.jpg

Seems like no sport / tiptronic mode available:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-46.jpg

Deep centre console storage. Notice the 12V socket inside - clever location:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-44a.jpg

Two cupholders and a storage area where the handbrake is in other cars:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-44b.jpg

It gets a foot-operated parking brake:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-48.jpg

We don't get the panoramic sunroof like the international variants:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-47b.jpg

Rear bench seemed wide and offered good support:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-49.jpg

Rear air-con vents too:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-50.jpg

Spring-loaded roof grab handles with a coat hook. Notice the light coloured roof liner:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-51.jpg

This particular version came with side airbags as well:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-53.jpg

1,982 litres of boot space without the third row of seats:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-58.jpg

Electronic tail gate:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-58a.jpg

2.0 litre petrol engine (MR20DD) that puts out 145 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 207 Nm of torque @ 4,400 rpm + an electric motor that develops 40 BHP and 160 Nm of torque.
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-56.jpg

Bonnet insulation:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-57.jpg

A closer look at the Petrol engine and the electric motor:
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-65.jpg
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-61.jpg
Nissan X-Trail @ Auto Expo 2016-60.jpg

I've always wondered how two motors sync together in a Hybrid. The last pic explains it perhaps.

The electric motore sits inline with the drivetrain I suppose.

Thanks for the pics S2

Atleast they could have some takers, had they brought in the Diesel. The CRV petrol sold only 913 units in entire 2015 and X-Trail at slightly higher price and lower reach would only do less.
X-trail being such a competent product, why don't they launch in diesel and price it on par with New Endeavor.

I have driven the 1st gen with 136 bhp extensively and it was such a pleasure :)
Disappointing game from Nissan and their future does not look bright in segment.

Wouldn't Nissan feel funny to pitch this car against the New Fortuner / Endy / Pajero Sport / Santa Fe? I can't digest the odd looking ICE & the steering wheel in a car of this segment. The front seats neither look all that supportive and looks almost flat when compared to the other vehicles in the segment.

External looks are good though. I wonder who'll buy this car when it comes as a CBU.

Anyone else think that rear looks almost exactly like the rear-end of a second generation Lexus RX-350? Hopefully, if they price it well, there could be takers for this in the soft-roader segment. Definitely a worthy alternative to something like the CR-V :thumbs up

5" screen is a big let down and no panoramic sunroof for India?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ehsank78 (Post 3906455)

With the Rupee where it is vs the $ features have to be curtailed to keep the costs/price down.

Is this a plugin hybrid or a conventional hybrid? Can it run on pure electricity or must it be run on petrol?

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 3907507)
Is this a plugin hybrid or a conventional hybrid? Can it run on pure electricity or must it be run on petrol?

I think it is a conventional hybrid and it cannot be powered by the electric motor alone. Couple of google search results that I read through did not indicate anything to the contrary.

On the absence of a diesel, I believe the hybrid engine is quite fuel efficient official websites (http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015...07-xtrail.html) claims upwards of 20 kmpl which is amazing. It is quite powerful as well.

I think it will have quite a few takers if they assemble locally and sell it at reasonable prices especially with the seven seats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ehsank78 (Post 3906455)

The Scorpio or even the hatches now come with 7" screens. XUV has moved to 8". No, we don't want Ultra HD big screens, but for sure not that puny 5".

Quote:

Originally Posted by wysiwyg25 (Post 3907493)
With the Rupee where it is vs the $ features have to be curtailed to keep the costs/price down.

Right, but at 30L or even 25L, I as a consumer would expect these features as default.

Maybe Nissan should try this as a CKD if they are serious about India and volumes. Many people want a spacious 5 seater diesel SUV with AWD, generous GC and reliability. Santa FE is a bit too big, pricey and GC isn't good, Yeti too has its limitations and there are not many rivals either. Duster/Terrano are not spacious and aren't premium either.

I do see a market for X-Trail riding high on Jap reliability. Ball is in Nissan's court. Price, diesel and petrol engine availability with AT for both should be a good start.

Can anyone confirm if it's a 5 seater or 7 seater? News was that it will be a 7 seater, but some sites mentioning it's a 5 seater only

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ehsank78 (Post 3907803)
Can anyone confirm if it's a 5 seater or 7 seater? News was that it will be a 7 seater, but some sites mentioning it's a 5 seater only

The new X-Trail I have seen is a 7-seater. Not sure if they've a 5-seater setup for this car.

This is offered internationally as a 5 seater car with an optional 7 seat configuration for top spec variants. Look up Nissan X trail (UK) and Nissan Rogue (USA). I have test driven a 5 seater version. Good but not particularly impressed.

First look and the thought really crops up - is this really the X-Trail? :Shockked: Surely it has lost its character trying to ape other formidable competitors and in return looks like another run of the mill SUV trying to provide more and more creature comforts for the urban buyer.

Not sure if it will really sell given that they will bring it as an CBU along with a big bag load of taxes. This may just serve as a flagship vehicle displayed at their dealerships for those who are buying their cheaper Terranos and Sunnys.