Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-presentation3.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 14:51   #227
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Well, I'm not so sure whether this is well played or a hit-wicket

FYI, these are the Polo's modest sales (all variants, not just GTs) for the last 6 months:
1906, 2480, 2977, 1047, 1083, 1465

How does the introduction of GTI at an astronomical price, automatically imply that people are now going to switch to GT TSI in droves? VW is no Maruti or Hyundai - the mass market has different requirements, and the enthusiasts have other options anyway. If what you say comes true, then we should see a huge jump in the above numbers!
I stand corrected. Introducing GTi is not going to push the sales per say, that's not what I meant. What is mean is that the reactions (like posted by DrivingNirvana and few others) that followed after hearing the GTi price clearly shows that enthusiasts will definitely start considering GT TSi as a better alternative. Anyways as you mentioned VW sales figures are no comparison to say Maruti Suzuki or the Hyundai sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
A true enthusiast's dream from Volkswagen. But it is priced insanely. Respected fellow members have opined rightly that the Polo GT TSI looks value for money now.

I am happy with my Polo GT TSI. On a budget, it is enough to satisfy the occasional adrenaline rush which I require.

Regards

Saubhik
Old 4th November 2016, 16:47   #228
BHPian

GTI looks neat and promising for the enthusiasts however, I am not sure with the 2 door concept, how comfortable it will be for our parents to ingress/egress. Finally for a 1.8L hatch this price seems steep, Merc A-class can be a better option if buyers can stretch just a bit further on their budget.
Old 4th November 2016, 17:36   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
GTI looks neat and promising for the enthusiasts however, I am not sure with the 2 door concept, how comfortable it will be for our parents to ingress/egress. Finally for a 1.8L hatch this price seems steep, Merc A-class can be a better option if buyers can stretch just a bit further on their budget.
I agree its steep, but none of the comparable models have the tweaked suspensions and most importantly, the LSD. This would make a world of difference on the twisties or the track.
Old 4th November 2016, 17:59   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
I agree its steep, but none of the comparable models have the tweaked suspensions and most importantly, the LSD. This would make a world of difference on the twisties or the track.
It's an electronic differential called XDS that uses the ABS system to brake the inner wheel when cornering. This exists in the GT TSI as well. However it is understeer prone due to a soft suspension in the GT. I am sure it will be better in the GTI

What I do know is that my v40 which is comparable in pricing has the same system and it works far better than the VW system and the car has zero understeer - in fact I have never managed to generate understeer in it no matter what the speed.

So other than an amazing PWTR, there is little else going for this car at that price.
Old 4th November 2016, 19:00   #231
BHPian

Received WA forward on Chennai pricing for VW GTI @32.5L onroad. My eyes literally popped out
It will definitely cross 33L onroad in namma Bengaluru. Happy revving
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-whatsapp-image-20161104-6.45.35-pm.jpeg  

vin_b is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 19:59   #232
BHPian

If any one is mad enough to spend that much on a Polo GTI, and if VW intended to sell only 99 units just as a halo product, why did they not bring the Golf GTI or R line models or the Scirocco! There would have been a lil more crazier 99 guys in the sub continent for that too no matter what the pricing. Would have created a better halo effect and a bigger brand image. Why being stingy!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 20:49   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
My Post of 2nd August 2015:

"The GTI will be only a halo car.

Definition of halo car:

An automobile that is launched merely to draw attention to the brand.... ... ...
So who's going to even notice? There won't even be one of these cars in a showroom in major cities, and 99, on the road, is invisible.

I'd bet at least Rs.5 that the vast majority of us on this thread are already VW/VAG owners or fanciers. I don't think anybody else gives a damn.

To all intents and purposes, unless or until this car is mass-marketed in India, it just doesn't exist here. Forgotten, except by those who buy it and a handful of others: that is how much "halo" value this car has.

But hey, it's sort of cute to see a limited edition actually being a limited edition!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 01:14   #234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So who's going to even notice? There won't even be one of these cars in a showroom in major cities, and 99, on the road, is invisible.

I'd bet at least Rs.5 that the vast majority of us on this thread are already VW/VAG owners or fanciers. I don't think anybody else gives a damn.

To all intents and purposes, unless or until this car is mass-marketed in India, it just doesn't exist here. Forgotten, except by those who buy it and a handful of others: that is how much "halo" value this car has.

But hey, it's sort of cute to see a limited edition actually being a limited edition!
Sometimes when you're driving down back alley roads you might find a stray dog running after your car and barking. When that happens you don't stop the car and bark back at it but carry on.

In this case, VW would do the same too, as their strategy might or might not be a success but since they've started going down a road, they would complete that journey regardless of criticisms / pitfalls / failures they might face and certainly aren't going to change their mind about pricing or the numbers that they want to sell at this point in time.

A halo car isn't a circular car behind one's head for everyone to see. It would be seen, (if at all) in less than 10% of showrooms if it has to meet its objective of being a halo car. The others would have to scroll through this thread or fantasise on what they didn't see and satisfy themselves with a wannabe GTI. (the GT).

It's going to be a long time before VW takes India seriously. So, in the meantime, we'll have to fool ourselves into thinking limited editions are cute while in actual fact it is the grapes that are sour.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 5th November 2016 at 01:16.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 09:50   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

VW GTI - The first review as driven on Indian roads,

Quote:
Before you write the GTI off as just another rich man’s toy, know that when everything is said and done, every minute spent behind the wheel of a GTI will be a minute of grinning from ear to ear.
Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-0_468_700_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20161104093540_plx1.jpg

Source

Last edited by Aditya : 7th November 2016 at 07:48. Reason: Kindly refrain from reproducing large portions of third party reviews.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 13:02   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

ok, so it might be a completely deserted road, but setting the above photo on that bend makes me wince. It just hurts!

Although, come to think of it, it reminds me of how people I knew in UK used to park their daddy's-21st-birthday presents.not so much parking, as stopping and getting out.

We might have said... How to spot a bad driver? Look for a youngster in a soft-top GTI.
Old 5th November 2016, 18:32   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
VW GTI - The first review as driven on Indian roads,

Source

The mot important statement, for me, from the same review:

"though I did feel the car unsettle a bit when driven over bad roads at a faster pace."

This is a big problem IMO, and after driving the GT TSI over 30000km, I think this is a played down version of reality.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 03:01   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh. I just had an idea...

The launch is just 99 cars. This time round. Come March or September, the next edition becomes available, unlimited.

Would they do that? And if so why? Or if not, why not?
Old 6th November 2016, 09:06   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Would they do that? And if so why? Or if not, why not?
Certainly they could, and its a legit business/sales strategy - gauge the demand on this high-margins, imported product.. if its sold very fast, then import the next round of limited edition of 99 or so with a slight tweak after a few months. This of course depends on whether they are doing this for profits in the first place (which seems unlikely) or if its just a muscle-flexing contest, a kind of subtle marketing strategy to position themselves as a sport car manufacturer and then promote the TSi and TDi twins.

Personally, I'd not go anywhere close to this car at the current price. This price opens up the possibility for a legendary brand that has a real heritage of making purely fun-to-drive cars > Mini Cooper, at just about Rs.10 lakhs more (before discounts of 2-3 lakh if one negotiates). For that one gets :

- A more expensive GETRAG gearbox compared to VW made DSG.
- Best in class interiors, better than BMW in many respects.
- Best in class steering (I've driven both, Polo doesn't come close).
- Much better handling > Its a very heavy car but when driving its deceptively nimble and feels light as a feather.
- Better snob appeal, Mini is a brand that is positioned much higher.
- Better resale, I've seen a few selling quickly at half prices which isn't too bad for a 2-3 year old car.

I wont comment on the power delivery of either cars as India isn't a country meant for it, but suffice to say the surge in a Mini is enjoyable even at low speeds and its a far bigger/wider car than it looks.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 15:18   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
This price opens up the possibility for a legendary brand that has a real heritage of making purely fun-to-drive cars > Mini Cooper ...
Mini is not real heritage. It is just a name, cut off from its actual history.

However, that's no argument with what you say about the car itself, as I'm sure the BMW Mini stands up for itself in its own right.

Where does the Fiat 500 stand in this scenario of small "sort-of-affordable" high[er]-power cars?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks