Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2016, 09:05   #16

Re: Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016

Very Desirable but very expensive.

IMO still does not justify the price tag in India where people work really hard to save and buy a 20 Lakh rupee car.

But then VW already knows this and they dont want to make this a common car.
Old 5th February 2016, 09:17   #17
BHPian

Seat Pattern, to look at, is horrible... feels like the fabric is taken from the extra cloth available at the tailors.

Seriously VW, when you say Red & Black seats we expect a sporty pattern like

Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-2013suzukiescudointeriorredandblackseats.jpg

Otherwise it has salivating specs
After the GT it would be my next car in the coming 3 years

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 5th February 2016 at 09:20.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 09:22   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
VW could have simply assembled the Polo GTI here with the same 1.8 TSI engine here in India alongside the other variants on the same assembly line which could have got down the pricing close to the 15L mark.

Wonder why they skimped on the headlights - those are halogen. Down the line, the 12-13L Vento are going to be equipped with the all-LED headlights!
I dont think it is that easy. The Polo is manufactured on a standardised line in Pune. Considering the limited run, planning an assembly run in Aurangabad will not work out.

YOu must be diappointed with the lack of DIY opportunities on this car!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post

Strange that the car doesn't have projectors even at this price. This car deserves ABLs considering the speeds it can do.

Also where is the leather and alcantra? A 20+ L car doesn't deserve to have fabric seats no matter how good a fabric it is.
Agree on the headlights. The fabric interior with the tartan trim is a throwback to the original Golf GTI (Polo is almost the same size). I dont think you get Polo's with leather seats globally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead16 View Post
I doubt if they will sell at least one, even though its a glorious motor under that hood. Sad that the pricing has to be so steep. Had it been close to the Punto Abarth, I would have hands down got myself this baby. VW should also have got the Golf here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $t@llion kh@n View Post
Very Desirable but very expensive.

IMO still does not justify the price tag in India where people work really hard to save and buy a 20 Lakh rupee car.

But then VW already knows this and they dont want to make this a common car.
Thats what I thought until I realised that it is better value than a MINI in terms of perfoamnce and equipment. THe MINI still holds its on interms of brand and handling though.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 09:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Agree on the headlights. The fabric interior with the tartan trim is a throwback to the original Golf GTI (Polo is almost the same size). I dont think you get Polo's with leather seats globally.
Ah! Thanks for the history lesson. That trim makes perfect sense then. I'm not complaining anymore .

Quote:
Thats what I thought until I realised that it is better value than a MINI in terms of perfoamnce and equipment. THe MINI still holds its on interms of brand and handling though.
The mini is not available in petrol now in India anymore. You only get the 3 cyl 1.5 ltr diesel unless you are willing to scour the stockyards everywhere for an older import cooper s.
Also it is way more expensive even if you find one. So the Polo is on its own here.

The closest in performance to this is the Volvo V40 CC T4 (180BHP stock, 200BHP with factory warranty Polestar remap) that I own.

However it is a bigger and heavier car so I'm sure the Polo will be much quicker to the ton and will probably be more nimble as well.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 09:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Car looks very good, but as mentioned it will be a stretch even for enthusiasts I guess. Also, whats with that antenna? Why could it not be a shark fin?? :(
Old 5th February 2016, 09:37   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I dont think it is that easy. The Polo is manufactured on a standardised line in Pune. Considering the limited run, planning an assembly run in Aurangabad will not work out.
True that. Plus folks shelling over 20L+ on this would prefer a few features to be customised which I don't suppose VW India would be willing to do. Not even for this CBU.

Quote:
You must be diappointed with the lack of DIY opportunities on this car!!!
Haha this car is loaded to the brim ajmat! Buy it and drive, drive, drive!

Quote:
I dont think you get Polo's with leather seats globally.
You do, at least in Germany. There's an option to upgrade the seats in leather/Alcantara for 630 Euros:

Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-1.png

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 4024
Size:  265.4 KB

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th February 2016 at 16:40. Reason: Typo.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 09:50   #22
BHPian

Hate to make the same comment about this as I did about the wrangler, but no manual, no sale.

It would make a fantastically fun sporting car with a proper manual transmission and might even be worth the price to a good driver if it's as much fun to drive as a good frisky hot hatch can be.

But auto, I will not even dream of buying. It's why I didn't buy a mini and its why I will not buy this polo.

Last edited by Harbir : 5th February 2016 at 10:19.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 10:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

The car is world class no doubt!

People who want powerful hatches but are not very rich(read I ), have no choices now.
They will have to settle for an Abarth Punto
Ah common Hemanth, I was counting on you bro to get the GTI and drive it

Abarth Punto is a very very special hatch and there are no two ways about that. Personally though, I did not feel like it was really worth the asking price. Its almost a total opposite of Figo 1.5 TDCi, where I felt like the car was not pricey and was built just like that, with a surprise of that stunning engine.

Punto Abarth may not worry for a long time now since I don't think GTI would even be an option or competition to this Scorpion.

Now coming to the GTI, here is the data that I could gather:

1. A Class - A180

Top Speed - 202km/hr
0-100 (s) - 8.6

2. Audi A3 - 40TFSI

Top Speed - 210km/hr
0-100 (s) - 8.61

3. BMW 1 series

Top Speed - 210km/hr
0-100 (s) - 8.7

4. Volvo V40 - T4

Top Speed - 210km/hr
0-100 (s) - 8.5

5. Polo GTI - 1.8TSI

Top Speed - 236km/hr
0-100 (s) - 6.7

If VW does price the Polo GTI at about 20lks, there would no other hatch in the country that can even come close to this baby.

So whichever way you look at it bro, GTI seems to have something special. Considering the fact that this would be a CBU/CKD, fit and finish could be better than regular Polos. IMO only the Price & After Sales could be the biggest concerns of this hatch owners.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 5th February 2016 at 10:37.
Vik0728 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 10:28   #24

Quote:
Yes you are right Ajmat it is filled to the brim with features but in India most of the people buy brand at that value. What I mean is that it will still be seen as a 20 Lakh Polo.

What I appreciate is the attempt from VW. This will slowly work towards opening the doors for performance variants of other models. After all we have go to start somewhere.
I would love to see a Ford Fiesta ST or Ford Focus sometime in future.
Old 5th February 2016, 11:05   #25
BHPian

Nice pics! Does this get rear disc brakes too?
Old 5th February 2016, 11:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Nice pics! Does this get rear disc brakes too?
The rear discs with red calipers is clearly visible in this image:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...6-aaa_2499.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Now coming to the GTI, here is the data that I could gather:

4. Volvo V40 - T4

Top Speed - 210km/hr
0-100 (s) - 8.5

5. Polo GTI - 1.8TSI

Top Speed - 236km/hr
0-100 (s) - 6.7

If VW does price the Polo GTI at about 20lks, there would no other hatch in the country that can even come close to this baby.
In case of the V40, the speed limiter of 210 can be removed with the Polestar remap which increases both the power (200bhp) and torque (285Nm).

However you are right - in outright grunt, the polo will always win as it is close to 200kg lighter and is a far smaller car.

Considering pure performance, this car has no peers - it is truly special.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th February 2016 at 16:24. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Thanks :)
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 11:32   #27
BHPian

Suddenly my TSI doesnt look so hot anymore . I really do hope they skip the sunroof to bring the cost down a little. Personally I think that feature only adds to the cost and serves no purpose in a hot hatch
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 11:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am not too sure if people really understand the pains of driving a 200 HP car with manual transmission as a everyday car!

Its not that one cannot drive a high power / high torque cars with a manual transmission, but it does require good amount of diligence and basic understanding of gear ratios. I am sure most Tbhp'ians know these, however the market is not just Tbhp'ians.

Automatic brings with it the ease of drive ability in most conditions (City / Traffic / Expressways / Tracks). Even for the most discerning enthusiasts the DSG will make them smile deep inside their heart! To me it makes perfect sense to launch these cars with Auto transmission.

IMO, the only advantage a manual has in these type of cars is that, it brings down the overall price by atleast 1.5-2 Lacs.

PS: I am speaking from the experience of having lived with a manual car that had a 0-100 timing of 8.7 secs (on Vbox) and a Top wack of 202 kmph (on GPS). Trust me everyday when you stutter through city traffic, your legs and hands will be overworking to ensure you keep the car in control. These cars are deceptively quick, even a delay by fraction of a second can spell disaster!
Mi10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 11:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Seat Pattern, to look at, is horrible... feels like the fabric is taken from the extra cloth available at the tailors
I call it the pajama print. Except for the probable high price and the pajamas, love the package.

Nikhil
Old 5th February 2016, 11:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Ah common Hemanth, I was counting on you bro to get the GTI and drive it

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by $t@llion kh@n View Post
a 20 Lakh Polo.
Let's wait till the exact prices are announced.
It will cross 30Lakhs I expect.

Why do I expect that?
Consider Beetle which is also a CBU:
The Beetle configured on the German website with very similar specs to the Indian version is 21,500 Euros
It is priced at INR 28.73 Lakhs ex showroom

VW GTI configured similar to Indian version launched yesterday, costs 26,500 Euros.
That is enough take the ex showroom price itself over 30 Lakhs.

I'm not even talking about the OTR prices.
So, for me, This car is only for fantasising and not for owning.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks