Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2016, 10:37   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016

Polo GTI appears on VW website

Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-1.png
Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-capture.png

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th February 2016 at 10:41.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 11:24   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Why are companies not announcing the price of any of the models in auto expo? Is it because they plan to increase/decrease after seeing the response in the expo? Its been a loong time since price speculations are going , and even though I cannot afford one now, I am not able to control the urge to know the pricing !!
It could be because the Budget is around the corner and they wouldn't want to revise the prices a month after launch. Such a move will never go down well with prospective customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It would probably make much more sense to have 1.2 TSi the default and 1.4 TSi the GT option for Polo (retire the atrocious 1.2 MPi), then get the Golf GTi as the halo product.

Given they're bent on going the CBU route anyway for the GTi model and the other options (car & engine) are both already available in the India parts bin, there isn't really much groundwork required except (re)configuring the production lines and minor tweaks, if any.

Knowing VW, they'll probably just do the silly thing and lose more money, but one could still hope.
The 1.2 TSI as the default petrol option would be ideal. But having the 1.4 TSI in GT guise may not make financial sense as it won't fall within the preferred tax-bracket.

While it would have been a good idea to bring a downsized (read, 1.4 GTI
- like they have in China), I remember reading a post by a D-BHPian who had raised some pertinent points. The 3-door hasn't done particularly well in other markets. Perhaps India is a dumping-ground for excess stock?
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 13:05   #48
BHPian

Good numbers from Polo GTI but given the price tag of around Rs. 2 million, VW should have installed the good looking projector headlamps from the European Polo as standard.

It would have also further differentiated the car from the regular Polo.
Old 6th February 2016, 13:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

The surprising fact is VW has equipped Vento with LED headlights now. Whilst keeping the GTI somewhat stock. Basically, they have given the additional equipment like DSG, Sport button with sports suspension, cruise control, etc, all of which are optional on the European Polo GTI. The standard GTI there is barebones go kart! 6MT, manual Ac, manual irvm, no cruise control, even the sports suspension is added option there. Surely they will get the LED lights on the final product that's imported in to India.

I am disappointed that they are using 7dsg instead of 6dsg. That means even though the engine makes more power than the Octavia (on paper only, these bhp figures are unachievable with Indian fuel), it still will be defined for torque at only 250nm instead of 320nm which is available on the 6MT variant in Europe. I would not buy this car, unless they start localising production. Given the number of mechatronic failures even in Europe, if you are one of the unlucky ones in India, forget your car for 2 months!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 13:57   #50
BHPian

There are lots and lotsa people in India who can afford a 25 Lac rupee car, but the problem for GTI is they can't afford a hatchback for 25 lacs , most of these people don't care for the GT/GTI/M/AMG/VRS/SVR monikers on the car, for them more bucks = more metal, as simple as that.

Having said that the Polo GTI would be the perfect car for someone who has money at his/her disposal but doesn't like unwanted attention. This car would gel in with traffic as a regular polo - the wolf among the sheeps.

It would make sense to launch a variant with 1.4 TSI - GTI Highline with 1.8 and comfort line with 1.4, given the fact that the Polo is the only car that has seen the most no of engine/transmission and refreshes - feature additions

Now the GTI 1.8, nothing wrong in launching GTI 1.4

Aam Junta: 1.2 petrol/1.5 diesel
Enthusiast: 1.2 GT TSI, 1.5 GT TDI
Super enthusiast: 1.4 GTI
Distinguished enthusiast: 1.8 GTI

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 6th February 2016 at 13:58.
Old 6th February 2016, 14:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

I tried to configure the same car that was showcased here in the Auto Expo, on Volkswagen's UK website. The cost with all added options was an astronomical 25000 GBP! Thats almost 25 Lakh INR. So pretty sure, this car will not be selling huge numbers. On the other hand, Volkswagen said earlier that along with the GTI, they will also announce performance enhancements "options" for current and new GT TSI/TDI Owners. May be a sport suspension, LED head/tail Lights, Flat bottom GTI steering and bigger wheels, a sportier exhaust, is all we can expect in options. I don't see the point in over-tuning the current 1.2 TSI motor, since the torque is limited to 250nm no matter what!

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 6th February 2016 at 14:43.
Old 6th February 2016, 15:04   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
...since the torque is limited to 250nm no matter what!
Adi, I agree it is the 7 speed one but there's no one written in the spec sheet that it will be the DQ200. I believe it will have the 7 speed DQ380 which supports higher range of torque.
Old 6th February 2016, 15:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Adi, I agree it is the 7 speed one but there's no one written in the spec sheet that it will be the DQ200. I believe it will have the 7 speed DQ380 which supports higher range of torque.
Polo GTI is available here in Europe with 1.8TSI and 7-speed DSG, with torque restricted to 250Nm.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 19:21   #54
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Polo GTI is available here in Europe with 1.8TSI and 7-speed DSG, with torque restricted to 250Nm.

Yes I know for a fact it's the dq200. I asked Hormazd Sorabjee on Twitter after reading his piece on the GTI, and he confirmed it's the dq200 that does duty in the Octy and Polo/Rapid/Vento in India.

Can't upload a screenshot from app. Pls see my twitter handle @adityawadhwa you'll see the conversation with Hormazd.

The one in the Audi Q3 is the the dq380.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 6th February 2016 at 19:25.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 21:02   #55
BHPian

This year is going to be a big year for Indian high-end hatchback segment with two new European offerings: Abarth and Polo GTI. FIAT and VW -take a bow. But, I am afraid, the sales may still remain subdued. With a price tag of 20 lakhs or more, GTI will face a stiff competition from Audi, BMW and Mercs. Will anyone buy a hot-hatch when they can buy an sedan from a bigger brand for some extra bucks? An interesting question which only time can answer. The main issue here is that even with 20 lakh price tag the car is still a hatch and looks just similar to its 3-cylinder older sibling. In India, many people who spend 20+ lakhs on cars expect some show-value from their toys which clearly Polo GTI may not give them. I think even FIAT and VW aren't expecting them to sell well. They may use these cars as marquee products to increase the sales of their lesser siblings which share the same name tags: Punto and Polo.
Old 6th February 2016, 23:57   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
........On the other hand, Volkswagen said earlier that along with the GTI, they will also announce performance enhancements "options" for current and new GT TSI/TDI Owners. May be a sport suspension, LED head/tail Lights, Flat bottom GTI steering and bigger wheels, a sportier exhaust, is all we can expect in options. ........
As an owner of a GT TDi, I surely hope what your saying comes true. Would be amazing if they offer a stage 1 remap as a paid extra. Even if its twice as expensive as getting it outside, the warranty protection would be worth its weight in gold to many a folk, like me.

The suspension would also be swell..
mmridul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 12:43   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Now coming to the GTI, here is the data that I could gather:

1. A Class - A180

Top Speed - 202km/hr
0-100 (s) - 8.6

2. Audi A3 - 40TFSI

Top Speed - 210km/hr
0-100 (s) - 8.61

3. BMW 1 series

Top Speed - 210km/hr
0-100 (s) - 8.7

4. Volvo V40 - T4

Top Speed - 210km/hr
0-100 (s) - 8.5

5. Polo GTI - 1.8TSI

Top Speed - 236km/hr
0-100 (s) - 6.7

If VW does price the Polo GTI at about 20lks, there would no other hatch in the country that can even come close to this baby..
Looking at the same stats the other way around -

Mercedes couldn't sell the A class, Audi couldnt sell the A3, BMW couldn't sell the 1 series and Volvo couldnt sell the V40 - Even though they had good comparable performance, excellent designs, luxurious interiors and a prestigious brand to brag about.

Special mention about the Audi A3 40 TFSi. It had -

1. The same 1.8 TFSi engine and 7 speed DSG. 178 bhp.
2. Audi brand and looks similar to bigger cars from the stable.
3. Four door sedan practicality.
4. Competitive price tag of 25.5L

And it couldn't catch the fancy of the 20+L car buying populace. And then comes a Polo which looks similar to the one sold at 5 lakhs - save for the fact that it is even more impractical without the rear doors priced at 20L +?

CBU and 3 door will only give this car zero sales potential. It has to be four door, CKD and priced around 15L ex-showroom at the maximum.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th February 2016 at 12:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 12:51   #58
BHPian

I know that the choice of seat upholstery looks a little dated on this polo, not many of you may know this but this plaid pattern has been synonymous with GTI's ever since the MK1 golf GTI was launched back in 74. I've seen this seat pattern make a comeback in recent years on the Golf and looks like its also transcended to the Polo GTI.
Old 7th February 2016, 13:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

CBU and 3 door will only give this car zero sales potential. It has to be four door, CKD and priced around 15L ex-showroom at the maximum.
Hey CrAzY dRiVeR, your statement is most sensible and there are no two thoughts on that.

But for all we know, there could be a surprising twist to this tale here. To begin with, this is VW guys, one of the biggest auto makers in the world. Heck, even their scandal cost is bigger than many Indian auto companies total worth. The point I am getting at here is that R&D team at VW India must have done their homework quite well to even envision a 2 door launch, let alone make it a reality.

Though GT idea by VW India seemed like an experiment, I have a strong feeling they knew what they were getting into. And they probably were caught off guard with the response, but surely they knew they had something exclusive/exquisite to offer.

I am not saying that Polo GTI can have a similar response. Though I have put up a comparison against the other big cars/names, I think Polo GTI will offer some exclusivity in the 2 door segment, which nothing else at the moment seems to have.

Ofcourse, the Price is the biggest question mark. This is a Polo at the end of the day alright, but man it anything but a regular hatch !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 7th February 2016 at 13:52.
Old 7th February 2016, 17:19   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Now coming to the GTI, here is the data that I could gather:

1. A Class - A180

2. Audi A3 - 40TFSI

3. BMW 1 series

4. Volvo V40 - T4

5. Polo GTI - 1.8TSI

So whichever way you look at it bro, GTI seems to have something special.
The Polo GTI no doubt will be a special car, and I am happy that VW is bringing this option to India. That said, the comparison to cars you mentioned above should be a regular Golf, and not the Polo (in any guise). And that brings to the thought – VW should have really experimented by bringing in the Golf.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks