Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:02   #181
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Guess what, all of a sudden polo GT TSI is looking super value for money. Well done VW. The idea looks pretty clear, they do not want to make this anywhere near to affordable, not even a used.

I am sure it would drive amazing and give a sublime experience, but i would certainly consider use 530ds if i have the budget. So much value for the buck. I know its a stupid comparison, but 2.5 million is a lot of money.
Aptly said about the GT TSI becoming good value for money. By bringing in a slightly higher performance model, VW has put itself in a win-win situation for itself. If the GTi sells well and good but if not they can always have prospective buyers for their other models like GT TSI which, in GTi's shadow looks like a guardian angel I have to say, well played VW well played!
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:14   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

A JEEP for 1 Crore, Mustang for 80L, Accord for 40L, Polo for 30L. Is the Indian Currency devalued like Zimbabwe?
kiku007 is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:24   #183
BHPian

I guess the pricing is not a surprise shocker as many of the team-bhpians had already predicted the same. And regarding buyers, 99 is not an unrealistic target VW has kept. VW is not aiming at that racer who has saved all his life savings and is waiting to buy a performance hatch. VW is aiming at that adrenaline rush junky who is the son of a rich father or a young entrepreneur who can add this one as well in his collection of mini cooper and BMWs.
Like, one of my close business associates, aged 50, has a Mercedes E class and Volvo XC60, where as his engineering student son drives a mini cooper.
petrol_power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:09   #184
BHPian

I think VW did right by bringing only 99 units to India. The car is going to be a big Flop considering it costs 3 Million big ones!

Smarter options to choose would be:
1) Audi A3 40 TFSI (Ex Showroom 27L)
2) Octavia Ambition plus 1.8TSI (Ex Shw 19L)
3) Second Hand Mini Cooper S (~OTR 25-30L)

The first one offers Space + Badge.
The second one offers LOTS OF space + value for money.
The third one offers Uniqueness + Badge + GoKart like Dynamics.
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:39   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the Unique launch of 'VW GTI'!

Launch,

The VW GTI

And the broad highlights of the GTI

Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-1.jpg
Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-2.jpg
Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-3.jpg

Fifth color is missing?
Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-5.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:29   #186
BHPian

The dynamics of this GTi might be its only selling point. But wait, how many times will the owner take this to the race track to experience the GTi's Racing pedigree? Even if he does, for 99 out of 100 days he'll be using on Indian roads and highways, and on such roads the driver can only go fast in straight line, since there is no question of approaching a corner at high speeds - dangerous and foolish. As said by most of them the Octavia Tsi is a brilliant and practical car!

Speaking of exclusivity, which nothing but an external locus of perception, this does not score well. For instance, if a movie star buys this, the bystanders will think, 'look he's driving a Polo'

Only an extravagant enthusiast will buy this fancy little toy IMO.
shree_shell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:38   #187
Senior - BHPian

This car costs about 20,000 Pounds in the UK (After taxes, i believe), which is around 17Lakh in INR.
Does not make much sense to pay roughly double the money in India! (Even though it is CBU).

VW could have tried to assemble it locally. If not 17lakh, atleast they could have priced it around 20lakh mark.
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:57   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is the Unique launch of 'VW GTI'!
]
No sunroof for the Indian version of the GTI @ 30+ lakhs on road?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th November 2016 at 00:08. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post. It may inconvenience small screen users. Quote only the relevant bits instead. Thanks!
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:12   #189
BHPian

I think people here are seriously doubting the size of the indian market. 99 cars for big manufacturer like VW is nothing. They'll just point there salesmen to a few target perks and voila, 99 cars will be gone in an instant. See, this is not a monthly target for VW. They are gonna sell just 99 of these cars.

Plus, this car is unlike any other car sold in our market. It is a true sleeper in every sense of the word. On the brighter side of things, we can only hope that these 99 fly off the shelf ASAP, compelling VW to bring out local assembly and satiate the GTi lust of the upper middle class enthusiasts.
ashwin1224 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:42   #190
BHPian

If Golf came in at 17-20 lacks, a lot of ppl like me who want a sporty yet practical hatchback will seriously consider it. But not this one with 3 doors and this pricing.
It will surely be fun to drive, but I have never ever driven GT TSI above 5K rpm in the last 1 yr of ownership. 250Nm torque is sweet, but 189 horses will never get used on our roads.

This makes total sense to someone who can afford this to be his/her second car.

VW nice start, but get this locally assembled, price it sensibly and you have a winner.
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:52   #191
BHPian

What was VW smoking, launching this product at such price points. I would seriously like to see internal target sell numbers set by management.

As far as hot hatch goes Abarth even without AT looks VFM compared to this.
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:53   #192
BHPian

Just found this interesting comparison pic on the overdrive FB page. Thought i'd share it with the Bhpian family.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-img_2262.png  

Starfire is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:57   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The problem area. I pass a red 1.2l petrol Polo atleast once a week. He has the GTI badge and that honey comb grill too. Would he notice me when I pass? No. After paying so much, I get a car that looks identical to a standard Polo and that is no good.
On the contrary, that is the entire point of a GTi. It is the original hot-hatch ethos, back to the original hot hatch, the Golf GTi. Nobody knows, until it accelerates past them in a way that some ordinary hatch back, surely, just cannot do.

So for those who want to wear the price of their car on its sleeve, I'm sure there are better alternatives. The GTi thing is between you and your car, not between you and other people.

Will that work in India? Of course, there are lots of people all over the world for whom the idea does not work. Not flash if it doesn't look flash.

Elsewhere (when I last looked, over a decade ago) VW even offer the option to remove the badging, making the thing even more subtle. Oh, and slight less subject to theft.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd November 2016 at 18:58.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:12   #194
Senior - BHPian

So here comes a limited edition Polo, not a sport variant. A missed opportunity in my book. I'm assuming the GTI version has an extensively modified chassis, hence VW could not import only the drivetrain and assemble the rest in India.

It will sell, but had VW manage to price it in the vicinity of 13-14 lakh Ex Showroom, many people would have bought it. Also, will the interiors be the same as a regular Polo?
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:34   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What I want to know is, have VW done anything at all with the suspension? Sure, the bigger, fatter rubber will help but that is not enough.
The chassis has been stiffened, the suspension has been re-tuned and is equipped with stiffer dampers for better adaptability to Indian conditions, and the dust-proofing has been beefed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
A JEEP for 1 Crore, Mustang for 80L, Accord for 40L, Polo for 30L. Is the Indian Currency devalued like Zimbabwe?

Indian car companies are sure stretching that "testing the waters" thing to it's full extreme.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed