Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2016, 01:53   #256
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016

The 16" Salvador alloys on the GTI and 16" Draconis alloys on the vRS seems quite similar at first glance. Love the finish on the Salvador alloys though

Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-gti-vs-vrs-alloys.jpg
avinash_clt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 10:06   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
I'll add my perspective here
Thanks for the quick review! The car indeed is a true sleeper.

Quote:
PS: I then proceeded to sit in my GT TSI and drove away thinking about what if, the idiots at Wolfsburg grow some brains and price this thing between 14-18 lakhs on-road. Now wouldn't that be something?
You are not alone.

Most of us who were eagerly waiting for the launch, do share the same feeling about pricing.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 11:02   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As someone else mentioned previously, it's also got positive feedback from ACI.
I have already highlighted a statement from that review, just a few posts ago. They have tried to play down the fact that high speed ride on irregular surfaces is not good, but they HAD to mention it

And as per ACI XUV5OO AT has a very good gearbox
Old 8th November 2016, 11:55   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
How's this for a comparison?
Attachment 1573555
More like (1) Medium tepid, (2) Lukewarm, (3) Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I think VW strategy is simple. Launch the Polo 1.8 GTI at 25+ lacs. Keep it limited as VW already knows that they will have a hard time getting those 99 ones off the shelf or maybe give the buyer a feeling of exclusiveness.
With the 3-door having been discontinued worldwide, I don't think VW's approach is to ensure exclusivity inasmuch as their strategy to exhaust their surplus stock of 3-door RHD GTIs.

Also, I believe that the first batch of 99 units and maybe even the 2nd batch of imports will be snapped up quickly. It's the 3rd batch of imports that they may struggle to sell.

The GTI may lack the fizzy character of the Mini Cooper S (the GTI's steering is presumably numb in comparison to the chatty quick-rack in the Mini), but the fact that it has similar power/performance @ 35 lakhs OTR (15 lakhs cheaper) may make it seem like a value poposition for someone who finds the price of a new Mini Cooper S (50 lakhs OTR) a bit too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Then within a year or 2, launch the Polo 1.4 GT(I) at a price point of 15-16 lacs (ex-showroom). Suddenly, people will start finding it VFM as it's 90% of the car for 60% of the cost of a 1.8 GTI. BAM! you have a winner!
That would be ideal now, wouldn't it. But I don't think VW will ever give us a locally assembled Polo 1.4 TSI since it will fall under a different tax bracket, citing that it breaches the 1.2 tax-limit for hatchbacks. Although they did it in China, a locally assembled 1.4 TSI GTI in our market would make it less lucrative from a business point of view.

And with VAG signalling that they'd rather downsize engines going forward (a la 2016 Audi A4), we should expect an updated version of the 1.2 TSI at the most and maybe a 1.0 TSI that is slated to replace the ageing 1.2 3-pot mill.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 14:50   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
More like (1) Medium tepid, (2) Lukewarm, (3) Hot

And with VAG signalling that they'd rather downsize engines going forward (a la 2016 Audi A4), we should expect an updated version of the 1.2 TSI at the most and maybe a 1.0 TSI that is slated to replace the ageing 1.2 3-pot mill.
Interesting. In fact, 1.0 TSI comes in 75 PS, 95 PS, and 110 PS guise. Since 1.2 TSI is being replaced with 1.0 TSI, they might even have 1.0 TSI for both normal and GTs, normal having 75 and GT having 95 or 110 PS. That way they need not maintain two engines
rageshgr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 16:42   #261
BHPian

It will be good to know if all the enthu junta out there on this forum who have booked the car announce themselves. This is car not just for rich people - and an average rich joe will buy a mini cooper which has better recall and aura. In 90% cases this is for buyers who can afford a D segment car, willing to stretch their budget just to savour the experience of driving this car. I will be surprised, if I don't find at least twenty buyers active on TBHP. And if they are, unlikely they will book the car without browsing through this forum.

So what is stopping you folks from announcing yourself? Let the count begin.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 17:58   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That would be ideal now, wouldn't it. But I don't think VW will ever give us a locally assembled Polo 1.4 TSI since it will fall under a different tax bracket, citing that it breaches the 1.2 tax-limit for hatchbacks.
Actually they did it once when they introduced the Polo GT 1.6TDI initially. The higher excise duty was cited as a reason for the odd 30k which was more for the GT TDI over GT TSI back then, even while the latter had an advanced engine, DSG, ESP/TCS etc.
Fast forward, they introduced the sub 1.5L diesel engine for the GT TDI also, but I don't see the benefits having been passed on to the customer. The GT TSI with its better drivetrain still remains cheaper than the GT TDI. So excise duty shouldn't be keeping VW away from trying for a 1.4TSI in polo in India.

Quote:
Although they did it in China, a locally assembled 1.4 TSI GTI in our market would make it less lucrative from a business point of view.

The 1.4TSI is set to become sort of an entry level petrol engine for all the VAG cars, with 1.8TSI being possibly phased out. In that case, entry level A3, Octavia, Superb, Q3 all are going to get 1.4TSI as the base petrol version, possibly in various tunes. Whether the current 1.8TSI engines would be replaced with 2.0TSI as an option remains to be seen. End of the day, chances of 1.4TSI coming in more numbers is highly likely (currently India would be one of those few markets where more 1.8TSI are sold over 1.4TSI), thus making the case stronger for a Polo with 1.4TSI engine plonked into it.

Effectively with a 1.4TSI engine (currently they produce upto 150/160PS I believe), Polo is straight in the performance territory of Abarth Punto. In fact VW would have a hard time pricing it right, and on the contrary might help sell couple more Abarth Puntos, as people can choose between two comparable perfomance hatches. The other challenge VW would have is whether the current chassis/body shells used by VW India for their Polo (I presume this is different from the euro spec chassis structurally) can be maintained for the Indianised GTI. From a manufacturers perspective, Abarth Punto sales have set an un-inspring impression when it comes to the potential of affordable hot/warm hatches.
avinash_clt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 14:21   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Abarth Punto sales have set an un-inspring impression when it comes to the potential of affordable hot/warm hatches.
Abarth poor sales are very much related to FIAT's history in India and the gear box. In VW's case it will be different, Polo 1.4TSI with optional manual or DSG will be an inspiring hot hatch.
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 15:01   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Michael Mayer -
Quote:
We will need alignment with the Brazilian, South African and Russian markets that have demand for similar products.
With the Gol GT concept just unveiled in Brazil - will this be the 'affordable GTI' in 2018 for India ?

Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-volkswagen_gol_gt201.jpg
Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016-volkswagen_gol_gt2011.jpg

Quote:
Volkswagen did not reveal what powers the concept, though it is likely the company’s 1.0 litre TSI with a flex fuel system, delivering 125 PS and 200 Nm of torque
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th November 2016 at 15:02.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 15:25   #265
BHPian

Nice to hear of the launch of this hot hatch at this price!.

I know 189 bhp is a lot of juice. But really, is it possible to utilize this and enjoy the juicy engines raw power on Indian roads?.
Also, its certainly not a comfortable highway cruiser.
A pre-loved Mini Cooper sounds like a better proposition to me, at this price bracket.
Having said that, there is no dearth of crazy people with money to throw, in the world. One of my friends has booked the GTI.

Cheerio.
Old 11th November 2016, 08:25   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Polo GTI Vs Mini Cooper S - Overdrive's View.

Quote:
The prettier one
In most books, the Mini is the clear winner here. It’s bright (and I’m not just talking about the colour), fun and stands out like colour in a black and white picture
Quote:
The quickest

It’s the Polo GTI! It managed 0-100kmph in 6.7 seconds while the Mini does it in 7.2 seconds.
Quote:
The thriller

Hands down, it’s the Mini Cooper. The first thing you’ll notice about the Mini is how sharp the front end is when you turn into a corner
The daily driver
Quote:
the GTI has changed everything. It’s the more practical car here by a mile! With the new suspension set-up, more practical tyres and added underbody protection, can drive this car around like a regular hatchback
The Winner
Quote:
Given the fact that the Polo is faster, more spacious, more practical and significantly cheaper, victory here is undeniable
Source

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th November 2016 at 13:45. Reason: trimming quoted post
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 08:07   #267
Senior - BHPian

Interview with VW India's Michael Mayer by Autocar India on the GTI and other VW products

Old 16th November 2016, 13:01   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Frightfully expensive. The Mumbai price will go close to 35 lakhs (with Octroi + higher RTO taxes for CBUs). You could get a BMW 320d for about the same money.
You echoed my sentiments!

My neighbour purchased a BMW X1 for ~30 Lac in Bangalore.. And to think this Polo is on par or more expensive than the X1?!

Let's wait and watch if VW is able to sell the first batch of the 99 they have produced!

Thanks and Regards,
Rakesh
Old 16th November 2016, 13:13   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM-4 View Post
My neighbour purchased a BMW X1 for ~30 Lac in Bangalore.. And to think this Polo is on par or more expensive than the X1?!
~30L really? A colleague shelled out 37 big ones a few days back and he was so happy about 4L discount he got on X1.

Anyway, the point about Polo-GTi being as expensive as BMW 3 or X1 does sound outrageous.
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 13:27   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
~30L really? A colleague shelled out 37 big ones a few days back and he was so happy about 4L discount he got on X1.

Anyway, the point about Polo-GTi being as expensive as BMW 3 or X1 does sound outrageous.
He said ~30L and I took him at his word! He purchased the X1 about 1.5 years ago IIRC! Was the price of X1 lesser by 7 lac around 1.5 years ago? Maybe not.. If this is the case,I should not take that fella at face value henceforth

Coming to the moot point, yes it does indeed sound outrageous that the Polo's price range is along the pricing range of BMW cars!!

Most Viewed