Team-BHP - Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/172984-jaguar-xe-launched-auto-expo-2016-a.html)

Big shoutout to Aditya for shooting these pictures & his coverage of the Auto Expo. Thanks for sharing, man!

Jaguar has launched the all-new XE sedan in India at a starting price of Rs. 39.90 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).

High Points:
• Aluminium-intensive monocoque desing (> 75% aluminium).
• Available in petrol options only (for the time being) - turbocharged 2.0L inline 4-cylinder, in two states of tune - 197 BHP / 320 Nm and 237 BHP / 340 Nm. Both options get an 8-speed automatic transmission. Fuel efficiency is rated at 13.06 km/l and 13.05 km/l respectively :)
• Loaded with features such as torque vectoring by braking, all surface progress control (ASPC), engine start-stop, Jaguar Drive Control, electronic power assisted steering (EPAS), 20.32 cm colour touchscreen infotainment system + navigation, Meridian sound system, surround camera system, 10-way adjustable electric front seats, leather upholstery, panoramic sunroof and Jaguar smart key system.
• Locally manufactured in Pune.
• 7 colour options - Polaris White, Rhodium Silver, Blue Fire, Dark Sapphire, Odyssey Red, Italian Racing Red and Ultimate Black.
• On sale from the end of this month across all JLR dealerships.
• Price:
  1. XE 2.0L Petrol Pure (197 BHP) : Rs. 39.90 Lakh
  2. XE 2.0L Petrol Portfolio (237 BHP) : Rs. 46.50 Lakh
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-4.jpg
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-5.jpg

A close look at the exteriors

It's unmistakably a Jaguar. At first glance it can be easily mistaken for an XF or and XJ! Those 'J Blade' headlamps, signature grill with the Jaguar log are all part of the family face. Look closely, and there is enough to distinguish it from its siblings:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-1.jpg

It measures 4,795 mm in length, 2,075 mm in width, 1,416 mm in height and has a wheelbase of 2,835 mm. Dimensionally, it is longer and wider than its 3 German rivals:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-2.jpg

Its kerb weight is 1,547.8 kg. Side profile shows its long bonnet and stubby boot:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-3.jpg

The XE's rear is distinct. The leaping cat badge proudly sits on the boot:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-3a.jpg

Chrome border around the signature Jaguar grill. Notice the honeycomb pattern:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-6.jpg

Headlamps have DRLs. Don't miss the headlamp washer and front parking sensors:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-7.jpg

No fog lamps:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-9.jpg

Chrome side air vent garnish:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-10.jpg

ORVMs with integrated LED blinkers:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-11.jpg

17" wheels:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-12.jpg

Keyless entry system:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-16.jpg

This horizontal line intersecting a roundel is an iconic styling feature inherited from the iconic Jaguar E-type:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-13.jpg

Dual muffler tips:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-14.jpg

Shark-fin antenna:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-15.jpg

25t badge for the 2.0L petrol engines. This nomenclature is similar to how the Germans badge their cars w.r.t. engine power, acceleration etc:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-15b.jpg

Notice the reverse camera, electromagnetic boot release and the LED number plate lights:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-16b.jpg

A close look at the interiors

A classy interior design:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-17.jpg

Small door bin. Notice the position of the speakers is quite high:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-24.jpg

Even the power window switches and ORVM controls are placed a little high:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-25.jpg

Seat memory options and lock / unlock buttons are placed on the door armrest:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-26.jpg

10-way adjustable front seats. You're actually seated quite low in the XE:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-18.jpg

Paddle shifters to be in control of the 8-speed automatic transmission:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-20.jpg

Notice the electronically adjustable steering wheel control:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-20a.jpg
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-19.jpg

8" touchscreen infotainment display with navigation. The Portfolio variant gets a 380W Meridian audio system:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-21.jpg

Engine start / stop button located below the climate control buttons:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-22.jpg

Familiar rotary gear knob:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-23.jpg

Unfriendly territory begins:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-30.jpg

These seats are best left for shorter adults or kids:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-27.jpg

Leg room at the back is limited and so is under-thigh support. Aditya (5.10 ft) had only about an inch of room between his head and the roof:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-30a.jpg

Rear passengers get air vents + a 12V socket and a cubby area to park a smartphone:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-28.jpg

Storage nets behind the front seats:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-29.jpg

Spring-loaded grab handles with coat hooks:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-30b.jpg

455L boot space is of a decent size:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-31.jpg

Boot is nicely clad:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-32.jpg

No owner normally would, but if you do snoop around, you'll spot this unpainted, naked area in the boot:
Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-33.jpg

Nice car. However the piano black plastic in the center console looks a bit cheap to me.

That bit in the boot is horrible as well. Not expected out of a premium car for which you have to pay through your nose.

Looks great, will await to test drive the car in chennai and compare it to the Bmw F30 328i in performance and handling

A Big thank you to Aditya for the wonderful photos and S2 for the report. XE as expected is really a looker and happy to see 7 colors offered. Indian market all of a sudden looks interesting to every manufacturer, meaning rest of the world is saturated??

It's a looker for sure (barring the smallish looking wheels), but from the photos, the interiors look down-rent! Does not come close to the German competitors. After seeing the interior pictures of the next gen Audi A4, this one looks way behind.

Also, the price is too high I feel - 40 lakhs ex-showroom for the petrol? The diesel variants of the A4, 3-Series and C-Class fall in this price range - I think it will be an uphill battle for the Jaguar in our diesel loving nation.

Quite overpriced and disappointing interiors. I'd take the C class over this any day. Jag is manufacturing the XE locally so they could have easily priced it 5 lacs cheaper. Now its falling into A6 and 5 series price range after the attractive discounts on offer.

Couple of years ago, I was waiting for the XE to be launched in India before choosing a car. However even after the international launch, there was no sign of it's launch in India. So I went for a BMW 320d Sportline. When reviews of the XE's handling surpassing the 3 series came, I was left wondering if I had jumped the gun. Seeing the XE in the flesh in England last month, it doesn't come close in looks to the 320. S2!!!s information also provides a bleak looking picture of XEs chances in India at these prices. Finally, I have confirmed information from a BMW employee that BMW is working on the G30 that will have aluminium and carbon extensive construction and hybrid models too that will more than take back the handling crown.

The XE certainly looks good, though the interiors are average in my books. The electric steering column adjust is a nice feature in this segment (only the previous C class had it). Though the prices seem a bit high - talk to any Jag employee in India and they believe (or are made to believe) that Jaguar is a notch above the German trio. Which they definitely are not.

It will be fun now seeing how the JLR service copes with the XE, considering this will sell more than any of their other vehicles.

It would be fun to watch to get service for XE and Indica side by Side. :) Tata need to improve their service network first rather than launching 2 new models every year.

Quote:

G30 that will have aluminium and carbon extensive construction and hybrid models too that will more than take back the handling crown
by my limited drive experience of new 7 , it will be surely different. All this carbon technology and gesture controls as well other gizmos are going to trickle down the lineup sooner or later.

I saw the car yesterday and I must say those wheels and the exhaust tips look nasty! The rest of the car seemed pretty decent. Won't mind seeing it in the mix of C's and 3's.

Interestingly this new engine is also in consideration to be used as a racing engine. More on that soon.

This car is going to change things for Jaguar in India. I can see a lot of buyers queuing up at the showrooms for this car. The other 3 Germans have become common and boring and have lost on the aspirational value tag. With Jaguar its been the opposite with them only launching the top of the line models in India before and hence enjoying a higher brand value.

I feel the alloys could have been a better design.

Also does this car come with a spare wheel or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 3906912)
It will be fun now seeing how the JLR service copes with the XE, considering this will sell more than any of their other vehicles.

Jaguar service centre's have already started getting a notorious reputation for ripping off customers. A friend complained of a mild humming noise in his 4 year old XJ and was sent a whopping bill of 6 lacs in Mumbai.

Moreover the Worli dealers workshop has now moved to somewhere near Mulund - almost 40 kms away from the dealership. Quite painful for south mumbai Jag owners.