Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th August 2019, 11:36   #481
BHPian

Default Re: Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Can some BMW owner or others throw light on following.

1. Does BMW warranty (normal or extended) covers road side assistance and coverage for tyres and alloys.

2. Is BMW secure cover add-on required in addition to outside insurance as it covers tyres as well as road side assistance.
1. No
2. Not really required. Please make sure to get comprehensive insurance coverage though - including engine/gearbox protection.
Old 7th August 2019, 23:28   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Does BMW warranty (normal or extended) covers road side assistance and coverage for tyres and alloys.
No.

BMW Secure covers it which you can buy separately every year during Insurance renewal. For 1st year its free.

Quote:
2. Is BMW secure cover add-on required in addition to outside insurance as it covers tyres as well as road side assistance.
If you use your BMW for touring and travel to interior parts of country. Must have.

If you car spends maximum time in city, not worth it.
Old 21st August 2019, 21:02   #483
Senior - BHPian

Dropped by BMW Showroom and had a quick look at X1 xLine, here are some changes. German keep doing little things and never advertise, unlike Japs.

Speedometer Console: Gone digital which was analog.
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-dsc01832.jpg

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-dsc01835.jpg

Before
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-dsc01845.jpg

Dashboard: Lower section made glossy. Bad idea, fingerprint magnet.
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-dsc01839.jpg

Before:
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-dsc01842.jpg

Power outlet at rear: Now you get two USB-C. I still prefer 12v socket for flexibility to connect different equipment.
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-dsc01837.jpg

Before:
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-dsc01844.jpg

Driver & Co-Driver seat: Made flat at front. Were uncomfortable to my X1.
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-dsc01831.jpg

Before:
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-dsc01841.jpg
el lobo 6061 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:34   #484
Senior - BHPian

Pity they didn't add the electric shifter or maybe they are saving that for the facelift
Old 1st September 2019, 15:09   #485

How it began:

We have always been a family of car enthusiasts. Having driven sedans and hatchbacks we decided it was time to step it up quite literally and thus, got an XUV 500 2014 model. In 2015 when the facelift XUV was launched, we just couldn't help ourselves and exchanged the old one for the latter.

All my life, I believed cars were all about their features and creature comforts as i thought every car is designed to be driven. Nothing special here, but features are what sets them apart and boy was I wrong.

After driving the XUV for 4 years including both models, I realized no matter how feature-rich or comfortable a car is, it's the engine and handling that really matters. It was an extremely late awakening for a self-proclaimed car enthusiast. I sold my XUV and had no problem finding a buyer as i had maintained her extremely well with care and concern.

I had an Alto auto and decided to stick with it till i had a few priorities sorted.

Temptation:

Had seen an ad about a car expo and decided to go check it out with my family. You have gotta love these things. Walked around and in and out of many car/SUVs and came out unimpressed. Then came across the premium brands. Normally these cars are locked and they only let you peep in from outside. There is also an extremely snobbish sales guy/girl hanging around with an air of "you can't afford this". Well, this time around it was different. All cars were accessible to the general crowd. I still remember the moment I sat in the X1. I was blown away by the build quality and the fit and finish. I have heard time and again about how people have described this. Always thought it was a personal opinion and not really a thing... a placebo if I may. It wasn't. You can tell straight away what rich and high quality plastics/leather can do for a car and it's amazing. I thought to myself, "what's the harm in one test drive?" Something many owners have said before!

It's actually very easy for a BMW dealer to sell his cars. All he has to do is somehow get the potential customers to go for a test drive. From there on the car pretty much sells itself. Enjoy the car for what it is - comfortable and silky smooth. He just adds on the seasoning with the thud of the doors closing and points it out to you to highlight the build quality. When you are in a happy place, he puts the car into sports mode. End result - take my money. Happened to me as well. Now, after driving the XUV, which by the way has one of the better diesel engines in my opinion with little or no turbo lag, it was only when I drove a friends humble Baleno that I realised my true calling. I was a petrol head.
I went ahead and booked my X1 - 20i. The first also for my dealer - Infinity, Navi Mumbai. No other petrol X1 was ever been booked and delivered through them. Then started the wait. I had to go away for a trip while my car came in and could not carry out the important PDI before I went any further. Hoping for the best, I asked them to go ahead.

Here she comes :

That was the hardest and most excruciating wait for a car, which actually was not much, but seemed like eternity. And then came the day of delivery. I booked my car from Infinity Motors. The sales team was nice right up till the point I paid up and then they seemed to not care as much. The delivery was delayed as the sales rep had another customer who was there to take a look and potentially book a car, so we were made to wait. Not the best feeling when you come in so excited.

Finished all the paper work and headed down to the delivery bay. This car is something I have seen many times before on the road, so I wasn't expecting to be surprised just excited, super excited, until i peeped inside. The gear shifter!!! Jumped with joy when I saw that it was the slick shifter that I always wanted. Turns out that BMW offered the shifter only in the petrol model. Wow!

The petrol, in my opinion, is something that has the best of both worlds but misses out on all BMW finance offers like the assured buy back, etc for some reason. I won't go on and on about the car as many of the fellow owners have done a fantastic job in reviewing it and honestly, I don't think I can keep up.

My experience:

PROS -

1. The Drive -
Petrol engine is explosive to drive, specially from stop. It takes off, leaving you pinned to the back of the seat. Its the quicker of the two. With launch control activated, it will dart out (192 PS of power is a lot). I don't recommend doing this on public roads or at signals. The paddle shifters are effective and responsive to any inputs. Many a time I find myself in the comfort mode looking for that little extra when i'm overtaking or passing in between/around some vehicles. That's when this comes in and makes my day. The manual will hold the gears and rev all the way up and not intervene giving you full control. This is reassuring and exhilarating.

2.The steering is the second highlight of this package. So amazing to hold and just the right size, it's a point and shoot combination. The feel and feedback is nothing like i have ever experienced before. The size of this crossover is never felt during the drive. It handles exactly like a car with the added ground clearance and practicality. This also make it just that little bit more chuckable around corners and holds its line extremely well.

3. The exhaust sounds so meaty especially during a cold start. It's my favorite way to start the day. Sometimes, I have my wife rev the engine only to hear that cracking and popping, although its not like the other heavyweight petrols or even the VRS, it is a smaller, milder version.

4.The gear shifter!! Absolutely love it. So easy to use and looks fantastic. It even self slots to park once the engine is turned off.

5. The engine is silky smooth and has some typical reactions from most people - some say its gliding over the road while others just can't stop saying the word smooth over and over again.

6.The Apple play connects seamlessly every single time in get and even at times when don't have my phone in my pocket and im close to my house !I prefer using Google maps for obvious reason even though the on board navigation is quite decent.

7.The attention to detail is really to die for - the stitching and materials! I had to go away for work for around 2 months and as soon as I got back and I sat in the car, the plushness and richness was just so new and impressive, I was left wondering if this was really my car!

8.The BMW badge is no joke on the road. One can experience the respect of other cars. No one will dare cut in or change lanes in front of you most times. Definitely a feel very good factor. Those dapper angel eyes (DRLs) can dazzle most cars into giving way.

9.The key fob has a bunch of cool features and honestly, I like using my key to lock and unlock, else this becomes a showpiece left in your pocket never to see the light of day.

CONS -

1.The tailgate! My biggest complaint is the build and operation of the tailgate. You have to bang it real hard and for a premium car. This is just not acceptable. It is extremely inconvenient especially at malls where the guard opens to inspect and does not close it with enough force (for obvious reasons) and soon after, while parking, the reverse camera won't turn on as the door open indicator is on! An electric option would have been much appreciated.

2. What I don't like much is the road noise or tyre noise inside the cabin. The engine is so quiet you hardly hear anything, but the tyre noise definitely spoils it for you.

3. The ride quality is good, but a little stiff and bumpy. This is expected and accepted as the car requires it as part of the handling. I wish there could be a better solution .

4. The rear tail lamps are still not LED!

5. Last is the small luxury details like providing window blinds and front parking sensors. These are available in cars of lower segments and honestly is not much to ask.

This is an initial ownership review. A long term will follow as I have driven the cars for only 3,000 km till now. Please see below the link for my review of this car on YouTube.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd September 2019 at 09:55. Reason: Typos, language
Pointerpins is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:31   #486
BHPian

Sick of these RFT tyres. The second time the front left Tyre burst. I have absolutely no confidence in them anymore. The tried and tested normal tubeless for Indian roads is what I'm thinking of now. Been reading quite a few posts by bhpians where they changed RFT to normal tubeless on their BMW's and I'm even more sure of the switch.
Any of you done that yet? If yes, which brand did you opt for?
I've done almost 20k km. The other tyres still not bad but I'm guessing I must change all 4.
Can you guys let me know your opinion about this?
Avior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 14:05   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avior View Post
Sick of these RFT tyres. The second time the front left Tyre burst. I have absolutely no confidence in them anymore. The tried and tested normal tubeless for Indian roads is what I'm thinking of now. Been reading quite a few posts by bhpians where they changed RFT to normal tubeless on their BMW's and I'm even more sure of the switch.
Any of you done that yet? If yes, which brand did you opt for?
I've done almost 20k km. The other tyres still not bad but I'm guessing I must change all 4.
Can you guys let me know your opinion about this?

I agree with you, one tyre of mine burst just 6 days after delivery.

However, I changed the tyre to continental RFT and I can tell you that it is much much better than the Pirelli that bmw offers as standard.

If you're actually looking at changing from RFT to tubeless then I've read on the forum somewhere that Yokohama C drive 2 (OEM on Mercedes) upsized to 235/50 is perfect for the X1.

But another thing to keep in mind is, after changing your tyres to tubeless you will experience better ride comfort but handling will take a toll and it won't handle the way it did before.

Any other queries let me know!
aman-bh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 00:41   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sick of these RFT tyres. The second time the front left Tyre burst.
How did it happen in both the cases? What was the foreign object?

Which make RFT are on your X1, Pirelli or Bridgestone?

Quote:
If yes, which brand did you opt for?
Michelin P3ST Rs. 11,000 or RFT you can go for Michelin P3ST ZP Rs. 15,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
I agree with you, one tyre of mine burst just 6 days after delivery.
What was the cause?
Old 3rd October 2019, 00:54   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerpins View Post
This is an initial ownership review. A long term will follow as I have driven the cars for only 3,000 km till now. Please see below the link for my review of this car on YouTube.
Really nice write up, thanks a lot for that. The electric shifter being present on the petrol is news for me.

For some reason I dont see the youtube link in your post, is this it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
What was the cause?
I faced a tyre burst one week into my ownership when I hit a pothole, It was not deep and neither did the impact feel too hard but the inside of the sidewall cracked and tyre came to 0 in 50 meters

After a few months and first service they did something to suspension and it seems to handle bad roads and even worse bumps without any issue. As usual service center folks are mysterious and say they did not do anything
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 15:55   #490
Senior - BHPian

Autoexpress UK: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/x1...x1-2019-review
Attached Thumbnails
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-01_49.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-02_49.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-03_49.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-06_44.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-07_42.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-08_42.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-09_40.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-10_40.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-11_35.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-12_33.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-13_32.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-14_30.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-15_27.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-16_23.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-17_23.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-18_22.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-19_18.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-20_17.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-21_15.jpg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-23_14.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 16:40   #491
BHPian

Thanks Aman and El Lobo!!
The first tyre got a cut when I was on a 2 lane road and had to go off road for oncoming traffic. The tyre got a side wall cut.
The second time the tyre got a slight cut but didn't get damaged. I don't know how that happened but it gave way when it went in a pot hole on the highway.
I used to maintain tyre pressure 32 when driving alone and 35 when loaded with luggage and passengers. Both the times it was 35. Nitrogen.

Original tyre profile is 225/50/18

So I spoke to 4 tyres dealers in Pune and this is what I've come back with:

DEALER 1:
said Don't change to tubeless. If RFT cannot stand a pothole, tubeless will never and you will blow and change ur tyres every now and then. He also didn't have anything available. Neither RFT nor non-RFT

DEALER 2:
Hankook: 225/55/18 - RS 12,800 - 6 months unconditional warranty
Good Year: 235/50/18 - Rs 16,000 - 2 years unconditional warranty.

DEALER 3:
Pirelli: 225/50/18 - RS 14,500
Yokohama: 235/50/18 - RS 18,100
Dunlop: 235/50/81 - RS 13,800

DEALER 4:
Falken: 225/50/18 - RS 11,500 - 2 years unconditional warranty.

Now, only Pirelli and Falken are available in the original size and I'm not too confident of Pirelli coz of what I've been thru with RFT. And Falken has a 2 year warranty. So kind of inclining towards them.

I'm not too sure about up-sizing. One of the dealer did mention that as a thumb rule the upsize should not increase the total circumference of the tyre by more than 3%.

At this moment I'm inclined towards Falken because of price, warranty, Japanese built, availability.
If Hankook had a 2 year warranty, I'd prefer that because it's aspect ratio is 55 so increases the wall height a bit.

I'd love to hear your comments.
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:20   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aman and El Lobo!!

At this moment I'm inclined towards Falken because of price, warranty, Japanese built, availability.
If Hankook had a 2 year warranty, I'd prefer that because it's aspect ratio is 55 so increases the wall height a bit.

I'd love to hear your comments.
One of my colleague had changed to Hankook and it's serving him well without any issues. I don't have much feedback on Falken though. Mine came with Bridgestone Turazna RFT and the ride is definitely better compared to continental. I've clocked ~1000 kms on loose gravel as well as potholes and it seems to be holding on well. Touchwood.
Old 5th October 2019, 01:59   #493
BHPian

Update to my Tyre dilemma:
BMW quoted 21k for Bridgestone RFT and then offered 20% discount. I was quite surprised.
I called a local Bridgestone dealer and he offered. Non RFT 235/45/18 for 18k something. I told him about BMW pricing for RFT. He asked me to confirm the tyre manufacturing date from BMW.
That prompted me to check the manufacturing date for the one which burst. I had a previous burst in December 2018 and the new tyre was supplied by BMW Aurangabad. Today on checking I found out that it was a July '17 manufactured tyre. Fitted for me 1.5 years later. My bad that I never knew about all this until now.
Coming back, I called up BMW Pune and asked them the manufacturing date, heard the lack of confidence in his voice when he tried to assure me tyre would not be 4-5 yrs old. I asked him to give me the exact week,year. He promised to call back but never did. I never bothered to call.
Spoke to a few other dealers in Pune and they suggested Falken too. One of them asked my running km for the existing tyres (19,750km) and he suggested that I change only the front two as of now and change the rear RFT's after 8-10km.
Having wrecked my brains for the last 3 days, I'm going to give Falken a shot and change the front 2 or maybe even all 4 tomorrow morning. And will see how it goes.
Old 6th October 2019, 00:30   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BMW quoted 21k for Bridgestone RFT and then offered 20% discount. I was quite surprised.
That is a pretty good deal.

X1 has 2 options for RFT (Placed them in Order of preference)
1. Bridgestone Turanza T001I
2. Pirelli Cinturato P7

Bridgestone are more tough and abuse friendly. Pirelli on the other hand are softer and give a very good drive feel but their nature of being soft is its biggest trouble. Treads chip off and pick up lots of stones.

I'm currently using 2 Pirelli and 2 Bridgestone.

Quote:
Having wrecked my brains for the last 3 days, I'm going to give Falken a shot and change the front 2 or maybe even all 4 tomorrow morning. And will see how it goes.
Falken with 2 years unconditional warranty plus stock tire size would be my choice given the options.

Donut tyre on X1 is Hankook.

I would suggest to change all 4 to tubeless to get perfect ride.

Remember BMW will void suspension warranty for change of tyres to Non-RFT.
Old 6th October 2019, 07:17   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Non RFT 235/45/18 for 18k something.
RFT's are almost always expensive. Do check for Michelin as well. 21 K with 20 % Discount is a good price. If you want to stick with RFT, negotiate free fitment with BMW as they charge high for labour and balancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Switch to tubeless to get perfect ride.

Quote:
Remember BMW will void suspension warranty for change of tyres to Non-RFT.
No, it's not correct. Sometimes they will give a crap about change in handling but will have no answer if you ask them why "M" cars have non-RFT's
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed