Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st December 2020, 18:15   #556

Default Re: Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

We have a BMW X1 xDrive 20d xLine, purchased in Feb ‘17. The car is about to complete 4 years, and has given us a peaceful ownership experience, and sheer driving pleasure on the highways. The car has the older iDrive system, without apple car play (a feature that now is ubiquitous). Is there anyway to upgrade the iDrive system along with the supporting electronics, to support apple car play? I checked with Deutsche Motoren in whitefield - they are stating that this cannot be done.

PS: My family members have been spoilt by driving other cars from lower segments that sport apple car play - that’s why this question.
Old 11th February 2021, 19:56   #557
BHPian

Got ceramic coating done from BMW ASS on my 2019 X120dsline. While the swirl marks have gone away and there is more shine, the yellowness hasn't gone away completely. Any suggestions on what can be done? Should I request the dealer to redo the detailing or is this level of yellow tinge normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-whatsapp-image-20210211-7.53.02-pm.jpeg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-whatsapp-image-20210211-7.52.30-pm.jpeg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-whatsapp-image-20210211-7.53.26-pm.jpeg  

Old 21st February 2021, 22:07   #558
RJV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
I've been using the 235/50 R18 Yoko C drive tubeless tyres for the past 3 years. Threw away the stock RFT in the first year thanks to a tyre burst (blessing in disguise).
+1. I have an X1 X Line S drive bought in Feb 2018. The ODO is currently at 42XXX. Changed the tyres to tubeless at around 20000 KMS (235/50 R18) and there was a substantial change in ride quality. I would strongly recommend a change to tubeless tyres to fellow X1 users.

Also it an added advantage that we have a proper dedicated spare wheel compartment in the boot for the extra tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT
My X1s battery gave up last week and that's when I logged in and saw your post. Hope this will be helpful for all the X1 owners.
Could you elaborate more on this? How much time did your battery last, was it the original battery you were running on, you got it changed at an authorized service center or from a FNG, and the costs involved?

PS - The pictures shared by you of your ride is beautiful.
RJV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:21   #559
BHPian

Hello,

Posting after a while. After 3 years of terrible ride experience and uncertain highway rides with the Pirelli RFTs I finally decided to ditch the RFTs all together. This step was majorly after our front right tire got torn off completely while on the highway on our way to Rajasthan and our trip got delayed by 3hrs because the donut we had has certain limitations. Earlier also we have faced such problems with the tires but this incident really got to us because it was damn important to reach on time.

On our way back we bought a new tire from a local dealer which was 150km away from where the tire burst, our donut helped us reach there since the RFT was just gone. No RFT replacement was available anywhere nearby. It was a tubeless tire, stock size, Bridgestone Turanza 225/50/R18, now the 800km drive back home on a front wheel driven car with left tire RFT and right tire a tubeless. This drive was alone enough to convince me for the switch.

The left suspension feel, sounds on every bump and road noise were noticeably unpleasant as compared to the tubeless which was just gliding smoothly. I came back the whole distance without putting on any music just to notice these differences. Now, I have the 17'' Turanzas in my VW T-Roc and have done 18,000 km in it so I can safely say it's not a bad tire at all. My T-Roc on a nicely made highway, 80km/h, low rpm is almost EV levels of silent so it's only the tire noise coming in and its decently silent and city performance is above average as well.

Came back started contacting dealers. I was pretty clear that I wanted (in the order of preference) Michelin, Yoko or Bridgestone. Now in Delhi, there's severe shortage of Michelin and Yoko both. Specially in the odd size of 225/50/R18, the options were severely limited in my first 2 preferred brands. So after a day spent on researching and calls I got my hands on 2 options:-

Option 1:- Michelin Primacy 4 ---> 235/50/R18

Option 2:- Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ---> 245/40/R18

I went with the option 1 simply because of the primary driver of the car, his way of driving and majorly due to the intended use of the car.

235/50/R18 seemed like the best of all the worlds for the X1. I've only driven them for 90km yet and the difference is HUGE. The steering weighs up nicely, the road noise has gone down drastically and that piece of mind of not ripping the tire apart on a pothole.

Hope this helps anyone who was in doubt about the shift from RFTs. Just note that I'm not saying RFTs are bad but I'm definitely saying those stock Pirellis are total crap. Maybe if it was a 3 series or 5 I would've gone with the PS4 but for now, will ride on the Primacy 4.
namanchaudhary is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed