Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2016, 21:20   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

Thats indeed an awesome package from BMW! The xDrive20d xLine looks pretty well-priced as well when compared to its competitors. And a Japanese gearbox as well - impact of BMW's collaboration with Toyota?
Old 6th February 2016, 21:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

To a miniscule number of people this is a proper demise of the car, although its been coming for quite sometime now. Soon the 1-series will get a FWD frame.

Never used to see this as a SUV, despite the marketing jargon. It was always a wagon, roughly of the size of the hugely desirable E30 3-series wagon with a much welcome ground clearance for our conditions.

So one could see it as a 3-series from the past, albeit one that was jacked up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Will not touch this car with a barge pole ! Front wheel drive....shame on you BMW.
So agree with this statement. The pressure to remain in the rat race though.

People will like this contraption for the additional bells and whistles it brings, no one will miss what's gone, the DNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post
The top 2 models, Xdrive 20d xLine and Xdrive20d M sport, have AWD system.
AWD just doesn't do it. Besides, it will have the inherent front end bias. A steering that's not corrupted by the drivetrain remains desirable (which is why, they wont ever take the 3/5/7 in this territory, or maybe someday they will)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post
At 40L Ex-show room (Delhi) price, the M sport is ridiculously expensive, bordering on X3 and 5 series (with discounts), territory!
And that 5 is a proper Beemmer!
Old 8th February 2016, 09:02   #33
Team-BHP Support

If I were Mercedes, I would be very scared. The X1 could mop up the A, GLA and maybe B Class sales simply by having more space, power and now a spare wheel. The case for the X3 is also questionable
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 12:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

I have the current X1 and to be quite honest this is much much better than that. Can't believe that huge boot space, mine is limited because I have the extra spare wheel in my boot itself.

Also mine has huge wear and black marks on the interior's especially the door handles which were beige in color. It's great to know that BMW has made it black in color now so it can withstand the trials of time.

From the long list of all 1st gen X1's shortcomings one thing I really loved most about the X1 is it's rear wheel drive architecture and driving pleasure. No front wheel drive can ever match it, so stay away from the FWD if you are after BMW's famed DNA.
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 13:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

This car may not appeal to purists and front wheel drive is one reason, the fact is bmw already makes 2 front wheel drive models and in utility segments like MPVs and SUVS, practicality and convenience outweighs the purity of rear wheel drive and driving pleasure.

The car has a powerful engine it's economical (two wheel drive) and has good grip levels of you go for the four wheel drive version. An average buyer will be impressed with the high driving position, spacious cabin, especially the rear seats, and the large boot, which now takes a space saver without much of a sweat. The majority of bmw buyers don't care for the driving experience, they want a posh badge that announces they are doing well. Bmw hasn't abandoned the purists, like porsche, they are making sure that buyers stay within the brand.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 15:40   #36
Team-BHP Support

This is an INCREDIBLE product. If I had been in the market today, I may well have picked this over the GT.

Clinchers: Proper spare wheel in wheel space not intruding into a very generous 500 ltr boot. Retained flexibility of dropping down seats etc. Looks more spacious now overall. M sports steering. And the interiors look proper luxurious now. I could go on but this is an incredible product.

Well done BMW!!
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 22:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Any details about the XDrive system?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 9th February 2016, 00:19   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Any details about the XDrive system?

Regards
Sutripta
Its all wheel drive on demand. Drives the front wheels till it needs to transfer power behind. Also 100% can be transferred to each axle.
Old 9th February 2016, 06:51   #39
BHPian

Another one from Oz, the designer did a great job of liberating space inside the cabin. Love the looks of this one and the insides too.
Mercedes will have a hard time selling the product offering especially when the base model is priced well.
Old 9th February 2016, 11:47   #40
BHPian

DNA mutation or not, with the new X1 BMW has a clear winner. The astonishing increase in rear sear space coupled with the spare wheel makes it a serious competition for the Q3 and GLA.
Also at the auto expo there was an X1 placed next to the orange X3 and with the rear doors open, it was very difficult to figure out right away which car had more rear bench space.
Some on this thread have mentioned the ridiculous pricing but haven't all manufacturers across the board increased prices. And the these manufacturers have discounts throughout the year.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 12:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Seems like BMW have launched a competent update to its high selling X1 albeit in a front wheel drive avataar (which has ruffled quite a few feather of enthusiasts).

Space was an issue in the earlier one (comparatively) which would have got better with the stretch in this model and properly kitted with the luxuries one would expect from the propeller badge manufacturer.
Old 9th February 2016, 14:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
To a miniscule number of people this is a proper demise of the car, although its been coming for quite sometime now. Soon the 1-series will get a FWD frame.

Never used to see this as a SUV, despite the marketing jargon. It was always a wagon, roughly of the size of the hugely desirable E30 3-series wagon with a much welcome ground clearance for our conditions.

So one could see it as a 3-series from the past, albeit one that was jacked up a bit.

So agree with this statement. The pressure to remain in the rat race though.

People will like this contraption for the additional bells and whistles it brings, no one will miss what's gone, the DNA.
The Original X1 was anything but exciting for us to moan about lost DNA. If anything it was something in between that BMW product placement worked on to find a place for aspirants to buy. No offence meant to any owners.
I believe BMW have made the right call by providing a meaningful vehicle that will sell based on what it is and not what it aspired to be. In the era of forced induction, efficiency and emission norms, this is a proper vehicle for people to buy and use it for its intended purpose. IT's not an enthusiast choice but a badge whilst being a proper car.
I would join your bandwagon if the three was ever converted to front wheel for the lack of rear legroom, then the DNA is surely tainted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
This is an INCREDIBLE product. If I had been in the market today, I may well have picked this over the GT.

Clinchers: Proper spare wheel in wheel space not intruding into a very generous 500 ltr boot. Retained flexibility of dropping down seats etc. Looks more spacious now overall. M sports steering. And the interiors look proper luxurious now. I could go on but this is an incredible product.

Well done BMW!!
I would commend BMW and product as such should help them give their market share some hope.
Old 9th February 2016, 15:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-tya View Post
The Original X1 was anything but exciting for us to moan about lost DNA.
I hope this statement is backed up by actual driving experience and then too its a matter of preference.

As far as some saw it, it had a decently powerful diesel (not a scorcher though), with rear wheel drive, compact size and most importantly for Indian conditions, a much usable ground clearance.

Yes it wasn't a "premium featureful package", which probably the current one is, will keep the demographic happy.
Old 9th February 2016, 15:57   #44
BHPian

Not only is this the first FWD BMW in India, it may be based on a Mini, if this article is to be believed:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...review-un-bmw/
Old 9th February 2016, 15:59   #45
BHPian

The new X1 is a phenomenal product that is well priced (after discounts start to pour in). I like how BMW has added the M sport variants to the line up. Only Audi did it till now with the S line. Mercedes is yet to embark on this with the AMG line models, there have been a couple in the past but only as special additions.

The M sport X1 looks very sporty and fun, backed by the 190 HP engine. The only downside I see is the long gear lever and ASIN gearbox. Can it match ZF, i am not sure.

This will also spark a conflict between the 3 series and X1 buyers. Is 3 series still a better overall value proposition and car than the X1?

PS: For me the panoramic sunroof compensates for the rear wheel drive on the 3.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed