Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2016, 15:30   #76
BHPian

Re: Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The tyre noise is probably because of the run flats which one should probably swap for tubeless at delivery itself as BMW's now have spare wheels.

Are Mumbai dealers quoting a waiting period on the X1 mid model? What are the ex-showroom Mumbai prices?
did not ask the waiting period. like i said may be due to run flats but the noise level was so high that my head started buzzing in 20 minutes.
base model is 35 on road thane, s line 41. will update once the dealer looks at the issue and i have test drive again.
i did a test drive on a sline (2 wheel drive variant). also to add the sun roof is huge and the sitting position very high.

Last edited by nvluv : 14th May 2016 at 15:32.
Old 16th May 2016, 11:50   #77
Senior - BHPian

Please excuse me if my doubt is out of ignorance

Engine spec wise I find all variants same. What makes one chip in that extra for sDrive XLine and xDrive XLine over the Expedition ? I agree you get 1 inch extra wheels, sunroof and couple of other things. What if I dont value any of it and my usage is 80% city and 20% highway ? To put it in perspective: I would have opened my sunroof couple of times in the entire year if my previous rides had one ! Would I love to breath the hot air or expose myself to sun stroke ? Absolutely NO ! Even the light that can filter through the sun roof can worsen my psoriasis affected scalp skin

I have high respect for lot of members here who really know what they drive and why they chose it. Love to hear some useful feedback for this confused soul !!

To me, its just a snob value for my present business. A long list of features do not excite me at all ! As mentioned in my previous post, my only worry is the low GC of 165mm, the lowest in this or even lower segment SUVs.
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 12:18   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Please excuse me if my doubt is out of ignorance

Engine spec wise I find all variants same. What makes one chip in that extra for sDrive XLine and xDrive XLine over the Expedition ? I agree you get 1 inch extra wheels, sunroof and couple of other things. What if I dont value any of it and my usage is 80% city and 20% highway ? To put it in perspective: I would have opened my sunroof couple of times in the entire year if my previous rides had one ! Would I love to breath the hot air or expose myself to sun stroke ? Absolutely NO ! Even the light that can filter through the sun roof can worsen my psoriasis affected scalp skin

I have high respect for lot of members here who really know what they drive and why they chose it. Love to hear some useful feedback for this confused soul !!

To me, its just a snob value for my present business. A long list of features do not excite me at all ! As mentioned in my previous post, my only worry is the low GC of 165mm, the lowest in this or even lower segment SUVs.
I have checked out both the cars and was almost going to book the Expedition. The on road difference between expedition and xline fwd is 6 lakhs on road here in Ahmedabad. Do I personally think its worth it? No.

That said the roof in the X1 is the biggest I have seen it basically extends behind the rear seat ofcourse opens up only halfway. I did love the ambient lighting in the car which gave it a cool quotient. You would miss the LED lights in the inside and get your normal yellow ones. The black gloss looks pretty decent so thats not a big miss compared to the walnut lay ins. Other difference is the use of chrome but again it did not make a huge difference. You miss out on the ability to adjust the rear seat back and forth but that wouldn't matter if you don't have luggage for your highway trips.

The only mechanical change is the transmission. The speed sport in the upper models is known to be better than the normal sport transmission. All in all the main things you would miss is the transmission, huge panoramic roof and ambient lighting. But is those few things worth 6 lakhs? Not for me.
kartavya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 12:53   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
I have checked out both the cars and was almost going to book the Expedition. The on road difference between expedition and xline fwd is 6 lakhs on road here in Ahmedabad. Do I personally think its worth it? No.
Thanks buddy for the reply. I was thinking I am the only one who smoked the wrong thing ! I rarely open the window glasses unless someone inside had excess potato or daal Sunroof is not going to make any difference to me !

Bangalore TD vehicle is yet to arrive, no committed dates ! X1 launch was kept 40 kms away (city outskirts showroom) although there is a dealer showroom middle of the city.

Coming to the opinions from the family: My bro in law had a brand new 7 series, from the same dealer few years back. His entire user experience was negative and cost of maintenance was more than double of what he was explained at delivery. He had lot of highway runs and tires burst twice during his long drives. Once he was stranded on the highway (middle of the night) with entire family, waiting for 2 hours to get a back up from 24/7 road assistance ! He would never ever buy another wheel from the brand.
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:18   #80
BHPian

Took a TD over the weekend of the xLine 2wd in Infinity Cars, Indore. And loved the vehicle.
Was looking for a car to replace my vRS anbd the Grand Vitara and I like this new X1.

I have yet driven the GLA and this and have not driven the Audi Q3, compared to the GLA this is so much better,
the engine is more responsive and has way less turbo lag compared to the GLA.
I also like the interior room much better in the X1, I felt my head was touching the roof on the GLA. (I am 6Ft.)
Also the fact that the GLA has a spare inside the boot is another minus for the GLA.

Have been given a quote of 35.65Lacs, on Road in Bhopal for the X1 Expidition,
I would have loved the paddle shifters and Sunroof which are omitted in this version but it was asking a 6Lacs premium.
Have been contemplating between the Alpine White and the Mineral white, will most likely get the Alpine white.
Delivery will be within 30 days of the booking, for the Alpine White.
nanu28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 14:16   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2016 BMW X1 has started it's production run at BMW's assembly plant at Chennai.

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-2016bmwx1rollsoutfromchennaiplant.jpg

The all-new X1 was launched during the 2016 Auto Expo at a pricing of Rs 29.9 - 39.9 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi.

BMW India is offering the X1 in four trims - X1 sDrive20d Expedition, X1 sDrive20d xLine, X1 xDrive20d xLine and the X1 xDrive20d M Sport - all powered by a 2.0L diesel producing 190PS of power and 400Nm of torque, paired to an 8-speed Steptronic AT box.

Quote:
The 2016 X1 receives twin circular LED headlamps, the signature kidney grille, fog lamps and a redesigned front bumper, LED tail lamps, alloy wheels and a dual exhaust setup. Coming to the interiors, the new X1 receives electrically adjustable front driver seat and passenger seat, panoramic sunroof, ambient lighting, a 6.5 inch infotainment system.

Safety features on the 2016 X1 include six air bags, ABS with brake assist, DSC with Dynamic Traction Control, Cornering Brake Control, Hill Descent Control, Side-impact Protection, electronic vehicle immobilizer and crash sensor.
Motoroids
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 17:49   #82
BHPian

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

Got to test drive the X1 today. It was an X Drive variant (not the Msport). Managed a pretty long one - about 20 kms though could not test the handling and ride as much as I wanted to. Overall I am impressed with this. I had done a TD of the X3 sometime back and in that context this is a real good offering from BMW.

+
Spacious - good rear leg room, head room. Front seat offers the driver ample space and support.
Good quality interiors and nice design.
Long list of features and functionality
Refined 2 litre engine with good grunt and mid range
Looks, looks and looks. A more proportioned and classy looking beemer compared to the old X1.

-
No reverse camera and cruise controls. Gosh even under 10 Lakh vehicles have this and can't understand why BMW missed these
Inadequate under thigh support for the rear passengers
Horn very difficult to apply (from a Bangalore context this is a pain)
Poor GC - only 165 mm for an SUV felt sub optimal though did manage to ride over potholed roads and humps without scraping the under body.
Ride felt a little hard (in bumps could feel a thud sound)

The drive was nice. Got to test the various modes Eco, comfort and Sport. In the sport mode the steering felt a little more tight and the car sprang from start. The engine is quite silent. Intact I felt the noise insulation better than X3 that I drove a few weeks back. Acceleration brought a smile on my face though one can hear the engine growl with the music switched off, but I kinda liked that noise. Couldn't drive over 60kmph since I did not get open stretches, but I liked the handling in the minimal swerves and turns I took. Haven't driven the old X1 but it was comparable to the X3. X3 felt a little more planted and stable though.

The rear view is a little less due to a small rear window and relatively small side view mirrors. This is where one sorely misses a rear view camera. At Rs 47L on road in Blr, it is still quite expensive.

Overall I felt this is a great offering from BMW and should sell well. It is a fantastic balance of looks, features, performance and space. I am now seriously considering this as my next buy.

Last edited by nurni76 : 26th May 2016 at 17:50.
nurni76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 18:13   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Got to test drive the X1 today...Poor GC - only 165 mm for an SUV felt sub optimal though did manage to ride over potholed roads and humps without scraping the under body..... due to a small rear window and relatively small side view mirrors. This is where one sorely misses a rear view camera. At Rs 47L on road in Blr, it is still quite expensive....
Poor GC is the only concern I asked my SA, but he said it doesn't vary based on single or full load. I remember my Fiesta used to hit every speed breaker in the city with 4 adults inside but could glide over all of them single driven. Yet to figure out on X1 with a TD. I hear even an S Cross has a pop down rear camera, neatly placed under hood. Weird why BMW does not consider such basic things !!
Old 26th May 2016, 18:25   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Poor GC is the only concern I asked my SA, but he said it doesn't vary based on single or full load. I remember my Fiesta used to hit every speed breaker in the city with 4 adults inside but could glide over all of them single driven. Yet to figure out on X1 with a TD. I hear even an S Cross has a pop down rear camera, neatly placed under hood. Weird why BMW does not consider such basic things !!

Yes GC is a concern atleast in my mind. I did the TD with 2 adults (including me) and my 12 year old son at the back. So can't comment on GC affecting drive over potholes and humps if it is fully loaded. In fact I TD over a very bad stretch with very large potholes and did not scrape (though was extremely slow and careful). Hope as your SA said the GC doesn't vary as much with a full load.
Old 26th May 2016, 18:34   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....over a very bad stretch with very large potholes and did not scrape (though was extremely slow and careful).
Do potholes give that kind of risk to the underbody unless its a kind of village road after monsoon (wiped out chunks of road in the heavy rains) ? I believe it can only give a feel about the suspension. GC has to be tested on unscientifically created speed breakers which I feel are more in Bangalore
Old 26th May 2016, 18:49   #86
BHPian

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Do potholes give that kind of risk to the underbody unless its a kind of village road after monsoon (wiped out chunks of road in the heavy rains) ? I believe it can only give a feel about the suspension. GC has to be tested on unscientifically created speed breakers which I feel are more in Bangalore

I did that too buddy (I am a fellow Bangalorean and understand your predicament). There is one large unscientifically created hump right in front of my house. Thankfully even in that there was no underbody scraping. Again as I said not sure if the same in full load. When I said bad stretch, it had potholes and strange undulations (like humps) where there was no underbody scraping. On that same stretch Toyota Etios rear bumper scraped when I was returning from the airport yesterday though that was fully loaded including the boot.

Last edited by nurni76 : 26th May 2016 at 19:10.
Old 26th May 2016, 18:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did that too buddy....same stretch Toyota Etios rear bumper scraped when I was returning from the airport yesterday though that was fully loaded including the boot.
Although my SA called me when the TD vehicle arrived few days back, I am yet to find time ! If you dont mind, I can call you when I do it, ideally first weekend of June. I will also take another buddy with me. Let's take it full load to the same stretches. It makes more sense than regretting about the GC after purchase. Don't you think so ?
Old 26th May 2016, 19:07   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Although my SA called me when the TD vehicle arrived few days back, I am yet to find time ! If you dont mind, I can call you when I do it, ideally first weekend of June. I will also take another buddy with me. Let's take it full load to the same stretches. It makes more sense than regretting about the GC after purchase. Don't you think so ?

Sure I am fine with that. I will PM you my contacts and we can coordinate when you are ready. I stay in the Bellandur area and so we can do that stretch if that works for you.
Old 26th May 2016, 19:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... I stay in the Bellandur area and so we can do that stretch if that works for you.
No issues, its good to take a full stretch of south Bangalore, even little bit of hills in the Anekal area if the dealer agrees, I really doubt that ! Hoping to catch up soon, unless your fingers are itching to sign the cheque immediately
Old 26th May 2016, 19:22   #90
BHPian

Quote:
No issues, its good to take a full stretch of south Bangalore, even little bit of hills in the Anekal area if the dealer agrees, I really doubt that ! Hoping to catch up soon, unless your fingers are itching to sign the cheque immediately

I do like this car, but willing to accompany you just to drive and get driven again in this 😊. While on this, we don't have full blown official TD on X1. Can we expect this from the mods anytime soon?

Most Viewed