Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2016, 15:50   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
My experience of their art leather is that it's pretty rubbish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I find it OK. Not that bad as it sounds
Well not rubbish and not that good too. I just got back from a TD of the X1 2WD version. Also checked out a M Sport variant and really liked the leather. However I cannot afford the M Sport variant.

Overall I was pretty impressed with the car. Still debated whether the Base or the Mid variant is better.

The Expedition is Rs.3924020/- and the xLine is Rs. 4561253/- in Goa (after Road Tax was hiked to 18%).

So basically what I get extra in the xLine is:
- Sunroof
- Paddle Shifters
- 17" Alloys (instead of 16")
- Silver Grill, Side skirts, diffuser, roof rails and a few other external items (instead of black/body colour)
- Electrically folding rear seats
- Ambiente lighting
- Textured wood instead of Gloss Black interior trims.

For this I pay Rs.637233/-. The SA told me that for around 2.9 L they'll give me the 18" Wheels in exchange and get all the above mentioned parts painted silver. I said I'd rather have just the base variant with the Paddle Shifter fitted. He said he'll get a quote for that. They just did it for a 320D.

Extended warranty is 33K per year. You can go up to 6 years (4 years extra) which I thought was worth it. I can opt for it later too and even if I opt for a years and decide to upgrade to a few more years, I just pay the difference. However if prices change, the new prices will be applicable.

The registration on the xLine works out to Rs. 783816/- in Goa. The same in Pondicherry works out to Rs. 190000/- including the underhand amount. That's a massive 5.9 L saving. Only problem is you need to drive to Pondicherry to get the car registered. Does anyone know if this can be managed without taking the car there?

One good thing about the new X1 is I can get black interiors instead of beige on any variant in any colour.

The discount offered on the xLine was about 2L. If I can get this down a bit more I will seriously consider this.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 12:54   #182
BHPian

I've zeroed down on the X1 S drive as an upgrade from my Jetta(it's a tough car to upgrade from). Test drove it a few days back and here are my observations-

1. Great looks. Can be mistaken for an X3 or even an X5 from good distance. Best looking Compact SUV. Y spoke alloys look smashing.

2. Spacious interior. Enough space that a family will ever need. Good headroom and legroom compared to the competition. Panoramic sunroof makes the interior feel even more airy. The black on black combination looks great in my opinion. I will have to go for the beige option since that's what everyone in my family liked. But on the beige combo, they have gone overboard with beige. Everything from door pads to lower dashboard to roofline is beige, & without sun films there will be a lot of light entering the cabin.

3. i drive felt better compared to mercs command system. Yet to compare it with Q3s MMI. The screen is a tad smaller on lower versions but good resolution and interface makes up for it.

4. Good build quality. Though I felt it lacked the heft of the Mercs.

5. Excellent performance. Enough power and the transmission does its job really smooth. It ain't easy to understand when she's shifting cogs. While in my Jetta a keen observer can feel the shifts in between. The combo felt pretty much alive with power available whenever you need. Paddle shifters & launch control from sdrive versions onwards. Engine too felt refined to me which is contradicting to what some others have mentioned.

6. Interiors look good. But material quality isn't as good as the Mercs. I like the x1s interior design more than the Q3 n GLA. Ambient lights look great too.

7. Seats are smaller compared to others in the segment. And on the S drive versions, thigh support is on the lower side. I'm a bit worried whether this will prove troublesome on longer journeys.

8. Brakes are a bit grabby so one has to get accustomed to its modulation. Sheds speed brilliantly though.

9. Ride comfort is good for a higher riding vehicle. But then if I'm comparing it to my Jetta obviously there's more vertical movement. Again this is something that is lingering in my mind with respect to this purchase. There's a firm side to the suspension but it didn't feel jarring BTW. That up and down bobbing motion typical to high GC cars can be felt in lower amounts.

10. Handles superbly for a C SUV. Steering doesn't feel lifeless and at the same time isn't too hard to handle. High speed stability is also brilliant.

11. Headlamps are led but the smaller lens is a dummy unit. And to my shock x1 doesn't have bending lights which my Jetta has. Bending lights are very helpful in ghat sections so x1 owners please enlighten me on how's the headlamp performance.

12. So many features cut from international versions. Why BMW? No powered tailgate, CD player, headlamp washers, cruise control, multiple colour combinations for interiors, chrome on the window line (not a fan of chrome but this looks good on the x1), navigation(only on msport) etc..

Now guys please help me on the following facts.

I couldn't hear much road noise as many members have complained here. TD was at noon so AC blower was at good speed is it because of that?

Is it advisable to swap the RFTs to tubeless on delivery itself? I'm more concerned about ride comfort and noise than handling. Will it void warranty? Also I would like to upsize the tyres to 235 section coz 225 on 18 inchers looks a bit under tyred to me.

And those who have test driven this car please pen down your views here. Lack of a team bhp review is clearly a road block during a car purchase. Will we ever get one?

Finally can something be done on the seats to increase its thigh support? Like Stanley leather etc.. What will they do with the side airbags then?

Lots of questions I know but I'm really confused especially because my present Jetta is also a brilliant product. I don't want to compromise too much for a C SUV & brand upgrade. In the 40 lakh range, X1 is what I felt as the most practical choice and a more complete package. A4 TDi isn't launched yet & it will be more expensive too. GLA and Q3 is too small. C class didn't entice me as much as A4. And considering the non existent roads in many places in Kerala a SAV(as BMW calls it) should be a better choice isn't it. This will be my first C SUV so I'm indeed worried about whether I will hate the ride quality later. Add to that the above concerns too.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 15:56   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
I've zeroed down on the X1 S drive as an upgrade from my Jetta(it's a tough car to upgrade from). Test drove it a few days back and here are my observations-

.... The black on black combination looks great in my opinion. I will have to go for the beige option since that's what everyone in my family liked. But on the beige combo, they have gone overboard with beige. Everything from door pads to lower dashboard to roofline is beige, & without sun films there will be a lot of light entering the cabin.

Trust me please actively consider the black interiors. Bmw really overdoes the beige particularly in floor areas where there are several contact points with feet etc. its a nightmare to maintain. The black will look much nicer in my opinion.
Old 14th October 2016, 15:17   #184
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone confirm if the following offers are available for the X1:
1. Finance at 7.8% (I received a SMS of this offer but it said for select models)
2. BSI Free (Starting Plan)
Old 14th October 2016, 20:59   #185
BHPian

This is what was offered as BSI .... Refer the doc attached FYR

I too am confused on BSI & Extended Warranty ..... For someone who drives 1000/- KM a month & who needs longer service coverage, what would you suggest?

Is it worth paying 457585 Rupees for Service Plus 10/100 & additional 218040 Rupees for 6 Year No Limit Repair Inclusive / Extended Warranty? Kindly advise!

To answer 1st query : recent article in NDTV says the offers are ONLY for 3 Series range, 5 Series range and the X3.
Source - http://auto.ndtv.com/news/bmw-india-...season-1471760

I would have been happy if BMW extends the complimentary 'Service and Repair' plans valid for 3 years or 40,000km for recent X1 car buyers as well .....
Attached Files
File Type: docx BMW Service Inclusive Price List.docx (16.6 KB, 905 views)

Last edited by ecosport : 14th October 2016 at 21:05.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:24   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
.what I get extra in the xLine is:
- Sunroof
- Paddle Shifters
- Silver Grill, Side skirts, diffuser, roof rails and a few other external items (instead of black/body colour)
- Ambiente lighting
- Textured wood instead of Gloss Black interior trims...
Sunroof is not something you will miss in the indian weather, except in Goa where you want to stand and drive with your head out to the tourists or throw your girl friend out of the roof if she is nagging non-stop
Base variant has 17 inch wheels, I dont like the Y spoke alloys of the Xline anyway. Grill, side skirts etc look super cool in black, you should see my car in real to understand that. Some of the Xline owners said full black finish looks much better. Electrically folding rear seats = I wonder how many owners will ever fold their rear seats except for accommodating multiple surf boards. Ambient lighting = I agree most people may like it. Gloss dash board is not a disturbing factor while driving, it might attract dust and show it as well compared to the matt finish.

Quote:
..they have gone overboard with beige. Everything from door pads to lower dashboard to roofline is beige. Enough power and the transmission does its job really smooth.....on the S drive versions, thigh support is on the lower side. I'm a bit worried whether this will prove troublesome on longer journeys....Brakes are a bit grabby so one has to get accustomed to its modulation. Sheds speed brilliantly though.....there's more vertical movement. .....High speed stability is also brilliant....... x1 owners please enlighten me on how's the headlamp performance.
Is it advisable to swap the RFTs to tubeless on delivery itself? In the 40 lakh range, X1 is what I felt as the most practical choice and a more complete package.....And considering the non existent roads in many places in Kerala a SAV(as BMW calls it) should be a better choice isn't it.
I just finished a 7 days non stop drive from Bangalore - Muvattupuzha, Thodupuzha, Kottayam, Kayamkulam, Alleppey, Ernakulam and back to Bangalore yesterday evening with 3 adults and 2 kids (under 10). A total of 1400 kms of pure bliss. Mine is the SDrive and it never disappointed me at any points mentioned in your posts above. I chose beige because wife's car is full black. Its perfectly done, not overdone. Floor is black, I got a 3D black mat from Amazon and it gels well with the shape of the floor. Other than that, just a casual soap water wipe now and then on the beige areas, everything will be sparkling clean.

Take the car as 100% stock, dont change anything or add anything. You dont need anything else than the floor mats, a good quality duster and a mobile holder for dash (in case you use mobile navigation).

I have gone through the narrowest interior roads of Kerala where I would not dare to take my old Fiesta because of its low ground clearance. But X1 has surprised me all throughout my trip. I did 550 kms from Cochin to Bangalore home in 8 hours flat. TeamBHP rules do not permit to disclose the speeds I maintained but you can do a guess. The X1 never behaves different from what you expect of this car. We had started from The Gateway Hotel EKM at 5am on Friday in pitch dark and heavy rain. Headlights with the fog-lamps did 100% justice to a situation like that. I was doing 80 to 100 kmph until Angamaly where the rain stopped. Then I let the engine decide what it wants to do It gives you a non-stop smile on the highways when you see dozens of vehicles are pushed behind you every minute !! Go for it, you wont regret. Kerala I got too many eyes stuck on my car regardless of village or city ! DRLs are unique and noticeable from far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Trust me please actively consider the black interiors. Bmw really overdoes the beige particularly in floor areas where there are several contact points with feet etc. its a nightmare to maintain. The black will look much nicer in my opinion.
Floor is black and beige is very well done, not overdone. It gives a very premium feel inside. Black is just like any other cheaper car, nothing great about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
I too am confused on BSI & Extended Warranty ..... For someone who drives 1000/- KM a month & who needs longer service coverage, what would you suggest? .....
I did not take any BSI package nor some of the tbhpians who took delivery of the X1. Its a personal choice and more of a peace of mind. I dont intend to take it.
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-2.jpg

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-3.jpg

Last edited by shajufx : 15th October 2016 at 12:29.
shajufx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 14:19   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
So basically what I get extra in the xLine is:
- Sunroof
- Paddle Shifters
- Ambiente lighting
- Textured wood instead of Gloss Black interior trims.
Quote:
Sunroof is not something you will miss in the indian weather,
I am willing to live without a Sunroof. It's nice but I will probably not use it that much as I always drive my cars with AC all the time.

Quote:
except in Goa where you want to stand and drive with your head out to the tourists
That's something that the tourists would probably be doing if they had sunroofs.

Quote:
Base variant has 17 inch wheels, I dont like the Y spoke alloys of the Xline anyway.
Same here. I can live with 16". In fact I would prefer that.

Quote:
Grill, side skirts etc look super cool in black, you should see my car in real to understand that. Some of the Xline owners said full black finish looks much better.
I like that too.

Quote:
Electrically folding rear seats = I wonder how many owners will ever fold their rear seats except for accommodating multiple surf boards.
My +1.

Quote:
Ambient lighting = I agree most people may like it.
This is something I really like and want.

Quote:
Gloss dash board is not a disturbing factor while driving, it might attract dust and show it as well compared to the matt finish.
I prefer the gloss.

Quote:
I chose beige because wife's car is full black. Its perfectly done, not overdone. Floor is black, I got a 3D black mat from Amazon and it gels well with the shape of the floor. Other than that, just a casual soap water wipe now and then on the beige areas, everything will be sparkling clean.
As for me there is no doubt. I want black. I hate beige.

Quote:
Paddle Shifters
This is one feature I really want. Dealer said it can be retrofitted. They still need to confirm pricing though.

Basically the base model with paddle shifters, ambient lighting and leather seats would have been the ultimate package for me.

Finally it boils down to price. Just the paddle shifters will probably cost about 2 Lakhs at least. If I go with the alloys and paint It will come to around 4L. It then makes sense to just pay the 6L and go for the next model and also get the sunroof, ambient lighting and electrically folding seats.
Old 17th October 2016, 14:17   #188
Senior - BHPian

Something which I forgot to mention in my previous post. There is a metal clanking noise from the boot or under the boot when its driven through broken patches, unpaved roads etc. It sounds like a loose screw-driver or similar tool hitting the metal every now and then. I tried to figure out by removing every luggage from our travel but could not find the source. Now I am planning to remove the spare tire and all the tools this weekend and see. Although I reported this to BMW, they said most vehicles have this issue on bad roads, which I find very surprising !!
Old 17th October 2016, 14:50   #189
BHPian

Same status quo with me as well ....I was thinking it is due to boot door not getting closed properly .... I too removed all luggage except spare wheel .... there was still rattling sound behind! Of late, there is no sound and we could not narrow the source yet!
Old 17th October 2016, 15:37   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
.....Of late, there is no sound and we could not narrow the source yet!
Its more of a metal clanking than rattling. I am not sure if I am communicating the issue correctly. I searched the issue online and many X3 owners have discussed about it on the global forums. People have used some duct tapes around the boot opening area as read somewhere. But I am not sure if there is a valid solution to this issue.

To recall the noise correctly, its very similar to a boot with few tow hooks and spanners kept together, one hitting the other each time the wheels pass through a pot hole or broken road.
Old 17th October 2016, 15:46   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Something which I forgot to mention in my previous post. There is a metal clanking noise from the boot or under the boot when its driven through broken patches, unpaved roads etc. It sounds like a loose screw-driver or similar tool hitting the metal every now and then. I tried to figure out by removing every luggage from our travel but could not find the source. Now I am planning to remove the spare tire and all the tools this weekend and see. Although I reported this to BMW, they said most vehicles have this issue on bad roads, which I find very surprising !!
It could be the the metal attaching the spare to the car (the buckle that is).
Old 17th October 2016, 15:56   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
It could be the the metal attaching the spare to the car (the buckle that is).
Those are super tight. I feel its not from somewhere we see or touch easily. My doubt is on the boot locking mechanism which is not visible nor accessible to an owner. Anyway, its a very irritating noise on an uneven/broken/potholed road, non existent on the smooth roads !
Old 17th October 2016, 17:31   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i
Is it advisable to swap the RFTs to tubeless on delivery itself? I'm more concerned about ride comfort and noise than handling. Will it void warranty? Also I would like to upsize the tyres to 235 section coz 225 on 18 inchers looks a bit under tyred to me.

Finally can something be done on the seats to increase its thigh support? Like Stanley leather etc.. What will they do with the side airbags then?

Lots of questions I know but I'm really confused especially because my present Jetta is also a brilliant product. I don't want to compromise too much for a C SUV & brand upgrade. In the 40 lakh range, X1 is what I felt as the most practical choice and a more complete package. A4 TDi isn't launched yet & it will be more expensive too. GLA and Q3 is too small. C class didn't entice me as much as A4. And considering the non existent roads in many places in Kerala a SAV(as BMW calls it) should be a better choice isn't it. This will be my first C SUV so I'm indeed worried about whether I will hate the ride quality later. Add to that the above concerns too.
Honestly - if you're happy with the Jetta stick around with it for a little more time and don't rush into an upgrade you're not fully satisfied with.
I did that with the Laura purchase, and though I'm 95% satisfied, that 5% always bothers me (just because I felt that much more connected with the outgoing Fiesta, and I am guessing it is a similar case for you).
Since you're also open to sedans - why not look at the 320D with the massive discounts they have on offer (INR 9 - 10L off?) you may just get a more feature packed version at similar pricing.

Re: RFTs - do upgrade them. Though the newer tyres are much better than what we had on our E60 5 series, tubeless are still that much more better.
235 isn't a common size so availability may be difficult, but do get a set of good soft compound tyres (provided you don't drive much on poor roads - We've had no issues on 50 profile on the Skoda or with 18" rims on a friend's 530D except one needs to be a bit careful. The width of the vehicle was a bigger issue).
A good set of tyres will see road noise reduce and better ride + handling.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 17:53   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
...Re: RFTs - do upgrade them. Though the newer tyres are much better than what we had on our E60 5 series, tubeless are still that much more better...
Don't you think cars that provide RFTs as stock tires also have suspension factory tuned accordingly ? I dont have any detailed knowledge about tires and its differences, but recalling what my SA had mentioned once. RFTs have hard edges by construction and suspension is tuned to compensate that roughness. So, going by that theory, if someone swaps it to tubeless, tires and suspension become softer. Correct me if I am talking non-sense

Since we are running on RFTs and it gives less worry on a puncture or air loss like other tires, I am planning to remove my stepney and use that space for something else. Does it sound like a stupid idea ?
Old 17th October 2016, 18:03   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't you think cars that provide RFTs as stock tires also have suspension factory tuned accordingly ? I dont have any detailed knowledge about tires and its differences, but recalling what my SA had mentioned once. RFTs have hard edges by construction and suspension is tuned to compensate that roughness. So, going by that theory, if someone swaps it to tubeless, tires and suspension become softer. Correct me if I am talking non-sense

Since we are running on RFTs and it gives less worry on a puncture or air loss like other tires, I am planning to remove my stepney and use that space for something else. Does it sound like a stupid idea ?
Depending on what car you drive - it may not be a stupid idea provided you're driving in an area with good infrastructure should something untoward happen. Most of the new cars have no provision in the boot for the space saver, and therefore you will see new BMWs and Mercs with the space saver occupying considerable boot space.
For highway drives - please keep the stepney in the vehicle always!

As for the suspension tuning - I personally think that what the SA said is hogwash. I don't understand how better quality, more comfortable tyres would negatively impact suspension and ride in any manner. A more supple ride should result in lesser shocks, etc. being conveyed to the suspension.

Most Viewed