Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2018, 12:37   #421
BHPian

Re: Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I must also add, I have taken my X1 to the worst roads in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala including unpaved village roads without any shape or levelling.
Few queries from my side for a potential buyer of BMW X1
1. During the long trips in Karnataka, Tamilnadu or Kerala, did you face any puncture of RFT? if yes, how did you get it repaired where no BMW authorized service centre is available?
2. If we repair the puncture locally, does it affect warranty? After the repair locally, do we have to change the tyre in BMW authorized service centre to ensure warranty?
3. Is BMW Secure Advance Package part of insurance or BMW service? Is it valid for warranty period or only for one year?
Old 12th August 2018, 13:16   #422
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
1. During the long trips in Karnataka, Tamilnadu or Kerala, did you face any puncture of RFT? if yes, how did you get it repaired where no BMW authorized service centre is available?
2. If we repair the puncture locally, does it affect warranty? After the repair locally, do we have to change the tyre in BMW authorized service centre to ensure warranty?
Can't answer on Question 1 but you can be assured that RFT is just like another Tubeless and you can get the punctured repaired at any place. There is no warranty issue or requirement to change the tyre.

Quote:
3. Is BMW Secure Advance Package part of insurance or BMW service? Is it valid for warranty period or only for one year?

BMW Secure is kind of Insurance which comes free for the First Year only and takes cares of 4 Tyres and rims as well Engine Hydrostatic lock. When you buy your Insurance you can skip the additional Engine protection and save little as it will be covered by BMW in the first Year.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th August 2018 at 13:18.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 14:00   #423
BHPian

Guys! Deciding between the GLA, X1 2WD M Sport and XC40 R Design. Since XC40 has no discounts, i shall refer to it as a benchmark in my post forward:

#3 on the list: GLA 200d: Almost 10 lacs cheaper than the XC40. Thats a huge sum and the car feels good inside out. I felt the performance is sub par, the engine gets noisy and car feels heavy to drive. Also, the car felt low and not SUVish. The spare tire is the boot is also a joke.
Love the cockpit interior with nice spread of ambient lighting. And also no missing the Mercedes Badge. Comes in Red with black interior. Perfect.

#2 on the list: XC40: What a machine. Felt so nimble to drive, punchy, high seating position, tech galore, 10 parking sensors. Overall a perfect package. Relatively cheap to maintain.I wish it came with Volvo-esque discounts.

The interiors are Okish, they do feel high tech but not Plush, nicely built but not lux. Also the Volvo badge is a turndown to family (Not me ofcourse)

#1 on the list: X1 Sdrive MSport: After discounts, alsmost 5 lacs cheaper than XC40. I am not a fan of how X1 looks inside or out. I feel it does look like the cheapest BMW. But with the M Sport Mocha interiors and M Package outside, it does redeem itself to some extent. The drive and seating postion is great and thats about it.
The ambient ligting is a joke as it only illuminates some trim pieces, the cabin remains largely pitch dark in the night (No footwell ligting on the move etc.). Lots of dummy buttons/White space (Center console, steering wheel) which is a turnoff. The instrument cluster (Now with black panel) and 6.5 I Drive feels low resolution.

Leaving these aside, the car is very practical and comfortable. It is a sensible buy hence on the list.

As stated above, no car is perfect and this makes deciding between them much harder.
I am therefore rooting for my Team Bhp community to help me make a choice. I am open to suggestions, we dont require too much space in the car but are looking for a great overall packaged SUV for a family of 3.
Old 12th August 2018, 14:10   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
1. During the long trips in Karnataka, Tamilnadu or Kerala, did you face any puncture of RFT?
I never had a puncture in the last 20 years. I feel the RFT stands stronger than tubeless on a bad road where a puncture is highly possible. About the repair part, I would stick to an authorized tire shop with the right machinery than a road side guy. Only reason being the chance of scraping or damaging the alloys while removing the RFT and I have seen videos of it going wrong. Rest of your questions are already answered before me
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 18:29   #425
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
#1 on the list: X1 Sdrive MSport: After discounts, alsmost 5 lacs cheaper than XC40.
Hi CB,
Is this the X1 MSport FWD or the AWD? What kind of discounts have you been offered? (I have been offered 7 Lacs less on the Ex-Showroom price of 41.5Lacs on the FWD).
AJ
AJo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 19:52   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
Hi CB,
Is this the X1 MSport FWD or the AWD? What kind of discounts have you been offered? (I have been offered 7 Lacs less on the Ex-Showroom price of 41.5Lacs on the FWD).
AJ
I have been quoted 6 lacs over the first couple of meetings for all variants. I am looking at the FWD which is 41.5 Ex-showroom. Best.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 14:43   #427
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
I have been quoted 6 lacs over the first couple of meetings for all variants. I am looking at the FWD which is 41.5 Ex-showroom. Best.
I just got a call from my SA - the 7 lacs is on the OTR.
AJ
Old 13th August 2018, 14:46   #428
BHPian

Quote:
I just got a call from my SA - the 7 lacs is on the OTR.
AJ
Wait till December if you can. There will be definitely better deals available during that time.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 16:10   #429
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Wait till December if you can. There will be definitely better deals available during that time.
Well one of the reasons for looking at a purchase now is the Sept-end depreciation benefit claim. As per SA - "The X1 Msport FWD has just been introduced in July18, so the discounts are limited". (Hope he is wrong)
Old 13th August 2018, 16:16   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Well one of the reasons for looking at a purchase now is the Sept-end depreciation benefit claim. As per SA - "The X1 Msport FWD has just been introduced in July18, so the discounts are limited". (Hope he is wrong)
Then push for higher discount by confirming your final buying price and let them back calculate. You can also contact Mumbai dealer in case Pune dealer doesn't reduce the price.

If you are okay with picking a car from their current stock, I see no reason for not offering better price.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 17:30   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys! Deciding between the GLA, X1 2WD M Sport and XC40 R Design. Since XC40
I would say pick the Volvo. I have seen a couple here in Bangalore and the car is an absolute head turner. Only area where the X1 is clearly ahead is the drive experience on highways and open roads. But the X1 is not a traditional BMW in the sense that it is not RWD. Honestly at city speeds this factor is irrelevant given the low average speeds these days. I'd even say that the softer Volvo will be much easier to live with given its softer setup (better ride quality).

For a 3 member family, the slightly lesser space in the XC40 won't hurt much. Lots of kit, stunning looks, well received globally - XC40 should be on top of your list!
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 22:19   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys! Deciding between the GLA, X1 2WD M Sport and XC40 R Design.

I am therefore rooting for my Team Bhp community to help me make a choice. I am open to suggestions, we dont require too much space in the car but are looking for a great overall packaged SUV for a family of 3.
BMW X1 MSport sDrive hands down.

You have owned VW Passat and prefer a good handling machinery. Nothing would come close to X1 coupled with M Sport suspension.

Space wise X1 wins. Get the BSI + Secure package and you don't have to worry about maintenance plus get extended warranty for 6 years.

XC40 looks new, but wouldn't connect on any account be it drive, power, space or handling. Looks maybe rear and interior. Front X1 M Sport looks best.

I'm averse to electronics and like to keep things simple which is why X1 Expedition. XC40 has too much going on.

Go ahead with Bimmer and you would have a plastered every time you floor that accelerator.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 23:36   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I would say pick the Volvo. I have seen a couple here in Bangalore and the car is an absolute head turner. Only area where the X1 is clearly ahead is the drive experience on highways and open roads. But the X1 is not a traditional BMW in the sense that it is not RWD. Honestly at city speeds this factor is irrelevant given the low average speeds these days. I'd even say that the softer Volvo will be much easier to live with given its softer setup (better ride quality).

For a 3 member family, the slightly lesser space in the XC40 won't hurt much. Lots of kit, stunning looks, well received globally - XC40 should be on top of your list!
I was thinking about this too. Infact given that general public won't exceed speed limit or at-least more than 25%, driving dynamics hardly matter.

But M-Sport suspension and the lowered ride height makes a lot of difference. The car doesn't wobble / rock as the suspension is on the stiffer side and also the suspension travel is much lesser. I find this setup much comfortable and similar to a Sedan. M-Sport suspension is perfectly tuned for comfort and handling. I have already driven close to 5k kms and GC is fantastic even when compared to Jetta.

Maybe, I have got used to the stiffer suspension after using Bilstein. Or maybe I have got used to the Sedan and dislike SUVish ride. But I would recommend a proper test-drive before taking a decision.

BMW is not just about Engine + Gearbox + Handling. Volvo falls short of the features it offers with it's Gearbox. For example, in X1, if we use paddle shifts, it will automatically go back to auto mode if we take the foot of the accelerator for 3 seconds. But in case of a Volvo, we have to shift the lever to manual mode and then again shift to auto, to bring it back to auto.

There is a lot one misses in a Volvo as an enthusiast.

But if I have to change my car when I get closer to 60, I would consider a Volvo because of the safety features it offers; just in case I doze off while driving!
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 20:41   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe loser View Post
i saw a new x1 in a new colour in mysore yesterday, was looking nice. I believe now the instrument cluster is completely digital and some changes have been updated on the i drive too.
I test drove the X1 recently. The instrument cluster is not digital, though it has been cleverly disguised to go almost completely dark with the ignition off. This makes it look like a digital display. It's a faux digital instrument panel. I did like how it looked though.

One of the new iDrive changes is wireless Apple carplay. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed seeing my iPhone X connect with the iDrive without even plugging it in.

I also noticed the system is now a touchscreen. Not sure how long it has been a touchscreen.

Last edited by nd4$pd : 19th August 2018 at 20:44.
nd4$pd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 12:32   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4$pd View Post
I test drove the X1 recently
And my new X1 comes home.
Sold my beloved 6.5 years old Honda City.
The X1 now has the XUV for company.
Test drove the GLA, the Q3, the X1 and the XC40 and settled for the X1.
I love how it drives (the sportiest of the lot) but feature wise it is a lot behind the Volvo.
Hoping to enjoy many miles with it.

nd4$pd is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed