Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2016, 19:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata wants your help in renaming the Zica! (Edit: Now renamed Tiago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Agreed. For that reason I suggested "Zipp". Solid single-syllable name that suits a small fast car. And close enough to Zica that it still has some of the association retained.
They already have Tata Ace Zip, and they are looking for a 5-6 letter name.

Last edited by Latheesh : 7th February 2016 at 19:19.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 19:28   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this may have been triggered due to pressure from the Messi Camp. The Zika Virus is currently wreaking the most havoc in South America and it would have been probably bad publicity for Messi and a bad impact to his image. His management may have pushed Tata into this renaming. His coming on board as Brand Ambassador would have cost Tata heavily and the cost of renaming is probably less than the loss if Messi were to back out.

Other than that, just for India, I don't really see why Tata needs to go through this whole re-branding exercise just days from launch. As already mentioned in previous posts, we have our share of weird names and I don't think the name would impact the success/failure of the car in any way. Over a period of time we just get used to it. I also find it hard to believe that this is just Corporate Social Responsibility.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 20:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think this may have been triggered due to pressure from the Messi Camp. The Zika Virus is currently wreaking the most havoc in South America and it would have been probably bad publicity for Messi and a bad impact to his image. His management may have pushed Tata into this renaming. His coming on board as Brand Ambassador would have cost Tata heavily and the cost of renaming is probably less than the loss if Messi were to back out.

Other than that, just for India, I don't really see why Tata needs to go through this whole re-branding exercise just days from launch. As already mentioned in previous posts, we have our share of weird names and I don't think the name would impact the success/failure of the car in any way. Over a period of time we just get used to it. I also find it hard to believe that this is just Corporate Social Responsibility.
I think Tata rightly is being super cautious and does not want to take any chance. They have spent crores building this car, don't want people to say that they are not buying Zica just because it sounds like Zika virus. Currently in India there are no reported case of Zika but who knows what will happen 1 month down the line. If it hits us badly then that would be a disaster for Tata.

Also, while they have spent a bit promoting Zica brand name, their decision to not launch this car with Zica name has given them a fair amount of free publicity. Also, the crowdsourcing they are doing to gather idea for naming the car from consumers is giving them more mileage.

2016 is an important year for Tata with some brilliant cars like Kite (Zica), Kite 5, Hexa and Nexon to be launched. Nothing can be left to chance, and for once we would want perfection from Tata in everything they do and that is what is reflected in this as well.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 21:58   #49
BHPian

Since Zica resembles Zika (Virus), Tata can name it Tika (Vaccine in Hindi)
But on a serious note, I think Tata Flop should perfect
CarNerd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 20:15   #50
BHPian

Tata has received sufficiently large number of alternatives through crowd-sourcing to replace the name 'Zica'. It is currently in the process of short-listing top names amongst all the suggestions it received.

10 short-listed names will be released next week on their website. In phase 2 starting next week for about about 7 days, Tata will ask users to vote for their favourite name through a poll. The name that receives the highest vote will replace Zica.

First week of March is when the new name will be unveiled with official bookings commencing at the same time. Launch will happen in the last week of March.

Last edited by damager21 : 13th February 2016 at 20:23.
damager21 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 08:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
10 short-listed names will be released next week on their website. In phase 2 starting next week for about about 7 days, Tata will ask users to vote for their favourite name through a poll. The name that receives the highest vote will replace Zica.

Oh man! This is so susceptible to social engineering it isn't even funny. Why would Tata think this as a good idea? If some Anonymous group decided to play with this, they are gonna pick the worst name of the lot and then pile on the votes till they win. Not to mention someone (read: rivals) could specifically ask some companies to register and vote just to push towards a specific non-catchy name.

Are Tata that angry with their internal team that they are leaving it to the choice of the masses?
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 11:22   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Oh man! This is so susceptible to social engineering it isn't even funny. Why would Tata think this as a good idea? If some Anonymous group decided to play with this, they are gonna pick the worst name of the lot and then pile on the votes till they win. Not to mention someone (read: rivals) could specifically ask some companies to register and vote just to push towards a specific non-catchy name.

Are Tata that angry with their internal team that they are leaving it to the choice of the masses?
Agreed. More than the common man (i.e. masses), voters in this drama would be us limited enthusiasts and many other car companies. Giant market leaders can literally change the fate of Zica by choosing a less-catchy name. Tata's strategy may work against it.
Old 14th February 2016, 11:45   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Agreed. More than the common man (i.e. masses), voters in this drama would be us limited enthusiasts and many other car companies. Giant market leaders can literally change the fate of Zica by choosing a less-catchy name. Tata's strategy may work against it.
Let's not forget that in the first place, Tata will be selecting top 10 names. So they will put up only those names with which they are comfortable. Secondly, the voting will be happening on their website and hence they will have access to all the data in terms of IP address of people who visited the site and who participated. I am sure they would be able to figure out if competition is playing foul. There is a high possibility that one may require to register or use social login before participating.

Lastly, given that this voting is happening on their platform, there is always a possibility that Tata has already selected the name and internally they can just inflate the number of votes for the name of their choice. Does not matter what competition is doing.

I am not saying that they will do this but they do have control.
damager21 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 13:02   #54
BHPian

Tata always meets such unfortunate situation , but this time they are taking precautionary measure which is good indeed.

It is better to scrap some brochures n nameplates than scrapping of complete car project.
Old 15th February 2016, 14:27   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

also what actually would they lose, paper can easily be recycled. Some printing cost, which would be negligible.

Zica name has Z for zest and i for indica, all of badges can be easily reused.

I agree with their approach, they really need to get people involved. Zest being a great car has not done well, bolt never took off. This might just help them a bit more.
Old 15th February 2016, 17:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

They wasted a very good name -IRIS- by applying it to a joke of a vehicle.

Now they can rename the Zica as Karma. Tata Karma.
Old 16th February 2016, 10:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
They wasted a very good name -IRIS- by applying it to a joke of a vehicle.

Now they can rename the Zica as Karma. Tata Karma.
Why can't they use the name Pixel?
Old 18th February 2016, 19:41   #58
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The three names that have made it to the final round of voting have been chosen. They are:

1) Civet

2) Tiago

3) Adore

Choose your pick!

Voting is now open on their site (requires login with either Facebook or Twitter or Google).

This is a huge wasted opportunity as far as I'm concerned. They claim to have received 37,000+ names, and they've ended up choosing these three not-so-catchy ones. Even Zica sounds better than these three!

I heartily appreciated them for turning an unpleasant situation (with a name resembling the Zika virus) into a huge marketing opportunity, but they've managed to make a mess of it.

None of the three names is special in any manner. IMHO, a golden opportunity has been squandered!

Last edited by RSR : 18th February 2016 at 20:07.
RSR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 19:45   #59
Team-BHP Support

If those really are the choices, I've got a new one for them. Name it 'Whatever!' because that's the exact reaction it's going to get with names from that list.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 20:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Tiago sounds the most suitable of the lot.
Civet is a nocturnal animal and Adore is just another verb.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks